• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 4 Announced (XB1/PC, Holiday 2016) Gameplay Trailer

It's OK, pro-timer friends. We can just replay the first one if we're not feeling limited enough!

I dunno why but I loved the timer. Added a sense of urgency I guess.

The demo is so damn fun. The weapons are crazy. That powersuit is soooo awesome! My fav of the show.

Some things I learned talking to a Capcom Vancouver rep:

1. They will not be talking exact resolution nor framerate at E3, but frame rate is already improved from DR3.

2. Game is already running more zombies on screen than DR3.

3. There will be more variety of zombies than DR3.

4. DR4 uses improved version of DR3 engine. Development started 8 months after finishing DR3.

5. Capcom Vancouver is developing, MS is pubilishing. 1 year exclusive with MS. Slightly different deal than DR3.

A year...

Guess I'll grab it on Xbox. No timer is cool.

DOWN

Banned
The demo is so damn fun. The weapons are crazy. That powersuit is soooo awesome! My fav of the show.

1. They will not be talking exact resolution nor framerate at E3, but frame rate is already improved from DR3.

4. DR4 uses improved version of DR3 engine. Development started 8 months after finishing DR3.

5. Capcom Vancouver is developing, MS is pubilishing. 1 year exclusive with MS. Slightly different deal than DR3.
Different publishing deal could mean PS4 port I hope
So this is the same kind of exclusive SFV is as well?

No. SFV is permanent exclusive on PS4 and not coming to Xbox. Sony literally paid for the game's development.

Seyavesh

It's OK, pro-timer friends. We can just replay the first one if we're not feeling limited enough!

I dunno why but I loved the timer. Added a sense of urgency I guess.

its the crux for the entire design of the game in terms of adding challenge and urgency to the game rather having it just be a zombie killing themepark that could be easily replicated by any moron

specifically, it's used as a method of generating importance to your actions as items have effectively unlimited stores (this is why that's changed in infinity mode btw)- learning the environment, planning routes and dealing with surprises that change up your plans in terms of supplies and routing all relies on the timer existing. without it always being a factor everything loses meaning and the game becomes a boring sandbox with little interactivity or consequence- it's the effective equivalent of playing RE1 or 2 with unlimited ammunition and infinite health because the challenge doesn't lie in survival given ideal circumstances, it's about adaptation and flexibility given increasingly dire situations.

DR1 at it's core is an evolution of the survival horror genre in a brilliant way that is actually like, unbelievable in it's design. there's a very deliberate and well thought out placement of items (both out in the world and in terms of stores), locations and general pacing- it's not nearly praised enough as it should be due to these key factors being 'unfun' since folks feel pressured by incredibly basic consequences

edit:
DR2 actually follows these principles quite well but with pretty heavy loosening on consequences through the timer being less important alongside removing a lot of the factors of adaptability due to crafted weapons and environmental enemy changes being less prevalent- the abundance of crafted weapons and workrooms lets players always have lots of powerful weapons onhand, rendering those tight situations rather rare and toothless

its the crux for the entire design of the game in terms of adding challenge and urgency to the game rather having it just be a zombie killing themepark that could be easily replicated by any moron

specifically, it's used as a method of generating importance to your actions as items have effectively unlimited stores (this is why that's changed in infinity mode btw)- learning the environment, planning routes and dealing with surprises that change up your plans in terms of supplies and routing all relies on the timer existing. without it always being a factor everything loses meaning and the game becomes a boring sandbox with little interactivity or consequence- it's the effective equivalent of playing RE1 or 2 with unlimited ammunition and infinite health because the challenge doesn't lie in survival given ideal circumstances, it's about adaptation and flexibility given increasingly dire situations.

DR1 at it's core is an evolution of the survival horror genre in a brilliant way that is actually like, unbelievable in it's design. there's a very deliberate and well thought out placement of items (both out in the world and in terms of stores), locations and general pacing- it's not nearly praised enough as it should be due to these key factors being 'unfun' since folks feel pressured by incredibly basic consequences

edit:
DR2 actually follows these principles but with pretty heavy loosening on consequences through a pretty large loosening of the timer alongside removing a lot of the factors of adaptability due to crafted weapons and environmental enemy changes being less prevalent- the abundance of crafted weapons and workrooms lets players always have lots of powerful weapons onhand

I never played any of the sequels but you nailed what made the original such a special game. The timer never felt unfair. It gave the game that Groundhog Day experience of becoming an expert over time and eventually tearing through an area in two minutes that gave you a ton of trouble previously (like fighting those psychopaths out in the courtyard).

DOWN

Banned

wut? It isn't UE4?

Fuck.
Yeah that's sad to hear. Dead Rising 1 was incredibly clean and smooth looking. It was that MT Framework gold. It got worse with two which dropped the motion blur and framerate, and then 3 was just a total mess tech wise.

