• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3's resolutions weren't dictated by MS

Nags

Banned
So it's either:
1) "Unacceptable" was just paraphrasing from blizzard dev to what MS said, a really bad one though.
2) Phil Spencer is lying
3) Blizzard dev is lying.

So I'm going with Hanlon's razor on this, and I assume the first one is what really happened.

#1 seems to be the most likely scenario.

Chobel

As with most things I bet the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I doubt MS told Blizzard "if you don't get it to 1080p you can forget about releasing on the Xbox One!" I also doubt they gave them absolutely no pressure and just offered "help".

I think this is what really happened.

krioto

It's not exactly the most graphically taxing of games - why was there an issue getting it to 1080p in the first place?

Eusis

It's not exactly the most graphically taxing of games - why was there an issue getting it to 1080p in the first place?
Probably the root of it being "unacceptable": it just seemed crazy to settle for less for DIII specifically.

jond76

Banned
Anyone who has spent more than a day on the internet knows that inflection and nuance does not come across over text.

I imagine it was more that MS thought it was unacceptable for blizzard to find themselves struggling to get the framerate/ rez that they wanted and sent help.

"hmmm. To get the frame rate we want we have to drop rez to 900..."

"that's unacceptable(that you can't meet your internal goals). We can help you out."

evolution

To me he confirms what the blizzard dev said was true. I'm sure they weren't forced to go to 1080p, but he obviously felt strongly enough about the resolution to let blizzard know they shouldn't be at 900p.

As with most things I bet the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I doubt MS told Blizzard "if you don't get it to 1080p you can forget about releasing on the Xbox One!" I also doubt they gave them absolutely no pressure and just offered "help".

It doesn't even make sense to assume they demanded a higher resolution. How silly would they look waking into an office and saying that?

What does make sense is them coming to Blizzard and saying "hey, our new SDK gives you back 10% of the GPU", we can show you how to get to 1080p now.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
They're all lying. Game doesn't even exist. You've been fooled. Wake up. The world is a lie. Take the blue pill....or the red one. I can't remember, it's a really old pop culture reference to a film I didn't even like all that much, mentioned in a post that makes no sense. Are you still reading this? Why?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Of course they didn't block the release of the game for something like that. There's a difference between giving a dev an ultimatum and what the Blizzard account entailed. Not necessarily a direct contradiction here.

SSReborn

So it's either:
1) "Unacceptable" was just paraphrasing from blizzard dev to what MS said, a really bad one though.
2) Phil Spencer is lying

So I'm going with Hanlon's razor on this, and I assume the first one is what really happened.
I would agree that the first is the most likely one.

I was under the impression that MS gave blizzard "the code" that allowed them to get 1080p, whatever that meant.

Secret sauce!!

Either way, I know it's more fun to believe the bad press, but I believe the dev paraphrased what went down... I think MS helped them with the code but didn't force the parity.

Orayn

Optimistic View: They're both telling the truth for the most part, and the dialogue went something like MS saying "We think this could hit 1080p with a little more work, we'll send somebody to help you get it there if you want to try." and Blizzard obliging.

Cynical View: MS wants the 1080p bullet point more often, they did pressure Blizzard, and they're lying through their teeth about it.

I would like to be an optimist.

EL CUCO

owDHKDf.jpg

Cheech

So what, was the dev just being overdramatic when he said Microsoft said it was unacceptable?

That would be my guess. I'm guessing the people who thought Blizzard was speaking literally aren't American, because we like to use dramatics sometimes like that. Just saying. Hah.

Phil says a lot of things, and at this point I don't really trust the guy. Honestly, I don't care. If they can get it to 1080p, good, if not well then that's their issue.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Optimistic View: They're both telling the truth for the most part, and the dialogue went something like MS saying "We think this could hit 1080p with a little more work, we'll send somebody to help you get it there if you want to try." and Blizzard obliging.

Cynical View: MS wants the 1080p bullet point more often, they did pressure Blizzard, and they're lying through their teeth about it.

I would like to be an optimist.
They can pressure them without blocking it entirely. One may argue simply suggesting that they should go for 1080p alone is a form of pressure.

In this thread, optimism/cynicism hinges on how much you like Phil than the information presented itself, because the information lines up with no big question marks.

cakely

I was under the impression that MS gave blizzard "the code" that allowed them to get 1080p, whatever that meant.

"the code" unlocks the stacked GPU.

Chobel said:

That sounds like a pretty good guess, actually.

Mechazawa

Did I step into some bizarro world.

Of course "unacceptable" wasn't meant to be taken literally. Because the alternative is that Microsoft is pushing Blizzard around.

Pushing Blizzard around.

