• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Review Thread

Neoweee

Well now that there's a dedicated 'Destiny' guy on every review site...

That is kind of worrying, as it inherently fuels selection biases. It is kind of like how later seasons of shows systematically do better on Metacritic during their later seasons, because the only people supplying reviews are those that like the show enough to have stuck around to the Xth season.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Subclass quests dropping randomly like loot sounds stupid as hell, should be explicitly tied to some form of progression IMO.

Digging the new visual effect on enemy kills. Never noticed the ghosts leaving the bodies of Fallen before, but that looks dope.

Getting a sparrow so late sucks too.

Such an easy way out for the developers regarding reviews.

"Oh, the servers aren't live yet, and we certainly don't want to open them just for the press. Sorry, no reviews until one week after launch :) In the meantime, why don't you buy it?"

While yeah, this practice is not fully ideal, it sounds like there was a lengthy review event for press to get their hands on it so they could still give SOME sort of purchasing advice today.

What exactly do they mean with all the bullshit though?

What sticks out the most to me, and I know it won't be the same for a lot of people, is that the bulk of the world building and the story telling is actually in the game. Destiny 1 did a lot of that by using a card system that you had to then go on a website to read. That was the biggest "bullshit" for me.

Destiny 2 sounds like they have put together a fairly good narrative that actually makes the world something you want to revisit. They also established a villain. I barely could figure out who was the dominant enemy force I should care about in the original game.

But the real question here is: should I trust Polygon? It failed me countless times before, so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

like the random perks/stats bullshit

They link to one specific thing in the conclusion paragraph.

"At the very least, what I’ve played of Destiny 2 is an incredibly promising start. In plain English, it feels like Destiny without all the bullshit."

Hmmm I see. For me the bullshit was also how incredibly repetitive the game became but maybe that's just the kind of game and in which case it won't be for me. I did enjoy playing those missions one or twice but after having destroyed that flying eye and all the other stuff I was so damn tired of it.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Is the game a co-op experience? Like the story etc.

I never played the first.

Vire

Destiny 1's biggest bullshit of all time:

Get Purple Engram, open it and receive blue equipment.

It says "without all the bullshit" but is endgame (raid and nightfall) loot still arbitrarily locked to drop only once a week?
Pretty bold claim to make when you haven't seen endgame grind yet.

Polygon said:
The heart of Destiny is repeating endgame activities so you can get high-level rewards, either by earning enough in-game currency to buy them from vendors or by earning loot drops. That phase of Destiny was a pain because of the way Bungie structured the gear system and reward economy. It doesn't seem like those issues will plague Destiny 2, but at this point, I can't say for sure because I haven't had the chance to see the endgame.

EhoaVash

"its destiny without all the bullshit" so as someone who hasn't played Destiny outside the beta, what does this mean.

It says "without all the bullshit" but is endgame (raid and nightfall) loot still arbitrarily locked to drop only once a week?

I'm guessing yes. Based on the review, the bullshit being referred to here is the engram decoding into garbage awards, every mission being a "go here to scan, wait for enemies to pour out of monster closets" level in design, no match-making for raids, etc.

Saganator

Kinda glad the PC version is coming later, gives time for everyone to come down to reality. I remember when D1 came out, everyone thought it was amazing at first, including myself. Took a week or so for people to start seeing the problems with it. Hope it's as good as what everyone thinks it will be, though.

Marcel

Two of the event reviews note that they did not actually finish the campaign or play any of the strikes so you should probably keep that in mind if you are not already a Destiny stan who has had the game pre-ordered since last year or whatever.

shaneo632

Gonna get Knack 2 and wait until Christmas to play this I think when things calm down a bit and the honeymoon period has worn off.

ultron87

I was hoping to see some impressions of the Strikes, since those are a big part of the repeatable stuff in the end game. The one in the beta was good, but I'm hoping they'll ramp up in interesting mechanics from there.

(I already preordered on PSN so it doesn't actually matter, but it'd be nice to read.)

Is the game a co-op experience? Like the story etc.

I never played the first.

You can play all (or at least almost all) the main campaign/story missions solo. I imagine in D2 you will also be able to do most of the open world activities solo as well.

End game content is all co-op. Some stuff has matchmaking and some doesn't

What exactly do they mean with all the bullshit though?

Want to see what weapons Xur has this week? Go to The Tower and deal with a loading screen. Leaving now and going somewhere else? Deal with the loading screen again.

Want to get this mission or that daily bounty? Go to the Tower and deal with the loading screen some more you piece of shit.

Oooh you got some shiny engrams that you want to decrypt?! Go to the Tower after the same loading screen again and deal with Rahools stingy ass. And another load screen when you leave of course.

Oops, did you forget to grab something from your vault? Back to the Tower you go!

And on and on and on and on...it was crazy.

And god forbid you forgot to vault a weapon you wanted for one character and left it equipped on an alt...

Top Bottom