• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dengeki Playstation Persona 5 Questionnaire Results (Age/Gender/FavPersona/More)

Zolo

Age and Gender of people buying Persona 5

• 56.5% of people buying Persona 5 are male
  • 43.5% of people buying Persona 5 are female

• 19.9% of respondents are aged between 10 and 19
  • 62.6% of respondents are aged between 20 and 29
  • 23.1% of respondents are aged between 30 and 39
  • 4.4% of respondents are over 40

The first persona game of people responding

• 18.7% started with Persona 4 The Golden
  • 18.3% started with Persona 3 Portable
  • 17.5% started with Persona 4
  • 12.4% started with Revelations: Persona
  • 12.0% started with Persona 3
  • 6.4% started with Persona 2 Innocent Sin
  • 5.6% started with Persona 3 FES
  • 5.5% have never played a Persona game
  • 2.0% started with Persona (PSP Remake of Revelations: Persona)
  • 1.6% started with Persona 2 Eternal Punishment

Which version of Persona 5 are people buying?

• 58.1% are buying the 20th anniversary edition of Persona 5 on PlayStation 4
  • 14.4% are buying the 20th anniversary edition of Persona 5 on PlayStation 3
  • 13.5% are buying the standard edition of Persona 5 on PlayStation 4
  • 5.4% are buying the standard edition of Persona 5 on PlayStation 3
  • 4.1% are buying the download version of the 20th anniversary edition of Persona 5 on PlayStation 4
  • 2.3% are buying the download version of the standard edition of Persona 5 on PlayStation 4
  • 1.8% are buying the download version of the 20th anniversary edition of Persona 5 on PlayStation 3
  • 0.4% are undecided

Favourite party members in Persona 5

1. Hero
  2. Makoto Niijima
  3. Futaba Sakura
  4. Anne Takamaki
  5. Morgana
  6. Yusuke Kitagawa
  7. Haru Okumura
  8. Ryuji Sakamoto

Favourite side characters in Persona 5

1. Caroline and Justine
  2. Igor
  3. Tae Takemi
  4. Goro Akechi/Hifumi Togo
  5. Chihaya Mifune/Munehisa Iwai
  6. Yuki Mishima
  7. Sadayo Kawakami
  8. Toranosuke Yoshida
  9. Shinya Oda
  10. Sojiro Sakura
  11. Ichiko Oya

Favorite Personas

1. Arsene
  2. Johanna
  3. Goemon
  4. Carmen
  5. Milady/Zorro
  6. Necronomicon
  7. Captain Kidd

Translated by https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/
Source (accompanied by pics and graphs): http://personacentral.com/persona-magazine-survey-results/

kadotsu

Banned
God I hope the age answers get through to the dev team. I would choke someone for a P6 that starts on graduation day.

DNAbro

I like how they are still pretending they didn't accidentally reveal Goro as a party member already. He's on the front of the box for crying out loud.

But the lack of Ryuji love is disappointing.

God I hope the age answers get through to the dev team. I would choke someone for a P6 that starts on graduation day.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the otaku audience likes.

But yeah, I'll miss things like P2:EP which had a mainly-adult cast. It'd be nice to shake up the formula a bit.

I'm surprised the guys are all low (except the MC) and the girls all high, given the (almost) even gender split.

I'm pretty sure all the people being polled are otaku.

Taruranto

I'm surprised the guys are all low (except the MC) and the girls all high, given the (almost) even gender split.

Eh, I don't think it matters much, a lot of otaku never really left high school mentality or basically love the "It's high school again but this time I'm popular and with a harem" Persona 3 and 4 have going on.

.JayZii

Banned
Poor Ryuji and Captain Kidd are always last in every poll I've seen.

I guess we're still pretending Goro isn't going to be a party member. Maybe he joins even later than Naoto did in 4, or he's just an occasional party member or something.

rhandino

Banned
What do demographic answers need to "get through" to the dev team?
He is assuming that older players want to play a Persona game tailored to them (a setting where the cast deals with the problems during the transition from HS to University/Adult like) when there is very high chance that older people likes the game for the sense of nostalgia for their long gone days at HS with their friends.

It's like when people want Pokemon games targeted directly to the adult demographic.

Tohsaka

Older players still like the high school setting, have you not noticed how many anime are set in high school versus college?

Seeing the age group just makes me think the highschool setting appeals to those who never had a fulfilling highschool life which works.

artsi

He is assuming that older players want to play tailored to them (a Persona game dealing with the problems during the transition from HS to University/Adult like) when there is high chance that older people likes the game for a sense of nostalgia for the long gone days at HS.

Yeah, I mean I've been in adult professional life for so many years now and I stress about many things, but Persona is a game that always brings back the memories of carefree school life.

Attractive character designs are attractive to both genders? In anycase, most of the people surveyed are nerds who are into these sort of games anyway so that shouldn't come as a surprise either. I have a feeling if such a poll was done here the top 3 wouldn't be any different

Zolo

But yeah, I'll miss things like P2:EP which had a mainly-adult cast. It'd be nice to shake up the formula a bit.

For what it's worth, I think Catherine sold about on par with the previous Persona games. It probably doesn't do as well in merchandise though.

kewlmyc

Feels weird voting for favorite characters for a game not out yet. Guess it's based mostly on design right now.

If we need to get another Persona game with a teen cast, it needs to be set in Canada. In the Greater Toronto Area.

What I'm saying is I want a Persona x Degrassi game.

For what it's worth, I think Catherine sold about on par with the previous Persona games. It probably doesn't do as well in merchandise though.

Yeah, that's actually pretty encouraging now that you mention it. Catherine was a real sleeper hit for Atlus, I'd love it if they took pointers from that.

