• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dengeki Playstation Persona 5 Questionnaire Results (Age/Gender/FavPersona/More)

He is assuming that older players want to play a Persona game tailored to them (a setting where the cast deals with the problems during the transition from HS to University/Adult like) when there is very high chance that older people likes the game for the sense of nostalgia for their long gone days at HS with their friends.

It's like when people want Pokemon games targeted directly to the adult demographic.
So, Catherine 2, got it.

.JayZii

Banned
Persona will stay in high school because Japan's gonna Japan. Actual Japanese high school is pretty stressful and terrible with all the exams and cram school; let them live out their idyllic version in their media.
So, Catherine 2, got it.
A spiritual sequel to Catherine with a different gameplay mechanic sounds good to me.

I enjoyed Catherine, but I don't want another block puzzler.

qWlPntv.png

Japan with best taste.

looks like she'll make damn sure that senpai will notice her

I think this says a bit more about the demographics that read dengeki than persona 5's base. But it could also be affected by ps4 ownership being predominated by a higher age group.

Didn't know the vast majority of the fans are over 20. why are the heroes so young again?

Escapism, fantasy, a desire to be young, with power and a chick magnet. You might as well ask why the waifus all seem to rank high in popularity and boggle at the spike in new players around the time the dating sim aspects took over the Persona franchise.

Alienfan

I'm always surprised when I see video-game related gender breakdowns. You'd think more games would capitalise on this by having female protagonists (although 2016 has been quite diverse)

God I hope the age answers get through to the dev team. I would choke someone for a P6 that starts on graduation day.

as a mediocre 26 year old, I would prefer it if started out with some shitty. mundane officejob and you start the game off from there. Or even college, goddamn. I just dunno if I can feel the same way about fictional highschool girls like Chie when I'm turning 27 and probably balding.

Lynx_7

I'm surprised Makoto is #2, could've sworn Futaba was the most popular girl. I also had no idea Ryuji was that unpopular in Japan.

A spiritual sequel to Catherine with a different gameplay mechanic sounds good to me.

You're right, block puzzlers are too last gen. Spherical puzzlers are all the rage nowadays.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
almost 80% buying for ps4...wonder how indicative that is of the actual purchases

On Amazon right now, Its PS4 Pro, PS4 Slim and then Persona 5 PS4. Before that, Persona 5 had been ranked number 1 on PS4 for about 2 weeks straight

SoulUnison

Banned
Wow, Japan hates Ryuji and Captain Kidd.

He's my favorite Non-MC party member.

I'm expecting to tun with an MC/Yuusuke/Ryuji/Makoto party, though that might change if Goro joins the party, or there's some other surprise member.

as a mediocre 26 year old, I would prefer it if started out with some shitty. mundane officejob and you start the game off from there. Or even college, goddamn.

Hell yeah to this. A Persona game where the cast is all stuck in a boring ol' 9-5 job a giant corporation and mystery~ unfolds~ would be fun. I will even take a overly attractive cast in their very young twenties for advertising appeal. This is me bargaining with you, Atlas.

Agreed. I would kill for a game that is a thematic successor to Catherine, but not a direct sequel please. It was one of the best games of Gen 7.

Alo0oy

Banned
Pretty cool the male/female ratio is so close together.

I don't get popularity polls for characters I dont know anything about.

Gender splits are always around 45/55 unless it's a heavily male dominated game like Call of Duty or League of Legends. Tens of studies have shown that, gators just refuse to get that through their thick skull.

ZdkDzk

Hell yeah to this. A Persona game where the cast is all stuck in a boring ol' 9-5 job a giant corporation and mystery~ unfolds~ would be fun. I will even take a overly attractive cast in their very young twenties for advertising appeal. This is me bargaining with you, Atlas.
Here you go, circa 1998
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=997205&page=1
To start wrapping things up, if you guys were to make a second Persona game, what would you all want it to be about?

Kaneko:
Personally, I think there's a lot we could do. Like if we had a game that was about office workers, then the president could be a Persona user who's started to sexually harass people in the company. And then the younger employees would whip out their own Personas to take him on. Or we could make it a game about a rookie baseball team. That could work, too.

Gender splits are always around 45/55 unless it's a heavily male dominated game like Call of Duty or League of Legends. Tens of studies have shown that, gators just refuse to get that through their thick skull.

Huh, the more you know. Always thought the gender split was more skewed towards men in general. Maybe because I never met a girl who was into gaming.

God I hope the age answers get through to the dev team. I would choke someone for a P6 that starts on graduation day.

I think a big draw of Persona is reliving your high school years in different situations and having more control over how you're treated. There's a kind of nostalgia about it that I think is kind of enchanting to the post-20 age group.

Satsuya K.

Neo Member
About the high school setting, I do agree it's being oveused these days. Life isn't all about youth. Eternal Punishment is one of my favorite stories for focusing on adult life and showing the exact theme through the characters; Tatsuya asking Baofu about if adult life is difficult and later Baofu telling him that it's nothing to worry about as long he makes the few good things of it the most. I do enjoy P3 and P4 and will certainly enjoy P5 but at least another main title centering on college life would be nice. I also am going through adult life, it is difficult but I will try my best to make the most of it.

Off-topic for a moment, I am currently writing a novel story that focuses on a (Japanese) teenager's life after high school and hope for it to be a big hit as my dream career. If anyone interested in the story, PM me.

Frimaire

Wait, the protagonist is the most popular character?
Who the hell votes for the mute blank-slate character?
Ah well, at least Makoto is over in Japan...

Setsu00

Wait, the protagonist is the most popular character?
Who the hell votes for the mute blank-slate character?
Ah well, at least Makoto is over in Japan...

At this point, all of them are blank-slates and we technically know more about the protagonist than any of the other characters. And as others have pointed out: This is obviously based on their designs.

stryke

They can do all the high school setting games they want. It's not like the gaming industry is overflowing with them.

Zolo

I'm guessing most of those studies are in the U.S. though which may not translate to Japan. That said, Persona and 'Tales of' have shown proof of being very popular with female gamers.

The first Persona 3 movie had a 4:6 ratio attendance favoring women: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/28/persona-3-movie-1-rather-well-opening-weekend/

The 'Tales of' festival was attended by 90% women with the producer saying the games were generally bought by about 70% men and 30% women. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/26/why-90-of-fans-at-tales-of-festival-are-female

Pretty sure there's also proof of women making up the majority of merchandise sales as well.

Top Bottom