• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's raids will not support online matchmaking with random players.

Static Jak

I dont see how this would be any better than having matchmaking, in fact it would limit the player resource pool since the tower is really not that populated. I think what bungie really needs to do is if they want to create a barrier to entry then do it with in game mechanics. Require a specific gear level, or some type of checklist that ensures a certain level of dedication to the game.
Well it is end game content at level 20.
I think that requires a decent bit of dedication. If we go the MM route, then have it require a headset plugged in for a start.

Problem is you're going to have people jump onto forums asking randoms to Raid anyway. Only major difference I can see is Bungie making it more of a chore to find people.

KarmaCow

We store insertion points for you each week.

You can resume where you and your group left off. That way, you can play an encounter or two, call it a night, get back together and pick up later in the week.

Each week, your progress and loot eligibility is reset.
(A given encounter only rewards players once a week)

Can you steal a team's ID for that instance for the week like you can in WoW?

Then don't use it.

As a general response to this "it should just be optional" argument: If Bungie can predict that PUGs will fail the vast majority of times due to their inherent lack of coordination, then it makes sense for them to just not do it at all. Otherwise, come launch, due to the excessive fail rate, people would then just complain that the matchmaking system sucks or is broken, or that the raid is too hard, because if it cant be completed by a half decent matchmaking group, then that whole mode is broken bullshit. Meanwhile all the people serious about finishing the raid will just find a clan and ignore the matchmaking system entirely, thus draining more talent out of it and leaving it a wasteland of poor souls doomed to forever fail.

So thats the reason. They aren't just going "no fun for you!" they are really picking the simpler and logical rout. No random chaotic pugs for a mode that by design needs tight teamwork. Whats the point of building and supporting a system that won't work to begin with?

Plus, and this is important too, raiding is its own mode. Its not the final level of the campaign. Its not required content to get the full worth out of the purchase. Theres still strikes and crucible matchmaking for the more typical player. Theres still plenty of looting to be done below the absolute top god-tier. Raiding is its own thing, made specifically for clans. The challenge is designed specifically for people who will work together very well, and keep a irl schedule to do so, to complete. Its not designed for soloers to just jump in and derp about. Sorry if you feel you will be left out of that. People feel left out of the crucible if they don't have gold/ps+, but that doesn't mean crucible shouldn't exist, or should be nerfed and allow bot play to get the same rewards just so everyone can partake. God forbid not every mode is designed to fit every person, from the most casual to the most hardcore, who plays the game.

Join a clan, get to know people. Thats how you raid. It wouldn't be a raid if random people just just run through it. Those are called strikes in Destiny.

Nyx

Plus, and this is important too, raiding is its own mode. Its not the final level of the campaign. Its not required content to get the full worth out of the purchase.

Ofcourse it is, how can I get the full worth out of the purchase if I can't play the full game?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Same here.

I live in a small country in south east asia with a relatively small install base that is split over three consoles (4 if the PS3 has this game as well, I haven't been following the news). And the people that I play games with probably won't pick this up.

*Raises hand*

I did plan on getting this game later after I buy a PS4, but not anymore I guess :/

It's just way too much of a hassle to pre-arrange teams, even in GAF, since most of GAF are US or European or in countries with way too much of a time difference :/

Ah well.

Easily the biggest issue in this game.

This whole issue with Raids would be nearly non-existent if we had basic chat options. When I mean basic, I mean stuff we've had for the most bare bone of MP games.

It might have been possible if I could have jumped into the Tower (you know, A CENTRAL HUB?) and ask if any of them wanted to Raid. If anything, The Tower would have been a handy place to quickly set up a Raid.
Or after a Crucible game you might get to know a few of the players and you guys join up in a Fireteam, maybe jump to a Raid or a Strike or whatever. Social interactions and all that.

But since Bungie has no chat in-game outside of Fireteams, that removes that option.

For a game that's about large social gameplay like the style of MMOs, it's very limited in its Social interactions. To the point where it's nearly non-existent.

Not to mention an absolutely tiny amount of Destiny players would be using Reddit or Bungie forums or GAF and so on. There's no Clan features within the game. The game relies on outside sources for in-game experiences. Most people will never use those. It has to be in-game.

You're playing with other players moving around you but it doesn't feel like you're playing with other people. It might as well be bots.

Completely agree. It's shocking how backwards the social aspects of Destiny are compared to most modern online games.

The tower would be a perfect place to interact, chat up randoms and see who's down to raid. Hell... why not have a specific "vendor" or area that one go to see when they want to find people to raid? You could find people there and initiate raiding parties etc.

Or the tower could remain a facade for a simple options and store menu as it currently is. If the tower remains as it was in Alpha/Beta i'd much rather have it relegated to my menu screen with simple store/crucible/vanguard options etc.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
One thing is we still don't know what the Vault will be holding for the players

I mean we now know Exotic can be bought from the Black Market Vendor that appears on the weekends on a timely basis, using strange coins that a lot of us in the BETA collected but found nowhere to turn those in (I think I had 5 total)

So yeah, what does the raid and vault hold as prizes

Will be interesting

Mr YuYu

Why not offer the option to play with strangers? I get that you'll run into a lot of quitters and that it might require a lot of teamwork but stil... Having the option to play with strangers is always good.

The People Who only play with friends Will do so anyway.

David___

Banned
Why not offer the option to play with strangers? I get that you'll run into a lot of quitters and that it might require a lot of teamwork but stil... Having the option to play with strangers is always good.

The People Who only play with friends Will do so anyway.

--> People play with randoms

--> Fail

--> Complain about match-making, Raid too hard, etc, etc

Repeat ad nauseam

At that point what's the point? All you're left with is people being frustrated and complaining they can't complete content that requires communication with a draw-of-a-hat team. It's a needless headache that's easily solved, and that's what they're doing. All of this "backlash" will end at some point while the whining about failing will never end.

Dumb decision.

I have over 50 people on my friends list and I can't imagine organizing a raid with more than 2. There is no way I can find 5 people all available at the same time to play Destiny. Most people on my friends list have jobs and families and there is no way they can dedicate, for example, 4 hours to raiding. In fact, I can't imagine that many people in general, that have such an amount of time they can dedicate to raids. Yeah, I know there are MMO players that do that, but Destiny is not an MMO so I doubt such crowd will be pulled in.

They have to implement some kind of checkpoint system and enable PUGs. Otherwise, raids will become exclusive to a very small part of Destiny player base, while other players will be politely told to fuck off.
There is a check-point system and that's probably the reason why there's no match-making.

jaosobno

Dumb decision.

I have over 50 people on my friends list and I can't imagine organizing a raid with more than 2. There is no way I can find 5 people all available at the same time to play Destiny. Most people on my friends list have jobs and families and there is no way they can dedicate, for example, 4 hours to raiding. In fact, I can't imagine that many people in general, that have such an amount of time they can dedicate to raids. Yeah, I know there are MMO players that do that, but Destiny is not an MMO so I doubt such crowd will be pulled in.

They have to implement some kind of checkpoint system and enable PUGs. Otherwise, raids will become exclusive to a very small part of Destiny player base, while other players will be politely told to fuck off.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

We store insertion points for you each week.

You can resume where you and your group left off. That way, you can play an encounter or two, call it a night, get back together and pick up later in the week.

Each week, your progress and loot eligibility is reset.
(A given encounter only rewards players once a week)

There you go

Also who is he:
Luke Smith is the design lead for Destiny.

Mr YuYu

--> Fail

Repeat ad nauseam

At that point what's the point? All you're left with is people being frustrated and complaining they can't complete content that requires communication with a draw-of-a-hat team.

I still think its better to include the option for people who don't have any people on their friendslist. If people get frustrated for not being able to complete the content they can still play other playlists. But they at least had to option to try it.

And maybe It could be a fun experience even without completing the content.

LiK

Dumb decision.

Not gonna lie, I have over 200 and just getting 4-5 for Control was a hassle. It will be interesting to see how this goes. Bungie could always open it up to randoms if this doesn't work out for the majority.

I assume that the group/clan functionality was only missing because it was beta. Please tell me the full game will let me see and invite DestinyGAF members from the roster menu.
It's ridiculous if they have this eleborate clan system on BungieNet but the only way to group up is add everyone as a friend on PSN and make a group.

Since you could set your fireteam to public/friends/[friends of friends?] in the beta, I assume there's some way of setting up a random pubbie fireteam.

I've no idea how these insertion points are going to work.
Do you need to ensure that the same 6 players are all online to continue from the insertion point?
Can you run multiple raids on the same character or is it like "Sorry, but you can't raid with Fred until you get Alice/Bob/Charlie/Dave/Eddie together again and finish that last raid attempt that's stuck on checkpoint 3".
I hope it's just going to allow any team to start the raid from any insertion point that has been reached (that week) by all members of the team.

It makes sense to disallow auto-matchmaking, but only if there's a sensible in-game method of manually setting up a group.

I'm really looking forward to the raid mode, but I want to be able to actually play it without planning logistics like a real life military operation.

Maybe we need a handkerchief code like 80's gay clubs.
Dance in the Tower with yellow loincloth/armband/cloak if you want to join the raid.
Use an orange one for iron banner, red for crucible, white for explore mode.

Wizman23

Banned
As an aside, I think we're close enough to the launch of Destiny that it would be a good idea for Bungie to start showing and telling about features at the same time. Right now they're still telling us about features in bits and pieces, so we get an incomplete picture. Everyone is confused, and clarity only comes later when the feature is eventually revealed and things fall into place. This is why it took a beta for us to really understand the game - lots of stuff just wasn't explained well before it hit.

In this case, the kind of information we're getting now would be well paired with the actual reveal of raids. How they work, the destination, difficulty, whatever Bungie plans to release prior to launch. As is, I'm still unclear on a lot of details (including whether there is one giant raid at launch or more than one).

Nope. Almost 5 million people played the Beta. Bungie doesn't need to show us anything. Some people might actually want to be surprised when they play the game to discover new stuff on their own.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

--> Fail

Repeat ad nauseam

At that point what's the point? All you're left with is people being frustrated and complaining they can't complete content that requires communication with a draw-of-a-hat team. It's a needless headache that's easily solved, and that's what they're doing. All of this "backlash" will end at some point while the whining about failing will never end.

And people will still try raids with randoms they find online(from message boards and such) and they will still fail and they will still complain. Not having matchmaking changes none of this. It only makes the whole process longer and more annoying.

I really think the option should be there for matchmaking. Maybe a rating system should be in place so that you can team up with quality players who are reliable in Raids.

With Halo: ODST FireFight I was able to get groups together via message boards for the first couple of months but after that people started losing interest and moving on to other games. A matchmaking mode for FireFight would have improved the life of the game greatly. Not everyone is in a close nit Halo Clique that plays these things for months on end on a specific schedule.

I fear the same problems with Destiny.

jaosobno

There you go

Also who is he:

OK, haven't seen that post. I guess that solves a part of the problem. Getting 5 people together is probably impossible for me (or something I will be able to do, perhaps once every few months) so I guess raids are not for someone like me.

Too bad. I really fail to see why Bungie decided against even giving random groups a chance. I played MMOs before and I've managed to do wonders with PUGs. Yeah, sometimes we failed miserably but other times, we had a blast and managed to complete entire dungeons.

Giving players a choice is never a bad thing, Bungie.

Yibby

. I think what bungie really needs to do is if they want to create a barrier to entry then do it with in game mechanics. Require a specific gear level, or some type of checklist that ensures a certain level of dedication to the game.

That's cool, like a hard solo/Group quest or something like "you have to complete every strike on hard first".

GECK

As a general response to this "it should just be optional" argument: If Bungie can predict that PUGs will fail the vast majority of times due to their inherent lack of coordination, then it makes sense for them to just not do it at all. Otherwise, come launch, due to the excessive fail rate, people would then just complain that the matchmaking system sucks or is broken, or that the raid is too hard, because if it cant be completed by a half decent matchmaking group, then that whole mode is broken bullshit. Meanwhile all the people serious about finishing the raid will just find a clan and ignore the matchmaking system entirely, thus draining more talent out of it and leaving it a wasteland of poor souls doomed to forever fail.

Read the Bungie forums. It's already spammed with posts about how everything is broken and sucks. Better cancel game!

So the crux of your argument is that random raid matchmaking will drain talent pool. After you claim everyone who partakes will fail miserably. That makes a ton of sense. Especially when nearly 5 million played the beta.

So thats the reason. They aren't just going "no fun for you!" they are really picking the simpler and logical rout. No random chaotic pugs for a mode that by design needs tight teamwork. Whats the point of building and supporting a system that won't work to begin with?

Except real world evidence points to it WORKING in other MMOs with likely more complicated content. Not attempting something that has proven to work in the past because you think it might not work is self defeating and not logical at all.

Plus, and this is important too, raiding is its own mode. . Raiding is its own thing, made specifically for clans. .

Ah, so you're one of those hardcore raiding elitist, now it make sense.

jaosobno

I still fail to see the logic behind "PUGs will fail" mentality.

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason behind such a decision. The only thing I see is that a very large part of the player base will be barred from a certain aspect of the game and that is never a good thing.

Even if PUG failure rate is 100%, so what? Let people have fun and try all aspects of Destiny. Those that take this part of the game seriously, they will join clans/guilds and they'll raid like pros. The rest of us are going to have fun with PUGs and some of us just might finish a raid or two.

Homeboyd

Luke pretty much already said there would be checkpoints in the ign video... That part shouldn't be news. I'm curious if you have to team up with the same group when you decide to pick it back up later or if you can bring in subs. Obviously the subs would've missed out on the earlier loot so it seems fair, and if you were the one that missed out on finishing the raid with your original group, you'd have the option to find a new group to finish your run.

Static Jak

Completely agree. It's shocking how backwards the social aspects of Destiny are compared to most modern online games.

The tower would be a perfect place to interact, chat up randoms and see who's down to raid. Hell... why not have a specific "vendor" or area that one go to see when they want to find people to raid? You could find people there and initiate raiding parties etc.

Or the tower could remain a facade for a simple options and store menu as it currently is. If the tower remains as it was in Alpha/Beta i'd much rather have it relegated to my menu screen with simple store/crucible/vanguard options etc.

The worst way I can explain the Tower is that it's the equivalent of Playstation Home with even less social interaction or options. Go there, get your cutscene or buy your crap and get out.

It should be a Social Hub! It's where you should go to interact with other players, meet new friends, set up Fireteams for Crucible, Strikes, Raids and so on.

You should be able to chat with players in the Crucible, actually communicate with the team you're playing with for gods sake. This is going to be critical in something lie The Iron Banner when people start getting decent gear.

Yeah there's going to be "trolls" every now and again but Bungie, instead of adding ways to filter out those players by giving us Mute options, the option to disable hearing chat completely for some alone game time and so on, are just going way too heavy handed and removing the feature. A basic, fundamental feature of all MP games.

Right now we're a bunch of mimes waving and dancing at each other desperate to actually interact with each in what is meant to be a social game without social features.

The worst way I can explain the Tower is that it's the equivalent of Playstation Home with even less social interaction or options. Go there, get your cutscene or buy your crap and get out.

It should be a Social Hub! It's where you should go to interact with other players, meet new friends, set up Fireteams for Crucible, Strikes, Raids and so on.

You should be able to chat with players in the Crucible, actually communicate with the team you're playing with for gods sake. This is going to be critical in something lie The Iron Banner when people start getting decent gear.

Yeah there's going to be "trolls" every now and again but Bungie, instead of adding ways to filter out those players by giving us Mute options, the option to disable hearing chat completely for some alone game time and so on, are just going way too heavy handed and removing the feature. A basic, fundamental feature of all MP games.

Right now we're a bunch of mimes waving and dancing at each other desperate to actually interact with each in what is meant to be a social game without social features.

EXACTLY! This is what i always envisioned The Tower being when Destiny was still just description and concept art. If it doesn't change it's a complete lost opportunity. It really is pretty pointless. The more I play and see of Destiny the more concerned I am with it. Dont get me wrong! I enjoyed the hell out of the Alpha and Beta; however, i personally see so much missed opportunity and potential that doesn't appear to be in the works.

This is essentially forcing manual matchmaking on people... There has to be a better way to communicate to players the difficulty of the task then just putting up artificial hoops to jump through.

T.O.P

Banned

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif

Static Jak

This is essentially forcing manual matchmaking on people.
Yeah, that's exactly what it is. You go to any Destiny forum on any site right now and it's a bunch of people posting their PSN ID or Gamertag to join up with other completely random forum users to play Raids in the future.
No different from MM with randoms outside of being much more of a chore.

ultron87

--> Fail

Repeat ad nauseam

They'll probably get even more complaining from this decision. Now, instead of people trying a thing and failing, people can't even try it at all unless they have friends or utilize structures outside the game. This is infinitely more frustrating. Especially when it seems like a relatively trivial feature to enable.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. You go to any Destiny forum on any site right now and it's a bunch of people posting their PSN ID or Gamertag to join up with other completely random forum users to play Raids in the future.
Yeah I noticed that, maybe someone should start up the OFFICIAL DESTINY RAID MANUAL MATCHMAKING thread...

It's inherently different in that having those other Destiny players on your Friends list makes you more likely to ask them to join you while you're playing the earlier parts of the game. Thus generating playing relationships, getting to know each others playstyles, etc..

This is exactly how groups are created and with all the social features integrated in MMORPGS, most Guilds still use websites to recruit and manage players and social notification of activities and things outside the game.

In-game tools would be a welcomed addition but websites as recruitment and information tools are still used by every top Guild in every MMO.

MADGAME

Try soloing Devil Walker in Devils' Lair strike on Hard solo, it takes a goddamn eternity!
Sooner or later enemies stop dropping necessities needed and you run out of ammo...

I really hope they can keep a mission fun and interesting for a couple hours. Clearing trash is not fun. Neither are bullet sponge bosses where the biggest danger is running out of ammo.

Running out of ammo was never an issue for me as the gunsmith sells ammo reloads. I wouldn't attempt a strike (and probably raid) without several spare clips. I rarely needed them in strike myself, but they were handy in case a player dropped out.

good choice!

just imagine playing a raid with random matchmaking, one of the people suddenly drops out as he/she lost interest or has to do something else
no fun at all

erawsd

I'm ok with the game not throwing 6 random people together.

However, there should be a matchmaking interface that allows people to easily build their own raid groups without relying on a friends list or websites outside of the game. Someone should be able to flag themselves for a Raid, and the game could provide a breakdown of that character with details like mic status, experience, gear, ect. This way, you have someone assuming the lead role in the raid and they are able to make informed decisions about the people they are bringing with them.

Searched "Leroy Jenkins"

13 responses

GAF did not disappoint me

Would it be too much to add the Leroy Jenkins vid to OP to explain why you wouldn't want randoms on your team. Even 1 could fuck up the mission.

Trickster

Reading this thread it's so clear that many many people have no concept of what a raid is supposed to be. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise seeing as it seems a lot of people who want to play Destiny, have never touched mmo's before.

But look. If you are under the impression that a raid is something you just go do because you can get 6 people together at the spur of the moment, you are in all likelyhood wrong. If it's anything like mmo raids, then it's gonna require planning, it's gonna require gear, it's gonna require good players that can work together, it's gonna require tactics, it's gonna require a group of players than can dedicate at least 2-3 hours, without the need for a break every 10 minutes because someone needed to go to something else for a few minutes.

I get that people want to try to the raid. But if you want to try the raid, I think you need to understand and accept that raids are not some small "go have some casual fun for 30 minutes to an hour", like you can with all the other things in Destiny.

jaosobno

Would it be too much to add the Leroy Jenkins vid to OP to explain why you wouldn't want randoms on your team. Even 1 could fuck up the mission.

Leroy wasn't a random, he was a guild member and that was an organized raid. So I guess you just proved that organized groups fail miserably too.

Fuck it, just cut the raids from the game all together, Bungie, because:

aqyyh.jpg

Jito

Banned
Searched "Leroy Jenkins"

13 responses

GAF did not disappoint me

But Leroy was part of the guild wasn't he? So even with guild players or friends it can still go wrong.

MADGAME

I keep seeing comments regarding randoms dropping out, as if being in a group established outside of matchmaking exempts one from life's unexpected callings.

A group who schedules time to play may be less likely to have distractions or obligations that will force them away or to drop, but it doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

Nodnol

I am fine with this, because I'm lucky enough to have 5+ friends that will be jumping in board with Destiny.

What is weird though, is stipulating this, and yet Fireteams are limited to 3 players. If balance is the issue, then consider scaling things accordingly beyond 1-3 players.

Regularly, myself and atleast 4 others play online in a party, currently fleeting between titles, but all the whole communicating with each other. As Destiny currently stands, half of us will be isolated to one Fireteam, the other half to another, with no real way to talk to each other thanks to the archaic chat options.

I get the complaints about communication at the hub, because you know, it's a HUB. That said, I know what the online community can be like. Let me look at a person and mute them quickly if need be, or give us a meeting point at The Tower to join a potential Fireteam. Anyone wanting to do activity A, B or C, meet at point X,Y,Z etc.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Beta and can't wait to jump in, but there definitely needs to be a tweak to the player to player interaction.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
"Leroy" wasn't even real. Totally staged video. The fact that people keep using this as some sorta example of randoms is embarrassing.

Stupidest reason to list in your reasons of cancelling your pre-order.

Frankly, people who try to justify their pre-order cancellations are the fucking worst.

Thankfully I don't have to justify cancelling my preorder of Destiny as Bungie seems to do it more and more every day. : D

Danis

Neo Member
So, this "1 week to finish the Raid" thing... hows that work exactly?

Do we all have the same 7 days to finish it? Example, Raid servers reset at 12:00amPSD on Saturday, or is it independent... Or do I personally get 7 days from when I personally started the Raid?

That's a big difference. If I can only play Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights because of work/family, and Raids resent Saturday at 12:00am... that's a real big issue.

Trickster

So, this "1 week to finish the Raid" thing... hows that work exactly?

Do we all have the same 7 days to finish it? Example, Raid servers reset at 12:00amPSD on Saturday, or is it independent... Or do I personally get 7 days from when I personally started the Raid?

That's a big difference. If I can only play Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights because of work/family, and Raids resent Saturday at 12:00am... that's a real big issue.

Normally raids reset at a specific time during each week, doesn't matter when you start it. Not sure why that's a big issue though

jaosobno

Hasn't it occurred to naysayers that there could be experienced players in PUGs, leading the less experienced ones and warning them about certain dangers?

This was my experience in some MMOs, I would team up with randoms and if there was only a single person with experience, many times we've managed to complete entire runs without any bigger problems. Experienced player would warn us about dangers and the rest of us would learn.

Of course, now we get to the problem of fireteams not being able to communicate, unless the members are on your friends list.

So many poor design decisions.

Danis

Neo Member
Normally raids reset at a specific time during each week, doesn't matter when you start it. Not sure why that's a big issue though

It's an issue if the reset time is on the weekend. Prime example, myself and my wife, along with all our gaming friends have jobs and families. We can only play Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. If Raids reset 12:00 Saturday night, then that cuts down our three nights to complete a Raid to two nights.

I understand that you and many others can game whenever the heck you want, but there are individuals that actually have to set a schedule and times to play, or they can't play at all due to life's responsibilities.

I'm not expecting it to interfere with my schedule (Friday-Sunday nights), but I know it will screw someone over. It's unfortunate, but I guess if it's going to be a set schedule, it's an inevitability.

Top Bottom