• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

Azuardo

Ah well, no idea then. Shitty wireless connection?

Yep, basically. tbf, it has improved a lot since I opened PS4 ports and put it in DMZ. I have to deal with it until we get faster broadband in this area, unfortunately, but trust me when I say it's not as bad it was before I did that. Shin and Cocod can attest to that lol.

Azuardo

Shin that match of ours there is all sorts of fucked. You can tell by looking at it that there was lag because lots of stupid inputs were showing from both of us. That replay definitely doesn't represent the actual match, haha.

I must say, it was pretty generous of TN to include 2 bikini packs and the 2013 Halloween packs in LR. I suspect they all sold well on consoles, so I was suprized to see them show up for free. I lost quite a few outfits moving from 360 to PC, so Im glad theres a bunch I dont have to re-buy.

ShinMaruku

Shin that match of ours there is all sorts of fucked. You can tell by looking at it that there was lag because lots of stupid inputs were showing from both of us. That replay definitely doesn't represent the actual match, haha.

That match could have ended up that way regardless because fuck that stage and fuck both of those characters. XD

Eolz

I must say, it was pretty generous of TN to include 2 bikini packs and the 2013 Halloween packs in LR. I suspect they all sold well on consoles, so I was suprized to see them show up for free. I lost quite a few outfits moving from 360 to PC, so Im glad theres a bunch I dont have to re-buy.

2013 halloween was only free for pc preorders due to the delay though :p
Wish it was the case on console, loved those costumes (unlike 2014)

2013 halloween was only free for pc preorders due to the delay though :p
Wish it was the case on console, loved those costumes (unlike 2014)

Ah, I assumed they were free on console too. I agree with you that the 2013 Halloween pack was better than 2014's.

Demoskinos

I dunno...overall I think both Halloween packs had their highlights. I liked the 2013 Rachel costume better but then stuff like 2014's Momiji costume are way better than her dumb mummy costume from 2013. So its give and take. But can we just all agree that Jann Lee's Dragon Costume is the best costume in the game? Shame its on such a shit character but man is that thing awesome.

Eolz

I dunno...overall I think both Halloween packs had their highlights. I liked the 2013 Rachel costume better but then stuff like 2014's Momiji costume are way better than her dumb mummy costume from 2013. So its give and take. But can we just all agree that Jann Lee's Dragon Costume is the best costume in the game? Shame its on such a shit character but man is that thing awesome.

That's only because Bananakira wasn't added despite winning the contest :p

bananakira_deus_zps03a6e8b3.jpg

Azuardo

Well the fight won't start till about 4am my time anyway haha.

But I am chilling for a bit atm. I can get on in maybe 30-60 mins?

Azuardo

lmao that glitch. Didn't happen on my end, but I have seen it happen when spectating others' fights before.

I wanna GIF it, but not sure of a GIF creator that lets you zoom in on a part of the vid lol.

I want to make a series of video tutorials about how to get into fighting games. Below is a rough draft of what I'm thinking of putting together. I just started it an hour ago, so it has a ton of gaps. I'm hoping folks here will give me feedback on the structure, as well as subjects that should be included, so that it can be a more full presentation for those wanting to learn. Even the main categories aren't set in stone, but it's how I think of things - maybe someone here will have a better breakdown.

I. Mechanics
a. Attacks​
i. Hitboxes
ii. Hurtboxes
iii. Priority
iv. Invincibility
v. Clashing​
b. Frame Data​
i. Frame Rates
ii. Frame Advantage
iii. Frame Disadvantage
iv. Safe Moves
v. Unsafe Moves​
c. Resource Management​
i. Meter
ii. Bursts
iii. Health
iv. Timer​
II. Psychology
a. Neutral​
i. Spacing
ii. Pokes
iii. Openings
iv. Rushing
v. Predictability​
b. Offense​
i. Frame Traps
ii. Option Selects
iii. Mixups​
1. Overheads
2. Lows
3. Grabs
4. Tick Throws​
iv. Predictability​
c. Defense​
i. Predictability​
III. Execution
a. Controllers
b. Pressure
c. Combos
d. Muscle Memory vs. Visual vs. Audio Cues
e. Pressing Buttons With Intention​
IV. Playing and Learning
a. Picking a Game
b. Picking a Character​
i. Watch Videos​
c. Forums
d. Videos
e. Feedback​
i. Be Critical​
f. Playing Matches​
i. Locals
ii. Online Play​
g. Training Mode​
i. Have Goals​

ShinMaruku

I can give you some pointers on certain areas. Like say for example
:
II. Psychology

a. Neutral

i. Spacing
ii. Pokes
iii. Openings
iv. Rushing
v. Predictability
These clips will go into some of those points
i: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sBd8Qj5scmQ#t=45 As you see Misty whiffed her kicks and I swept her spacing her out. If you have a move like that you can do some good spacing. This can also be put in predictability. People who know string can be baited into trying to counter it when you change and knowing what punishment they try you can reverse it on them.

ii&v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N6f8kVC97DI#t=68 You see where I used my punch to poke and simultaneously bait a hold because he thought the rest of the combo was coming and I threw him negating his old and getting damage. The triangle system at work.

iii: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N6f8kVC97DI#t=67 You see when she get into the air and I knock her out of the air, it's a mix of frames and opening. Since she missed I can put out a quick poke that sets up a opening.

