• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny makes $500 million in first 24 hours

down 2 orth

Sales to retail instead of actual sales numbers is a pretty common tactic used when they don't want to release the real sales, generally because, you know, they weren't super great.

Can we not pretend like that's not a thing that happens by taking it to the most amazing extreme by bringing up E.T.?

If those games don't get sold through to consumers, then it will be an extreme on the exact same scale at E.T.

People looking at these numbers aren't getting riled up on hype alone. They're amazed that Destiny has sold half a billion dollars worth of copies to retailers, which is a strong indication that it's going to sell through to even larger numbers.

jrDev

No, it's a first person shooter. The only time you're in 3rd person is on the hub world where all the merchants are.

Also, those third person screen shots, like in the share thread, make me think about how great it would be too since I also prefer third person to first person.
Jesus christ, I can't stand this gimmick of allowing you to create awesome characters only to be locked behind most of the game in FP.

Could there be any chance for them to update and allow full third person? :/

If those games don't get sold through to consumers, then it will be an extreme on the exact same scale at E.T.

I don't understand the logic here. 500 million dollars to retail not selling as well as they'd like does not automatically equal E.T. level extreme.

Once again, pretending only releasing sales to retail isn't a common tactic when actual sales aren't as impressive. I mean it's not like this happened recently or anything like that right?

Oh riiight Call of Duty Ghosts hahahaha. They released sales to retail before actual sales generated and it wasn't an E.T SCALE DISASTER so what the fuck are you on about.

http://www.businessinsider.com/destiny-first-day-sales-2014-9

People are in fact, getting riled up on hype alone. They do it all the time.

Top Bottom