• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Performance Analysis: Dark Souls 2 The Scholar of the First Sin (PS4 vs. XB1)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I emailed Digital Foundry concerning the Achievement Unlock being the cause for the slowdown. I got a very quick response from Tom Morgan (the author of the DF piece)

So, not the achievement. Op, you may want to add this

Damn, DF is so good at their jobs.

Cynn

This mania for 60fps or bust is a relatively recent phenomenon, and is in my opinion a very unhealthy one. Games are being compared on metrics, with value of experience being justified after the fact by those numbers.

60 FPS has always been highly valued and marketed in the past but hard to accomplish. People have the "60fps of Bust" mentality today because there's really no reason for that target to be missed if a developer chooses to embrace it. As technology advances people expect more from it. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Different people value different things.

I emailed Digital Foundry concerning the Achievement Unlock being the cause for the slowdown. I got a very quick response from Tom Morgan (the author of the DF piece)

So, not the achievement. Op, you may want to add this

The second time around I get a minimum fps reading of 32fps just as the souls start flying across - so essentially in the same ballpark as what we had before.

Holy poop.

thelastword

Banned
NX Gamer's Dark Souls 2 face-off
Cool, PS4 version maintains a higher average, pretty much 60fps, sometimes it can
stay ahead of the xbox version with a gap of 15fps when things get heavy.

Again, bloodborne is really a generation ahead of DS2 in all aspects and the framerate looks to average at 30fps.

Oppo

60 FPS has always been highly valued and marketed in the past but hard to accomplish. People have the "60fps of Bust" mentality today because there's really no reason for that target to be missed if a developer chooses to embrace it. As technology advances people expect more from it. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Different people value different things.

60 FPS wasn't even mentioned in the past. It wasn't a "thing". It was all just interlaced video. They were always yelling about colours and voices back then.

60 half-frames per second at 320x240 or 640x480 if you were really lucky is more like it

Top Bottom