• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

I'm probably feeling crazy, but if there's anything going on regarding moneyhats with Destiny, I imagine it to be Microsoft spending money to spread negative public awareness for this release.
L2r8s8a.gif

It's an xbox game too, you're definitely crazy.

I get it! There's absolutely no reason that PR companies have budgets for this type of operation, or any precedent in believing that such a thing has not happened in the past.

Anyway, I prefaced the post by saying that it was a crazy thought, so obviously I am not making factual statements.

But why MS? Destiny benefits them too. It would be marginally less crazy if you were to accuse EA of a smear campaign.

It's opinions, dude. From what I remember of the train sequence, that was just one huge set piece that wasn't all that fun to play again. The enemies were extremely generic, lacking in personality and were incredibly dull to fight against. Nothing like the fun Vex, Hive, Fallen, and Cabal that's in Destiny.

To each her own.

The jetpack Cabal are the only ones I'd even nod to if I saw them in the street. Their jump looks great, and the oil spouting headshot death is so satisfying. The other enemies though? Nothing special, and some like the Fallen Wizards and groups of Knights boarder on annoying. "Generic, lacking in personality, and incredibly dull" is a line I'd lob at like 95% of the enemies and encounters in this game. One Brute riding a chopper across a sand dune is worth 100 Vex.

This. UC2 got many Goty awards. It was game of that console generation for me. And people think Destiny beat it? Well I'm glad you are enjoying the game but you need to realize your view is a bit of an outlier.

Given that they're completely different games, it's a bit odd to say that people can't prefer Destiny over UC2.

Have any of the reviewers been able to play the Venus Raid?

After playing it(we're almost done!)I don't see how anyone can objectively score this game without having played the absolute best part of the entire thing..

After TONS of hours leveling and doing repetitive shit I was starting to wonder what it was all about myself. Then after the first night of the Raid it all made a hell of a lot more sense to me. It's bloody brilliant, and everyone owes it to themselves to at least give the game long enough to level up and give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

Muffdraul

This is probably the best plan. The last page has brought some of the most bizarre opinions I've ever seen on Gaf. I had to reread a bunch of them multiple times just to be sure I didn't get them completely wrong.

That's how it is for me pretty much every day I come here.

Synth

After playing it(we're almost done!)I don't see how anyone can objectively score this game without having played the absolute best part of the entire thing..

If the best bit comes...

After TONS of hours leveling and doing repetitive shit

...then you may as well just fucking score it before then. Because a LOT of people aren't going to persevere long enough to ever play it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sounds like everyone at IGN is relieved to finally get it out. Maybe the reviewer got overwhelmed by having this big of a review?

There is something going on behind the scenes at IGN for this review. I am 100% not saying they are being paid, or pressured. It looks more of a personel or time-management issue.

The review was delayed 1 more day due to a last-minute video production hiccup, but it was never really scheduled to go live earlier than that, although there was certainly desire to try and condense the production schedule to get it out sooner.

Destiny is a really really big game and IGN didn't get early access. Just had to power through as fast as possible as soon as the servers went up. A normal "big" game probably takes ~1 week. This took a couple more days than that. That's all.

As for the motion graphics - yeah, they totally take extra time and add production complexity. BUT - IGN has a dedicated motion graphics employee. So if he wasn't working on this, those production days would have been spent on a different video project.

Cudder

The review was delayed 1 more day due to a last-minute video production hiccup, but it was never really scheduled to go live earlier than that, although there was certainly desire to try and condense the production schedule to get it out sooner.

Destiny is a really really big game and IGN didn't get early access. Just had to power through as fast as possible as soon as the servers went up. A normal "big" game probably takes ~1 week. This took a couple more days than that. That's all.

As for the motion graphics - yeah, they totally take extra time and add production complexity. BUT - IGN has a dedicated motion graphics employee. So if he wasn't working on this, those production days would have been spent on a different video project.

Destiny is not a big game. It's quite constrained, in fact.

