• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 officially announced (with a logo only) [Up: Cayde-6 Toy Pre-Order Bonus]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was a die-hard Destiny player currently on Xbox, I would be scrambling now to get my friends/clanmates to switch to PSN. Only the most superficial things are carrying over, so it's as clean a break as you can get. We know there will be exclusive content as of this past Friday. There will probably be a Pro bundle (with a special edition console). I don't think there has been or will ever be a more ideal time to switch.

Why?
Xbox wont be worse.

gypsygib

If there's cross-play with PC and console, I'll buy. If not I won't.

I enjoyed about 80hrs of Destiny on PS4 with two of my friends but I've moved on to PC gaming since. I still have my PS4 but have a hard time looking at 30FPS games now and certainly wouldn't spend $80CAN on one.

Kyoufu

Turns out that all the shots we fired into the loot cave on Earth created an energy rift into another dimension. Now that rift is being exploited by the darkness on the other side and that's where Destiny 2 begins, with the invasion of the last city on Earth.

Two Words

I don't remotely agree that the "loot system has failed" if enemies drop blues. That seems like quite a bit of hyperbole.

I have zero issue with enemies dropping old loot that you won't need. You trash it, get some items, the end.
It's not just that when they drop blues.

Trickster

What's the mindset of you gaffers?
Would you consider going PC or return to the PS4?

If I get Destiny 2, I'll absolutely go for the pc version.

There's just too many advantages compared to a console version.

- IQ and framerate
- Mouse and keyboard
- Convenience of sitting at my pc setup instead of the couch
- Being able to use a proper headset instead of that thing that Sony tries to pass off as a mic
- If my irl friends play it, it will be on pc

I would however be sad not to be able to play with the people that I raided with for about a month in TTK on ps4. Those were some genuinely awesome people.

If there's cross-play with PC and console, I'll buy. If not I won't.

I enjoyed about 80hrs of Destiny on PS4 with two of my friends but I've moved on to PC gaming since. I still have my PS4 but have a hard time looking at 30FPS games now and certainly wouldn't spend $80CAN on one.

I see virtually no chance that there will be cross-play. Mouse + keyboard vs controller would causes too many issues I think. Just imagine how pvp would be for console players.

Why?
Xbox wont be worse.
No reason, Sony recruitment force always ends up in these threads.

Xbox version will be fine, Scorprio version will be better. Play where your friends are. I have both systems, my friends play on Xbox, I'm not going to try to convince them to get a PS4. I plan on playing with the Xbox and PS4 community. DGaf is 90% PS4 but it doesn't have to be that way.

BraXzy

Great thing about playing on PC is I still have it hooked up to my TV and if I wanted could lie in bed and play with a controller in PvE. Now that'd be the life.

Dynomutt

Anyone think Sony is holding cross platform in their back pocket with this game? I could really see them flipping it and announcing it as the first title Where they want people of "all" platforms to play together. They would earn a lot of goodwill. They would have to restructure some of the exclusivity but it's not a stretch?

Edit: Got it FPS with PC bad and not much to gain. Wrap it up folks were done here.

BraXzy

Turns out that all the shots we fired into the loot cave on Earth created an energy rift into another dimension. Now that rift is being exploited by the darkness on the other side and that's where Destiny 2 begins, with the invasion of the last city on Earth.

Can we all just take a minute to reflect on how many hours we spent mindlessly shooting into a cave for loot in this game. What a beautiful waste of my life.

Midas

Anyone think Sony is holding cross platform in their back pocket with this game? I could really see them flipping it and announcing it as the first title Where they want people of "all" platforms to play together. They would earn a lot of goodwill. They would have to restructure some of the exclusivity but it's not a stretch?

No.

Kyoufu

I don't want to play an FPS on console with PC players though.

KodaRuss

Sony gains nothing from this. Not possible.

Excited to see what Bungie can do with an engine purely set for the current gen systems (not to mention the pro and scorpio).

I don't get the argument of a ten year plan, I always took that phrase to reference a plan within the series, not the specific Destiny 1 game.

*Also, PC isn't an option or allure for me, so PS4 Pro here we go!

Cayde is not alone.

C8ArM6hWsAA7Vwv.jpg

C8ArPYWW0AAavZO.jpg

darknil

If they allow cross-progress I'll definitely double dip. I prefer to play it on PC but all my friends play on PS4.

If there's no cross-progress I'll stick with PS4 then.

- Mouse and keyboard
- If my irl friends play it, it will be on pc

Big BIG ones for me. Especially with M+KB, since it was probably the one aspect that kept me from coming back to Destiny (if the first one was on PC, I would have way more hours in it, especially with close friends).

Trickster

Only cross-play for PvE?

You'd still have an issue of pc players being able to perform much better due to the use of m+k over controllers. Console players would be getting kicked and flamed constantly.

I just don't see any way that Bungie could implement any meaningful crossplay that wouldn't lead to a ton of bad situations.

Edit - I could see someting like what darknil suggest in the form of cross-progress however. Basically allowing you to use the same account on both pc and console.

void666

Banned
The older i get the less i enjoy m/k. But of course i wouldn't try to compete against m/k users with a controller.

Even on PC i'd probably stick to controllers. At least for PVE.

