• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC/PS4/XB1)

I honestly can't see much difference between PS4 and PC versions but the difference between PS4 and XB1 is huge but that's to be expected given the gulf in hardware power between the two.

7DN5qvw.gif

Perfectly encapsulates the spirit of every DF thread on GAF.

Damn straight! I just love seeing that scrappy little card produce good results again and again. I can't wait to see its successor, if Nvidia doesn't pull any punches it could end up powering a whole generation of living room PCs.

That's what I'm running it on right now (Alienware Alpha). The biggest draw is just the flexibility to tweak the graphics settings as you can do more with less on a PC.

Just as an example, I really think the PS4 people would hugely benefit if they had the option to drop the game's resolution down to 900p and max out the graphics settings.

On the 750ti, I am getting 30+ with most set to Ultra, including HBAO+, AA applied and 16x AF.

It was truly worth sacrificing a few pixels in this case.

Nzyme32

The 750Ti is also backed up by an i7 processor and 16GB RAM.

But ignore all that. OH WOW 750Ti OMG BBQ OF WTF

The Op and article say the used an i3 and 750ti and used the same settings (that they think they see) on the ps4 and got the same results and frame rates. What the hell do you think I'm referring to?

Running through the game using our preferred budget PC set-up, featuring a Core i3 4130 and an Nvidia GTX 750 Ti, we found that we could achieve visual quality and frame-rates equivalent to the PS4 version of the game

wachie

The Op and article say the used an i3 and 750ti and used the same settings (that they think they see) on the ps4 and got the same results and frame rates. What the hell do you think I'm referring to?
Misread that, my apologies.

i3 is still much much much better than the console CPUs.

Kinthalis

Banned
keep in mind this is ultra, not high.

The ps4 having a mix of mid and high was to be expected was it not?

And low. And it was expected by a fair number of rational people on this board. But not eveyrone on this board is rational when it comes to these consoles.

For a list of who, take a look at the 750ti i3 witcher thread.

Oh man, I just read those digitalfoundry comments. Hilarious, ALL of them have to do with the price of the PC ($2,600, $2,000!!, $4,000!!!!) vs the console. So funny.

Nzyme32

Misread that, my apologies.

i3 is still much much much better than the console CPUs.

No worries, but yeah I get that. I don't know what an equivalent CPU would be and I'd take a guess that Windows and dx would be a bit more demanding than how the ps4 runs it

Biggest differences to me are NPC count and shadow draw distance.
The added contrast from shadows adds a lot to the overall look of the world and I think that really takes away from some panoramas on consoles.

Overall the game looks pretty good on Ps4, but even at 1080p with some basic AA I feel like the foliage, especially in the distance, would benefit a lot from higher resolution. This must be even worse on XboxOne.

Framerate also isn't good on Ps4. It often feels sluggish to me during combat and sometimes it straight up tanks and I'm usually not someone who is particularly sensitive when it comes to framerate.

I hope they fix framerate on consoles. Maybe they cen even get the shadow draw distance up a bit or improve the NPC density.

Can you name a single open world game on the consoles that doesn't ever dip below 30fps?

Infamous Second Son never dipped below 30FPS, at least not during gameplay.(Afaik it only dropped below 30 when you performed a special attack, but during that time you didn't have control anyway.)
First Light was even better in the framerate department.

Zakalwe

Banned
I made these amendments to the config file.

Code:
[Rendering] 
GrassDensity=3600
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=0.5
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=4 
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=4 
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=3
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=3 
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=8 
CascadeShadowQuality=4

[Rendering/SpeedTree] 
FoliageDistanceScale=2
GrassDistanceScale=4
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=108

Many of these are set to 1 on Ultra, so in some cases I've tripled or quadrupled. My performance hit is heavier for that reason. But lower values (still higher than ultra) aren't bad. Check the Geforce tweak guide for examples.

What are your system specs?

Ape

Banned
Dude i build a pc for myself every couple of years, i know how much it costs, and its not insignificant.
That said i will be getting Witcher 3 and most multi plaform games on PC, once the next VR focused gen of gfx card come out, that have more vram than the consoles.