Anyone here use Umod for textures?
I made a basic Lisa texture (swimsuit color change) and at first it worked fine in the game, via Umod. Then I decided I wanted to take my new DDS file and put it in a new Windows folder. Then I added the updated new file to Umod, so it would have the right directory, but it wont display the new texture in game now.
I cant seem to delete my old edited DDS file from Umod either. It has the error message next to it "could not read file from F: etc" (because the directory was deleted by me), but when I click on "Remove Selected Packages", it doesnt get deleted. Could this be related to why Umod wont recognize my updated texture file? Damn computers :mad:

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Anyone here use Umod for textures?
I made a basic Lisa texture (swimsuit color change) and at first it worked fine in the game, via Umod. Then I decided I wanted to take my new DDS file and put it in a new Windows folder. Then I added the updated new file to Umod, so it would have the right directory, but it wont display the new texture in game now.
I cant seem to delete my old edited DDS file from Umod either. It has the error message next to it "could not read file from F: etc" (because the directory was deleted by me), but when I click on "Remove Selected Packages", it doesnt get deleted. Could this be related to why Umod wont recognize my updated texture file? Damn computers :mad:

Right click, remove files from package, drag and drop them again all while still doing the intro stuff for safety since uMod somtimes like to crash when doing things on the fly.

Right click, remove files from package, drag and drop them again all while still doing the intro stuff for safety since uMod somtimes like to crash when doing things on the fly.

Thanks. It was your FSD guide that got me this far. I somehow managed to change the name of the texture file I made before, so the game couldnt see it. I have no idea how it happened. All I can remember doing is moving the file from one folder to another.
The colors are pretty messed up now though for some reason. I basically made Lisas Mach bikni light blue (left shoes etc default white color), but now there are large black parts mixed into the costume. Lisas shoes are black too. Im sure it looked fine when I originally tested it. I feel like Homer, setting that bowl of cornflakes on fire here.
When I create the new top layer in Photoshop to edit, should I delete the old/original one underneath it before saving? Also, should all the minimap layers be visible before I export it from PS?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Thanks. It was your FSD guide that got me this far. I somehow managed to change the name of the texture file I made before, so the game couldnt see it. I have no idea how it happened. All I can remember doing is moving the file from one folder to another.
The colors are pretty messed up now though for some reason. I basically made Lisas Mach bikni light blue (left shoes etc default white color), but now there are large black parts mixed into the costume. Lisas shoes are black too. Im sure it looked fine when I originally tested it. I feel like Homer, setting that bowl of cornflakes on fire here.
When I create the new top layer in Photoshop to edit, should I delete the old/original one underneath it before saving? Also, should all the minimap layers be visible before I export it from PS?

You could merge all layers and then save it. You should keep everything as it is.

onimonkii

Banned
don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the price on steam is back to the pre-order price until june 30th.

for anyone wondering when the online is coming for that version, that's a pretty safe bet i'd say.

"within" 3 months. haha

Eolz

I want to make a series of video tutorials about how to get into fighting games. Below is a rough draft of what I'm thinking of putting together. I just started it an hour ago, so it has a ton of gaps. I'm hoping folks here will give me feedback on the structure, as well as subjects that should be included, so that it can be a more full presentation for those wanting to learn. Even the main categories aren't set in stone, but it's how I think of things - maybe someone here will have a better breakdown.

Sounds good to me.
Would probably change the order of some stuff though, always bugs me out when guides supposedly for newcomers talk about advanced stuff (like getting really in detail about framedata) from the beginning, instead of keeping that for later. Always better to talk about the interesting/appealing features first imo.

don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the price on steam is back to the pre-order price until june 30th.

for anyone wondering when the online is coming for that version, that's a pretty safe bet i'd say.

"within" 3 months. haha

Uh. Nice.

Stream up: www.twitch.tv/shinmaruku
Some pros are on at the moment.
Roll call for Gaf Lobby?

Probably won't play tonight, pretty tired those last few days.

AdamT

Introduced DOA (PS3 version, I only have one controller on PS4) to a newbie who's only fighting game experience was MK. I suggested Rig and showed him the basics. He picked it up fast and mixed moves up enough to catch me off guard. I turned on throwdowns to see how he'd do online. A respectable 4-1 against LR and F's. Last I checked he was downloading Core Fighters when he got back. Looks like I have someone around my level to play with finally.

Kuksune

Introduced DOA (PS3 version, I only have one controller on PS4) to a newbie who's only fighting game experience was MK. I suggested Rig and showed him the basics. He picked it up fast and mixed moves up enough to catch me off guard. I turned on throwdowns to see how he'd do online. A respectable 4-1 against LR and F's. Last I checked he was downloading Core Fighters when he got back. Looks like I have someone around my level to play with finally.

Good to hear that. Who else does he play?

AdamT

Good to hear that. Who else does he play?
I'll have to check back tonight and see what he's played. I also showed him Tina, Kasumi and Christie in Versus. I assume he'll try whichever Core Fighter appeals to him most and go from there.

I hope a relatively easy way to export edited meshes appears soon. The only guy who really knows how to do it now doesnt speak English too well and apparently you need to know about modding xbox 360 models. Its too complicated for me.
I worry some of those modders will lose interest in this game, before a simple process can be discovered.

I hope a relatively easy way to export edited meshes appears soon. The only guy who really knows how to do it now doesnt speak English too well and apparently you need to know about modding xbox 360 models. Its too complicated for me.
I worry some of those modders will lose interest in this game, before a simple process can be discovered.
Not gonna happen, you've got nothing to worry about. just be patient :>

Top Bottom