• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack is working "on an IP that's our most requested" for the next generation.

apana

It has to be Eternal Darkness 2.

1. Nintendo just renewed the Eternal Darkness trademark. This was just after renewing the Luigi's Mansion trademark and announcing Luigi's Mansion 2.

2. Denis Dyack hinting they are working on a highly requested game of theirs. I doubt Microsoft or anyone is excited about funding Too Human 2. Crystal Dynamics and Silicon Knights are not in working terms for Blood Omen (I think). Only option is Nintendo and Silicon Knights working on Eternal Darkness 2.

I see, Mischief Makers it is!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I can imagine that Dyack has been calling and e-mailing Kensuke Tanabe constantly trying to make this game happen. It really is the only game that has a shot of breaking Silicon Knights out of this downward spiral.

DSix

Banned
I wouldn't say no to a good sequel to the very first Blood Omen (I never was much interested by the Crystal Dynamics ones).

Ridley327

I highly doubt it's Too Human, if only because saying they're 'going back to their roots' wouldn't make much sense in that context.

Well, the most implausible thing it could be is if they're rebooting Too Human back to the original cyberpunk concept. It sounded like it was going to be a shameless Deus Ex ripoff, but that's surely better than what we ended up getting.

I can see Nintendo resurrecting ED, I just can't see them bringing in SK and working with them again to do it. Doesn't seem like their style when they can probably just find a small, upstart promising developer to do it. SK seems to have too much baggage at this point. It screams fanboy pipe dream to me.

OnPoint

No surprise if it's ED2. They teased it in the first game already, pretty much

sMshd.png

Rogosh

Well, the most implausible thing it could be is if they're rebooting Too Human back to the original cyberpunk concept. It sounded like it was going to be a shameless Deus Ex ripoff, but that's surely better than what we ended up getting.

No, it wouldn't. The only thing that would accomplish is to alienate those who did enjoy the loot system in Too Human. Everyone would hate it.

Although Nintendo own's the Eternal Darkness IP, its certainly been the most requested game by them in since the original's release. That would be the sensible option.

Instro

I would be really surprised if it isn't ED2. Crystal Dynamics would not work with them anymore, Nintendo recently renewed the ED trademark, and he says they are working a next gen console.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I can see Nintendo resurrecting ED, I just can't see them bringing in SK and working with them again to do it. Doesn't seem like their style when they can probably just find a small, upstart promising developer to do it. SK seems to have too much baggage at this point. It screams fanboy pipe dream to me.
They could be working with a few Silicon Knights employees, like Dyack and maybe some artists, to develop narrative, concepts and structure, while letting another team do the heavy lifting. Sort of like the relationship between 3D Realms and Human Head on Prey.

apana

It's not as easy as it sounds to find a promising upstart developer and make sure they are right for the game and have an interest in doing it. If Dyack approached them and made a good case I could see them letting him go forward, but then again I wonder what the cost of funding a game like this in HD would be. I don't see Iwata thinking a game like this could even break even.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
LoK would be an in-house reboot, so that's out.
I can't imagine there's much demand for a Too Human sequel, so that's out too.
Must be ED2.

Unless they somehow convinced Activision (and themselves) that a new X-Men game would be something a lot of people requested.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Ridley327

They could be working with a few Silicon Knights employees, like Dyack and maybe some artists, to develop narrative, concepts and structure, while letting another team do the heavy lifting. Sort of like the relationship between 3D Realms and Human Head on Prey.

This is actually not a bad thought.

CUE IDLE, BASELESS SPECULATION

I guess the question would be who would end up doing the heavy lifting, and the only studio in Ontario that has the manpower to take something like that on would be Digital Extremes. I think everyone else is either mobile/downloadable or owned by one of the major publishers.

END IDLE, BASELESS SPECULATION

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Could be awesome. I thought a Fatal Frame would be neat with WiiU but this is just as good if they do it right.

"Dead" pixels on the screen at first. More appear and then begin to morph into some horrible image. That would be so sweet. Nintendo should hire me to make insanity effects!

Ponn

Banned
Count me as one of the crazies that actually enjoyed too human and would like to see a sequel to wrap the storyline up. Eternal darkness 2 on Wii U would make me get the system sooner rather than later.

Raide

Most of the Too Human issues were wrapped up in all of the EPIC UE3 lawsuit stuff and the fact Dyack appeared and flamed GAF. With more time and polish, Too Human could ahve been pretty awesome. The drop from 4 to 2 player co-op did suck but anyone that played co-op knew it was actually a good laugh.

I personally hope we get a sequel, since I invested a load of time into the first game and I thought the story was pretty unique. Plus the loot whoring was amazing. :D

They are probably working on ED2 though.

Odrion

Banned
Nintendo had to get involved to make Eternal Darkness actually playable. The last game these guys worked on was that bad X-Men game, and now they're taking on a next gen title?

Eeeeeeeeeeehhhaggggh.

Also in the launch window for gc. Kinda skews things. And not in the right direction.

it came out like 8 months after launch. It also had a ton of hype though as a "mature Nintendo!" game that elevated it's stature higher than it probably would nowadays. Don't know how much that would fly these days.

Ridley327

Nintendo had to get involved to make Eternal Darkness actually playable. The last game these guys worked on was that bad X-Men game, and now they're taking on a next gen title?

Eeeeeeeeeeehhhaggggh.

Nintendo did have a big hand in the first game, but they have a big hand in nearly all of their "second party" titles. I can't imagine why they'd leave them to their own devices.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Little bit of useless trivia about ED when it released in NZ. The distributors were so worried that gamers would think all the insanity effects were actually bugs in the game that they typed up an explanation on a slip of paper and put them inside each new copy of Eternal Darkness. It was shoddily typed up and the paper was crookedly cut you could almost compare it to the style of a ransom note. :lol

OnPoint

Little bit of useless trivia about ED when it released in NZ. The distributors were so worried that gamers would think all the insanity effects were actually bugs in the game that they typed up an explanation on a slip of paper and put them inside each new copy of Eternal Darkness. It was shoddily typed up and the paper was crookedly cut you could almost compare it to the style of a ransom note. :lol

Pictures or scans? This is oddly interesting

Diffense

I know this is out of the blue and implausible but what were the last hints about what Retro is doing? I think they were "working on a project everyone wants them to do". While we were thinking of particular franchises maybe it's more a genre thing: third person action adventure like Raven Blade (and what many people wanted Metroid to be).
I almost mistook the below for ED:
http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/gallery/raven-blade/ravenbladebeta03.jpg
http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/gallery/raven-blade/blade01.jpg

Retro has proven to be quite technically proficient and great at resurrecting dormant franchises. So, given that ED is SK's brainchild but Retro has the development chops, a Retro/SK collaboration on ED2 could be pretty awesome. So in a thread filled with hopes and dreams, that's my wishful contribution. But I'd feel pretty godly if it turned out to be so.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Unless Nintendo is very very very hands on I'm not excited for ED2

Why wouldn't they be? Eternal Darkness is entirely their IP, they know SK hasn't made a good game since and as such SK has a lot less bargaining power when it comes to creative control.

Top Bottom