...They're probably going to have the next Persona game come with a free pair of boxers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Doubtful. I don't even think the mainline SMT games have main characters older than...23?

Yeah, they actually were going to make an adult protagonist for SMT4 Apocalypse (Flynn was 18, and the new character was going to be older), but canned the idea in favor of a 16 year old because they felt the modern market would prefer it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1187843

During the early planning phases, the main character was planned to be older than Flynn from Shin Megami Tensei IV. With Megaten games being designed around current sensibilities, it makes more sense for the main character of a modern Megaten game to be a youth with an incomplete sense of self, rather than an experience adult.

He is assuming that older players want to play tailored to them (a Persona game dealing with the problems during the transition from HS to University/Adult like) when there is very high chance that older people likes the game for the sense of nostalgia for their long gone days at HS with their friends.

It's like when people want Pokemon games targeted directly to the adult demographic.
That's what I assumed he meant, but I was curious.

I mean, I don't want to go "lol Japan," but it's not like anyone familiar with the country is surprised that the high school setting is popular. I can think of the Japanese media I've consumed based on a college setting on one hand. Can't do that for high school. It's clearly popular.

Eh, I don't think it matters much, a lot of otaku never really left high school mentality or basically love the "It's high school again but this time I'm popular and with a harem" Persona 3 and 4 have going on.

Easy, all guys votes for their best Waifus, while the girls votes for their favourite character they feels represents them the most.

I'm not following. Did they poll only the male otaku?

Wasn't Yosuke one of the most popular P4 character in Japan for example?

Well, it was tongue-in-cheek, but it's mainly referrring to this being a pre-release poll, so designs and preconceived notions tend to factor more into the equation. So with an otaku following you get that kind of thing, I guess.

Easy, all guys votes for their best Waifus, while the girls votes for their favourite character they feels represents them the most.

Essentially.

If Yosuke polls well in post-release polls, then that probably just the game being out and letting people have a better grip on his personality or arc. With a pre-release poll, things tend to be judged more on expectations, if that makes sense.

Oregano

When talking about the demographics you've got to keep in mind that this is a poll conducted in a gaming magazine so the demographics will be skewed towards that.

Zolo

Yeah. I expect Makoto beating Futaba comes down to this. I also think it's the opposite case for why Yosuke tends to do really well in polls.

When talking about the demographics you've got to keep in mind that this is a poll conducted in a gaming magazine so the demographics will be skewed towards that.
Also this as shown in the majority of purchasers buying the special edition.

Urgh...I really want to import...but I have no self control to not be a giant spoiler mouth to my friends

*Problems of a compulsive spoiler*

Finally, Makoto is proven to be more popular than Futaba - her Persona even comes in second behind Arsene too! (Even if it's just in a gaming magazine poll)

I mean, I love all the designs this time around, which is rare - but even then, Makoto and Johanna are especially great.

Still sad to see such little love for Haru and Ryuji.

Setsu00

What Hashino says about the Coop characters suggests that they at least tried to find a compromise between the high school setting and older characters. He explains that they are mostly adults who still haven't figured out who they are and what role they should play in society.

Hashino also mentioned that Persona 5 was originally meant to be a backpacking trip through the world rather than another year in the life of a Japanese HS student living HS life. I originally thought that the school setting would never be abandoned again after Eternal Punishment and the flop of its PSP remake, but Atlus (or at least Hashino) themselves clearly don't think so.

Hazmat

Feels weird voting for favorite characters for a game not out yet. Guess it's based mostly on design right now.

I agree. Maybe it's my age, but despite P5 being my most anticipated game I know nothing about the characters. I think there's a cat, I'm not sure.

TheChaos

Seeing the age group just makes me think the highschool setting appeals to those who never had a fulfilling highschool life which works.

I think it's the other way around. From what I understand, most adults' life in Japan basically involves you working 60 to 80 hour workdays on a career you were pressured into.

High School is the time when you don't have that kind of pressure and Japanese adults play high school games to feel nostalgic for it.

1. Hero
  2. Makoto Niijima
  3. Futaba Sakura
  4. Anne Takamaki
  5. Morgana
  6. Yusuke Kitagawa
    [*] Haru Okumura
  7. Ryuji Sakamoto
Hello darkness my old friend...
CrMWjmHUIAEW9xG.jpg

Also Captain Kidd being last is some BS.
Zorro should also be higher on the list.

RocBase

I like how they are still pretending they didn't accidentally reveal Goro as a party member already. He's on the front of the box for crying out loud.

But the lack of Ryuji love is disappointing.

Will be curious to see a post-release poll. From the demo impressions a lot of people were already changing their preconceived notions of Ryuji, I have a feeling he'll wind up being a fan favorite eventually.

EDIT: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL @ Goro being under side character

Pretty cool the male/female ratio is so close together.

I don't get popularity polls for characters I dont know anything about.

Zolo

Pretty cool the male/female ratio is so close together.

I don't get popularity polls for characters I dont know anything about.

Basically just impressions and people's liking of initial designs. As mentioned, it should be interesting to compare to polls after release.

ArjanN

It's the other way around, Japanese media tends to have a huge nostalgia boner, because once you're out of school you're expected to become a soulless worker drone leaving childish things like games and having fun behind.

Sakura

I think it's the other way around. From what I understand, most adults' life in Japan basically involves you working 60 to 80 hour workdays on a career you were pressured into.

High School is the time when you don't have that kind of pressure and Japanese adults play high school games to feel nostalgic for it.
But how do the adults have time to play a game like persona when they are working 60 to 80 hour work days?

TheChaos

But how do the adults have time to play a game like persona when they are working 60 to 80 hour work days?

Should have been more clear. Like the other poster said, there's also a strong stigma against playing video games as an adult over there because it's seen as childish.

Top Bottom