• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Desiigner - Timmy Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveovig

I don't understand mainstream rap these days, or at least guys like him. I listened to the XXL artists from this year and most of them were trash like this guy. I tried listening to this earlier when I saw it on r/hiphopheads and it got a shit ton of upvotes and I don't know why.

Future
Young Thug
Fetty
Rich Homie Quan

stopitslime.png

sound absolutely nothing like the latter three

highrider

Banned
stopitslime.png

sound absolutely nothing like the latter three

I don't profess a great knowledge of full catalogs of these artists because I think they are mediocre. But they build their sound on auto tune and staccato vocal inflections that are unintelligible to a large degree. So in that regard, the have something very much in common. Enough so that someone with a passing interest like myself could easily find them indistinguishable.

highrider

Banned

Great discussion man!

Edit: just an FYI, I was probably deeply involved in hip hop long before you were born. I'm 50 and have been a fan and active participant as a graffiti artist and DJ since 82 when the block was froze by my burgundy shell toes. I'm saying that so you know it's not the opinion of someone who isn't a huge fan of the genre.

Mike Dean doing the lord's work here.

Without Mike, Desiigner would be Bobby Schmurda 2.0, but I'll be damned if Mike Dean isn't doing his best to salvage his career.

Monster Zero

Nice track, about a kid who wants a gun to take revenge on those who wronged him *aka a Timmy Turner* not sure how folks can't understand him, but I listen to 50 cent so I'm good at this

highrider

Banned
still waiting for you to post the songs from those 5 rappers that sound like timmy turner

or the 5th rapper for that matter

Reading. I said that that song could come from any of 5 artists that had very similar sounds. You conceded that future was similar, Desiigner himself is the fifth, and I posted examples of the other 3. :/

Edit: just an FYI, I was probably deeply involved in hip hop long before you were born. I'm 50 and have been a fan and active participant as a graffiti artist and DJ since 82 when the block was froze by my burgundy shell toes. I'm saying that so you know it's not the opinion of someone who isn't a huge fan of the genre.

is this like that south park episode where all new music sounds like farts to randy?

I actually never took the new rap sucks position. I like a lot of it. Just not this. Not particularly enjoying your slick responses either my man.

nobody said you have to like it but if you think that it sounds anything like any of the three songs you posted earlier... there's not much of a discussion to be had...

Migos sounds similar to Future and Desiigner if you ask me. If he doesn't to you then I dont know what to tell you.

migos is 3 people breh. I don't know what to tell you.

mr2xxx

Banned
Snoop on these guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrGHX_nnrgo

With that said the beat bangs on Timmy Turner.

nobody said you have to like it but if you think that it sounds anything like any of the three songs you posted earlier... there's not much of a discussion to be had...

migos is 3 people breh. I don't know what to tell you.

Didn't know that, at least two of them sound like Future in the EP which was my point. If you think that these dudes don't we gotta agree to disagree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC1G_XQ4tjg

Moonkid

Doesn't do much for me, wasn't a fan of Panda either except when sampled in Pt 2. Now this song on the other hand I discovered a few days ago and I'm still bumping it.

high snoop hating on fewch and migos for a technique that three 6 mafia popularized ages ago is certainly helping your case

Didn't know that, at least two of them sound like Future in the EP which was my point. If you think that these dudes don't we gotta agree to disagree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC1G_XQ4tjg

quavo and offset sound somewhat similar but how do they sound like future?
voice? I vehemently disagree.
flow? future switches it up like every other song. he rarely uses the "versace flow".

mr2xxx

Banned
high snoop hating on fewch and migos for a technique that three 6 mafia popularized ages ago is certainly helping your case

quavo and offset sound somewhat similar but how do they sound like future?
voice? I vehemently disagree.
flow? future switches it up like every other song. he rarely uses the "versace flow".

Bruh then you agree with me. Desiigner, Migos (some of the members) and Future are all capable of using the same flow thus could sound similar on the same track which was the initial discussion. Doesn't matter if Future could have twenty flows and sing a rock ballad for his next single, he's best known for that flow that people are imitating. You can't say that there isn't a trend toward this type of sound which was what Snoop and the person you were arguing initially talking about.

This type of sound always sounds, to me, like what happens when you combine childhood lead poisoning with copious amounts of promethazine. That being said I like the beats and I like the triplet oriented flow most of the mumble rappers be mumbling so I'll allow it I guess?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Mike Dean is a fucking legend, he carries this song so far beyond where it should be.

Bruh then you agree with me. Desiigner, Migos (some of the members) and Future are all capable of using the same flow thus could sound similar on the same track which was the initial discussion. Doesn't matter if Future could have twenty flows and sing a rock ballad for his next single, he's best known for that flow that people are imitating. You can't say that there isn't a trend toward this type of sound which was what Snoop and the person you were arguing initially talking about.

nah man, fewch "being capable" of using a flow that the entire industry hopped on for a minute doesn't make him sound similar to migos. and he isn't really known for that flow either. just shows that you only have rudimentary knowledge of both migos' and fewch's output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom