• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dengeki's new report on Lightning Returns: FFXIII + Sazh Returns

Hedge

Well, it doesn't really work that way. Your awards from completing missions will be loot and time - so the game isn't exactly 13 hours long. Also, time won't run out during cutscenes, battles and menus.

Last I heard you had 8 hours by default, and could extend it up to a whole 13 by doing quests, but couldn't surpass the 13th day because that's where it's supposed to end.

If they changed that, good for them.

The japanese media industry works like this everytime, deal with it please. There's no need to make an argument even out of this. The game looks good enough and the style helps hiding its limits. That's it. Move on.

We got full hd videos though.

First off, welcome back my arch rival!!!

Second, the "Japanese media industry" doesn't work like that. Don't make such wide swinging remarks just to defend LR. Tales of Xillia didn't do that. A Realm Reborn hasn't done that. Final Fantasy XV hasn't done that. The above games all get direct feed screenshots. LR gets a whole bunch of off screenshots and footage for a reason.

Ratrat

Last I heard you had 8 hours by default, and could extend it up to a whole 13 by doing quests, but couldn't surpass the 13th day because that's where it's supposed to end.

Whaaat?! I have not been following the news in this but... a 13 hour jrpg?

jWILL253

Banned
The japanese media industry works like this everytime, deal with it please. There's no need to make an argument even out of this. The game looks good enough and the style helps hiding its limits. That's it. Move on.

So, you're telling me that the same company that has pissed money away developing 2 GRAPHICS ENGINES for two separate generations, can't be bothered to make direct feed full-HD screenshots because Japan?

Also, PshycoNinja has proven you to be incorrect on that anyway...

Squire

Banned
First off, welcome back my arch rival!!!

Second, the "Japanese media industry" doesn't work like that. Don't make such wide swing remarks just to defend LR. Tales of Xillia didn't do that. A Realm Reborn hasn't done that. Final Fantasy XV hasn't done that. The above games all get direct fees screenshots. LR gets a whole bunch of off screenshots and footage for a reason.

A) The game is shite.

B) SE is tacky.

Take your pick!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
A Realm Reborn hasn't done that.

LOL. As if Live Letters don't exist. We even get artworks and screens on a paper shown off to a camera. I bet I can find similar things for all the other games you mentioned, well except for FFXV a game that doesn't exist yet. Eventually Dengeki will publish the same way content and news for it.

Plus: I don't see the problems with it. I actually find it charming and old-fashioned. We have plenty of full hd videos of LR and reports from the biggest events so if you really want to see how it looks beyond a tv you have all the resources you need.

I also add I'm not interested in talking about this topic. Doesn't have anything to do with the game so I have not interest. I want to talk about LR and I'll answer only to LR's related questions.

Perfo

So each of the main six is in one of the four continents plus Hope in the ark right?

Yes, that's it. We still don't know what happened to Caius and Yuel though, last two main characters that will get a reveal pretty soon. Probably they'll be the rivals/enemies again considering the time of reveal is getting closer to actual release date... hopefully at least Caius gets a new redesign. His original outfit was shit.

Surely you mean Noel.

Noel was revealed just after Lightning. Yuel And Caius gone missing and we know from XIII-2's secret ending and the staff's interview they're planning something for both. I expect them to show up during the TGS's trailer as the final reveal and playing a major role as main antagonists again.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yes, that's it. We still don't know what happened to Caius and Yuel though, last two main characters that will get a reveal pretty soon. Probably they'll be the rivals/enemies again considering the time of reveal is getting closer to actual release date...

Surely you mean Noel.

Emitan

I think you cannot have more than 13 hours stocked up at once but you can extend the game to last over 13 hours.

Whaaat?! I have not been following the news in this but... a 13 hour jrpg?

Chrono Trigger is around that length.
But CT is a better game :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
hopefully at least Caius gets a new redesign. His original outfit was shit.
It grew on me. The feathers reminded me of Indian clothes... hated it in the beginning but I think it's slick now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Tizoc

Possibily he is involved with the Wild Lands considering that's the last piece of terrain not covered by one of the protagonists of the original game... and the pattern seems to suggest so. We also know that
his son is asleep for some reason from centuries thus that's why he is concerned and a tad depressed
. Today or tomorrow we're going to know more about this because S-E is surely planning to release a new trailer and infos at the gamescom starting today.

Eeeeeh...properly portraying Sazh in this game would give this game a +1 in my book.

So, you're telling me that the same company that has pissed money away developing 2 GRAPHICS ENGINES for two separate generations, can't be bothered to make direct feed full-HD screenshots because Japan?

Also, PshycoNinja has proven you to be incorrect on that anyway...

Woah!!! TWO?!

Perfo

I honestly believe LR will go for 1 mil LTD

I think the game will get very high scores and praise so I expect higher sales than XIII-2 in Japan and similar sales to XIII-2 in the rest of the world, making it sell similar or little more than it's previous episode. The game comes out when in the world nothing else comes out, especially from Japan. PS4 will be out from months with no software to buy and talk about, so it'll have all the attention it needs from the core community and fanbase. Obviously CoD fans are not going to give a fuck like usual, but jRPG fans, japanese players and FF fans are all going to notice it when reviews and feedbacks starts to spread around. There's literally no competition in that season when it comes to RPGs and jRPGs.

Boss Man

Welp, good thing they made Sazh depressed because you wouldn't want to risk having a likable character in the game.

Yoshichan

I think the game will get very high scores and praise so I expect higher sales than XIII-2 in Japan and similar sales to XIII-2 in the rest of the world, making it sell similar or little more than it's previous episode. The game comes out when in the world nothing else comes out, especially from Japan. PS4 will be out from months with no software to buy and talk about, so it'll have all the attention it needs from the core community and fanbase. Obviously CoD fans are not going to give a fuck like usual, but jRPG fans, japanese players and FF fans are all going to give a chance to it.
I want to believe :( It makes sense though!

Trike

tumblr_mrtd4ceyUr1rfe186o4_500.jpg

At first glance I thought this was a giant boxy robot with a sword and shield.

Yoshichan

Welp, good thing they made Sazh depressed because you wouldn't want to risk having a likable character in the game.
He was depressed in the early-mid parts of FFXIII as well. People seemed to have liked him anyway.

Squire

Banned
Admit it haters, the game does look quite good.

Loving what we've seen if environments so far.

They won't even take proper screenshots. Anyone willing to say this looks great/amazing/etc based on what's in the OP looks silly.

Really silly.

Emitan

They won't even take proper screenshots. Anyone willing to say this looks great/amazing/etc based on what's in the OP looks silly.

Really silly.

I like the design of the city. No idea how technically good it is but the art is fine.

I think the game will get very high scores and praise so I expect higher sales than XIII-2 in Japan and similar sales to XIII-2 in the rest of the world, making it sell similar or little more than it's previous episode. The game comes out when in the world nothing else comes out, especially from Japan. PS4 will be out from months with no software to buy and talk about, so it'll have all the attention it needs from the core community and fanbase. Obviously CoD fans are not going to give a fuck like usual, but jRPG fans, japanese players and FF fans are all going to notice it when reviews and feedbacks starts to spread around. There's literally no competition in that season when it comes to RPGs and jRPGs.

Even if its better i think 13-2 has poisoned the well. I think japan is sick of this subseries and it will sell less than 13-2 there. It could do ok in the west, but next gen games will be out and i dont see it getting much attention which i can't believe i'm saying about a ff game.

Yoshichan

I stand corrected (I bet she literally turns into Bahamut halfway through the game and disappears).
That scene was horrifyingly bad :lol Felt so forced!
XIII was near the 2 mil range while XIII-2 was in the 800K range
800k? Shit. Hearing how people treated FFXIII-2 like the biggest bomb of all time, I was expecting like 150k... 800k isn't bad at all.
The more I see, the less I like. I don't know why.
g3Z7YeC.gif

Better now?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Even if its better i think 13-2 has poisoned the well. I think japan is sick of this subseries and it will sell less than 13-2 there. It could do ok in the west, but next gen games will be out and i dont see it getting much attention which i can't believe i'm saying about a ff game.
Which just goes to show that Japan has terrible taste because 13-2 was actually a great game.

Reveirg

Really silly.

I seriously don't care if the game has some aliasing or underpar textures or some other default these shots wouldn't allow to see.

I love the artistic direction and the universe they're creating.

Assuming that I care more about technical issues than artistic direction is the silly thing here.

Hedge

Aye, if the rumours are true, PS4 will be out in october. Most people I know will sell their previous console to buy a next gen one, so their install base will have lessened by the time LR releases.

cafemomo

800k? Shit. Hearing how people treated FFXIII-2 like the biggest bomb of all time, I was expecting like 150k... 800k isn't bad at all.
Well XIII-2 was a bomb in a sense. It was a cheap horrible cash in by Squeenix. Can't even bring myself to play that game a 2nd time other than the Lightning and Sazh DLC

LOL. As if Live Letters don't exist. We even get artworks and screens on a paper shown off to a camera. I bet I can find similar things for all the other games you mentioned, well except for FFXV a game that doesn't exist yet. Eventually Dengeki will publish the same way content and news for it.

Plus: I don't see the problems with it. I actually find it charming and old-fashioned. We have plenty of full hd videos of LR and reports from the biggest events so if you really want to see how it looks beyond a tv you have all the resources you need.

I also add I'm not interested in talking about this topic. Doesn't have anything to do with the game so I have not interest. I want to talk about LR and I'll answer only to LR's related questions.

Live letters to the producer do have direct feed SCREENSHOTS AND FOOTAGE of A Realm Reborn. They hold up artwork to the screen? So what? We are talking about screenshots and footage. Nice try though.

And you know for a fact Kagari and I were both at E3 and played the game. The game isn't as graphically impressive as you like to make it out to be. Beyond that it doesn't run smoothly at all outside of combat.

Almost every gameplay demo published has been off screen. Like I said before, there is a reason for that...

It doesn't make it "old fashioned" or "charming". It makes it seem like they are trying to hide faults by putting footage and screenshots in situations that hide all the games problems.

Zaventem

This game actually looks pretty decent for all the shit the other two games deservedly got. I want to preorder but i rather wait it out.

Top Bottom