• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Review Thread

SomTervo

Some pretty exciting stuff in these articles. I've had no hype for Destiny 2 and still don't plan on buying it (I still feel burned by the first game, years later), but there is some appealing rhetoric here. From Ars Technica:

After beating Destiny's too-short campaign back in 2014, I found myself dissatisfied with the lack of post-campaign content. The worlds felt tiny. The AI wasn't up to par. The game didn't deliver any long-term "economic" systems like crafting or trading, and its mix of confusing currencies never paid off. Destiny's time-tested, Halo-styled shooting mechanics made a good first impression, but nothing about its characters, missions, or worlds made me want to hang around and keep shooting its guns.

Exactly how I felt.

Destiny 2 immediately wipes away [the philosophy that maxing out gear and loot levels is all that matters] by all-but-killing the notion that only higher-level weapons will get you through higher-level content. Instead, your weapons and gear will work equally well against the game's range of monsters—meaning, bosses will always require more shots and effort than simpler grunt enemies. Your high-leveled weaponry will instead deliver specialized perks against certain enemy factions and their various elemental shields.

Mmm. Me like.
I'm content with the time I got to spend in the other three regions. With each, I enjoyed both riveting campaign missions and opportunities to revisit the worlds, uncover new paths, rediscover existing terrain, and see that each planet appears to be much larger than each D1 equivalent. Confirming exactly how much bigger each planet is will require true scouring. Bungie representatives insist that each zone "really opens up" in terms of size and content after completing the campaign as well, but without a metric of size or scale, I can only guess what that assurance means for now.

If anything was going to be the clincher for me, it would be this.

Still, I can wait for the game to get cheaper. I still predict a pretty brutal grindfest and I'll never pay for that full price.

f@luS

More than a member.
Wish I could play it. But it's too time consuming as in this kind of game I want the best gear always. Was playing 5h per day of the first one and ditching all other game. Like a MMO. Won't buy this one.

Looks like these are all impressions from the same pre launch event EZA mentioned in their preview. Just most labeled as reviews in progress. I'm hearing they didn't send out advance review copies for the game and used this as a workaround

Destiny 2 immediately wipes away [the philosophy that maxing out gear and loot levels is all that matters] by all-but-killing the notion that only higher-level weapons will get you through higher-level content. Instead, your weapons and gear will work equally well against the game's range of monsters—meaning, bosses will always require more shots and effort than simpler grunt enemies. Your high-leveled weaponry will instead deliver specialized perks against certain enemy factions and their various elemental shields.

Wait, what? This is a new one to me. Weapon damage is all the same now? Why would they do that?

DigSCCP

“Now that I’ve spent too many words kind of trashing it, let me tell you: Destiny 2 is better than D1, which I loved, and so I love Destiny 2 even more; I absolutely cannot wait to get back to playing it. I don’t actually care about any of the things I’ve complained about. I’m going to put hundreds of hours into this stupid game, shooting things and watching my numbers go up.“

This is what's wrong with gamers.

These damn gamers all they wanna do is have fun.

It looks like everything is more coherent this time around, with more stuff to do. European Deadzone also looks way cooler than any areas in 1. I'm sold, but I'm still unsure about progression/customization. I did not like the skill trees in the beta, hopefully interesting gear makes up for the lack of meaningful skill tree choices.

SomTervo

Wait, what? This is a new one to me. Weapon damage is all the same now? Why would they do that?

I don't think that's what he meant. He doesn't go into detail but I think he basically means firefights don't live or die on the merits of your gear. I.e. it's just balanced so that you can play through all of campaign/PvE no matter your gear. You won't get gated by gear.

bombshell

Any official word on whether the campaign really does have to be played single player first before you can do it in co-op?

A bungie employee tweeted that the tumor was absurd. I forget his name, but the tweet was posted in that thread that was worried about that.

untitledwesr6.png

I'd like to play it, but I've got so much to play and so little time to play that I'm thinking I will just wait for a complete edition later.

I don't think that's what he meant. He doesn't go into detail but I think he basically means firefights don't live or die on the merits of your gear. I.e. it's just balanced so that you can play through all of campaign/PvE no matter your gear. You won't get gated by gear.

Still pretty weird though. The entire point of MMO/loot games is to level up your gear so you can get to the next tier of content. Really surprising they are moving away from that model. Not sure how I feel about it.

Zemm

Any outlet willing to give a score at this point shouldn't be taken seriously, pro or against.

I'd go as far to say any outlet giving a review before completing the first raid or getting to end game shouldn't be taken seriously. Too many just review the leveling process which ends up being the best part of the game a lot of the time because end game is either completely broken and buggy or a boring grind.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
"WIthout all the bullshit" meaning without the overly complex Light system?

Was it complicated? I didn't play much Destiny 1, but most MMO's have some variation of aggregate 'item level' to ensure base stats are capable of handling endgame content.

WoolyNinja

Looks like these are all impressions from the same pre launch event EZA mentioned in their preview. Just most labeled as reviews in progress. I'm hearing they didn't send out advance review copies for the game and used this as a workaround

^ Yep - I'll wait until people get a chance to play it normally instead of in a perfectly controlled/guided experience in a location where they probably serve free alcohol, free food, etc.

It still all sounds very good and I am looking forward to GAF reactions this week!

SomTervo

Still pretty weird though. The entire point of MMO/loot games is to level up your gear so you can get to the next tier of content. Really surprising they are moving away from that model. Not sure how I feel about it.

It is, but I think he's just trying to point out there's a difference between 1 and 2. Like he's just saying it's not as extreme.

Is it easier to party up with randoms to do raids this time round?

If you are solo you can fill a team of 5 that needs one player through guided games.. also clans being integrated to the game will make it easier for you to find a regular groupto play with.

That said, theres no "fully fledged" matchmaking for raids.

Vlodril

is there any info yet on how long the unique content is in destiny 2? i liked the first game but the mission structure plus how fast you could go through all the content left me disappointed. any idea if there is actually a lot of content on destiny 2?

^ Yep - I'll wait until people get a chance to play it normally instead of in a perfectly controlled/guided experience in a location where they probably serve free alcohol, free food, etc.

It still all sounds very good and I am looking forward to GAF reactions this week!
There will be complaints and backlash. People will claim there will be not enough content from individuals that power level up to the end game as quickly as possible. There will be a grind as it's inherent in the MMO genre

As long as people understand the type of game they're jumping in on and bungee can mix it up enough to not get too stale too quickly it should be fine

Top Bottom