Ah, I got you. Yeah, I think that somewhere said the Oculus had crazy minimum requirements.

Infamous Second Son never dipped below 30FPS, at least not during gameplay.(Afaik it only dropped below 30 when you performed a special attack, but during that time you didn't have control anyway.)
First Light was even better in the framerate department.

come on man

DOWN

Banned
Nobody cares if PS4 is medium, low, etc. It's how poorly it performs and how unimpressive the graphics are among current gen only games.

This quality in the graphics is just not competitive and it doesn't perform above the peers either. For a foliage heavy game, I'm surprised how poorly it compares to GTA V, Inquisition, and even Black Flag foliage LOD. Here we go again (in that fugly armor we've all tried):
18000600451_c9e18cf216_o.jpg

nib95

Banned
It's a pretty solid 30fps post-patch 1.09, which is most certainly better than the inconsistent performance in the ps4 version of The Witcher 3.

Lol. Why don't we wait till we have that many patch iterations to Witcher 3, if that's the barometer for comparison?

Zakalwe

Banned
It's got some lovely art and atmosphere, but people will have to excuse me if that's not what I comment on in a graphics thread. For those who don't mind the graphics, enjoy it. I mind how poorly I find it compares to other games graphically on PS4. Let alone PC.

Show me an open world game that compares.

/Obviously/ games with more confined structures will have the potential to look better.

thelastword

Banned
Absolutely agree. It seems many visual cutbacks are the norm, Dying Light for instance featured less dynamic lights on consoles compared to PC.
That was improved in a patch for the consoles.

Kezen said:
On PC and that remains to be proven. The point of contention is Hairworks and consoles don't have it.

You can't damage control by saying consoles were affected as well.
Consoles were never going to have hairworks, these are AMD machines.

Is res really the only difference between the two consoles? That XB1 image looks especially blurry to me.
The XB1 also has worse texture filtering and the AA methods muddies it's muddy image even more. The temporal AA is having some issues with the subnative image, affecting clarity.

I didn't just magically shop up a pic. It's from the game and it looked like that all day long in game in White Orchard. And I used USB upload to sidestep a layer of compression, not much more I can do and clarity is hardly the issue with the graphics. I haven't bothered to take more images because it frankly isn't inspiring me and has no photo mode for whatever reason, but apparently I'll have to. I'm not the type who can pretend the bad graphics aren't there. There are certainly times when the art stands out, but no way in hell is that shot a worst case scenario for the graphics. That's a desperate excuse.
I've seen better shots on the PS4, however, what was expected from the Witcher 3 graphically is not exactly what we got. I'm still waiting on further analysis, but if it is that stuff like textures are not at least ultra on the PS4, then there were some really bad decisions made for the port, the PS4 has enough memory to handle such textures.

Agreed. Already you're seeing even PS4 be outclassed with low/medium specs and builds, I'd say it won't be long until both consoles left in the dust by what PC is capable of.
I don't think it makes sense to say such a thing, especially with games that could use some extra development time or make better use of the console hardware. Some decisions here are really mind-boggling and there's no doubt that the game needs a couple of patches to sort things out. I mean cutscenes fall to the teens in the PS4 version, they're using vsync with double buffering is very strange and if they're not using the best textures on PS4, these are all very strange decisions.

So many current gen games use HBAO on the PS4, not here, highest end textures on PC have been common on so many current-gen console releases as well, not here. Yes, it needs some work.

SOOO happy that I'll play this on PC. If you are an enthusiast like me (let's face it, if you're on GAF you probably are) then do yourself a favor and experience this game the way it was meant to be played. On PC. Don't settle for low density NPCs, shitty shadows, LOW settings mixed in with medium. Get something with actual teeth. Get a BEAST. Buy a PC.
I thought this was a comparison thread, not a pc sales thread.

Seanspeed

Banned
Nobody cares if PS4 is medium, low, etc. It's how poorly it performs and how unimpressive the graphics are among current gen only games.

This quality in the graphics is just not competitive and it doesn't perform above the peers either. Started it up again (in that fugly armor we've all tried):
It is also doing things on a much grander scale than its peers, with aspects like no loading screens for buildings/towns that its peers are also not doing.

As for 'nobody cares', well, you should probably speak for yourself, especially as a very outspoken critic in this area. I've seen plenty of people quite happy with how their game looks on console.

Kinthalis

Banned

This quality in the graphics is just not competitive and it doesn't perform above the peers either. For a foliage heavy game, I'm surprised how poorly it compares to GTA V, Inquisition, and even Black Flag foliage LOD. Here we go again (in that fugly armor we've all tried):

Wow, that looks horrendous. the PC version looks WAY better, and I'm not playing at all ultra. AF and some of the other settings make a huge difference.

sinnergy

They don't mention horrible and constant camera judder/stuttering on PS4 (I don't know if it's also present on XOne) ._.

I captured a video using share on my PS4.
Take a look at the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0bdLblqI04&feature=youtu.be&t=2m30s

Notice just how bad the camera is stuttering all the time

I do, I also notice, that you rotate the camera at a insane rate, making me dizzy...
Your example is an extreme example, almost no one plays the game like this.

Not that they don't need to fix it, they do.

This article pushed me over to get the PS4, version btw.

Zakalwe

Banned
Agreed. The PS4 version still holds up to the PC version on Ultra quite well

I find petty arguments about the disparity between console/PC to be pointless, I mean items obvious better tech = better results, but there's no way the ps4 "holds up quite well" to ultra settings.

It looks nice on ps4 when we consider the quality of the tech involved, but it pales significantly to the PC version. This is before you consider the PC can run at significantly higher frame rates and resolutions.

Will Smith: Where da shadows at??

This is a huge difference imo. The added shadows really add to the scene, in comparison the ps4 looks weird, the trees in the background don't look right or nice. Even the lighting looks like it's on a whole nother level.

And for the record I own it on ps4.

That's what I'm running it on right now (Alienware Alpha). The biggest draw is just the flexibility to tweak the graphics settings as you can do more with less on a PC.

Just as an example, I really think the PS4 people would hugely benefit if they had the option to drop the game's resolution down to 900p and max out the graphics settings.

On the 750ti, I am getting 30+ with most set to Ultra, including HBAO+, AA applied and 16x AF.

It was truly worth sacrificing a few pixels in this case.

Nice! And yeah, options are great. Judging from some posts in the previous Witcher 3 DF thread it seems quite a few people would agree. I saw people saying that 900p with better quality and framerate would have been preferable to 1080p. Obviously others will disagree, which is why it's nice to have options :)

Also, kudos to Digital Foundry for another great face-off article. Their PC coverage has improved by leaps and bounds to the point where they test multiple hardware configurations, multiple quality presets and even overclocked setups. I especially like the fact that they use real-world PC builds to judge real-world performance instead of only pairing monster CPUs with various cards. Impressive work, well done DF crew!

I cringe every time I see a new DF face-off article thread and this thread is no exception. While I understand what DF is doing with these articles I always feel like people take the information and use it the wrong way. It always devolves into people flinging crap at each other over their console of choice or PC mustard race talk.

It looks outstanding to me on PC at 1080p and mostly Ultra settings, and from what I've seen the console versions are not that far off. For the hardware in each box I think CDPR did a fantastic job.

Its like people who have the game on PS4 or X1 will say how beautiful it is for the first week, then once the DF face off drops everyone is saying how ugly a game is on console. Same routine every time. And most of it is differences people wouldn't even notice without being told.

These articles are fine to help those who own both consoles decide on which version to purchase, but otherwise just play the game...sheesh.

omonimo

Banned
I find petty arguments about the disparity between console/PC to be pointless, I mean items obvious better tech = better results, but there's no way the ps4 "holds up quite well" to ultra settings.

It looks nice on ps4 when we consider the quality of the tech involved, but it pales significantly to the PC version. This is before you consider the PC can run at significantly higher frame rates and resolutions.
If you consider the difference in the hrdware specs ps4 holds up quite well indeed. Fps indeed sometimes it's really disappointing.

AngryMoth

I haven't been reading or posting in any of the witcher threads so I don't know what the deal is with the 'downgrade' or anything.

