• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: F1 2015 Preliminary Performance Analysis

Javin98

Banned
Oh, NXGamer has made plenty mistakes in the past. Doesn't stop people on here from trying to push him as the new go-to unbiased tech analyst.
To be fair, both have made mistakes in the past. Different kinds of mistakes, however, though neither is any more forgivable than the other. Well, at least, NXGamer hasn't brought up better network as damage control for one platform.

Seanspeed

Banned
And like I said earlier, DF mentioned AF in this article, but didn't mention the lack of AO on the XB1 version. Shouldn't something this noticeable be pointed out in this article as well? Whether it is significant to you or not is irrelevant. The point is AO is missing in the XB1 version whether by accident or intentionally. Also, I find it ironic that most people find HBAO+ to look significantly better than SSAO but you said that the lack of AO is insignificant here. And regarding NXGamer, I can already list several posters who will jump on him even if it was a small mistake.
I never said AO in general is insignificant, I just think its impact is minimal here.

Not trying to make excuses. I genuinely had to get out my metaphorical magnifying glass to track down where it was noticeable at all outside the armco barrier. In many other games, lack of AO would stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm sure they've 'missed' other things in this initial impression, too.

To be fair, both have made mistakes in the past. Different kinds of mistakes, however, though neither is any more forgivable than the other. Well, at least, NXGamer hasn't brought up better network as damage control for one platform.
You just had to edit in that last line, eh?

stryke

Oh man that really goes to show valuable AO really is.
But having it missing completely on XO seems like some kind of bug to me?

It certainly makes the lighting look a lot less "flat".

1436614447-f14.gif

Javin98

Banned
I never said AO in general is insignificant, I just think its impact is minimal here.

Not trying to make excuses. I genuinely had to get out my metaphorical magnifying glass to track down where it was noticeable at all outside the armco barrier. In many other games, lack of AO would stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm sure they've 'missed' other things in this initial impression, too.

You just had to edit in that last line, eh?
You're not making much sense. Why would AO be less noticeable here than in any other games? It's like saying low res shadows are fine in a game that is mostly dark. Or perhaps you need to get your eyes checked. One look at that GIF and I call tell something's amiss. And regarding that "last line", I still find it ridiculous they used it as damage control for the XB1 version. How else would you interpret it as?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Tearing is indeed an issue, and I am usually quite sensitive to tearing, but here it is rather mild. It doesn't happen every second. This is as bad as it qets on PS4.

ZfM5Ims.jpg

Knew you wouldn't leave that post the way it was, haha.

Moozo

Driving round Melbourne and looking behind me on the run down to turn 3 reduced my frame rate to a slideshow on PS4

ElTorro

By the way, from my impressions on the PS4, framerate drops are not an issue unless you use the chase cam view. There you can detect judder depending on what is going on on screen. Otherwise, it is not noticeable while playing.

sector4

original article and op said:
this year's instalment is the first driving game from the studio that targets 60fps since the Colin McRae Rally titles on PS2 and the original Xbox. PS3 and Xbox One saw a prevalence of 30fps caps, but with the new wave of consoles there's a sense that things are starting to change - that there's more of a focus on 60fps gameplay in genres that particularly stand to benefit from smoother, more responsive action.
No one caught this typo in the original article and OP? You're slipping GAF haha!

Three

Not trying to make excuses.

But you are. There is no need to try and drag NXgamer into this, there is no need to try and say it was irrelevant to the article, there is no need to try and say it's not important.

It's the equivalent of a teacher telling a kid "You didn't mention French NATO withdrawal on your paper about the Cold war" and the kid replying "Yeah but it's just a draft, Jimmy misses things all the time too I wonder if you would have a go at him, besides French NATO withdrawal isn't that important"

It's OK, DF missed it. Don't make poor excuses for it.

Seanspeed

Banned
But you are. There is no need to try and drag NXgamer into this, there is no need to try and say it was irrelevant to the article, there is no need to try and say it's not important.

It's the equivalent of a teacher telling a kid "You didn't mention French NATO withdrawal on your paper about the Cold war" and the kid replying "Yeah but it's just a draft, Jimmy misses things all the time too I wonder if you would have a go at him, besides French NATO withdrawal isn't that important"

I didn't bring NXgamer into it. That was somebody else. lol

There's nothing to defend in a preliminary analysis unless they said something wrong.

Javin98

Banned

In his defence, I was the one who brought up NXGamer. So you can blame me for that. But you're right about pretty much everything else.

timlot

Banned
Makes the wizardry thats coming out of Turn 10 that much more amazing. 1080p60fps "locked" on XB1 hardware. F1 still looks nice though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Makes the wizardry thats coming out of Turn 10 that much more amazing. 1080p60fps "locked" on XB1 hardware. F1 still looks nice though.
I think they made the right choice for their game but it's clear that major sacrifices were made to reach that point.

I DO think it's worth making those sacrifices to reach a steady frame-rate, however.

Seanspeed

Banned
You're not making much sense. Why would AO be less noticeable here than in any other games? It's like saying low res shadows are fine in a game that is mostly dark. Or perhaps you need to get your eyes checked. One look at that GIF and I call tell something's amiss. And regarding that "last line", I still find it ridiculous they used it as damage control for the XB1 version. How else would you interpret it as?
Your last line was just a cheap, irrelevant shot that tells more about your own 'vs' mentality on the subject.

And the AO would be less noticeable because there are less objects and geometry in closer proximity where the effect is most apparent. I had to search for it and obviously I wasn't the only one, while in many other games, its much more apparent. But of course you're going to push it as being as impactful as you can.

Anyways we'll see in the full analysis whether they've truly missed it.

Javin98

Banned
Your last line was just a cheap, irrelevant shot that tells more about your own 'vs' mentality on the subject.

And the AO would be less noticeable because there are less objects and geometry in closer proximity where the effect is most apparent. I had to search for it and obviously I wasn't the only one, while in many other games, its much more apparent. But of course you're going to push it as being as impactful as you can.

Anyways we'll see in the full analysis whether they've truly missed it.
Right, my "last line" was cheap, sure. But you didn't answer my question. Aside from damage control, what would you interpret DF's statement as? Also, if you can't see the differences as clear as that, then you're the one downplaying it. Nothing to do with me making it seem impactful. Give me one example when I tried to downplay a noticeable difference. And please don't say The Witcher 3. I myself said the PC version looks significantly better. Like Three said, you're making excuses.

Three

I didn't bring NXgamer into it. That was somebody else. lol

There's nothing to defend in a preliminary analysis unless they said something wrong.

You're right, you didn't bring NX up but you did say he gets away with missing stuff which would be completely untrue. You're defending the fact that they didn't mention it. The excuse about "F1 speeds" is particularly funny because low texture filtering (something mentioned in the article and since revised) on the road on both console versions of the game would be far less noticeable than missing AO . Texture filtering affects surfaces that are perpendicular to the direction of travel meaning they become blurred. AO affects all objects/surfaces. Even those which are parallel and not blurred.

Javin98

Banned
You're right, you didn't bring NX up but you did say he gets away with missing stuff which would be completely untrue. You're defending the fact that they didn't mention it. The excuse about "F1 speeds" is particularly funny because low texture filtering on the road on both console versions of the game would be far less noticeable than missing AO. Texture filtering affects surfaces that are perpendicular to the direction of travel meaning they become blurred. AO affects all objects/surfaces. Even those which are parallel and not blurred.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. AF would be less noticeable than AO at high speeds. Not sure what Sean is trying to pull here.

dark10x

Right, my "last line" was cheap, sure. But you didn't answer my question. Aside from damage control, what would you interpret DF's statement as? Also, if you can't see the differences as clear as that, then you're the one downplaying it.
Which game are you talking about again? Destiny?

The only situation where I could see networking experience coming into play is if the game in question were multiplayer only. I mean, if playing online was a bad experience on one console but not the other, and the game was online only, shouldn't that play a role in ones opinion of the two products?

The tricky thing there is that it's tough to say how widespread issues are in general. Just because one person has a bad time with their connection on one version doesn't mean everyone is. However, by reading message boards and the like, you can at least conceivably form a wider viewpoint on the matter if your experience lines up with what others are also saying (basically drawing from a larger pool). This is what sucks about covering multiplayer only games, I think, and is why I don't like to do it.

low texture filtering on the road on both console versions of the game would be far less noticeable than missing AO
Wait, what? I'd argue the opposite. You're always looking straight down the road during a driving game and poor texture filtering can absolutely wreak havoc on the presentation in such a case. AO is much less important in a fast game like this. The poor filtering in stuff like Forza 5 absolutely ruined the visuals, I think. If you have really heavy motion blur then perhaps AF becomes less critical but I still dislike when road textures turn to soup just in front of your driving position.

If you can have both, though, that's ultimately the better solution.

Javin98

Banned
Which game are you talking about again? Destiny?

The only situation where I could see networking experience coming into play is if the game in question were multiplayer only. I mean, if playing online was a bad experience on one console but not the other, and the game was online only, shouldn't that play a role in ones opinion of the two products?

The tricky thing there is that it's tough to say how widespread issues are in general. Just because one person has a bad time with their connection on one version doesn't mean everyone is. However, by reading message boards and the like, you can at least conceivably form a wider viewpoint on the matter if your experience lines up with what others are also saying (basically drawing from a larger pool). This is what sucks about covering multiplayer only games, I think, and is why I don't like to do it.
Oh, I was referring to the Evolve analysis. It's fine to mention the problem, but putting it in the conclusion to make the XB1 version look better is ridiculous IMO. What's even worse is that most people weren't even encountering those network issues on the PS4 version.

dark10x

Oh, I was referring to the Evolve analysis. It's fine to mention the problem, but putting it in the conclusion to make the XB1 version look better is ridiculous IMO.
Is that what they did? Hmmm

I guess it really depends on how much it impacts the game. Evolve is online only, right? If network code is not up to snuff that would pretty much ruin the game, I'd say. Or was it just a case where the guy covering it had a bad experience that wasn't representative of the game at large? I dunno, I haven't kept up with that game.

Seanspeed

Banned
Right, my "last line" was cheap, sure. But you didn't answer my question. Aside from damage control, what would you interpret DF's statement as? Also, if you can't see the differences as clear as that, then you're the one downplaying it. Nothing to do with me making it seem impactful. Give me one example when I tried to downplay a noticeable difference. And please don't say The Witcher 3. I myself said the PC version looks significantly better. Like Three said, you're making excuses.
I'm not gonna take the bait on old, discussed-to-death and irrelevant crap like that man, jesus.

Javin98

Banned
Is that what they did? Hmmm

I guess it really depends on how much it impacts the game. Evolve is online only, right? If network code is not up to snuff that would pretty much ruin the game, I'd say. Or was it just a case where the guy covering it had a bad experience that wasn't representative of the game at large? I dunno, I haven't kept up with that game.
Look at my edit above. Most people didn't have that issue on the PS4 version. With all due respect, I love your analysis, dude, but some of those from your colleagues are ridiculous.

I'm not gonna take the bait on old, discussed-to-death and irrelevant crap like that man, jesus.
LOL, sure. Keep dodging it. You know you can't find the evidence. So go on making excuses.

XO: "Performance sticks closely in the 45-50fps area throughout a general run of play, with constant screen-tearing part of the package. "

Not seeing it. Screen tearing, sure...at times there is clear screen tearing. Constant though? No. Streamed it for 6 hours yesterday and didn't see "constant" screen tearing.

Didn't see constant 45-50fps either. A few drops from 60 but a constant 15-10fps drop? Hardly.

Then again there was a day one patch and this is Digital Foundry so...

ElTorro

XO: "Performance sticks closely in the 45-50fps area throughout a general run of play, with constant screen-tearing part of the package. "

Not seeing it. Screen tearing, sure...at times there is clear screen tearing. Constant though? No. Streamed it for 6 hours yesterday and didn't see "constant" screen tearing.

Didn't see constant 45-50fps either. A few drops from 60 but a constant 15-10fps drop? Hardly.

Performance seems to depend a lot on the camera perspective. It is worst in chase cam view.

Seanspeed

Banned
LOL, sure. Keep dodging it. You know you can't find the evidence. So go on making excuses.
There was zero reason to bring it up in the first place. Was totally irrelevant to the discussion. It only shows how invested you are in making DF look bad and sorry if I don't feel like engaging with you further here as a result.

dark10x

Look at my edit above. Most people didn't have that issue on the PS4 version. With all due respect, I love your analysis, dude, but some of those from your colleagues are ridiculous.
Ah, so the Evolve thing wasn't a widespread issue then? That is odd indeed. I'll have to dig that one up.

Javin98

Banned
There was zero reason to bring it up in the first place. Was totally irrelevant to the discussion. It only shows how invested you are in making DF look bad and sorry if I don't feel like engaging with you further here as a result.
So you're gonna keep making excuses and saying AO is insignificant in this game? Gotcha.

Ah, so the Evolve
thing wasn't a widespread issue then? That is odd indeed. I'll have to dig that one up.
Well, you can look at the Evolve DF thread. Apparently, most people didn't have that issue. Can't speak for myself. Don't have a the game nor a PS4.

Kayant

Then again there was a day one patch and this is Digital Foundry so...

* In tested section. Also words vs data... Whoever tested could be quite sensitive to tearing for it to be constant.

c0de

Better hardware performs better than the other hardware, nothing surprising here.
Both look good and perform bad while the better hardware has more frames but also can't reach a stable framerate.
Perhaps 2016 will perform like a next gen game or they will give the option to lock the framerate.

Putty

Better hardware performs better than the other hardware, nothing surprising here.
Both look good and perform bad while the better hardware has more frames but also can't reach a stable framerate.
Perhaps 2016 will perform like a next gen game or they will give the option to lock the framerate.

Disagree with this. Stable enough to become a non issue. Have you played the PS4 version for any period of time? You know, just out of interest...

They should have dropped ps4 to 900p too. probably would have kept locked 60fps that way. But this of course wouldnt have gone down well with the LOL 900p crowd

c0de

Disagree with this. Stable enough to become a non issue. Have you played the PS4 version for any period of time? You know, just out of interest...

Stable enough is not objective in any way. It is not locked 60 so not stable. If it isn't an issue for you, fine. Doesn't make it anymore stable by numbers.
How much did you play the xbone version? Perhaps it is also stable enough for you? You know, just out of interest...

FranXico

Neither console version is running at 900p, it seems. Both run at a vertical resolution of 1080p:

UPDATE 11/7/15 2:00pm: A closer look at F1 2015 suggests that the Xbox One version of F1 2015 is actually running at 1440x1080, not the 900p the developer has previously suggested. It's an extra eight per cent of resolution over 900p, but more importantly, it limits upscaling artefacts to the horizontal axis only, in part explaining why image quality looks better than expected. We've also revised our comments on texture filtering as the situation here is a little more complex than previously thought.

Putty

Stable enough is not objective in any way. It is not locked 60 so not stable. If it isn't an issue for you, fine. Doesn't make it anymore stable by numbers.
How much did you play the xbone version? Perhaps it is also stable enough for you? You know, just out of interest...

What are you getting frosty for?

Putty

Why do i need to play the XB1 version? I chose the PS4 version so anything else is of no concequence.

shandy706

Another "sim" racer I'm not buying on consoles it seems.

Dear Developers, if you're making a racing sim....hit 60fps solid.

Not touching this or PCars on PS4 or X1.

c0de

Why do i need to play the XB1 version? I chose the PS4 version so anything else is of no concequence.

In a tech thread it's of close to no use to say “stable enough (for me)“ when we have data that it is not stable.
This is like arguing “I can't see a difference between different resolutions“ when one evidently has way more pixels on screen.
Some are sensitive to resolution, some to fps, some to both and some don't even care at all. But that doesn't change the data in any way.

Javin98

Banned
So it looks like the resolution of the XB1 version is really 1080pr. I had a feeling it was not as blurry as 900p.

Putty

In a tech thread it's of close to no use to say “stable enough (for me)“ when we have data that it is not stable.
This is like arguing “I can't see a difference between different resolutions“ when one evidently has way more pixels on screen.
Some are sensitive to resolution, some to fps, some to both and some don't even care at all. But that doesn't change the data in any way.

Not really no. If i'd of said i can't notice any slowdown or tearing then it would be comparable to your resolution line.

Putty

I'll ask again, have you actually played the PS4 version? Or have you just played the numbers game?

Top Bottom