• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Discussion (12/2016 trailer)

With that knowledge, do you have more faith that Death Stranding will look as good as the "real time trailers" we've seen so far?

I have all the faith in the world in that being the case. Kojima intentionally misleads us on so many things, but he's never been one to mislead us on what we're getting visually. He says that the end product will look much better than what we saw and despite being blown away by what I've seen already, I believe him. Questioning whether or not the game will look as good as the teasers hasn't even crossed my mind. I'm confident it will.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Now that PT has been datamined it has been determined that the end cutscene with Norman Reedus walking around is running in real time on the PS4 (models and animations for this scene have been ripped).

With that knowledge, do you have more faith that Death Stranding will look as good as the "real time trailers" we've seen so far?
That scene was pre-rendered. The models and animations were ripped because they existed in the demo's files like those unused enemies.

velociraptor

Wow that trailer was intense. I loved it. Kojima is a genius. I have a feeling that this might surpass the Metal Gear Solid series in terms of quality.

I haven't really played or finished many video games in the past year or so and I've been losing interest, but this might draw me back in. Goddamn.

That scene was pre-rendered. The models and animations were ripped because they existed in the demo's files like those unused enemies.

I highly doubt that they would leave in every single model, shaders s, and textures from the end cutscene (Including textures for all of the text IE: "Hideo Kojima", "Guillermo Del Toro", and four different textures of the Silent Hill(s) logo)

Maybe if they left in a model or two but the entire cutscene data is in the rip. There is a whole model of just Norman Reedus walking down the street performing the actions from said scene.

Crossing Eden

I highly doubt that they would leave in every single model, shaders s, and textures from the end cutscene (Including textures for all of the text IE: "Hideo Kojima", "Guillermo Del Toro", and four different textures of the Silent Hill(s) logo)

Maybe if they left in a model or two but the entire cutscene data is in the rip. There is a whole model of just Norman Reedus walking down the street performing the actions from said scene.
Just like they wouldn't leave in character models from the full game? A demo is just a slice of a full game and suddenly yanking things out would lead to a bad time, that's the reason datamining is so common is because of how many assets are left inside demos. Did people mod that cutscene or something? Because that's the biggest indication that something is realtime.

Just like they wouldn't leave in character models from the full game? A demo is just a slice of a full game and suddenly yanking things out would lead to a bad time, that's the reason datamining is so common is because of how many assets are left inside demos. Did people mod that cutscene or something? Because that's the biggest indication that something is realtime.

It can be modded but we have no way of playing it on PS4 hardware until it can be loaded and played from the hardware. I have personally ripped all of the files out and there is no prerendered video file in there. There's a bunch of lua scripts and static graphics that show during that scene though. An off white background graphic that fades in at the end, several variants of the logo (looks like it fades in between the different graphics), and all of the graphics for the credits at the end (names of people, fox engine, whatever the voice recognition software was).

I'll keep looking when I get off work but everything so far points to it being real time.

Crossing Eden

It can be modded but we have no way of playing it on PS4 hardware until it can be loaded and played from the hardware. I have personally ripped all of the files out and there is no prerendered video file in there. There's a bunch of lua scripts and static graphics that show during that scene though. An off white background graphic that fades in at the end, several variants of the logo (looks like it fades in between the different graphics), and all of the graphics for the credits at the end (names of people, fox engine, whatever the voice recognition software was).

I'll keep looking when I get off work but everything so far points to it being real time.
Yea with those descriptions it does.

Solidino

What are those "white strands" on the rainbow?

Reflection of the sun? Maybe but look the trailer again guys....

lsrCbA4.jpg

Solidino

PSY・S;226551276 said:
we're doing this again?

2014-06-1400_37_30-memflxv.png

i've yet to understand what the hell are those kind of yellow codebar. I'll never know

They appear when Mantis is on the screen too, but in GZ Mantis doesn't appear.

I have all the faith in the world in that being the case. Kojima intentionally misleads us on so many things, but he's never been one to mislead us on what we're getting visually.

I don't think that's entirely true. The first video footage we got of Ground Zeroes was allegedly targeted at PS3 level hardware and looks far better than even the PC version.

In the case of Death Stranding I fully expect the image quality to be downgraded at least a little.

Piers

What are those "white strands" on the rainbow?

Reflection of the sun? Maybe but look the trailer again guys....

lsrCbA4.jpg

Probably to emphasise how odd the world is. There even being rainbows amongst a rather unsettling scene is all the more eery, which is likely the idea.
It does give an odd feeling of Evangelion.

i've yet to understand what the hell are those kind of yellow codebar. I'll never know

There's no special meaning to that code bar as far as it having something to do with the plot. Kojima simply saw an AKB48 video (Kokoro no Hane) that used the effect and thought it looked cool

knh5asu0.png

knh199s2o.png

knh2xtslo.png

knh3p3sli.png

Genryu

Banned
Probably to emphasise how odd the world is. There even being rainbows amongst a rather unsettling scene is all the more eery, which is likely the idea.
It does give an odd feeling of Evangelion.