Yeah that's sad to hear. Dead Rising 1 was incredibly clean and smooth looking. It was that MT Framework gold. It got worse with two which dropped the motion blur and framerate, and then 3 was just a total mess tech wise.

Drama much? The game plays fine now. Sure, it was rough at launch but that's the joy of launching a game at console launch window. By contrast, DR 1 launched a year after 360 IIRC.

Thank god, if true. I'm still crossing my fingers on DR3 getting released on PS4 as a "remastered edition" or "Super Special Edition" or something.

DR is one of my favorite series, I simply can't miss out. Especially with Frank West. Still hope he's a smart ass character wise with same voice actor.

After the horror stories of Windows Store I'm not sure I'll get it on PC, though running it at 60FPS would be nice... I'm sure it'll be 30 on console. I'm not waiting for a year minimum to play it on PS4 with the timed exclusive deal MS has.

Tohsaka

Does that mean no Steam version for a year, too?

Chinner

Banned

edit:
DR2 actually follows these principles quite well but with pretty heavy loosening on consequences through the timer being less important alongside removing a lot of the factors of adaptability due to crafted weapons and environmental enemy changes being less prevalent- the abundance of crafted weapons and workrooms lets players always have lots of powerful weapons onhand, rendering those tight situations rather rare and toothless
This guy gets it.

For those that played through DR3, I have a question about the plot. I played the first two games but never played the third. However, I read that in one of the endings for DR3 it's revealed that
Isabella is apparently behind the outbreak in 3?
Does that make any sense in regards to the plot?
She helped Frank in the first game to stop her brother and was looking for a cure to the outbreak in the Case West DLC. Then all of a sudden she turns heel? It sounded really stupid and kind of pissed me off when I heard about it.
I really haven't been super happy with Capcom Vancouver's handling of the series to be honest.

edit:

You nailed what makes DR so special. Removing it is like remomoving the three days in Majora's Mask, which would be akin to ripping out the heart of that game.

Now DR is just another mindless zombie slaughter game, as if we don't have enough of these already.

nobody wants the same game philosophy of dark souls in this series but you. keep that shit out of here.

seems like people are forgetting the general idea of DR. Now its the Dynasty Warriors of Zombies but it wasn't when they had an achievement to kill 53,594 zombies in the first game?
Dead Rising 1 and to a lesser extent the second game already shared a somewhat similar underlying design philosophy though, so Chinner's observation isn't the odd one out.

That achievement remark (a joke or flavor objective at the most) is also reaching, considering you didn't have an abundance of kill count grind spots + mass killing weaponry / vehicles in spades at this level of potency:

dr4f0ur3.gif

For those that played through DR3, I have a question about the plot. I played the first two games but never played the third. However, I read that in one of the endings for DR3 it's revealed that
Isabella is apparently behind the outbreak in 3?
Does that make any sense in regards to the plot?
She helped Frank in the first game to stop her brother and was looking for a cure to the outbreak in the Case West DLC. Then all of a sudden she turns heel? It sounded really stupid and kind of pissed me off when I heard about it.
I really haven't been super happy with Capcom Vancouver's handling of the series to be honest.
It really was asinine character development. The justification behind it all was that
she caused 3's outbreak out of spite, so that her cure would redeem her family name after simultaneously exposing the shady on-goings of both the government and wheelchair's lady pharmaceutical company. Or something along those lines to follow the seven deadly sins thematic.
Idiotic twist.

Dead Rising 1 and to a lesser extent the second game already shared a somewhat similar underlying design philosophy though, so Chinner's observation isn't the odd one out.

That achievement remark (a joke or flavor objective at the most) is also reaching, considering you didn't have an abundance of kill count grind spots + mass killing weaponry / vehicles in spades at this level of potency:

dr4f0ur3.gif

DR3 was pretty bad with the steamroller motorcycle, but that vehicle looks absolutely ridiculous.

Plasma

Banned
So I take it after the ending of Dead Rising 3 Frank has been cured and won't have to take zombrex all the time in this right?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Honest question. Why are people assuming that the 1-year publishing deal means that the game is coming to PS4?

I can see it meaning that the game will be released on Steam after a year, besides being on the W10 Store. The only recent example I can think of is Rise of the Tomb Raider. But was published by Square Enix, so it's a different case, though. In this case, Microsoft is publishing the game. Is it any common for a game to have a publisher for only a year, then switch to another one to release on other platforms?

Don't get your hopes up for a PS4 version people. It could simply mean it will only hit Steam after a year. Similar to 3.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

sangreal

Me too. From that Press Release.

I hope the guy got something wrong. :p

I think this is what it means, too.

The fact sheet I posted above says: