• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demonstration of microstuttering (bad framepacing)

Izuna

Banned
Use this website to compare smooth, perfect framerates with microstuttering

The site will work at whatever refresh your monitor is at.

It also has an option to simulate what Variable Refresh Rate looks like (Gsync, etc.) and it's quite good at it (among other things such as what framerate drops look like with Vsync... yuck).

It's an incredibly well-done website with many other monitors tests that you can do (including a frame skipping test if you're overclocking).

Those of you with 60hz displays can directly compare 30fps and 60fps with the compare framerate tests also.

*works best with Chrome

PillarEN

This is good. Lots of things to mess around with. I've bookmarked it for future references. The home site from which this comes from too.

Is it just me or does Chrome not fully work with these tests? I have a 144Hz monitor and in Chrome the tests only go up to 60fps but with Firefox they go to 144fps.

Izuna

Banned
Is it just me or does Chrome not fully work with these tests? I have a 144Hz monitor and in Chrome the tests only go up to 60fps but with Firefox they go to 144fps.

Chrome does 100hz for me (I can plug in my 144hz monitor to test if you need).

Have you tried merely updating the browser?

BHK3

Banned
v sync, no v sync, RTSS, no RTSS, some games I'll never have stable framepacing without dropping tons of settings

ghibli99

Is microstuttering responsible for the sometimes white I see when walking through doors in certain games (usually only vertically near the door jambs), or is that the game engine not filling in those areas fast enough? I noticed this most recently when playing Edith Finch.

Anyway, I'll still take microstuttering over screen tearing any day of the week.

VariantX

This is officially the first time I can actually percieve the effect. It just took removing all other visual information away except a scrolling white bar for me to actually see it. Otherwise in all other cases, I simply don't notice it.

Izuna

Banned
This is officially the first time I can actually percieve the effect. It just took removing all other visual information away except a scrolling white bar for me to actually see it. Otherwise in all other cases, I simply don't notice it.

You will now

muahahaha ;(

Is microstuttering responsible for the sometimes white I see when walking through doors in certain games (usually only vertically near the door jambs), or is that the game engine not filling in those areas fast enough? I noticed this most recently when playing Edith Finch.

Anyway, I'll still take microstuttering over screen tearing any day of the week.

It's got nothing to do with it.

Falk

that puzzling face
I understand people liking CA, but no, how can some one LIKE bad framespacing. It feels terrible to play a game with it going on.

Could make that argument for actual slowdown instead of frameskip/stuttering, like when things got intense on SNES/Genesis.

Nowadays though...

Mephala

The mind works to auto correct visual mistakes. I say it is a lot more noticeable in certain games too. Especially when timing comes into play and you focus on very small parts of the visual such as enemy tells so you can correctly dodge and counter.

Could make that argument for actual slowdown instead of frameskip/stuttering, like when things got intense on SNES/Genesis.

Nowadays though...

Ninja Gaiden 2 Staircase fight was glorious. Thanks for the reminder

Izuna

Banned

Nowadays though...

I think that stuff made games like Lost Planet or SotC for me. Without them, it's just strange.

edit: ah yes, NG2

Chrome does 100hz for me (I can plug in my 144hz monitor to test if you need).

Have you tried merely updating the browser?

Seems to be a problem with the Chrome beta; the stable release works fine.

The test ufo stuff is really nice. I'd recommend anyone with a ULMB enabled monitor to give it a try on these tests as the clarity in motion is just remarkable to see.

nkarafo

There's also the random microstuttering. When the game runs smooth for the most part but every 3 or 4 seconds you notice a hickup.

This is the most common form of microstuttering i get on my PC, thankfully 90% of the time it gets cleared up with RTSS.

drotahorror

There's also the random microstuttering. When the game runs smooth for the most part but every 3 or 4 seconds you notice a hickup.

This is the most common form of microstuttering i get on my PC, thankfully 90% of the time it gets cleared up with RTSS.

Yea their microstutter demo looks like framepacing issues to me. Microstutter for me is moreso what you've just listed.

Anyways, cool demo and almost painful to watch.

bigol

I like the effect personally, same with chromatic aberration. Makes it feel more intense.

It's not intended, so you can't call microstuttering an effect.

Chromatic aberration is an effect that make image quality worse, i don't like it in every game.

It's in Resident Evil VII Ps4 version too, right? It's a shame there is no option to turn it off.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
The G-Sync simulation is actually really representative of what it does. If anyone's on the fence, I'd definitely suggest you take a look at this site.

can anyone explain to me why this seems to be more common this generation? is it particular (low powered?) hardware? are we more knowledgeable about this stuff as a fanbase? is it side effects of particular game engines?

drotahorror

The G-Sync simulation is actually really representative of what it does. If anyone's on the fence, I'd definitely suggest you take a look at this site.

Interesting. It does look cool that's for sure. It's just, if I'm gonna shell out 500+ for a gsync monitor shouldn't I have the hardware to not have to deal with sub 60fps? If you're between 60-144+ fps is gsync just eliminating tearing?

Izuna

Banned
Interesting. It does look cool that's for sure. It's just, if I'm gonna shell out 500+ for a gsync monitor shouldn't I have the hardware to not have to deal with sub 60fps? If you're between 60-144+ fps is gsync just eliminating tearing?

Yep, no tearing. Which is important because extreme tearing makes it hard to see.

Imo 80 to 50 fluctuations with Gsync is better than smooth 60 for me.

kiyomi

I like the effect personally, same with chromatic aberration. Makes it feel more intense.

Microstuttering is not an "effect", or an intended consequence. If it doesn't bother you, more power to you I guess, but saying you "like" something that is objectively a flaw is completely bizarre.

drotahorror

Yep, no tearing. Which is important because extreme tearing makes it hard to see.

Imo 80 to 50 fluctuations with Gsync is better than smooth 60 for me.

Why is it some games have extreme tearing w/o vsync and others don't? I can't recall any crazy tearing in Overwatch, BF1, BF4, BF3, really most competitive shooters, Path of Exile, another example, all of these with uncapped framerate I see no tearing. Granted I think I run most of those now in borderless window which if I recall forces some sort of triple buffer vsync regardless of the vsync setting ingame. But I know for sure with my old set up, BF3 and 4 had little if any tearing that I could notice when running in fullscreen with uncapped framerate.

Now that I think about it, I should cap framerates to my refresh rate when playing in borderless window since it's pointless to be playing above it when in borderless window.

Jazzem

Yeah this drives me nuts, I'm envious of folks who aren't that sensitive to it! At least we're getting a better understanding of the issue, hopefully games moving forward will generally having solid frame pacing though I'm sure that's easier said than done.

Not quite the same, but it always throws me off when games suddenly judder while autosaving, it's thrown off my aim in the Resident Evil Revelations games several times.

Darktalon

I'm very sensitive to microstutter. G-sync is incredible. But sadly some games still dont play nice with SLI and can't be microstutter free.

Izuna

Banned
Another thing about the framerate comparison. The whole "getting used to 30fps" thing gets flipped on its head when regardless of it bothering you or not, it's a clear decrease in clarity with moving objects. You cannot look at the lower framerate UFO for a couple of hours and discern its details any better.

When you have games like Bloodborne, especially, it means that 30fps makes boss attacks/animations less visible (especially with motion blur) and all of that extra detail is lost. 60fps isn't just about feel, it's a big visual upgrade from 30fps for detail.

Why is it some games have extreme tearing w/o vsync and others don't? I can't recall any crazy tearing in Overwatch, BF1, BF4, BF3, really most competitive shooters, Path of Exile, another example, all of these with uncapped framerate I see no tearing. Granted I think I run most of those now in borderless window which if I recall forces some sort of triple buffer vsync regardless of the vsync setting ingame. But I know for sure with my old set up, BF3 and 4 had little if any tearing that I could notice when running in fullscreen with uncapped framerate.

Now that I think about it, I should cap framerates to my refresh rate when playing in borderless window since it's pointless to be playing above it when in borderless window.

I don't feel equipt to be able to answer this. I only know through trial and error what I set games to be.

I think that super high framerates will appear to show less tearing. I don't understand why UWP almost entirely hides tearing. I'd like to know myself.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

I'm in Chrome, with a 120Hz laptop display, and the site detects my full refresh rate.

drotahorror

I think that super high framerates will appear to show less tearing. I don't understand why UWP almost entirely hides tearing. I'd like to know myself.

Well all UWP games that I'm aware of require borderless windowed mode. And since borderless window forces triple buffer vsync there is no tearing. Even though the framerate isn't affected, borderless window mode should never have tearing.

There was a time when gsync would only work in fullscreen games, I believe it now works with borderless but I don't know how or why since windows 10? forces some sort of vsync when in that mode.

And I agree about 30fps looking bad compared to higher framerates. A game at 30fps in motion loses so much clarity to the same game in motion at 60fps. I really don't get how people can't see that.

Top Bottom