Pushing Blizzard around.

EGM1966

I always noted the "MS was like" element which clearly indicates the whole "this is unacceptable" was paraphrasing and shortening a much longer discussion.

Seems clear the situation was basically MS saying "you're close let's not stop here; we'll provide help too".

Never thought MS would have told them explicitly to change it and never felt Blizzard felt they'd been bossed around.

The more detailed comments make it clear they weren't actually far of 1080p with stable fps in the first place; MS just encouraged them to take the route of more effort vs the easy route of a simple resolution drop.

So it's either:
2) Phil Spencer is lying

I'm going with 4. This was once again blown out of proportion by people reading too much into a very short quote.

Even if MS said 900p for this game is unacceptable for our machine, let's work together to improve it, this doesn't mean they would fail cert otherwise. And honestly, seeing how well the game runs at 1080p right now I don't see why wouldn't Blizzard make the call to ship the game at 1080p.

def sim

Did I step into some bizarro world.

Of course "unacceptable" was meant to be taken literally. Because the alternative is that Microsoft is pushing Blizzard about.

Pushing Blizzard around.

Pushing Blizzard around.

hah yeah it's the silliest thing

JCizzle

Didn't they send over software/engineering help to Blizz to get it to 1080? That's probably what they meant by unacceptable and I hope both companies do that when faced between shipping a non-optimized product versus something that could be better with first party assistance.

Wallach

To be honest, it's a little crazy to me to think Microsoft would have actually rejected this title at 900p. I'm sure they pushed for 1080p and did whatever they could to help them get there, but I'm also pretty sure that was Blizzard's call to make in the end. The alternative would have been giving PS4 a relatively large exclusive, and leaving the consumer base to create the narrative for why it wasn't coming out on XB1.

ps3ud0

Its one of those things that sounds worse than it is - no doubt Blizzard paraphrased what MS said to them, but ultimately what they allowed on record in the interview they felt was an accurate summation of how MS broached that subject though perhaps that wasnt MSs intent but ended up the outcome...

I dont think Blizzard accidently mentioned that

ps3ud0 8)

Bundy

Banned
Phil Spencer: "I'll say whatever, just please stop talking shit about us on the internet. I love shenmue!"
That's exactly the issue I have with the whole "I believe in Phil Spencer" stuff. I don't get the love people have for him.
Every time Spencer talks, this is pretty much what I see, yeah.
Yup! Feel the same way.
I believe what the dev/Blizz says.

And lol at "The Inner Circle"......

Well, I think that MS looked at the game, and looked how simplistic the gfx are and thought that a game looking like that should be 1080p on their console. It doesn't look good when your competitor gets there with ease. It's understandable when a really next gen looking game doesn't quite hit 1080p or 900p. But D3 doesn't look like something these consoles should be struggling with at any standard resolution up to and including 1080p.

MS wants that 1080p bullet point. I'm sure they strongly suggested it.

Remember they'd never give Sony 30%. They invented DirectX.

meppi

Every time Spencer talks, this is pretty much what I see, yeah.

Well he's brought in to drastically turn the ship around and that's what he's been doing, simple as that.
Does that make me believe every word he says? Nope.
I certainly don't dislike the guy, but I'm getting the feeling he's really trying a bit too hard as of late.
Guess that if it works on enough people, it can be considered a job well done, and looking at all the buttons in avatars on the board, plenty are falling for the PR speak.

Bgamer90

Banned
To be honest, it's a little crazy to me to think Microsoft would have actually rejected this title at 900p. I'm sure they pushed for 1080p and did whatever they could to help them get there, but I'm also pretty sure that was Blizzard's call to make in the end. The alternative would have been giving PS4 a relatively large exclusive, and leaving the consumer base to create the narrative for why it wasn't coming out on XB1.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

RedAssedApe

Banned
the suggesting part sounds weird because they talk about how how they needed to get ms ninjas to help out to hit 1080p didn't they? if it was up to them Blizzard sound like they wanted 900p/60fps

i'm sure it wasnt at gunpoint though :p

Between MS "forcing" them to get to 1080p and Sony "forcing" them to initially keep mum on the Xbox One version of the game, Blizzard is looking pretty feeble lately.

Dev's getting pushed around is crazy.

jblank83

I feel like I'm missing the big controversy here. Are we really squabbling over uncommon 8 frame dips?

The DF videos showed they weren't uncommon, occurring in the very first fight outside the very first town, with only the lightest particle effects and a handful of enemies. DF failed to test more graphically intense moments in the game, such that we do not know how late game or intense multiplayer will fare in terms of performance.

This topic is not about that subject, though.

Top Bottom