• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third disappears from "Future Releases" section on North American Wii U eShop

Don't worry, Reggie will give a statement about how he knows you want it, but unfortunately he doesn't have anything to declare about it at this moment.
And in the meantime he will recommend Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival and Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games for the core gamers this year.

This stings for two reasons:

1. The game was announced in America last summer. We were literally the first region that received word on this game's existence on Wii U. It was announced on IGN right after the 2014 Digital Event. Itagaki was there. Reggie was there.

2. NoA delayed Yoshi's Wooly Word until October. It's very likely that EU and Japan will receive two first party titles (Yoshi and Devi's Third) this summer, while NA receives nothing.

This is embarrassing. I sincerely have lost all hope in NoA's ability to satisfy its customer base.

It's definitely not canned, if you talk about ceasing development. Japan had new footage, developer interview and release date. Europe got meaty press-release and release date.

I don't think anyone is thinking it's canned. It has a relatively recent release date in Japan and Europe. The question is all NA at this point.
Yeah I realize that now. Didn't know Europe had a date before I made that post.

This is weird though.

Shauni

I'm guessing NoA don't see it worthy of their money given their overhead and potential sales, which is really sad.

Their internal forecasts for the game probably didn't justify the expense of them releasing it and marketing it. But I'd rather it got a quiet release like one from NoE than no release at all from them. It going to another publisher, like The Last Story did, is probably the most likely outcome.

Rob Fahey summed it up best in an article about marketing and videogames. While his message was about independent developers, there were a couple of paragraphs on the reality of big publishers marketing bigger videogames.

Yeah, but this is contradictory to the fact that they are releasing it in Japan and Europe, I would think.

Did any game journalist at E3 have the cojones to ask Reggie wtf happened to this game and when it was going to be released? I think a lot of GAF and many western journalist care very little about this game, but I am all for trying this game out even with all of its faults and quirks.

I don't know, some guy was going on about a tumblr blog where some chick was saying NOA was refusing to talk about it or something, but as far as I can recall, she had not proof and was just speculating like everyone else. I don't know if anyone actually asked about it or not.

DooMAGE

There is a way to we ask why directly to Nintendo?
I mean, they can't just remove the game and don't make a official statement...

Guys? ;/

L Thammy

On the other hand, maybe whoever is actually publishing this game will actually turn out to have competent marketing and won't just kick this game out the door.

Let's not drag Star Fox Zero into this! That game looks to have some issues, but I still want it badly. Don't give NoA any more ideas. They'll probably read this thread and cancel the release.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
First no disc release for Fatal Frame and now this? Goddamnit, NoA... At least I can play Yoshi this summer as a consolation... Oh no, I can't either. :(

DAMN IT REGGIE

skYOFwB.gif

Yeah, but this is contradictory to the fact that they are releasing it in Japan and Europe, I would think.

I don't think so. NoA has always had more autonomy than NoE, NoE now really being an extension of NCL in terms of how it follows orders from Japan. New 3DS and cover plates are a fine example of this, as in general you could consider NoE to take a more conservative approach to most things coming out of NCL.

NoA decided not to publish Xenoblade and The Last Story for similar reasons. They have high overhead and a lot of first party games to publish this year -- they are simply putting their resources to their best uses from a pure efficiency standpoint in terms of returns from sales and marketing money.

I wouldn't worry either way, if anyone is. NoA is likely aware of the long term consequences to not publishing the game at all in North America (think the negative effects Xenoblade and The Last Story had last gen), so they've probably already sorted something out and passed it on to a smaller publisher. It's just that it isn't ready to be announced officially.

I'm fine with that. For a game with likely low sales projections and far less mass market appeal than the rest of Nintendo's lineup, it's more efficient for it to be handled by a smaller publisher with less overhead, than Nintendo of America who is far larger in size. The resources NoA would use in getting Devil's Third out the door are freed to work on a title that would give them higher returns.

Shauni

So, just to clear, I'm pretty sure the digital-only release for Fatal Frame hasn't been confirmed for those mentioning it. I may be mistaken, but at this point it's speculation and nothing official has been announced unless I missed it.

I don't think so. NoA has always had more autonomy than NoE, NoE now really being an extension of NCL in terms of how it follows orders from Japan (New 3DS and cover plates are a fine example of this).

NoA decided not to publish Xenoblade and The Last Story for similar reasons. They have high overhead and a lot of first party games to publish this year -- they are simply putting their resources to their best uses from a pure efficiency standpoint in terms of returns from sales and marketing money.

I wouldn't worry either way, if anyone is. NoA is likely aware of the long term consequences to not publishing the game at all in North America (think the negative effects Xenoblade and The Last Story had last gen), so they've probably already sorted something out and passed it on to a smaller publisher. It's just that it isn't ready to be announced officially.

I'm fine with that. For a game with likely low sales projections and far less mass market appeal than the rest of Nintendo's lineup, it's more efficient for it to be handled by a smaller publisher with less overhead, than Nintendo of America who is far larger in size. The resources NoA would use in getting Devil's Third out the door are freed to work on a title that would give them higher returns.

You may very well be right and it honestly would make sense, but as usual, NoA's silence is deafening. It wouldn't take more than 30 seconds for Nintendo to post something on their Facebook or Twitter account, assuring fans the game is still being released in America.

So, just to clear, I'm pretty sure the digital-only release for Fatal Frame hasn't been confirmed for those mentioning it. I may be mistaken, but at this point it's speculation and nothing official has been announced unless I missed it.

Yeah, it's still speculation. It seems pretty likely though.

Pizza

Repost from the "so what's going on with Devil's Third in north America?" Thread

Pizza said:
NoA is horse shit.

[...] Just let NoA get eaten by NoE or something. Their advertising rules, and they seem pretty straightforward with shit.

NoA is the Texas-dairy-queen of Nintendo.

Dairy queen will do all sorts of promotions but the *Texas* dairy queen people went out of their way to get their own advertising and shit so they could make awful "this is the stop sign of Texas" commercials and... Not do anything else.

Jurassic park blizzard cups? Nope, Texas dairy queens didn't order those. You see them advertised but no stores actually ordered any. $5 lunch special all week? Yeah not in Texas.

Cool amiibo? No stock *and* retailer exclusives. Games coming out? Yeah let's just delay them because reasons. no one here wants yoshi right? hey look devil's third! What? what's devil's third Europe has a release date well let's just not mention it

Ha ha mother three what a great joke let's give them mother 1 and then /shrug

I hope the game comes stateside, NoA seems sort of lost these days.

Pikma

Banned
NoA is a fucking piece of shit, and NCL too for allowing such a stupid thing to happen.

These fuckers deserve nothing but failure and if they don't bring this I will stop buying Nintendo first party games. I'd rather fucking import everything or not play them at all.

Shauni

Repost from the "so what's going on with Devil's Third in north America?" Thread

I hope the game comes stateside, NoA seems sort of lost these days.

What...in the world is all this? I have absolutely no idea what 3/4 of this statement is talking about.

Moze

Banned
It's a shame that the guy who released what many consider to be the best game of all time just 10 years ago is struggling to release a game at all.

duckroll

Itagaki said he will do it

Hey remember when you said "give it a few hours"??????

:)

Not at all. Same thing happened last generation with a number of games on the Wii. Released in Japan, released in Europe, fully localized. NoA wasn't interested. If not for XSEED, there wouldn't even have been a release for The Last Story either. This is the same shit since day 1.

You may very well be right and it honestly would make sense, but as usual, NoA's silence is deafening. It wouldn't take more than 30 seconds for Nintendo to post something on their Facebook or Twitter account, assuring fans the game is still being released in America.

Yes! One of the things NoA (and NoE) get wrong is how they fail to communicate things like this across to both the press and their fans.

It just causes everyone to second guess, and guessing Nintendo is a mug's game. Cue a bunch of negative articles about whatever the problem was, which could have easily been sidestepped.

I miss the days when Nintendo was more open to the press, when bosses were able to talk more openly about things, when Nintendo of Europe had Jim Merrick. The interviews with Reggie and Jim Merrick in the run up to DS's launch are fascinating to read ten years on.

Wow, well I guess it's time for another Publisher to hopefully release it.

NoA never ceases to amaze me with not bringing games over.

Edit: Should be NoA ceases to amaze me with their unwillingness to Publish a game on Wii U for the next 3 months.

Jobbs

Banned
I sympathize with anyone who cares about this game, but speaking for myself I'm not able to care for it at all. It looks pretty much absolutely horrendous in every single way it can be horrendous. This is probably why Nintendo wants less to do with it.

My guess is that you're dumb.

Real nice.

Hahaha. NOA keeps delivering I see. I seriously wonder if this company isnt just trying to shoot themselves in the foot.

I mean, Wii U has so much titles coming this summer in America. I'm sure there was no time to release this game, even eShop only.

If someone else published the game in NA does that mean they'd have to foot the bill for the servers?

This game looks like such crazy stupid fun, but I guess people aren't into that sort of thing anymore.

tebunker

Banned
Odds are the game is still coming.

I am willing to bet that NoA was forced to choose between Fatal Frame or this to bring over and use their marketing budget on this year.

Which sucks because the right answer should have been both.

It is what it is. However I am reminded constantly how much I don't like NoAs General practices and Nintendo's structure in general.

It seriously casts shade on them and I just don't feel like supporting their model anymore.

Top Bottom