After TONS of hours leveling and doing repetitive shit I was starting to wonder what it was all about myself. Then after the first night of the Raid it all made a hell of a lot more sense to me. It's bloody brilliant, and everyone owes it to themselves to at least give the game long enough to level up and give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

You're talking about ONE mission. I don't care how good it is - you can't say that drastically changes the score for an entire game.

This isn't a game to play to 'finish' it and to expect a satisfying story finale. It is designed around the gameplay itself, and the multiplayer options.

Speaking as someone who's on the fence about the game, if your game doesn't pass muster with it's single-player content, then don't even bother devoting resources to it in the first place. I'm not big on Titanfall, but I understand it was a game that was, first and foremost, about a core multiplayer concept. Anything else was secondary.

I watched about three hours of this on YT, to get a feel and see if it might be worth picking up a PS4 for. It has one of the most vague and poorly-written openings to a game in recent memory. You get a cutscene of guys discovering this huge monolith, and then we cut to x years later with no explanation of what happened in between besides some vague references later about how the Traveler elevated society in certain ways... I guess it built that city? They reverse-engineered the Ghosts?

Then you have the character introduction, which was so laughable that I thought it was a parody. You're just some random dead guy a ghost pulled out of the rubble to be a Guardian, you have the personality of a doornail and there's really no compelling reason to do anything other than this vague "darkness" that's coming. The villains seem really generic, and I just didn't see anything that swayed me.

Tubie

Just traded this game in at Gamestop, they gave me $44...

Feels good.

I finished the story and did a few hours of PvP so I think I got my moneys ($16) worth even if the story was trash.

GhaleonEB

...then you may as well just fucking score it before then. Because a LOT of people aren't going to persevere long enough to ever play it.

"It's time consuming to get to what is said to be the best part of the game so we didn't bother playing it either." Now apply this logic to how anything else gets reviewed.

Maybe I missed it, but IGN didn't really comment on the lackluster story or the repetitive nature of story missions. Seems like an odd ommission. I can understand if they are factors that didn't effect their view of the game, but to not even mention them is wierd.

Review was good, but kind of safe. I think a 7.8 is a fair score.

You're talking about ONE mission. I don't care how good it is - you can't say that drastically changes the score for an entire game.

Have you played it? I'd call it more than just one mission. It's 10 hours, which is probably longer than the story took most people.

More importantly, it provides some context for all the repetitive grinding.

The jetpack Cabal are the only ones I'd even nod to if I saw them in the street. Their jump looks great, and the oil spouting headshot death is so satisfying. The other enemies though? Nothing special, and some like the Fallen Wizards and groups of Knights boarder on annoying. "Generic, lacking in personality, and incredibly dull" is a line I'd lob at like 95% of the enemies and encounters in this game. One Brute riding a chopper across a sand dune is worth 100 Vex.

The fact that this game doesn't rely heavily on cover but movement, has four different alien races (at times fighting each other and you in three-way battles), ludicrous feedback, doesn't have you fighting humans of some kind – all traits of which make it already a different AAA game without bringing in encounter design – has me heavily disagreeing with that statement.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
"It's time consuming to get to what is said to be the best part of the game so we didn't bother playing it either." Now apply this logic to how anything else gets reviewed.

No. When a game is launched, it's fair game to review. Period.

It was Activision and Bungie's decision to flip the servers on and begin selling the game without the raid being live yet.

The Iron Banner goes live in a bit. Hold the review for that? Maybe for the next story content drop? When is a review appropriate, in your mind?

The game is out = fair game for reviewers. If the raid content should be included as a part of review consideration, then include that content when the game ships. You can't review the promise of future content.

All that being said, IGN's reviewer did poke around the raid,

JCizzle

While "time consuming" is all encompassing, it's a mixture of a lot of things. The grind, the additional hurdle to find the other players without in game help, the long ass time it takes to actually beat it, etc. It's excessive for something that is being billed as a game changer, in my opinion. For example, the new Wow expansion won't be reviewed based on its heroic raids because of how much goes into getting to them for a very small number of people.

