• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Villeneuve eyed by Legendary to helm the Dune movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocund

Love Villeneuve but I'm wary of him getting tied to so many films all of a sudden. He's on track to become that name everyone on GAF (and elsewhere) spams whenever their favorite film franchise goes awry and needs a fresh take.

I.E.: Platinum Games, George Miller and Lord & Miller.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Love Villeneuve but I'm wary of him getting tied to so many films all of a sudden. He's on track to become that name everyone on GAF (and elsewhere) spams whenever their favorite film franchise goes awry and needs a fresh take.

I.E.: Platinum Games, George Miller and Lord & Miller.

He's on track to be a beloved director that people think of when they want something good? That doesn't sound like a bad thing.

Ooohh shiiiit, in Villeneuve we trust.

Don't jinx it.

image.php

Brakke

Banned
I wonder what it's like to hit it big but then all your projects are adaptations and remakes. Of course there's creativity in working on those things but... man.

I wonder what it's like to hit it big but then all your projects are adaptations and remakes. Of course there's creativity in working on those things but... man.

Villeneuve has said that Dune is his dream project. I'm sure he doesn't care that it's been adapted before.

I wish them best of luck! Gonna be hard to cast someone better than Kyle as Paul.

Miles Teller, and a fat J.K. Simmons as the Baron.

shira

PSY・S;226993860 said:
I've never seen a Villeneuve film. Where should I start?

Prisoners. You can immediately tell his style from that one.

If you like keep going.

The question is: Can Dune actually reach a wide audience nowadays?

A big production like this would smell of a bomb, even if it's of high quality.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'll accept this if Deakins or anyone of a similar caliber shoots this thing, but Dune screams trainwreck to me.

This is an archaic and flawed trope. There's nothing unfilmable about Dune nowadays. Grtandeur? No problem. Effects? forget about it. The "smell of bomb" based on scale of undertaking doesn't mean the same thing it did in 1981.

The story is simple - a charismatic and handsome outsider fulfills a prophecy and defeats evil, and becomes native, and the king of the natives. (Lawrence of Arabia, Avatar, Tarzan, et al)

Now, where it can be incredible is by leaning into the worldbuilding and deep story, but by jumping on the analogs and eerie similarities to Osama Bin Laden ( wealthy young scion of "spice" industry family becomes leader of religious fanatics and leads a jihad against the outsider enemies after embracing their ways) /Iraq war etc.

Lynch created some amazing things - the sets, the costumes, the music and the casting. Some of it, he NAILED. Anyone who critciizes the casting of Gurney Halleck or the Baron or even Chani, can fight me. With a crysknife of course.

Ran rp

Prisoners.

Then watch Incendies, then Sicario, then Enemy, then Polytechnique, then Arrival.

First one I saw was Sicario and that made me a huge fan almost immediately.

Sicario is a fantastic starting point imo.

Prisoners
Sicario
Incendies
Arrival

Sicario and Incendies. Enemy and then Prisoners. (I haven't seen Arrival)

Prisoners. You can immediately tell his style from that one.

If you like keep going.

Alrighty, Sicario and Prisoners first.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The question is: Can Dune actually reach a wide audience nowadays?

A big production like this would smell of a bomb, even if it's of high quality.

It has all the elements there to succeed but is by no means an easy property to adapt for a variety of reasons as we've seen many attempts and none have ever pulled it off properly.I think the bigger thing is the story and themes are going to hit a huge nerve in this day and age as its about dessert people who are inspired by Muslims rising up with their Lawrence of Arabia like savior to fight against an evil corrupt foreign empire that is there only to take their rare and vital natural resource.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It has all the elements there to succeed but is by no means an easy property to adapt for a variety of reasons as we've seen many attempts and none have ever pulled it off properly.I think the bigger thing is the story and themes are going to hit a huge nerve in this day and age as its about dessert people who are inspired by Muslims rising up with their Lawrence of Arabia like savior to fight against an evil corrupt foreign empire that is there only to take their rare and vital natural resource.

That's what I said. Only, I said it desert fashion[/].

Can't wait to see the internet turn on him like it did Chris Nolan.

Villeneuve knows how to do action, scenes with momentum and how to do exposition without telegraphing it with two characters sitting down and just explaining what's going on to the audience.

Also, another great director from Quebec is PODZ who did the TV series 'Minuit le Soir' and the cop show '19-2' with the now famous 12 minutes single take for an episode surrounding a school shooting.

He also directed some movies like '7 Days' which is pretty chilling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNSxaVHq7l4

Potentially huge news for me. Dune is my favorite novel and I love Villeneuve's work. Deakins would be icing on the cake if they teamed up again but, with Dune, the devil is going to be in the details of the adaptation. I'll continue to eye this project nervously until a writer is chosen, and then go back to full-clench until we see competent casting decisions being made. I'm not sure which of those - screenplay or cast - I'm more skeptical of being handled properly.

In any event, this would be a reassuring start.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I give it 4 years before GAF turns on him.

Also, still no carte blanche for high budget original flicks? Nolan stays winning.

Villeneuve knows how to do action, scenes with momentum and how to do exposition without telegraphing it with two characters sitting down and just explaining what's going on to the audience.

Also, another great director from Quebec is PODZ who did the TV series 'Minuit le Soir' and the cop show '19-2' with the now famous 12 minutes single take for an episode surrounding a school shooting.

He also directed some movies like '7 Days' which is pretty chilling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNSxaVHq7l4

Yup, 7 Days was fantastic and intense.

CloudWolf

And now Dennis Villeneuve is officially 'that one director they get to do cult classic sci-fi remakes'. See you for the next Mad Max film after George Miller dies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom