• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Elite Dangerous PS4/Pro/XOne/PC Comparison

Synth

This game is so freaking beautiful in VR.

I hope PSVR people get to try it.

The performance of the PS4 version suggests this is never happening (even less likely than Project Cars). The game would need to be 60fps comfortably at all times for VR, and it's nowhere close drawing in standard 2D.

If developers were allowed to have PS4 Pro exclusive features, then a PSVR mode for the Pro would likely be feasible.

You think it's not certain that Scorpio will run the game better than any other console? Lol

Considering Frontier have already announced a 4K resolution patch for XB1X launch, whereas the Pro remains 1080p and performing pretty badly in quality mode, it's not even really worth debating over right now.

timberger

You think it's not certain that Scorpio will run the game better than any other console? Lol

Before this thread I'm sure many would have scoffed at the idea of xb1 running it better than PS4 as well, yet here we are.

As things currently stand though, hardware that doesn't exist yet is probably irrelevant to the conversation right now in these threads.

c0de

Before this thread I'm sure many would have scoffed at the idea of xb1 running it better than PS4 as well, yet here we are.

As things currently stand though, hardware that doesn't exist yet is probably irrelevant to the conversation right now in these threads.

The hardware does exist and we know its specifications, that's why we can make educated guesses. And the console to be released is much more powerful than any other console.

The hardware does exist and we know its specifications, that's why we can make educated guesses. And the console to be released is much more powerful than any other console.

Pretty much. I look at that hardware doesn't exist comment, and I'm like "really?"

Jesus.

timberger

Huh... so why aren't digital foundry testing this game on it in this article?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Synth said:
The game would need to be 60fps comfortably at all times for VR, and it's nowhere close drawing in standard 2D.
In all fairness, going 2d->VR in the same game doesn't mean you automatically get worse performance (it can be a performance win, depending on what the limiting factors were before) but obviously, they still have a fair bit of work to do to get to stable 60 at is is, and it doesn't look like their PS4 software stack is doing so hot to begin with.

Nachtfalke said:
Serious question: what's the benefit with double buffer vsync over triple buffer?
Slightly less memory usage advantage with Double buffer and lower input latency.
But most of the time (especially so when cross-platform doesn't behave consistently on different consoles) it's an issue with hardware-specific codebases and/or overall engine architecture not supporting something or just being late to implementation.
Basically - not a matter of "choice" as much as "whatever we have ready to ship" type of thing.

But most of the time (especially so when cross-platform doesn't behave consistently on different consoles) it's an issue with hardware-specific codebases and/or overall engine architecture not supporting something or just being late to implementation.
Until the latest patch, PS4 users had reported lots of tearing. It seems possible double buffering was added quickly to eliminate that complaint. Perhaps they'll update performance and remove it again when not needed? I seem to remember another Pro title doing that before, though I might be mistaken.

Justinh

Damn, this is a shameful reminder.

I love the... premise (?) behind this game, and bought it twice (steam and Xbox One) but can't figure out really how I should be playing it. I never know what I'm doing and end up like... running out of gas or something.

I guess I should look up a guide or something, but I hate doing that unless I've already gotten a lot of play in a game. It's a shame since it seems like a game I would adore. Especially if I got myself a HoTAS or maybe if I started playing it with my Rift.

Jedi2016

The Pro doesn't, why is it somehow "guaranteed" that the 1X will?

Seriously, though, if you're really hardcore about this game, PC is the only way to go. Not even talking about performance here, just the combination of HOTAS, head tracking, and voice commands makes it a no-brainer.

Damn, this is a shameful reminder.

I love the... premise (?) behind this game, and bought it twice (steam and Xbox One) but can't figure out really how I should be playing it. I never know what I'm doing and end up like... running out of gas or something.

I guess I should look up a guide or something, but I hate doing that unless I've already gotten a lot of play in a game. It's a shame since it seems like a game I would adore. Especially if I got myself a HoTAS or maybe if I started playing it with my Rift.

If you haven't found a goal for yourself in the game no guide is going to help you do that. Guides can help you grind to get better gear, but unless you already have something you wish to do with that better gear you aren't going to find it. It's just not that kind of game, you truly are doing what you want to do.

That said, look up the Unknown Artefact threads on the forums if you want a community objective to chase, though it's been going for well over a year with no end in sight. Also check the Galnet board for any interesting news posts that may lead to missions with more to them. There will be no instant gratification though and you may have to wait months or even years for the answers behind any of the mysteries.

Justinh

If you haven't found a goal for yourself in the game no guide is going to help you do that. Guides can help you grind to get better gear, but unless you already have something you wish to do with that better gear you aren't going to find it. It's just not that kind of game, you truly are doing what you want to do.

That said, look up the Unknown Artefact threads on the forums if you want a community objective to chase, though it's been going for well over a year with no end in sight. Also check the Galnet board for any interesting news posts that may lead to missions with more to them. There will be no instant gratification though and you may have to wait months or even years for the answers behind any of the mysteries.

I just want to do what I did a lot in Privateer, and haul goods around. I just get lost, or forget to get fuel, or not figure out how to get fuel and end up getting stranded, and quit.

I just want to do what I did a lot in Privateer, and haul goods around. I just get lost, or forget to get fuel, or not figure out how to get fuel and end up getting stranded, and quit.

Are you still early in the game? IIRC I had a similar issue early on due to the small amount of fuel you can carry and the really small jumps. Best advice I could give would be just buy any level of fuel scoop so that at the very least you fuel up when needed. As a trader I'm guessing you stay mostly in the bubble so you shouldn't run into a sequence of unscoopable stars around there.

Once the X is released, the flip/flop in the defense force once the DF comparisons start dropping is going to be amazing.

I have a Pro, and I’ll be getting an X to replace my S, but watching the Sony camp jump to defense after a smug couple of years is going to be entertaining.

I’m just looking forward to a 4K X patch for Elite so I can continue on my adventure. Great game, even if it is a little grindy.

Justinh

Are you still early in the game? IIRC I had a similar issue early on due to the small amount of fuel you can carry and the really small jumps. Best advice I could give would be just buy any level of fuel scoop so that at the very least you fuel up when needed. As a trader I'm guessing you stay mostly in the bubble so you shouldn't run into a sequence of unscoopable stars around there.

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, I was really early on, and I just kept restarting every time I went back to it. Thanks for the fuel scoop tip. I'll have to give that a shot the next time I give it a go.

Top Bottom