• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3's resolutions weren't dictated by MS

Wow.

Playing out the scenario in my head, I keeping picturing Phil Spencer and MS as these guys:

simp-mafia.png

"You know, I'm not saying you have to get to 1080p, I'm just saying, we would greatly appreciate if you got to 1080p. I mean, you got a lot of nice things around here, be a real shame if something bad happened to it."

Handy Fake

Wow.

Playing out the scenario in my head, I keeping picturing Phil Spencer and MS as these guys:

simp-mafia.png

"You know, I'm not saying you have to get to 1080p, I'm just saying, we would greatly appreciate if you got to 1080p. I mean, you got a lot of nice things around here, be a real shame if something bad happened to it."

"We're not saying your offices are going get flooded... But you know, if they do and you have to ask for help... We'll be there..."

3078_Sean%20Murray1.jpg

Swass

It doesn't even make sense to assume they demanded a higher resolution.

It makes perfect sense if you believe Microsoft is trying to give the illusion of parity with the PS4. And it sure seems like there has been astroturfing on some sites trying to hammer home the parity message.

zedge

In the end the game is better for it, who the fuck cares..Two sides both paraphrased, the truth is probably in the middle somewhere.

Yay for another 40 page circle jerk of hyperbole, and idiotic conspiracy theories in the making.

Wow.

simp-mafia.png

Whoa whoa whoa! Let's make something clear. Microsoft or Sony will never be as cool as these guys no matter how much they try. Nintendo might be like these guys because they got that Mario name they can drop.

On topic...
I'll believe the developer more so than Microsoft in this case. Why would they lie or make something like this up?
Microsoft probably tried to get Blizzard to up the res to 1080p but May have came across the wrong way to the Devs or something along them lines.

Handy Fake

Whoa whoa whoa! Let's make something clear. Microsoft or Sony will ever be as cool as these guys no matter how much they try. Nintendo might be like these guys because they got that Mario name they can drop.

On topic...
I'll believe the developer more so than Microsoft in this case. Why would they lie or make something like this up?
Microsoft probably tried to get Blizzard to up the res to 1080p but probably came across the wrong way to the Devs or something along them lines.

I'd probably go with this in all honesty. Although while I'm sure there was no ultimatum, I think you can't go far wrong with assuming that MS had a lot to say about it being 900p...

Which does fly in the face of what Spencer was saying only last week.

The poor man's turning into the Bill Clinton of Gaming PR.

In the end the game is better for it, who the fuck cares..Two sides both paraphrased, the truth is probably in the middle somewhere.

Yay for another 40 page circle jerk of hyperbole, and idiotic conspiracy theories in the making.

I know. What I wouldn't give for more needlessly antagonistic drive-by posts by people not caring. If only there was a way to stop them clicking on a thread. If only, if only, if only... Technology be damned. I blame Phil Spencer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
To be honest, it's a little crazy to me to think Microsoft would have actually rejected this title at 900p. I'm sure they pushed for 1080p and did whatever they could to help them get there, but I'm also pretty sure that was Blizzard's call to make in the end. The alternative would have been giving PS4 a relatively large exclusive, and leaving the consumer base to create the narrative for why it wasn't coming out on XB1.

There was no way this was going to happen so the narrative never happened and we have what we have here. Contradictions. Shame.

mintylurb

Poor xenon. He's been around long enough to know better than to make such post.
Anyway, bish should change his tag to 900P when he returns.

Valnen

Diablo 3 with a controller?

Yeah, I'll pass

It's the best way to play melee classes IMO. I wish they'd patch it into the PC version but last I heard they don't want to because they don't think pad players can handle PC monster density. I want to prove them wrong. Every top down ARPG on PC should have controller support. It pisses me off that every time someone suggests they want to play this way, both the developers and fans pile on terrible reasons why "it doesn't work" when it very much does.

VinFTW

Removed the link, but thread can stay open. It's newsworthy. Weird how it took a full day and it's directly contradicting the dev account, though.

Isn't it possible that the quote from the Blizzard dev was insanely misinterpreted and completely taken out of context (perhaps because of the lack of context)?

A_Gorilla

Banned
Wow.

simp-mafia.png

And that would naturally make Sony these guys:

Yakuza.png

Need more I believe in phil spencer avatars in here.

Yeah I'm going with bungie on this one seeing as I don't see a reason for them to lie.

That's exactly the issue I have with the whole "I believe in Phil Spencer" stuff. I don't get the love people have for him.
I don't get the love for House, Cerny, Yoshida, Iwata, Reggie or any other company executive. They are heads of multibillion dollar companies, not your best friends.

Even the great Gaben doesn't deserve all of the praise he gets.

Don't smite me Gabe

It was probably more like this...

jedi-hand-wave.gif

thats hilarious.

I think with this type of game it really was important to get to 1080P due to the sheer amount of small things and descriptions on the screen.

Ive played quite a bit so far and have only seen one bit of slowdown which was the final boss in Act V. other than that it has been smooth as butter.

after the whole, "yeah it's exclusive in holiday 2015." "is it exclusive? in holiday 2015, it is. it is exclusive the way you just read it on the stage. i don't wanna talk anymore. just take what our pr came up with and run that on the headline" shenanigans his words are the last i want to believe in.

Quotient

As with most things I bet the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I doubt MS told Blizzard "if you don't get it to 1080p you can forget about releasing on the Xbox One!" I also doubt they gave them absolutely no pressure and just offered "help".

This seems to be the most likely scenario.

It may also be the case that blizzard weren't willing to put in the extra resources needed to get the resolution to 1080p and were happy to ship the game at the lower resolution. Microsoft provided the necessary push to get it to 1080p - which may have been both a SDK update and some non-direct pressure.

Vestax

Banned
As with most things I bet the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I doubt MS told Blizzard "if you don't get it to 1080p you can forget about releasing on the Xbox One!" I also doubt they gave them absolutely no pressure and just offered "help".

I agree with this.

ethomaz

Banned
I believe MS is asking to all developer to push 1080p in their games after the resolution fiasco and to reach that they are even helping with the code.

That is fine.

In some case it is working... Diablo 3 for example... but others not... Snipe Elite 3.

RexNovis

Banned
So it's either believe Phil "it has a duration holiday 2015, exclusively on Xbox" Spencer or "It has to be online" Blizzard. Yea I'm just gonna chalk this up as a perpetual mystery cause neither side is high on my trust list.

Top Bottom