• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 officially announced (with a logo only) [Up: Cayde-6 Toy Pre-Order Bonus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawtowler

Is it crazy if I expect more info today? I know the patch comes out, maybe they won't want to overshadow that. But man I would really like a bit more concrete info.

The only time today I think we might hear something is when AoT drops in 90 minutes. This coincides with the time they released the image yesterday.

Why? I would guess the folks who haven't switched yet still prefer the Xbox platform and also have their "Pro" console in Project Scorpio to look forward to later this year. Seems silly to switch due to some minor exclusive content for Destiny (unless it is going to be much more significant than what was offered for Destiny and it's expansions for Sony first time around) and pay $400+ for a bundle when Microsoft's next iteration on it's console is about to release near the release of the next version of Destiny.

Plus, the PC version will be an option for a lot of players if they have a capable machine without adding another online subscription fee.
I explicitly said "die-hard Destiny player", meaning it is the game they play most of the time. Presumably, their friends would be die-hard players too, and for the casual friends, they could always alt on Xbox. My point is that there probably won't be another opportunity to switch like this in terms of player investment.

Why would I want to change ecosystems for one game? Scorpio is coming, and I've got a great list of friends who I've played Destiny and other games with on Xbox for many years.
Do you and your friends mostly play Destiny? Do you already own PS4s? I'm not saying it's the right decision for everyone, but it is an ideal time to switch since we're going through a reset and we know PSN will have the most content, even if the PC version is technically superior. I played for years on Xbox platforms with good friends as well, but at a certain point it just made sense to switch. The announcement that Bungie would make exclusives for PlayStation and the launch of new consoles presented an opportunity to change as a group and we did it. This is another opportunity if it at all interests you so.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe. Nirolak(?) were talking about how to best promote such a heavy investment, but if they release a teaser image like this - they might as well do something with the last quest in Destiny 1. I hope they do, it would be a nice tribute to the players, but I don't think that they will.

There will probably be something in the quest, like some lore setup or that kind of extra detail type stuff, but my expectation is that we get the primary marketing materials up on the internet first.

For example, imagine a video online showing the game, and then like a transmission from the Cabal Emperor in the quest announcing their invasion of Earth or whatever.

Link to these rumors?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232856887&postcount=205

That's quite reasonable.

It's ok, but I don't know if it's that reasonable. Remember 3 months was the time between expansions last time around. Then light levels went up and new weapons dropped. Maybe the cycle will be different for D2, but still. Anything over a month is a little ridiculous.

I explicitly said "die hard Destiny player", meaning it is the game they play most of the time. Presumably, their friends would be die hard players too, and for the casual friends, they could always alt on Xbox. My point is that there probably won't be another opportunity to switch like this in terms of player investment. I'm probably going to get a pro for this game.
That's what I'm getting Scorpio for 🙃. D2 will be my most played game, without question, given how much I've sunk into the first game.

LtKZcHP.jpg

Just saw your edit
Do you and your friends mostly play Destiny? Do you already own PS4s? I'm not saying it's the right decision for everyone, but it is an ideal time to switch since we're going through a reset and we know PSN will have the most content, even if the PC version is technically superior.

Only 1 of my friends has a ps4. The rest of us are all hardcore destiny players on Xbone.

I explicitly said "die hard Destiny player", meaning it is the game they play most of the time. Presumably, their friends would be die hard players too, and for the casual friends, they could always alt on Xbox. My point is that there probably won't be another opportunity to switch like this in terms of player investment. I'm probably going to get a pro for this game.

Considering how much time I've spent in-game I'd consider myself a "die-hard Destiny player" while owning an Xbox One S, a PS4 Pro, and a PC fitted with an i7 6700, GTX 1070, and 16 GB RAM yet I play Destiny on Xbox One and will continue to do so due to friends, the preference of the Elite Controller, and the platform in general as well. Will also double dip on the PC version for added benefits of that platform.

You kinda come off as saying there can't be any "die-hard" Destiny players on Xbox One.

Never had an issue with finding playres for any activity on Xbox One.

Point being and taking everything into account (Project Scorpio, etc) then it seems a bit illogical for the Xbox One only player to switch right now, at least for me it does.

GlamFM

Banned
There will probably be something in the quest, like some lore setup or that kind of extra detail type stuff, but my expectation is that we get the primary marketing materials up on the internet first.

For example, imagine a video online showing the game, and then like a transmission from the Cabal Emperor in the quest announcing their invasion of Earth or whatever.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232856887&postcount=205

Yeah.

I see no reason for Bungie to let both events (D2 & AOT) clash if there isn't some connection.

Kyoufu

Destiny 2 is about winning back disappointed players who left the Destiny universe after the rocky launch of the first game, so I imagine if we see anything teasing Destiny 2 content then it'll be outside of the first game, so basically on their social media pages.

I imagine they'll do something encouraging Destiny 1 players to move to Destiny 2 with in-game content closer to the September release date.

It's ok, but I don't know if it's that reasonable. Remember 3 months was the time between expansions last time around. Then light levels went up and new weapons dropped. Maybe the cycle will be different for D2, but still. Anything over a month is a little ridiculous.
3 months is better than a year, is what I'm meaning by reasonable, simply by comparison.

Forgot to even mention that... The elite controller is also a huge reason for me to stay on Xbox. Controllers without paddles feel awful to me, especially for games like Destiny.
I use a Brook USB for my elite on PS4, scuff and their two paddle controller is no bueno

You need all 4 padfles

border

Scorpio will run the best console version of the game. I don't see any reason to switch away from Xbox, unless you're going to PC. The Sony-exclusive content in these games has never really amounted to much, and it's all timed anyway.

Forgot to even mention that... The elite controller is also a huge reason for me to stay on Xbox. Controllers without paddles feel awful to me, especially for games like Destiny.

I've mentioned this repeatedly but I love playing the Hunter class, Bones of Eao, Gunslinger or Nightstalker sub-class with the Elite Controller and sprint & jump mapped to the paddles. With that setup mobility in this game is second to none and makes the overall gameplay/gunplay even better which I consider top-rate already.

I've mentioned this repeatedly but I love playing the Hunter class, Bones of Eao, Gunslinger or Nightstalker sub-class with the Elite Controller and sprint & jump mapped to the paddles. With that setup mobility in this game is second to none and makes the overall gameplay/gunplay even better which I consider top-rate already.

I agree, it took what was already best in class and makes it even better.

I have slide and jump mapped to the paddles with sprint on the left thumbstick. For me, it's a night and day difference from standard controls and everything flows so smoothly. It's sublime.

Really hoping for a v2 of the Elite Controller to release alongside the Scorpio.

I don't see how you get that when I'm addressing them, specifically, lol. I've also played Destiny on Xbox 360/One, completed Moments of Triumph for years 1 and 2.

...but why are you addressing them?

I'm just thoroughly confused on why a dedicated Xbox One player up to this point would suddenly jump ship with a more powerful console on the horizon because of not-so-meaningful exclusive DLC.

I'm not into system wars or anything but rather good quality gaming experiences no matter the platform as I own all the systems including Nintendo.

Kyoufu

Is there a way to use the Elite controller on PS4 wirelessly? If so, I'll probably look into getting whatever hardware is required to get that up and running. Destiny without paddles feels wrong.

Lgndryhr

I enjoyed D1 during first 6-9 months when it launched. Took breaks afterwards and would come back periodically. Eventually did move on, but made some great friends in that game. Looking forward to D2, but being very cautious this go around.

Lee

Is there a way to use the Elite controller on PS4 wirelessly? If so, I'll probably look into getting whatever hardware is required to get that up and running. Destiny without paddles feels wrong.

I use the wired Brook adapter and its great. I read that it can work wirelessly but I never tried to figure it out.

...but why are you addressing them?

I'm just thoroughly confused on why a dedicated Xbox One player up to this point would suddenly jump ship with a more powerful console on the horizon because of not-so-meaningful exclusive DLC.

I'm not into system wars or anything but rather good quality gaming experiences no matter the platform as I own all the systems including Nintendo.
Because of the character reset. I'm not saying that there aren't good reasons to play on Xbox, you and others have listed compelling ones. I'm saying that the character break and the leak, which gave us info that content exclusivity will continue, might present an opportunity for individuals and/or groups to make the switch if they care about that stuff.

If playing the most technically advanced version is your primary concern, I would recommend PC, and you could even use the Elite controller there also, yes? But even PC won't have the exclusive content. I like having the extra strikes and PvP maps and weapons and gear, but I also have most of the people I like to play with on PS4 (because we decided as a group to switch). I think that is the top priority for most people.

pantsmith

Because it makes the whole lore and 2 expansions stupid. It won't ever happen. You don't have to be a Fallen to use their weapons also.

Not really. Variks hints at what the Fallen once were, both in terms of culture and as the previous followers of the Traveler ("The Great Machine"), and aspires to unite them in the ways of the old, honorable houses. It would make sense for the Traveler to forgive some "chosen" Fallen as Guardians in a particularly bleak moment of desperation.

The rest of the Fallen can still co-exist as badguys too.

Really wish the PS4 had an Elite controller. If it was up to me, every new default controller would have optional paddles.

This is my issue right here. So I'm either going PC or sticking to Xbox.

I really hate console exclusive content...

So there are plenty of options out there. I owned TWO elite controllers. Both had terrible stick drift, still a nice controller. I bought a battle beaver custom for ps4 and I actually like it more than the elite that I bought a converter to use the controller for xbox as well. It's also cheaper. You can customize it any way you want.

17553609_10154570442519397_1842804461582422622_n.jpg

If playing the most technically advanced version is your primary concern, I would recommend PC, and you could even use the Elite controller there also, yes?

Yes, and I will be unless Project Scorpio offers benefits beyond what will available on (my) PC. In any case I'll be playing in some form on Xbox and PC from the outset this time.

I have all of Destiny and it's expansions on both Xbox One and PS4 currently but like I said I prefer the Xbox platform for different reasons and entered the PS4 fray on Destiny quite late (had $60 refund from NMS and stupidly [didn't properly consider the required time sink] bought Destiny and have barely played it) and simply don't want to/have the time to re-do everything for even one, much less three characters (not this late in the game especially, I'm very content with my three Xbox One characters).

Edit: I remember the main reason I picked up Destiny for the PS4 was to try out Cinema mode on the PSVR headset.

FyreWulff

I have a feeling if i multiplatformed and got PC, i'd probably mostly just do PvE on PC so I'd just be using a controller there too.

Really wish the PS4 had an Elite controller. If it was up to me, every new default controller would have optional paddles.

This is my issue right here. So I'm either going PC or sticking to Xbox.

I really hate console exclusive content...

You can use the elite controller on a PS4 with a cronusmax. I use it, works perfectly, but the setup takes a little fiddling. You may also need a usb hub for it.

I have a feeling if i multiplatformed and got PC, i'd probably mostly just do PvE on PC so I'd just be using a controller there too.

If PvP has aim assist, m/kb may not have too much of an advantage.

I've never held an elite. Paddles on the back sound weird, I'd probably end up pressing one by accident.

I only use the top right and left short-paddles as I can't really get comfortable with those and the right and left bottom long-paddles at the same time. You can buy different paddles in accessory sets as I'd like to try using four short-paddles but I've yet to do so.

If we don't get more info today I'm gonna lose my mind.

lhjhbB9.gif

Yeah, I'd love to enter the game after the update and have a video waiting on the Director map screen similar to the videos for previous expansions but I doubt it will happen.

I have so much to play right now yet when news about your favorite game(s) drops it takes some luster away from other titles (currently installing MLB The Show 17).

I've never held an elite. Paddles on the back sound weird, I'd probably end up pressing one by accident.
It feels weird at first, and you mess up a lot in the beginning, but soon it just becomes an extension of your fingers.

Do you know how great it is to never have to press down L3 to run?

It's amazing.

4 paddles > 2 paddles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom