• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF on Zelda Switch: Docked has major frame drops, portable doesn't (no score talk)

Conduit

Banned
Yeah, I concur with the findings. It really feels pretty bad at times - within the first few minutes you're already running into massive 20fps dips that just feel really bad. Combine that with the low resolution and, well, the presentation feels kinda meh.

It does look great in handheld mode, however.

The current best looking Switch game is most certainly Fast RMX, though.

Dark, some Wii U version test soon?

You guys excusing this crap and saying it's because it's a handheld really need to stop. This system should function well in both modes as it's a hybrid system otherwise they wouldn't advertise it that way and it wouldn't work that way. I'd be upset if all the "switching" that you're able to do with this game was hampered by it running worse when it's docked.

Exactly. It's not like they designed the game, finalized the engine and everything then were told, "btw, this needs to run on a hybrid console" at the last hour. They made this game with the Switch in mind. It's inexcusable.

jariw

Yeah, I concur with the findings. It really feels pretty bad at times - within the first few minutes you're already running into massive 20fps dips that just feel really bad. Combine that with the low resolution and, well, the presentation feels kinda meh.

And what about the claim that the drops mainly are on the Great Plateau?

Games like Bloodborne or the Witcher got massive framerate drops and I don't really see such a big talk about it.

You must have never visited threads for those games then. I saw tons of posts commenting on the performance of both games. I mean, pretty much every BB thread that pops up has someone mentioning the frame-pacing within a few posts.

And BB is a pretty solid 30fps, btw.

I assume y'all are gonna do a technical pass through the launch games?

Curious how setsuna compared with ps4 and pc.

Yes, please I am Setsuna. It's a Unity game with a 60fps target even struggeling on the PS4. Curious to see what the Switch version has to offer docked or portable. Would love to see Fast RMX aswell.

TheFuzz

You must have never visited threads for those games then. I saw tons of posts commenting on the performance of both games. I mean, pretty much every BB thread that pops up has someone mentioning the frame-pacing within a few posts.

And BB is a pretty solid 30fps, btw.

BB is better now but was awful at launch.

jariw

Exactly. It's not like they designed the game, finalized the engine and everything then were told, "btw, this needs to run on a hybrid console" at the last hour. They made this game with the Switch in mind. It's inexcusable.

What are your facts here? Did you follow the GDC footage about BotW at all?

Ferr986

BB is better now but was awful at launch.

No. Bloodborne has always been a pretty solid 30 fps game, it just had terrible framepacing.
And that was never patched. Loading times were patched.

It's Witcher 3 that got a lot of performance patches.

So the Wii U version is the best because you don't have a Switch?

I can see a lot of people are getting up in arms about my comment. The only improvement between the two is slightly more resolution and and slightly higher FPS on the Switch. If this is what you expected out of your brand new console have at it!

I have fully admitted in the past that I have no intentions of ever buying a Switch. The Wii U is the worst console I have ever owned. I think Switch looks like a dozen soon to be unused gimmicks rolled into one barely improved system. Despite this I was still expecting the Switch version of Zelda to run like butter and have many graphical upgrades. It doesn't. You can defend your purchase all you want, and I sincerely hope Switch purchasers love it, but these Zelda comparisons only serve to confirm for me that there is literally no reason to give Nintendo money for another half-baked console.

I will still play the same game as the rest of you(with frame drops galore).

geordiemp

No, that doesn't explain it. I think what's happening is that the devs have kept the hardware profile to use the portable clocks when docked and just upped the resolution to 900p. Why? Who knows but I'm confident they'll be a patch soon to fix this. Maybe during QC they thought the level of performance was okay and didn't bothering debugging with the high clocks. Of course, this is conjecture but very likely to be the case.

If The bandwidth is 25.5 Gb/s, that would probably do it.

Its about GPU clocks and bandwidth / memory clocks / bus size

Dremark

Banned
Games like Bloodborne or the Witcher got massive framerate drops and I don't really see such a big talk about it.

I didn't even follow those games and I still saw a lot of complaints about thier technical performance.

People are sensitive to these things now. It doesn't mean they should lower BotW's score
to an 8.8
but pretty much any game with frame drops will get criticized for it.

Dragner

Man the salt here is something...

10/10 doesnt mean perfection, and a game can be penalized for technical issues. But its not the same a game with 3 good things and framerate issues that a game with 30 good things and framerate issues. Being brave and risk more should be praised over some framerate issues. Reviewers are free to penalize it if they want, but stop the 'they pass it because is Zelda'.

MK8 is getting exactly the resolution bump that's to be expected IF there are no memory bandwidth issues in the way. I don't expect BotW to ever reach a solid 30 in docked mode unless they scale down some effects. Less grass, etc. And I don't think they would do that, because the game having more advanced visuals in handheld mode wouldn't be a good look for them. The other option is to lower the docked resolution to 720p.

They should absolutely lower the rez to 720p...or better yet, make it an option...but sadly I don't think that's too likely.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So did it get worse than when you guys played it at the Nintendo event? I remember you guys had an article that said it was stable 30 fps in docked mode.
Yeah, we captured 30 minutes and it was mostly steady BUT, if you watch that video again, there is one point where it randomly dips to 20fps for a period of time and we were like "Whoa, what is that?"

Those are the types of drops that are happening all over the place. The demo that I played certainly didn't exhibit the issue very often but each session was only 15 minutes soooo...who knows.

Zojirushi

Installing WiiU version right now, kinda expecting to play for an hour and then turn off in disgust and wait for CEMU to be ready. Let's see how it goes.

P.S. that WiiU progress bar is the worst lol.

jariw

Instead of being vague how abut you point out what you noticed in the GDC presentation that makes you believe otherwise.

C524jWKUoAEMzuA.jpg

C526QRcUYAAAIef.jpg

The decision to port it to Switch was very late.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What is frame pacing? Do you mean inconsistent lengths of time displaying each frame?

Basically. Instead of each frame being displayed for exactly two display refreshes (30fps at 60Hz), one might be displayed for 3 while the next is only displayed for 1, etc. The end result is still 30 unique frames per second, but unevenly distributed over that second.

Holy shit. It seems that the resolution bump is really what is causing the drops in frames. Should have just stuck with 720p even in docked so that the frames would be more stable. I cannot wait for the Wii U analysis.

dan2026

Yeah, we captured 30 minutes and it was mostly steady BUT, if you watch that video again, there is one point where it randomly dips to 20fps for a period of time and we were like "Whoa, what is that?"

Those are the types of drops that are happening all over the place. The demo that I played certainly didn't exhibit the issue very often but each session was only 15 minutes soooo...who knows.
Do you think the problems in docked mode could be some sort of streaming error or bug?
Because as I understand it, the portable mode doesn't drop at all.

And what about the claim that the drops mainly are on the Great Plateau?

Not true at all, whilst it does improve once your off the great plateau(less frequent drops) it get's far worse when in villages (especially when it rains) and other specific areas which make the great plateau seem like a rock solid frame rate.
I've said it before but wait a few days until people reach later villages and specific areas, if people are this upset about a little random dropping to 20fps then people will be going nuts in a few days.
I fully expect a patch because as it stands in docked mode it gets really bad in parts.

What are your facts here? Did you follow the GDC footage about BotW at all?
Four years+ of development with a minimum of two years of NX development time.

Maybe they didn't have the NX in mind, but they had the Wii U in mind and they failed to deliver a premium experience on even better hardware. It's kind of embarrassing.

Framedrops havent really hampered my gameplay, but they can be a bit jarring since they seem to be at completely unexpected times.

Since it's not a HW power issue as much as it is streaming issue according to DF, is it something that Nintendo could have fixed without needing to downgrade the overall package (e.g. mandatory installs)?

Feels like they released Console and Game way too early. Cant believe IGN gave a game that drops to 20fps a 10/10 but other games would get for the performance a much worse score

For IGN, and probably many other outlets, a 10/10 or 5 stars does not mean a perfect game. On the IGN scale in particular, it means masterpiece. Do you not think it's possible that the game is so good in all other aspects that occasional frame rate issues would not hamper it from being a masterpiece?

I'm saying this as someone who wasn't hyped for Zelda or the Switch and for the moment is planning on getting it this weekend for the Wii U, which is what I really want a DF comparison on.

breakfuss

Four years+ of development with a minimum of two years of NX development time.

Maybe they didn't have the NX in mind, but they had the Wii U in mind and they failed to deliver a premium experience on even better hardware. It's kind of embarrassing.

You seem to be really bothered lol

Neoweee

Basically. Instead of each frame being displayed for exactly two display refreshes (30fps at 60Hz), one might be displayed for 3 while the next is only displayed for 1, etc. The end result is still 30 unique frames per second, but unevenly distributed over that second.

And for the effect on the player, it can be weird. For some it just feels straight-up like a lower framerate, while some claim to not even notice it.

sirap

Not true at all, whilst it does improve once your off the great plateau(less frequent drops) it get's far worse when in villages and other specific areas which make the great plateau seem like a rock solid frame rate.
I've said it before but wait a few days until people reach later villages and specific areas and people will be going nuts.

Wait till they get to the tropical biome. Just Cause 3/Dark Souls 1 blighttown levels of performance ugh.

Dremark

Banned
I also saw many people complaining about the framerates in

2016's GOTY Witcher 3

and

a game that's commonly called 'the closest thing to perfect' alongside other like accolades and lovingly hyperbolic monikers here on GAF, Bloodborne

but you know what I didn't see?
people alleging that those two games simply didn't deserve their high praise and accolades because of their technical failings
non-stop beginning literally the minute those games started drawing high praise and accolades

However neither of those games got a 98/100 score. Perhaps people felt that the lower scores they received fit the game as a whole with the technical issues they had.

Got

Banned
goddammit. now when my switch and game get delivered today it'll go right into the trash. fuckers.

giphy.gif

Jtrizzy

Whats the word on the wii u frame rate? Any idea how long it'll take to get this going on an emulator? Guessing 60 fps wont work bc of animations etc?

Jarmel

Banned

Are you guys going to do later segments of the game? Supposedly there's a few areas where the framerate significantly dips such as villages and tropical areas and it would be interesting to compare performance in those regions as well.

Myriadis

I must say that I am not very sensitive when it comes to framerate problems but even I noticed that on the WiiU version. 90% of the time (10 hours so far) it runs really well but especially in towns it is noticable. All in all I knew before that the WiiU version will be the weaker one and it is really impressive that it runs on that console mostly well with this much going on but it's a bit strange to see that in a normally really polished Nintendo game.

That doesn't remove the fact tho that BotW is already one of the best games I played so far.

And lol to these who are whimpering about the score, it's so obvious that you're completely salty that it rated better than your favorite game. Keep it going, it's music to my ears.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are you guys going to do later segments of the game? Supposedly there's a few areas where the framerate significantly dips such as villages and tropical areas and it would be interesting to compare performance in those regions as well.

I believe so. Just takes time to get there and grab all necessary media.

Top Bottom