• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Discussion (12/2016 trailer)

New tweet:

More about the tech behind #DeathStranding is to be unveiled @ #PSX. #decima

7Gj0QeQ.png

Now I am confused.

- I think it's set in a post-apocalyptic world where there's a corporation that uses babies to suck some kind of energy from, my guess is "Life Energy", (from their belly button? that's why Reedus' is stitched?).

- That "Life Energy" is used to control the dead or bring them back to life?

- Mads' character, the villain, is the head of said corporation.

- After sucking "Life" from the babies they're held captive, hence the handcuffs, till they grow up and then forced to produce new babies.

- Reedus somehow escapes.

- Del Toro looks like an employee of said corporation that's gone rogue and trying to save a baby. Maybe family.

EDIT:

- Maybe the trailer is a flashback and the baby that's Del Toro is saving is Baby Reedus?

- And Mad's character doesn't age because he's using that "Life Energy".
Which would explain it if he'd be there after ~20 years when Reedus is grown up.

I think the story will be an allegory about war and how it shapes human relations, how past war shaped us and how they still haunt the present. Past dead soldiers being used by a present soldier to fight (as a tool to justify the violent present?) and normal people trying to save their future sons from the atrocities of the war.

Hexa

Thank you.

Also, theres going to be a special panel with Kojima at 1pm pst/ 4pm est.
I don't think that we'll see more Death Standing at the PSX keynote because they already revealed this trailer and have a separate panel announced.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

the baby has his left eye closed because he represents solid snake aka old snake with the solid eye when snake was at his death but kojima was ROBBED of solid snake story the epic METAL GEAR odyssey by evil konami so death standing is a metaphor symbolic of kojima an auteur robbed of his vision robbed of his art it STOLEN from him like a babe from the mothers milk the baby is so young and volnerable and pure but into the poison blackness it is thrown and from it is born violence and conflict and mads micky-san is linked to undead ww2 soldiers because the CYCLE OF VIOLENCE continues forever (aka the cycle of publisher corruption and destruction of true video game art) and only through death stranding will be free ourselves from creative corruption to be reborn into METAL GEAR SOLID V: CHAPTER 3.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
So i'm wondering if Decima (modified sucker punch engine) has real time lighting now. Can't wait to see more details on as i'll be looking out for the next game from Sucker Punch too.

As a tone-piece, I'm all about this shit. Love the setting and the intermingling of sci-fi, steam punk, and WWII. And of course, Mads is awesome... always plays a creepy-as-hell villain.

Game still probably isn't coming out until 2019, but it's got my attention now.

Rafus

All trailer looked as a ingame with steroids graphics, but the last face was clearly CG.
The technology used is as weird and confusing as the trailer lol

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Protecting a baby from weirdly handsome demon man reminds me a lot of Labyrinth, Kojima does love a Bowie nod or two.

platina

the baby has his left eye closed because he represents solid snake aka old snake with the solid eye when snake was at his death but kojima was ROBBED of solid snake story the epic METAL GEAR odyssey by evil konami so death standing is a metaphor symbolic of kojima an auteur robbed of his vision robbed of his art it STOLEN from him like a babe from the mothers milk the baby is so young and volnerable and pure but into the poison blackness it is thrown and from it is born violence and conflict and mads micky-san is linked to undead ww2 soldiers because the CYCLE OF VIOLENCE continues forever (aka the cycle of publisher corruption and destruction of true video game art) and only through death stranding will be free ourselves from creative corruption to be reborn into METAL GEAR SOLID V: CHAPTER 3.

I've always found things like this to be incredibly cringe worthy. "The handcuffs mean Kojima was shackled to Konami's oppression" or "Norman is Kojima and the baby is his creation (metal gear) and he is crying because he had to let his franchise go." Fucking cringe, it's clear the baby has a much bigger role in the game.

vivekTO

All trailer looked as a ingame with steroids graphics, but the last face was clearly CG.
The technology used is as weird and confusing as the trailer lol

Mads face is not cg , you can see the polygons around his finger, nose and mouth. its not tesellated. but the skin shader is phenomenal.

Necro900

So, many speculate this will be a mix of MG and Silent Hills.

What if another confirmation that this is the case is that Metal Gear: Survive crap that Konami showed?
Maybe Kojima left some notes in the office before leaving and Konami found them, lol.

ghostjoke

Banned
I'm beginning to think that MGS wasn't an expression of Kojima's insanity but a constraint on it. Bring on 2019 and the intermediate teasing.

Del Toro just tweeted 'FUCK KONAMI'

Nice. Fuck Konami News next Jimquisition is going to be amazing.

Followed up tweet:

Somehow this might all end up working out for the better. Just drop Junji Ito's name next trailer and life is complete.

Rafus

Mads face is not cg , you can see the polygons around his finger, nose and mouth. its not tesellated. but the skin shader is phenomenal.

No no, I'm talking about the last shot, the close-up where he smiles. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but it looked to me that it had more detail on the curves of the mouth, nose, eyes... Like a higher poly model than the same face on other shots, or Guillermo's face.
I saw everything else more polygonal. But maybe it's just my impression.

Top Bottom