• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Complete Gamescom Xbox One X Rise of the Tomb Raider analysis

thelastword

Banned
Reflections are also missing but I think it's more of them making sure the game performed good for the press & they will probably put it back in & optimize everything before release
Really? and it drops to 21fps in cutscenes and mid 20's in the 4k mode with tearing, without DOF et al?

FWIW, the high framerate mode on PS4 does not tear, but the high framerate mode on XBONEX does tear when the GPU is overbudget. If the Pro version did tear, that would improve it's average framerate in performance mode too.

c0de

I'm looking forward to what they will deliver when the work on this port is finished. It covers many different ways for what Scorpio games will provide in the future, combined into one game.

Really? and it drops to 21fps in cutscenes and mid 20's in the 4k mode with tearing, without DOF et al?

FWIW, the high framerate mode on PS4 does not tear, but the high framerate mode on XBONEX does tear when the GPU is overbudget. If the Pro version did tear, that would improve it's average framerate in performance mode too.

LOL breh. They said the XOneX enhanced mode is the definitive experience on console. Keep downplaying if you want.

I'm looking forward to what they will deliver when the work on this port is finished. It covers many different ways for what Scorpio games will provide in the future, combined into one game.

This. It sets an example to follow with various options for players to choose too, regardless if you have a XB1X or Pro. I'm just in doubt that developers will bother to do so much work with other titles.

c0de

Brutal:

screenshot_2017-09-28ynsn5.png

is thelastword a joke character?

No. He lives for two strict life rules:

1. Never ever accept Xbox branded hardware to be better at anything branded PlayStation.
2. Pull down the Forza brand at every single tiny aspect.

He wishes to achieve full and total Sony-karma by doing this. So no, it's far from a joke.

RedRum

Banned
There's so much downplay in this thread that gravity has shifted and its weighing me down. I really hope DF keeps up the work with getting us as much X coverage as possible.

MilkyJoe

The next few years are going to be very difficult for you, old chum.

onQ123

Optimizing usually happen up to the last minute & sometimes after release so it's too soon to make judgment but it seem like effects are being lowered or removed on some Xbox One X games right now for whatever reason , I'm not sure if I have seen them take this approach on PS4 Pro I only remember a few dropped frames vs PS4 in some games when rendering at a higher resolution.

onQ123

You made sure you watched the video, right?
As the one image might be misleading, here is an example of Pro vs PC which is using the same textures as Xbox One X:

screenshotat2017-09-26ns4b.png

It's definitely not just DOF.

I know Xbox One X has higher level of textures but that blurriness on the close up objects on PS4 Pro is the depth of field effect you can even see that the objects closer to her look better than the object in the foreground.

onQ123

They address it in the video, by adding and removing DoF to the PC version at the same detail level used on the X1. Not just DoF was the conclusion.

Of course it's not just DoF we already know that Xbox One X has the higher textures but it's the DoF that blurs the objects in the foreground in that shot that was posted.

belmonkey

Pretty confident they’ve turned DOF off to better highlight 4K for the press.

Doesn't DOF have a non-insignificant impact to performance? Sounds like it might be an issue if there have already been some performance dips.

Edit: Maybe not too much:
rise-of-the-tomb-raider-depth-of-field-performance.png

c0de

Of course it's not just DoF we already know that Xbox One X has the higher textures but it's the DoF that blurs the objects in the foreground in that shot that was posted.

Therefore I posted the image from PC with the same DOF enabled which has the same textures as the Xbox One X.

BrotherSeth

Neo Member
Seems like a pretty solid upgrade from the Pro. Hope others will support the One X this well.

Seems to be on point with MS messaging. 1080 titles from X1 will scale to 4K no sweat, 900P to 4K will require some optimization work. Here we MIGHT get a flawless 900 to 4K (if they optimize further) and they even found room for added detail = highter texture.
Good thing MS doesn't force them to go 4K though, as the best choice, and DF agrees, is the enhanced mode.

KageMaru

The point that you're missing is it's not just the DoF that is blurring the textures. Lower resolution textures are also one of the reasons they look blurry in comparison. Not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Reflections are also missing but I think it's more of them making sure the game performed good for the press & they will probably put it back in & optimize everything before release

it's not the same because part of the rendering pipeline is done at full 4K resolution like the depth buffer & some effects

Not reflections in general, a single scene, and on PC there's a bug that the reflection disappears during the cutscene. So there are other reasons as to why it wasn't showing on xbonex.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I hope they release a downloadable playable demo on the launch of the XB1X, would be a great way to showcase what's to come, not to mention drive some additional sales.

Carlius

Banned
Why is this game used as a benchmark? Its not a good looking game. Serious question. Its iptimzed well on pc but its not a looker.

Did we get more clarity on what people in the previous thread were going buckwild about?

Why is this game used as a benchmark? Its not a good looking game. Serious question. Its iptimzed well on pc but its not a looker.

I would say it's a mixed bag. The starting area, the linear part on the snow mountain looks fantastic if you ask me. Syria as well especially from where you start and then into the caves/mountain. But the more open hub area really isn't all that great looking no.

c0de

Saying something isn't good looking is subjective but the game can generate a great demand even on PC so it is still a good thing to compare the different systems, especially a comparison with the Pro.

KageMaru

Outside of the poor AA options, I'm not sure how anyone could think this game doesn't look great. It fits very well as a Benchmark title. Besides, it's not like we have a plethora of 3rd party titles to compare at the moment.

Did we get more clarity on what people in the previous thread were going buckwild about?

Yeah they addressed the dirty textures that were missing in the last comparison.

Syrus

Banned

....thats the NATIVE mode. Which the PRO does not and could not offer

The enriched mode lookee better and performed better

Bazookaxp

Never said it was just the DoF I was just pointing out that it was meant to be blurred because of the DoF.

DOF is maybe 15% of the blur you are seeing there. It is 85% worse textures. All these numbers came from the tooth fairy. The point is DOF is not why their is a dramatic difference.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Like someone else mentioned earlier, it's simply that the XB1X isn't even out yet and there isn't much choice at the moment to compare with.

Not even the enhancements are complete yet, but it is worthwhile to compare to get a taste of what to expect.

EvB

Doesn't DOF have a non-insignificant impact to performance? Sounds like it might be an issue if there have already been some performance dips.

That demo is only st 1080p, expect that difference to be larger at 4K

thelastword

Banned
Optimizing usually happen up to the last minute & sometimes after release so it's too soon to make judgment but it seem like effects are being lowered or removed on some Xbox One X games right now for whatever reason , I'm not sure if I have seen them take this approach on PS4 Pro I only remember a few dropped frames vs PS4 in some games when rendering at a higher resolution.
I have nothing but utmost respect in Nixxes's capability, but if so many graphical features are missing and the framerate and tearing is still pretty bad, I'm not sure everything will be completely ironed out by launch...As it stands, we re only judging what's before us now, not what we expect later, as that may not necessarily materialize...

Console pipelines are different, especially the higher resolution you go. CPU/GPU/MEM all share the bandwidth for the most part.....If DOF is off and the perf is still sub 30fps with tearing, you can be sure that with it on and those missing reflections on, framerate would be even worse.

....thats the NATIVE mode. Which the PRO does not and could not offer

The enriched mode lookee better and performed better
I don't think that's the point, the point is, XBONEX's 4k mode is dropping frames. So you would rather the XB version drop frames, tear and miss out on some graphical effects at the expense of 4k native?

Besides, DOF missing makes the XBONEX version look a bit sharper in stills and zoom-ups, but looking at this video, overall CB 4k looks very sharp next to native even without DOF on....

onQ123

DOF is maybe 15% of the blur you are seeing there. It is 85% worse textures. All these numbers came from the tooth fairy. The point is DOF is not why their is a dramatic difference.

DoF is doing it's job that was meant to be blurred to bring Lara out more even when the objects are closer to the imaginary lens. The textures are better on Xbox One X but the objects in that shot was meant to be blurred to make Lara the focal point

YsEul1M.png

VN1koN4.png

KageMaru

DoF is doing it's job that was meant to be blurred to bring Lara out more even when the objects are closer to the imaginary lens. The textures are better on Xbox One X but the objects in that shot was meant to be blurred to make Lara the focal point

YsEul1M.png

VN1koN4.png

Do you not read the posts you're replying to? We don't need a lesson on what DoF is. We know the effect is adding a layer of blur, but we are able to see past that and comment on the resolution of the textures themselves. Between you and thelastword, it's like talking to two walls that repeat the same drivel even though everyone else is pointing to something else.

But if we simply look at how much better it is on One X than Pro, maybe I kinda expected more. Unless I got this completely wrong, the game was Checkerboard 4K on Pro wasn't it? So the biggest and most noticeable difference mostly are the higher res textures? Or is there no enriched 4K mode on Pro at all? Because that would be quite a difference indeed.

Top Bottom