Wait a second, isn't that rainbow going backwards? It's curving up into the sky instead of towards the ground.

THEaaron

Dunno but that scene had so much aliasing and realtime rendering artifacts that it looked realtime from the beginning for me. But the DS trailer is surely another in image quality and such. Even if there are also enough artifacts that indicate a realtime render.

Solidino

Dunno but that scene had so much aliasing and realtime rendering artifacts that it looked realtime from the beginning for me. But the DS trailer is surely another in image quality and such. Even if there are also enough artifacts that indicate a realtime render.
yes but THE GAME doesn't exist yet, there is no script for enemy, or stuffs like that, remember MGS4 look at TGS2005? And then? Downdgrade in 2008, here will happens same thing when they'll get through many bottlenecks.

Moosichu

yes but THE GAME doesn't exist yet, there is no script for enemy, or stuffs like that, remember MGS4 look at TGS2005? And then? Downdgrade in 2008, here will happens same thing when they'll get through many bottlenecks.

Your not making any sense here. The PS3 hardware wasn't finalised in 2005, so Kojima Productions were targeting a much higher spec than what we got. The PS4 hardware is well known and established.

Furthermore, if the trailer is already running as-is on a PS4 pro in real time, what exactly will change between now and when the game is released?

Solidino

Furthermore, if the trailer is already running as-is on a PS4 pro in real time, what exactly will change between now and when the game is released?
i repeat myself, in the trailer there is no gameplay, no scripts to increase the burden of PS4 CPU or whatever. What will change? They'll go through many bottlenecks, like The Witcher 3, like every single game out there before creating gameplay that runs around it

BadWolf

Your not making any sense here. The PS3 hardware wasn't finalised in 2005, so Kojima Productions were targeting a much higher spec than what we got. The PS4 hardware is well known and established.

Yeah iirc the PS3 hardware got a downgrade prior to release and Kojima was pissed.

Crypt

Agreed

A lot of people don't remember the original unveiling of MGSV at PAX where they had some awesome rain, fog, and smoke effects. They even said it was targeted for PS3 hardware. Just look at the effects in the PAX gameplay demo:
https://youtu.be/bURRHLg71oY?t=12m24s

Kojima also said that MGSV:TPP would look even better by release when he unveiled that at the XBOX conference. It really didn't look any different by release.

I highly doubt the game will look even better than the current death stranding trailer.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Hey guys, I don't know if any of you have seen this analysis on the first trailer: https://youtu.be/zCQvFPll-oQ

Besides the "Punished Kojima struggles/call for help" baloney, this guy actually does some pretty good research and gives some tremendous insight as to what Kojima gets up to in that head of his.

I don't think this stuff is conjecture as it's all based on elements from the trailer, one of them even literal.

Worth a watch.

At 1440p the ps4 pro (imo) could handle the visuals in the latest realtime trailer. The Decima engine is very advanced even with Killzone: SF. Remember almost everything in the ps4 reveal was running on a gtx 680 and when people saw the Killzone city scene they said it couldn't be done and it was pre-rendered. It was the only game who pulled those visuals off in realtime so i trust the Decima engine. It's also one of the few games that has subsurface scattering and skin translucency during gameplay. Until Dawn does this too.

killzoneshadowfall_20ppuoc.png

killzoneshadowfall_20ygui9.png

killzoneshadowfall_20yhu2r.png

killzoneshadowfall_20tuul0.png

so imdb now has Norman's name as "Adam" and the site seems to be up to date considering Del Toro and Mads are in there in regards to the latest trailer.

deathstrandingbaxi6.png

I guess the 4chan leak is starting to sound more realistic now.

Ouroboros

Those only appear when something happens that is either supernatural or when the technology wouldn't fit during that time period. (example : Snakes robotic arm) At least, that is what I've been told and from what I remember held up when it was shown.

eot

Banned
There's no special meaning to that code bar as far as it having something to do with the plot. Kojima simply saw an AKB48 video (Kokoro no Hane) that used the effect and thought it looked cool

knh5asu0.png

knh199s2o.png

knh2xtslo.png

knh3p3sli.png

It would be hilarious if that's his inspiration

I have all the faith in the world in that being the case. Kojima intentionally misleads us on so many things, but he's never been one to mislead us on what we're getting visually. He says that the end product will look much better than what we saw and despite being blown away by what I've seen already, I believe him. Questioning whether or not the game will look as good as the teasers hasn't even crossed my mind. I'm confident it will.
When do games ever look like their early trailers?

Top Bottom