• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GafOpen_Gifv2.gif

Featuring:

The Mythocast - DestinyGAF's Own Occasionally-released Podcast

08-Titles_Introduction.jpg
ot30introflat_0149s4h.jpg

ot30introflat_03oes03.jpg

It's been quite a year. It has been a true honor to share it with you all.

09-Titles_DGAFyear1HonorRoll.jpg
Click on an image to maximize/minimize.​

06-Titles_CommunityService.jpg

In this section, I just wanted to give some shout-outs to members of the community that I've personally experienced going well above and beyond the call of duty as a member of a gaming community.
Whether it be helping newbies, stimulating discussion in our threads, or just being awesome, I thank you all for your service.

By no means is this list even close to exhaustive or representative of everyone that makes DGAF what it is.
Truly, we could fill an entire thread with the heroic tales of warmth and guidance our members have spawned.
This is just a small sampling of a few players I've seen regular contributions from first-hand over the last 365 days.

communityservicevosu7.png

Also, below is a link to information about the Weekly Newbie Raids open to all. For now, we rotate between VoG, CE, and PoE35... but King's Fall is coming ASAP!
This section is also where information on any future community assistance events will go.

07-Titles_DGAFyear1Memories.jpg
liPVtah.jpg

A small selection of reminiscences from the first year of Destiny... remember, you can always click on the little arrow by the username to see the full post.

TL;DR
I thought Destiny was cool. I got bored with Destiny. I stopped being bored with Destiny. I think Destiny is cool.
It's been a fun year guys. Crazy to think it has been that long. Still remember my first VOG raid. My mic and headset were being weird and we were at the confulx phase with fanatics spawning. I hadn't heard any of the instruction on this so when I saw the green goop I ran straight into it thinking "Wow this is really cool...oh ritual of negation..wonder what that means." *Dead*. Funny coincidence that year one was book ended for me when praetorian foil dropped. One of the best moments.
I can't believe it has been a year with this game, I remember not even going to DGAF until the week of the HM Crota release.

I completed my first raid with people from the Bungie forums and still friends with one of them to this day, we stuck together for 17 hours and defeated Atheon for the first time, it was glorious.

The loot cave was awesome, spending 6 hours a day sometimes shooting at a damn cave with the guys from Bungie forums.

Then, Crota's End. We all left because we were pissed off about the level difference that they pull with the raid and they left the game and went back to FF XIV or Everquest. So in January I forgot I actually had a account with NeoGAF and found the Destiny OTs by coincidence, because at that point I was really thinking about dropping the game and never come back but I stuck through with you guys/gals through the dark days of Crota and the Trials of Hand Cannons bullshit.

And now that I only play with you guys, I can't wait for Year 2 of this game. Year 1 was stupid fun and I'd imagine Year 2 will be as well

tl;dr: I almost gave up on Destiny in January but found the DestinyGAF thread.

Thank you guys. :p
You know, I left Destiny very disappointed and angry with the game when it was first released. I was pretty much done with it forever, and said to myself "man...that game could've been great".

Then when Taken King was announced, I thought "man...maybe I should check out Destiny and see if it's changed". I picked up the DLC, started playing again, and found very quickly that I was having a lot of fun. It seems a lot of other people I know came back around the same time, so I had plenty of people to do raids and PoE with.

I have to say, coming back to Destiny has been a really pleasant experience. GAF especially has been really cool to play with. :D

Looking forward to some TTK with all of you!
Last minute year 1 memories:

- playing the beta and being hooked almost immediately despite the frustration of it being my first console/controller FPS
- loot cave!
- the first purple engram I saw drop "in the wild"
- lurking in the first 6 DGAF OTs and finally posting:

So naive!
- missing the boat on Kor's "raid virgins" run, biting the bullet, and starting my own beginning my illustrious career of raid organization
- Hawkian's VoG newbie raid still one of my favorite experiences in the game so far. Thanks so much for all you do, Hawk!
- My first proper CE run, with a gruff-but-helpful Grave at the helm. I'm not sure if I was more afraid of the Abyss or the fireteam leader. =)
- Struggling through a Phogoth nightfall underleveled, but persistent, pot-shotting him to death through the 2 doorways over the course of about 45 minutes.
- first CE HM kill with Router_Go_Vroom (whose GAF name I can never remember) and proudly rocking glowhoo for 2 weeks after even though all I did was shoot rockets a few times.
- Verde getting 2 damn Fatebringers in one drop
- random Suros from Crucible
- Unstable carrying me to Mercury
- Last week's RNG apology to me, granting me both Hawkmoon and Crux
- pushing GRIP off stuff
- making fun of GRIP, in general
- Raiding almost every damn week my raid team
At first I was lazy and complained about the lack of matchmaking across Raids and Nightfalls. But once I gave in and started looking for help in the OTs, my love of Destiny increased dozens of times over.

Really looking forward to experiencing all of Year 2 with you, DGAF!
My first 20 was my Warlock. Time passed and it became my Titan. My first exotic was Suros. And of course loot cave. Who will ever forgot spending hours at a time shooting into a damn cave hoping for at least a blue. Then towards the end of October I burnt myself out. It wasn't until Christmas break that found out about Destiny Gaf. First person I met here was ReignofSparrows. DGAF community is easily the reason why I still play this game. Shalashaska161 invited me to my first raid, Crota, and with his group carried me through my first raid. It made Destiny fun again for me. My favorite memory with DGAF is when I got my first Gjallarhorn from the VoG chest. I think I left everyone deaf in that party chat. I think I broke. Lol(Sorry to everyone that day, but I'm not sorry for being happy).
Here is my favorite personal story from DGAF Year 1:

It was December 7th, and I couldn't get enough of the Vault of Glass. The grind of a thousand public events for Vanguard marks could not stop me. I finally hit a light level high enough to fully contribute to a normal raid, but my real life buddies were not keeping up. And so when Ghaleon asked way back in OT11 if anyone was up for a raid, I jumped at the opportunity. He already had Dax and "another" lined up so he needed three.

He seemed pretty cool in his interactions on GAF and so I joined. Little did I know that "another" ended up being not one, but two Bungie employees!
And some delivered via haiku...
Vanilla:
I just need the boots!
I'm Forever 29
RNG hates me

Crota:
Who wants to run sword?
Kill the gatekeeper right now
Where did the sword go?

Crota is moving
I wish I had a chalice
Crap that is a wipe

PoE
Why no 6 man raid?
Carry me to Mercury
Burning Shrine for days

Thorn can fuck itself
Everything needs to be nerfed
Blink don't kill my vibe

Everything was nerfed
Necrochasm is the truth
I miss Dinklebot
Next, as a sendoff to our beloved Year 1 Gear, the results of LTWood12's Exotic item survey:
"If you could only keep one exotic armor and weapon, which would you choose?"
And finally, a handful of memories in GIF form...
Nighthawk vs. Crota
Atheon vs. Arc Blade
One in a million.
TOO SEXY
Gjallarhorn is the solution to all problems
A fine duel. Good show!

01-Titles_General.jpg

02-Titles_Post20.jpg

[/URL]All of our original progression guides are obsolete as of the release of the The Taken King.
New guides will be posted as the intricacies of the new system come to Light. You can still read Building with Exotics for general theorycrafting and choosing your exotic combinations.
Congratulations and thank you to all those who survived the Year 1 leveling process!

03-Titles_TipsTricks.jpg

04-Titles_WallShame.jpg
2NuRqTn.png

Annimation1.gif

GL-19.jpg

• Unlock all Achievements, then PM Lnkn52 to be added to the list! Send a PM here.
05-Titles_TLW.jpg

In honor of The Last Word's most famous user 'round these parts, I wanted to give the last word to Zoba. See you all starside!
Zoba said:
There's nothing quite like being part of a community in its infancy, especially one as intrinsic as an MMO. New games in old franchises carry a lot of baggage, which makes it inaccessible to new fans and tiring to veterans alike. But when the slate is blank and the pen goes down, you can only go forward. Suffice it to say, I'm [once again] optimistic about the future of Destiny.
vfBeKmO.gif

Klyka

Banned
Can I earn rep to get to Rank 1 in PVP?

The only way to earn rep with the gunsmith is finishing the prototype tests.
So if you accept the ones that are crucible specific, then yes, you can.

