• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Snake Pass PS4/Switch Comparison.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wBvsx84Dys

- Solid 30fps on both platforms.
- Some frame-pacing issues on Switch (docked and undocked).
- Sub-native resolutions on both platforms (1536 x 864 on PS4 and 1200 x 675 [docked] ~844x475 [undocked])
- Shadow maps reduced and water caustics and ripple shaders missing on Switch.

- PS4 Pro runs 1080p/60FPS (multiple resolution options).

Constrict me if old.

Surprised at the sub-native res of the PS4. PS4 Pro footage was looking good though, interested to see it with more detail!

Why are PC and XB1 missing? Sigh DF, stop rushing to be first and make complete videos.

That's a lot of platforms and it takes a good amount of time to edit these things together. It's nice that they were able to put this video out now, with a previous comparison posted earlier being flat out wrong. I doubt the full comparison would have come out sooner had this not been posted.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why are PC and XB1 missing? Sigh DF, stop rushing to be first and make complete videos.
It's because I didn't have time since I'm leaving for EGX tonight until Sunday. Wanted to get something done rather than wait until next week.

Also, got PC code late (just a few hours ago really)

killroy87

Weird, it mentions that Switch portable looks crisper than on TV, but haven't there been multiple impressions on here that Switch portable looks super blurry?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wonder how much CPU the snake physics ends up using? It looks really good in that regard. Seems like they did a solid job for the Switch ver too, def getting this when I can get a Switch

Twookie

wait, PS4 is subnative?

legit surprised

it ran fine enough on switch so I am a bit shocked that it cannot hit 1080p

Trago

"It's likely that this issue slipped through."

laughing-gif.gif

Anyway, I was expecting a worse visual downgrade, but it doesn't look bad honestly.

Ridley327

Oh wow I thought ps4 was 60?

Early footage showed the game running at an uncapped framerate, but they locked it down to 30 in the final game on base hardware. That being said, people have been saying that the game does hit 60 fps on PS4 Pro in 1080p mode, so the dream isn't entirely dead.

Ac30

It's because I didn't have time since I'm leaving for EGX tonight until Sunday. Wanted to get something done rather than wait until next week.

Any idea how low the handheld mode goes? Resolution-wise

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Surprised at the sub-native res of the PS4. PS4 Pro footage was looking good though, interested to see it with more detail!

Yeah, that's really weird. Hopefully we'll see a comparison between standard and 4K modes on the Pro.

edit: they mention they'll have a video for it shortly. Rad. Love DF.

I think the fact that a lot of people assumed the PS4 was 1080p 60fps and it's apparently neither is frankly pretty telling about how important these numbers are.

Anyway this is a very interesting comparison and bodes quite well for the Switch when it comes to UE4 titles.

Skyzard

Banned
Lol, so the other comparison was actually comparing vs tweaked pc settings? I thought I was just making a dumb conspiracy.

Not too bad at least. Should be some nice bed time fun as a handheld game.

bomblord1

Banned
PS4 Sub 900P 30FPS
+ Better Shadow Maps
+ Water Caustics
+ Water Ripple Shader
+ Excellent TAA

Switch Sub 720P 30FPS
+ "Fuller" Grass(?)
+ Faster Loading
+ Excellent TAA
- Minor Frame Pacing issues

So basically lower resolution (but not an incredibly drastic one) and missing some effects aside from the surprise on PS4 resolution that's actually a pretty favorable comparison for UE4 multiplat titles on Switch.

Kouriozan

Seems like a pretty good port, and apparently they made it work rather quickly on the Switch, have a slight preference when there is no DoF.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the fact that a lot of people assumed the PS4 was 1080p 60fps and it's apparently neither is frankly pretty telling about how important these numbers are.
People assumed it because we just had a fake news thread saying it.

People are saying frame rate isn't important. That's what I'm hearing.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

older footage showed the game running with an uncapped framerate. if you think the difference between 30 and 60 fps is insignificant, you're not gonna find many people who agree with you.

People assumed it because we just had a fake news thread saying it.

People are saying frame rate isn't important. That's what I'm hearing.

The thread didn't actually say it from what I recall, and neither did the video. It was people's assumptions based on the video.

older footage showed the game running with an uncapped framerate. if you think the difference between 30 and 60 fps is insignificant, you're not gonna find many people who agree with you.

I find 60fps vs 30fps quite noticeable, I'm just going by the reactions from the other thread. Either a lot of people can't tell the difference or they just hadn't actually watched the (now apparently fake) video which didn't show anything near 60fps.

Sevenfold

Don't mind the split vids on four way multiplats tbh. Nice to have docked side by side with portable direct feed.

Games like this are great for the Switch!

The game looks good, but I didn't think it was so complex that a PS4 would have to run at sub-native res to get a locked 30fps. Wonder how low they'd have to go to get a locked 60.

It'll be interesting to see the two Pro modes.

sqwarlock

The game looks good, but I didn't think it was so complex that a PS4 would have to run at sub-native res to get a locked 30fps. Wonder how low they'd have to go to get a locked 60.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The thread didn't actually say it from what I recall, and neither did the video. It was people's assumptions based on the video.

I find 60fps vs 30fps quite noticeable, I'm just going by the reactions from the other thread. Either a lot of people can't tell the difference or they just hadn't actually watched the (now apparently fake) video which didn't show anything near 60fps.

No, that is incorrect. It is in the description of the video. Stop spreading fake news.

VanWinkle

Shame about the low resolution. I mean, I know the AA does what it can, but it still makes for a blurry game. I'm okay with 30fps for a game like this, but they should have reduced/optimized graphical effects to a point where they could at least do 1080p on PS4 and maybe 900p on Switch.

Top Bottom