You'd still have an issue of pc players being able to perform much better due to the use of m+k over controllers. Console players would be getting kicked and flamed constantly.

I just don't see any way that Bungie could implement any meaningful crossplay that wouldn't lead to a ton of bad situations.

Edit - I could see someting like what darknil suggest in the form of cross-progress however. Basically allowing you to use the same account on both pc and console.

This would make me very happy. All my friends are on X1 but I have a beast of a PC that I want to make use of when they aren't online.

molnizzle

The older i get the less i enjoy m/k. But of course i wouldn't try to compete against m/k users with a controller.

Even on PC i'd probably stick to controllers. At least for PVE.

I'm in the same boat, which is why I'll be so bummed if I don't have an option to play at 60fps on consoles. I really don't want to play this on PC.

I'd love to play on PC but all my friends are on PS4 so that's where I'll be. Cross progress would be nice but I don't think we'll get that solely because of the PS timed exclusive stuff. Pretty sure that's why we didn't get it with the first game. Either that or they thought it wasn't worth building out for how few people would actually use it.

void666

Banned
I'd love to play on PC but all my friends are on PS4 so that's where I'll be. Cross progress would be nice but I don't think we'll get that solely because of the PS timed exclusive stuff. Pretty sure that's why we didn't get it with the first game.

Damn... You're right. Hopes crushed.

nowai

What's the mindset of you gaffers?
Would you consider going PC or return to the PS4?

I'm a PC gamer at heart and I would MUCH rather play at 60fps with native keyboard and mouse support.

My group of pals is on PS4 so that will suck, but just the thought of a PC release makes me excited...now the question is how will the port turn out. If it's shit, then I'll be back on PS4 for sure.

Mupod

I don't have a problem playing Destiny with a controller, it's one of the only console FPSes I can deal with though. The other is Halo - Bungie has some kind of magic.

Either way, the PVP was very frustrating sometimes because it felt like I was playing against kids who grew up with Halo/COD on consoles, so I was a bit of a fish out of water. The worst problem was the FOV - someone could be standing next to you with a shotgun and you couldn't see them. I'd still dominate random casual matches against goobers but when playing with DestinyGAF or in Trials it was a struggle to keep up. The more seriously I took Destiny the less fun I had with it.

The PS4 community is great and I don't want to leave it behind, but most of my usual group of friends are primarily PC gamers. Several of those have hardcore MMO raider backgrounds, and I'd love to completely dismantle Destiny raids with them. But if for some reason they aren't interested, well, I still don't want to pay to play online anymore, especially after they jacked up the PS+ price in Canada. PS4 version is a tough sell for me.

Best case scenario is cross-platform play, but I don't think that has any chance whatsoever of happening.

BigEmil

I see cross-play only for consoles.... mouse and keyboard vs. controllers is not that fair...

I'll definitely buy it for PC...
Cross play won't happen.

Nothing in it for Sony for allowing this to play with Xbox One users, the only one who benefits is the one who will have the lesser online playerbase. But seeing as this is Destiny online playerbase won't be a problem on all platforms.

Lee

If I was a die-hard Destiny player currently on Xbox, I would be scrambling now to get my friends/clanmates to switch to PSN. Only the most superficial things are carrying over, so it's as clean a break as you can get. We know there will be exclusive content as of this past Friday. There will probably be a Pro bundle (with a special edition console). I don't think there has been or will ever be a more ideal time to switch.

I mean, that's what Sony is counting on with the exclusives, and I'm sure they will get some folks to do so. I grabbed a PS4 on sale back in November and, while it was nice to play with a few folks from GAF and start fresh, it wasn't nearly as cool as I thought it would be. The exclusives were underwhelming and Xbox really isn't missing anything. I still prefer to play on Xbox, where I have my characters, my friends, my gamertag, all that.

Also I hope they tone down the PS exclusives this time around, either reducing the exclusivity period or keeping it to cosmetics. They stand to piss off more people than they please if they are keeping things away from PC and Xbox players for years at a time.

I mean, that's what Sony is counting on with the exclusives, and I'm sure they will get some folks to do so. I grabbed a PS4 on sale back in November and, while it was nice to play with a few folks from GAF and start fresh, it wasn't nearly as cool as I thought it would be. The exclusives were underwhelming and Xbox really isn't missing anything. I still prefer to play on Xbox, where I have my characters, my friends, my gamertag, all that.

Also I hope they tone down the PS exclusives this time around, either reducing the exclusivity period or keeping it to cosmetics. They stand to piss off more people than they please if they are keeping things away from PC and Xbox players for years at a time.
Thankfully the PS exclusive stuff wasn't really all that big of a deal from year 1+. The missed grimoire was a bummer, but eh, if that's all they'll be doing for Destiny 2, I won't be bothered all that much.

marciocdb

Banned
Cross play won't happen.

Nothing in it for Sony for allowing this to play with Xbox One users, the only one who benefits is the one who will have the lesser online playerbase. But seeing as this is Destiny online playerbase won't be a problem on all platforms.

Yeah... that's probably what will happen...

They were already bitching about current games...

Is it crazy if I expect more info today? I know the patch comes out, maybe they won't want to overshadow that. But man I would really like a bit more concrete info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom