• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny makes $500 million in first 24 hours

Orayn

So this covers the advertising budget?

It means they shipped $500M worth of Destiny to stores, which works out to roughly 8.some million copies. For each retail sale of a $60 game, about $27 is profit for the publisher.

So yeah, this potentially covers a bit less than the supposed advertising budget of the game, assuming it actually is $500M with a roughly 50/50 split. (Bungie has said that the combined dev+ad budget is "not even close" to 500M.)

I'm pretty sick and tired of this argument.

If Destiny sells 45 millions in a month but Yakuza 4 sells 20-50k and Bayonetta sells 800k then yes, consoles are pretty much dead because it's not an all-around healthy environment. It only means the market is dead unless you make a huge stereotypical blockbuster (whether it's good or not is a separate issue) and have at least twice the budget money to market it.
Or maybe it means that not everyone is a Japanophile.

BigDug13

It means they shipped $500M worth of Destiny to stores, which works out to roughly 8.some million copies. For each retail sale of a $60 game, about $27 is profit for the publisher.

So yeah, this potentially covers a bit less than the supposed advertising budget of the game, assuming it actually is $500M with a roughly 50/50 split. (Bungie has said that the combined dev+ad budget is "not even close" to 500M.)

500 million was supposed to be for the 10 years worth of games in the franchise. So this money they just made might cover just the marketing for the entire IP over 10 years, not just this game.

But the question is what value does that $500 million represent.

Is that retail value?

Is it at manufacturer's price of the game?

Well, they may sell a lot of Xbones as well.

I think MS intentionally timed their "Buy an Xbox and get any game free" deal right when Destiny shipped so they could get a lot of Destiny players on Xbones:
http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/xbox-september-promotion

I'm certain they tried to deflate the white PS4 bundles. I'm also quite certain it won't make much of a difference in the snowball sales trajectory of the PS4. We shall see though.

Squishy3

But the question is what value does that $500 million represent.

Is that retail value?

Is it at manufacturer's price of the game?
There's no way to properly break it down either because of all the different SKUs, without knowing how many copies each individual SKU sold.

Not exactly, it's also third person when you're on your hoverbike thingy and when using a certain weapon. And the little d-pad communications and some super moves I think.
Oh that's true, I forgot about the hover vehicles in particular. But really, anyone expecting anything other than an fps are going to be disappointed.

Radec

Destiny didn't do $500 million in a single day. This is retailers anticpating sell through. The question is will a Mario game do $500 million eventually and the answer is chances are good. Most of these copies are going to sit in warehouses for a long time.

Are you still living in the Wii era ?

Krilekk

Banned

Bungie said they have no idea about marketing budget but dev budget would be way below 500 million. The best estimate we have is CliffyB, he said they need to sell ten million copies just to break even. Which puts Destiny at a 300 million budget, dev costs and marketing combined. That puts marketing at about 200 million. 500 million is supposedly the marketing budget over ten years.

Dire

It's rather unlikely that the $500M works out to "8.some" million copies.

Retail prices outside the US are substantially higher and collectors editions further increase the average retail price, which in turn decreases the number of units represented by $500million. Activision are almost certainly including DLC/season pass stuff in that number as well. It's also unclear how/if they are factoring in system bundle+game combos. And how are they accounting for the distribution of digital keys which are obviously infinite and effectively free for them to distribute?

The problem with such opaque numbers is that really they can just say whatever number they want and it's going to be true by at least some combination of the opaque variables that they're not revealing. I spent some time trying to intelligently ballpark what that $500million into units as well, but ultimately decided it's just not reasonably possible without substantive information.

Steel

Banned
I am so glad I own stock in this company for the moment. I do wonder if they can keep up the demand with the game the way it is.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Sure, but since my completely 100% objective opinion is that the game itself is not that great, the massive sales figures must obviously be the result of marketing.
Yes, my opinions are always 100% objective. Deal with it.

In this case, don't expect me and other people to take your opinions seriously at this point.

People who think their opinions are facts are close-minded

A-V-B

wait wait wait guys

this is just copies shipped to stores, not copies actually bought

right

don't we sorta need to calm down?

I'm certain they tried to deflate the white PS4 bundles. I'm also quite certain it won't make much of a difference in the snowball sales trajectory of the PS4. We shall see though.

Normally I wouldn't agree, but I saw that the white PS4 has already sold almost as much as the the titanfall bundle already on amazon this year.

You know, the bundle that Microsoft was practically giving away at one point.

The game/bundle has only been out 2 days. o_O

To put it in further perspective, its only one spot behind XBO COD.

The bundle. Not the game.

p3tran

Banned
the pr reads like activision ..invented destiny, which is clearly not the case.

I like this announcement though, its a nice punch in the face to those that say "consoles are dead"

Ethelwulf

Not sure if this has been noted before. The Metacritic user score of Destiny on PS4 is based on ~1320 ratings while on Xbox One is based on ~440, which is exactly a 3:1 ratio. Could this be indicative of a general trend in terms of sales proportions?

nomis

Yet more proof that marketing matters more than the quality of your product.

eKF5deB.jpg

Lemondish

Not sure if this has been noted before. The Metacritic user score of Destiny on PS4 is based on ~1320 ratings while on Xbox One is based on ~440, which is exactly a 3:1 ratio. Could this be indicative of a general trend in terms of sales proportions?

The quality of those reviews is atrocious and many are clearly fueled by irrational console war passion. I don't think metacritic is able to tell us anything of worth. I don't think it ever could.

Footos22

No cos all the zeroes and 1s its getting on either side are from fanboys trying to alter the aggregate score for both systems

metacritic user reviews need to be killed

down 2 orth

Yeah but it's more fun to jump on an inflated hype train.

I don't think Activision is stupid enough to pull an E.T. and flood the market with a game that nobody wants. They've done their homework; they know the minimum amount of copies that will be sold in a worst case scenario.

Quasar

Really curious to know the platform breakdowns. Or at least the current gen/last gen breakdowns. You'd think day one sales might skew heavily to this gen, but what is there maybe 15m current gen console owners?

nomis

Really curious to know the platform breakdowns. Or at least the current gen/last gen breakdowns. You'd think day one sales might skew heavily to this gen, but what is there maybe 15m current gen console owners?

I've seen enough Destiny-related breakdowns tonight

DieH@rd

Banned

UK report next week will most surely have Destiny platform breakdown.

I don't think Activision is stupid enough to pull an E.T. and flood the market with a game that nobody wants. They've done their homework; they know the minimum amount of copies that will be sold in a worst case scenario.

Sales to retail instead of actual sales numbers is a pretty common tactic used when they don't want to release the real sales, generally because, you know, they weren't super great.

Can we not pretend like that's not a thing that happens by taking it to the most amazing extreme by bringing up E.T.?

No cos all the zeroes and 1s its getting on either side are from fanboys trying to alter the aggregate score for both systems

metacritic user reviews need to be killed

This is true, but amazon US has currently 105 user reviews for the PS4 version and 75 user reviews for the Xbox one version.

Amazon uk has 66 ps4 36 xbox one.

At this point it could mean anything. Its not a reliable metric by any means. Still its interest to see if these proportions match up to sales or not.

Hyunashi

Normally I wouldn't agree, but I saw that the white PS4 has already sold almost as much as the the titanfall bundle already on amazon this year.

You know, the bundle that Microsoft was practically giving away at one point.

The game/bundle has only been out 2 days. o_O

To put it in further perspective, its only one spot behind XBO COD.

The bundle. Not the game.

Thats pretty dam expensive. I wonder how many people traded in their old PS4s for the beautiful white machine like I did. Will be interesting to see numbers.

vato_loco

Question to all of you guys playing this one. Is the single player campaign worth it? As in, does it stand on its own, or is it like Call of Duty, where it's just 5 hours long at best and off to multiplayer you go.

This is true, but amazon US has currently 105 user reviews for the PS4 version and 75 user reviews for the Xbox one version.

Amazon uk has 66 ps4 36 xbox one.

At this point it could mean anything. Its not a reliable metric by any means. Still its interest to see if these proportions match up to sales or not.

If the sales threads are any indication we should get a break down of percentage of sales per system for the UK, but we have to hope for a leak for US numbers (Unless Activision says something, but I am not sure they will; they don't for COD). But as you have shown, what little data we do have show a sharp favor towards PS4 (Makes sense with the co marketing deal and general larger install base).

Question to all of you guys playing this one. Is the single player campaign worth it? As in, does it stand on its own, or is it like Call of Duty, where it's just 5 hours long at best and off to multiplayer you go.

Less like COD more like Diablo. It will net you around 12-15 hours Straight through, but has daily Heroic versions of the missions at level cap for more loot (again, like Diablo). But a lot of your enjoyment will rest on playing with friends. The single player is only a third the game and about half as fun alone as it is with good company^^

vato_loco

Less like COD more like Diablo. It will net you around 12-15 hours Straight through, but has daily Heroic versions of the missions at level cap for more loot (again, like Diablo). But a lot of your enjoyment will rest on playing with friends. The single player is only a third the game and about half as fun alone as it is with good company^^

Awesome. Although I'm not a fan of multiplayer (that is, I never play multiplayer), it seems that the single player is robust enough on its own.

Top Bottom