Honestly, with how quick the damn bounties, especially in PvE, were, I expect them to be daily instead of weekly.

It just doesn't make sense to have a "get like 10 headshots" prototype test which took all of 2 minutes to be a weekly bounty.
A weekly bounty is something you work on bit by bit to keep you busy.
These are like little "oh try this today!" things that give you rep so you can get the actual guns once a week.

At last that is what I think.

Oh.
Ok, so same thing as the burn percentages: they nerf it so that the new items giving buffs bring it back to fairness.
Yeah, well, not a fan of this design philosophy...

Again think about it:

Beforehand you could only get either Vanguard/Crucible OR Faction rep.
Now you get both, with faction being half of what you get for vanguard/crucible.
But with a buffed item, you then actually get more, meaning that at the end of the day you level 2 factions as or nearly as fast as you did one before!

PERSPECTIVE PEOPLE

Namikaze1

Woah. I knew the Anniversary collage was getting added but the gif is a nice surprise. :)

Anyway, I need one more for PoE35 on PS4.

void666

Banned
Here we go again!

Hey, i enjoyed crossroads and sector 618.
I'm having fun with pvp. Trying to do the gunsmith bounties.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you've stuck with us since the single digit OTs I encourage you to read through the intro to this one and peep the link back to OT11. It's just ridiculous how frenetically active and awesome this community has been.

All complaints regarding the thread title should be directed to Luke Smith's Twitter account.

Special thanks again to Boguester, Nami, Lnkn, Todd, and Duebrithil for graphics and/or backend work.

Shito

Again think about it:

Beforehand you could only get either Vanguard/Crucible OR Faction rep.
Now you get both, with faction being half of what you get for vanguard/crucible.
But with a buffed item, you then actually get more, meaning that at the end of the day you level 2 factions as or nearly as fast as you did one before!

PERSPECTIVE PEOPLE
Oh, you also get vanguard rep along with the faction one?
I'm REALLY tired if I missed that, and if so yeah, it really is better.
Off to bed I go, then, but not before celebrating OT30: it's been one hell of a year with you guys, can't wait to really start year 2 next Tuesday.
This community is awesome.

coy

Nice OT to bring in Year 2. I believe I will be back in action for TTK after missing almost all of HoW. Pray for Mojo.

Also, thanks Xplicit for the gl last night. I saw it in the morning. I also made good luck adobo last night in hopes of getting the gig. Bring on the King!

These are like little "oh try this today!" things that give you rep so you can get the actual guns once a week.

Some people do suck pretty hard at Crucible so the two Omolon ones would be challenging for some. Like the guys that never finished the Thorn bounty

Klyka

Banned
Some people do suck pretty hard at Crucible so the two Omolon ones would be challenging for some. Like the guys that never finished the Thorn bounty

They could be challenging but you don't have a timelimit. You literally need 10 kills over however many games you want to play/can play.

They do need to throw SOME PvP stuff in there, I fully understand that.

edit:

Fantastic OT btw, I absolute LOVE the animated logo!

ocean

Banned
Incredible to imagine I've been wasting productive hora of every day talking to you guys for a year now.

I'm excited about doing this with the same energy in the year we're now beginning.

Hype on guys.

Tonyus

I did all the weapon bounties from the Gunsmith and only got to 1250/1500 rep. Is there any way to make up the extra needed rep?

Cruxist

Damn. 30 OTs within a year. Man, I remember launch day. I remember Crota HM launch thread and winning within an hour and all the hype. Here's to year 2, guardians.

Hedge

So.. did Bungie mention if Xur would carry the Year 2 versions of earlier exotics, or exclusively new year 2. I know he sells old engrams, but I'm more wondering about the updated old exotics that are brought forward.

I sort of hope to see him sell a year 2 Ram, since I have horrible luck with drops.

phen0m24

Just noticed I was in that mix up there. Honored.

Thanks Hawkian - you've spent time taking my offspring, my friends, people in FRANCE lol Javi through the raid..

You sir, are epic. :)

rNilla

Bahaha. I figured it would be a little egomaniacal to leave that in there. Feel free to link to it next time you get hawk-drunk though ;)

I actually intended to keep it current by comparing OT to OT to add new people but suddenly it's many OTs later and ... yeah. It served its purpose. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom