• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Complete Gamescom Xbox One X Rise of the Tomb Raider analysis

belvedere

Junior Butler
But if we simply look at how much better it is on One X than Pro, maybe I kinda expected more. Unless I got this completely wrong, the game was Checkerboard 4K on Pro wasn't it? So the biggest and most noticeable difference mostly are the higher res textures? Or is there no enriched 4K mode on Pro at all? Because that would be quite a difference indeed.

There's an enriched mode on PS4 Pro too but its limited to 1080p. The main difference is clearly the texture detail, but in motion I wonder just how much this will be noticeable when not taking a magnifying glass to a still shot in very specific circumstances.

What I really want to know is how many developers will be including higher resolution texture assets? Are they always readily available? Would a developer like EA put in the effort to include them?

Also, every time I enter one of these threads I'm reminded of the gathering of the fellowship scene in The Fellowship of the Ring where everyone is arguing.

Space_nut

Games next year will look even better :) devs only had dev kits for a few months. Can't wait to see the next Tomb Raider using more out of the Xbox One X

Syrus

Banned
But if we simply look at how much better it is on One X than Pro, maybe I kinda expected more. Unless I got this completely wrong, the game was Checkerboard 4K on Pro wasn't it? So the biggest and most noticeable difference mostly are the higher res textures? Or is there no enriched 4K mode on Pro at all? Because that would be quite a difference indeed.

Pro enriched 1080p with good texture

Xbox x enriched 4k CBish with top textures

Id say thats a bit better.

thelastword

Banned
So you are fine with sticking with the element which is most likely to change in the final code (the framerate), but won't do it with the texture work, which is more likely to stay the same?
That doesn't seem logical or consistent.
Anything can change in the final code even textures, but we can expect textures to remain intact on XBONEX why? because of the amount of memory it has.

Generally, most games don't do a complete 360 in framerate from problematic framerates and tearing to rock solid framerate with vsync engaged. Check it out, it is what it is. What makes it worse and non-ordinary is that certain effects are missing in the current code, effects which would no doubt impact framerate further if they were added. Now tell me Brother Seth, am I being unfair in my logic here?

The takeaway is this, if we get a locked 30fps at 4k native with all effects engaged, that would be great. However, going from sub 30fps with tearing and missing effects to correcting all that and providing a locked 30fps is not common in this industry. I'd say some compromises would have to be made to get a lcoked 30fps...or framerate will still be an issue with final code....

Having said all that though, this is Nixxes and I have been one of their biggest supporters on here, so if they hit this out the park, that'd be splendid.

KageMaru

Anything can change in the final code even textures, but we can expect textures to remain intact on XBONEX why? because of the amount of memory it has.

Generally, most games don't do a complete 360 in framerate from problematic framerates and tearing to rock solid framerate with vsync engaged. Check it out, it is what it is. What makes it worse and non-ordinary is that certain effects are missing in the current code, effects which would no doubt impact framerate further if they were added. Now tell me Brother Seth, am I being unfair in my logic here?

The takeaway is this, if we get a locked 30fps at 4k native with all effects engaged, that would be great. However, going from sub 30fps with tearing and missing effects to correcting all that and providing a locked 30fps is not common in this industry. I'd say some compromises would have to be made to get a lcoked 30fps...or framerate will still be an issue with final code....

Having said all that though, this is Nixxes and I have been one of their biggest supporters on here, so if they hit this out the park, that'd be splendid.

There have actually been plenty of examples this gen of slight dips being ironed out at launch. Also yes, we should expect the texture quality to stay this high. If texture resolution would have been a problem, they would have run into that issue by now. This post makes no sense whatsoever.

Colbert

Banned
The PS4 version has everything
but the X1X version should be complete if re-released.

The Xbox One Version already has every DLC. The Xbox One X versions gets a patch for the new game modes (Normal 2160p/30, Enriched 2160c/30 & Performance 1080p/60)

You're...you're still trying? Jesus Christ.

onQ123

My conclusion is that at the moment the extra memory benefits is straight forward but the GPU/CPU performance need just as much optimizing & compromises as the game needed on PS4 Pro.
All things considered you would think that patching this game for Xbox One X in 2017 would come a lot easier than porting to PS4/PS4 Pro in 2016 so the missing effects that was already in the game on Xbox One in 2015 is pretty odd even for a demo.

scently

My conclusion is that at the moment the extra memory benefits is straight forward but the GPU/CPU performance need just as much optimizing & compromises as the game needed on PS4 Pro.
All things considered you would think that patching this game for Xbox One X in 2017 would come a lot easier than porting to PS4/PS4 Pro in 2016 so the missing effects that was already in the game on Xbox One in 2015 is pretty odd even for a demo.

The PS4Pro version had missing fire effects when it was initially demoed but it was present in the released version so I wouldn't draw any conclusions yet.

onQ123

The PS4Pro version had missing fire effects when it was initially demoed but it was present in the released version so I wouldn't draw any conclusions yet.

I'm sure the effects will also be in the final patch in fact I'm sure of it, I'm just saying that the upgrade from Xbox One to Xbox One X isn't as straight forward as it would seem I already knew PS4 to PS4 Pro wasn't straight forward.

Colbert

Banned
Interesting tidbit. The Xbox One X version we currently use as a base for all the comparisons is alpha code!

onQ123

Interesting tidbit. The Xbox One X version we currently use as a base for all the comparisons is alpha code!

Can it truly be alpha code when the game was already completed 2 years ago on the base hardware? (Joking if you're not able to tell)

Colbert

Banned
Can it truly be alpha code when the game was already completed 2 years ago on the base hardware?

This is what the Dev said. Its alpha for the version they made for the Xbox One X. Which means there are 2 more quality assurance stages until release (alpha -> beta and beta -> release candidate) where bugs got fixed, further optimizations put in or DoF is added again.

It definitely looks great but it's too bad the game doesn't look clean as hell. Clean as how Gears 4 and Uncharted 4 for example look. With that I mean no rough edges/aliasing, everything crisp as can be really. But that's just the game. I'm sure we'll still have the bad aliasing on trees in the later parts as well.

onQ123

This is what the Dev said. Its alpha for the version they made for the Xbox One X. Which means there are 2 more quality assurance stages until release (alpha -> beta and beta -> release candidate) where bugs got fixed, further optimizations put in or DoF is added again.

I was just kidding around

It definitely looks great but it's too bad the game doesn't look clean as hell. Clean as how Gears 4 and Uncharted 4 for example look. With that I mean no rough edges/aliasing, everything crisp as can be really. But that's just the game. I'm sure we'll still have the bad aliasing on trees in the later parts as well.

Uncharted & Gears of War 4 have more of a Game/CGI look so the clean look don't seem out of place with them but ROTTR seems to be going for a more real life look so it's best that it's not too clean. (I'm aware that ROTTR don't actually look real)

BigBoss

Uncharted & Gears of War 4 have more of a Game/CGI look so the clean look don't seem out of place with them but ROTTR seems to be going for a more real life look so it's best that it's not too clean. (I'm aware that ROTTR don't actually look real)

Last time I checked real life doesn't have jaggies.

onQ123

Last time I checked real life doesn't have jaggies.

MI0003879798.jpg

Top Bottom