Speaking as someone who's on the fence about the game, if your game doesn't pass muster with it's single-player content, then don't even bother devoting resources to it in the first place. I'm not big on Titanfall, but I understand it was a game that was, first and foremost, about a core multiplayer concept. Anything else was secondary.

I watched about three hours of this on YT, to get a feel and see if it might be worth picking up a PS4 for. It has one of the most vague and poorly-written openings to a game in recent memory. You get a cutscene of guys discovering this huge monolith, and then we cut to x years later with no explanation of what happened in between besides some vague references later about how the Traveler elevated society in certain ways... I guess it built that city? They reverse-engineered the Ghosts?

Then you have the character introduction, which was so laughable that I thought it was a parody. You're just some random dead guy a ghost pulled out of the rubble to be a Guardian, you have the personality of a doornail and there's really no compelling reason to do anything other than this vague "darkness" that's coming. The villains seem really generic, and I just didn't see anything that swayed me.

It's compelling because it's fun to play. I played half of the campaign solo and was having fun with the gunplay, atmosphere, set pieces. Nobody complains about Zelda games having a silent protagonist, I don't see how that should matter unless you expect a game with a strong narrative or character presence.

It's a game about shooting things, in space, why so serious?

Not saying you can't have this opinion, I just think it is a bit bizarre to judge Destiny on having a silly/un-fleshed out story. Or at least to focus on that point.

Ingueferroque, pls.

I forgot my username was a Marathon reference! I'm shilling good.. :) Better go back to work and hope I get to play this weekend.

Synth

If that best part is a single mission, and all that other time is everything else (and will be what you return to afterwards)... then yea...

I get that I worded that poorly though.

If the best bit comes...

Well that is their loss, and in that case I probably wouldn't give their opinion much weight anyway.

It's opinions, dude. From what I remember of the train sequence, that was just one huge set piece that wasn't all that fun to play again to me. The enemies were extremely generic, lacking in personality and were incredibly dull to fight against. Nothing like the fun Vex, Hive, Fallen, and Cabal that's in Destiny.

To each her own.

I don't know, the Vex, Fallen and Hive were all kind of boring shooting gallery fodder that generally just stand there or poke out of cover and shoot. Cabal are a lot of fun from the Phalanx shielding to the Legendary's flying around and mixing things up.

Izuna

Banned
NGB reviewers had better played Very Hard mode before giving a score. Doesn't matter if you need to finished the game doing the same thing a bunch of times, you should see all content before judging. Oh and unlocking all missions in the mission mode, since they change things up a bit.

/s

See the above sarcasm sounds ridiculous because NG is both extremely difficult AND just as fun on the first missions as it is on the more elaborate ones. We were all told by Bungie to wait until LV20, and then further wait for the Raid (being LV25/27) before being able to actually enjoy it like they supposed. I'm certain, that even if we could Raid in the same difficulty at LV5, it still wouldn't make many of us enjoy the game any more.

And that's exactly why reviewers can basically say that Destiny endgame is not worth playing towards if the journey there is kinda pants.

Have you played it? I'd call it more than just one mission. It's 10 hours, which is probably longer than the story took most people.

More importantly, it provides some context for all the repetitive grinding.

No, and if it requires grinding I won't play it. I don't grind in games - period. I'll play through each mission and strike once, then I'm done. If I still can't do the raid at that point, then that's a shame.

Uncharted's encounters are subpar, on average. There's nothing in Uncharted 2, in terms of the quality of its encounters, that ranks better than anything in Destiny – or even meets it halfway.

I haven't touched the games in a while, but the problem with Uncharted was little-to-no enemy feedback, the shallow difficulty increases (if I recall, an increase in difficulty just added more health to enemies), and a lacking in how many enemies to place in a certain encounter.