I'm playing on ps4 and seems like quite a mixed bag to me. There are times when it looks spectacular, particularly at dawn and dusk, but when you're out in the open the draw distance and low LOD in the distance looks pretty bad I think.

gdt

I'm soooo stoked my new PC is tearing this game up. It's gorgeous.

Running ultra without hair works and the blurs at 60fps. Drops to 55ish here are there but not very often.

Thank you tri x 290oc.

Zakalwe

Banned
It looks outstanding to me on PC at 1080p and mostly Ultra settings, and from what I've seen the console versions are not that far off.

Oh, come on now.

If you consider the difference in the hrdware specs ps4 holds up quite well indeed. Fps indeed sometimes it's really disappointing.

"If you consider".

Yes it's relative to the tech, that's obvious. It doesn't change the fact the end result difference is large so saying thing like "ps4 holds up to pc ultra" or "the difference between ps4 and PC isn't that large" is just dishonest.

Can you name a single open world game on the consoles that doesn't ever dip below 30fps? On the whole W3's console performance is well above average, it's just the frame pacing and buffering/v-sync that is a problem. Shadow quality also seems comparable in most instances to PC ultra, on all but more ranged objects.

I don't personally think the game is particularly awe inspiring graphically, but I think a large part of that is because I dislike the overly colourful and cartoony art style.

On a side note, I've not had any issues with small text. I suppose it depends on the size of your TV.

Forza Horizon 2 is LOCKED and Second Son IIRC.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
"Holds up quite well" is the new "1080p is only a slightly higher resolution than 720p." Whatever helps, I guess.

It's not all great in PC Land, though. I cranked up the settings and locked the framerate to 30 but the stuttering made it almost unplayable. Not a big deal for me since I'd rather play at 60, but it ain't perfect.

Oh, come on now.

"If you consider".

Yes it's replace to the tech, that's obvious. It doesn't change the fact he difference is large so saying thing like "ps4 holds up to pc ultra" or "the difference between ps4 and PC isn't that large" is just dishonest.

Considering the hardware in each box, I think they did a good job of trying to match a lot of the high/ultra settings on PC. Compromises were made in spots, but in comparison footage between PS4 and PC I wouldn't say the difference is huge.

Zakalwe

Banned
Considering the hardware in each box, I think they did a good job of trying to match a lot of the high/ultra settings on PC. Compromises were made in spots, but in comparison footage between PS4 and PC I wouldn't say the difference is huge.

I don't know how to respond to this. My eyes must work differently to yours, I guess.

I do, I also notice, that you rotate the camera at a insane rate, making me dizzy...
Your example is an extreme example, almost no one plays the game like this.

Not that they don't need to fix it, they do.

This article pushed me over to get the PS4, version btw.

What ? This is turning camera at the half speed.
Even when not touching the camera and just riding the horse you get stutters since camera is automatically adjusting.

And from other videos I can see the same going on in PC version. There is something fundamentally broken with camera movement.

Kinthalis

Banned
"Holds up quite well" is the new "1080p is only a slightly higher resolution than 720p." Whatever helps, I guess.

It's not all great in PC Land, though. I cranked up the settings and locked the framerate to 30 but the stuttering made it almost unplayable. Not a big deal for me since I'd rather play at 60, but it ain't perfect.

Frame pacing is solid if you are using Riva tuner server (comes with MSI afterburner) to lock the frame rate. I locked mine at 40 FPS, and it feels super smooth in borderless window mode.

Momentary

Banned
I think these PC gamers are really grasping at straws to try and validate their expensive hardware purchases. Aside from shadows, LOD, crowd density, textures, and framerate there really isn't a difference here.

omonimo

Banned
Oh, come on now.

"If you consider".

Yes it's relative to the tech, that's obvious. It doesn't change the fact the end result difference is large so saying thing like "ps4 holds up to pc ultra" or "the difference between ps4 and PC isn't that large" is just dishonest.
It's dishonest consider ps4 hold up well compared the ultra setting on pc with the difference in the specs? Wat

Lulubop

"Just crisper textures".

"Holds up well"

Omonimo, and thelastword right on time.

Yea, it's a DF thread alright.

Now I'm interested in some Ini. tweaking.

Top Bottom