These same problems leak into The Last of Us and contribute to that game's poor gameplay.
This is quite possibly the funniest post I've read in defense of the game so far.

Laekon

But.. what did you expect? This isn't a game to play to 'finish' it and to expect a satisfying story finale. It is designed around the gameplay itself, and the multiplayer options.

You did not enjoy the gameplay?
I wasn't expecting a "you just saved the world" ending but at least something beyond a horrible cut scene where the speaker talking to guardians says "these guardians". How about the traveler showing some signs of life, a scene of the people in the city doing better, or something about a new weapon or strategy that needs to be worked in the future?

There are to many annoying features to make up for the good parts. The gun play is good and I could only dream that the next Mass Effect type game could have gun play anywhere near as good. The boss fights all being the same was the big killer to me. The last story mission just being the same thing x3 was ridiculous. How about adding some vehicles or turrets to a mission? Have some timing elements and team work besides changing who the boss is shooting at.

The PvP might be great but that's not my thing. I'm only judging the game based on the story line missions and free play.

I don't know, the Vex, Fallen and Hive were all kind of boring shooting gallery fodder that generally just stand there or poke out of cover and shoot. Cabal are a lot of fun from the Phalanx shielding to the Legendary's flying around and mixing things up.

Well, for one, the Vex don't take cover. They either teleport or stand their ground, depending on the enemy type.

And is taking cover and shooting a bad thing now? I've seen them trying to flank me, run away from me when I activate my super, and so on. Like Halo, the encounters can really change no matter how many times you play them. I dunno, I really like the enemies in the game.

Synth

These Ninja Gaiden Black comparisons don't even work, as the game wasn't shipped with them not even being playable lol.

So the raid didn't seem to make up any of that IGN review, unless I missed it.

Would be funny if they got screwed by the levelling system, and so couldn't play it.

Nipo

"while it may improve later, 30 hours in I found this xxxx to be an unenjoyable game/book /TV show that I am uninterested in continuing"

Seems like a valid review.

Izuna

Banned
These Ninja Gaiden Black comparisons don't even work, as the game wasn't shipped with them not even being playable lol.

To be fair, it takes more than a week for new players to make it to Very Hard anyway (where you fight the most advanced enemies).

This is quite possibly the funniest post I've read in defense of the game so far.

How so? Somebody was comparing Uncharted to Destiny and said he/she preferred the former over the later. I quoted him/her and said I find myself in the opposite camp (though I don't know why we were comparing Uncharted to Destiny in the first place...), and explained my reasoning.

Where does the "defense" come in? I just gave my opinion on a comparison.

IGN all these reviews are a joke because:

IGN
8.9 TitanFall
7.8 Destiny

Polygon
9/10 Titanfall
6/10 Destiny

It's obvious to most Destiny is a better game than Titanfall. How can anyone trust reviews?

Sirim

You made a good choice. TLOU has a greate story and very fun multiplayer.

I rarely trade in games, but I'm thinking about doing it with Destiny - there are so many games coming in november that I want.
With Gamestop's 40$ trade in deal, it was such an easy choice to make.

IGN
8.9 TitanFall
7.8 Destiny

Polygon
9/10 Titanfall
6/10 Destiny

It's obvious to most Destiny is a better game than Titanfall. How can anyone trust reviews?

People have different opinions. I can definitely see why someone would prefer Titanfall over Destiny; Titanfall is a good game, and though there wasn't much content as most games, I found it did what it set out to do very well.

IGN
8.9 TitanFall
7.8 Destiny

Polygon
9/10 Titanfall
6/10 Destiny

Not sure if joke post - you can't make a comparison like that because they are completely different games aside from both being in first person and firing a gun.

I guarantee you there are MANY people who enjoyed Titanfall more than Destiny.

Trey

IGN
8.9 TitanFall
7.8 Destiny

Polygon
9/10 Titanfall
6/10 Destiny

You're too late, ingueferroque already cracked the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom