• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Latest Assassin's Creed Unity patch boosts performance

ironcreed

Banned
Those of you that have owned the game since day one, how much improvement have you noticed in the frequency of frame drops?

It only dropped for me every now and then anyway, but it seems to be more smoothed out overall based on what I have played. It's nothing like Blight Town in Dark Souls or anything, lol.

Remark

Banned
Damn, Black Flag was so good performance-wise and looked pretty good too. While I can't argue that Unity looks better, they could have toned it down a bit if it meant we would get locked 30.

Hoje0308

Banned
It only dropped for me every now and then anyway, but it seems to be more smoothed out overall based on what I have played. It's nothing like Blight Town in Dark Souls or anything, lol.

Well, that's good to know! I prefer to stay on rooftops anyway, so I'm hoping I'll be spared the majority of the performance issues if and when I pick up Unity.

ypo

i dont know if it was posted already but to complement the thread NX Gamer

http://youtu.be/Xdji6gQHp4I

Haha so DF purposely held back on footage where the PS4 version goes way above 30fps. What a scam DF has become.

edit: PS4 version has better framerate handling large crowds post patch. Up to 5fps PS4 advantage. Thank you CPU boost.

k1yD1GN.png

gruenel

On my PC, which actually has a decent, midrange (although 5 years old) CPU, 2500K@4ghz, I never ever drop below 30fps, and that is in 1080p and mixture of high/ultra.

The 2500K was released less than 4 years ago, don't make shit up to validate your point.

Kysen

On my PC, which actually has a decent, midrange (although 5 years old) CPU, 2500K@4ghz, I never ever drop below 30fps, and that is in 1080p and mixture of high/ultra.

Wow this is a first, bragging about 30fps on PC. Setting the bar that low might as well be playing on console.

Why is it so hard to patch the PS4 version, it just has a bunch of performance-degrading DO loops added due to Microsoft moneyhats?

(that's a joke; and it's also a joke on humanity that some people believe that)

I'm holding off on this, I'm thinking at some point the framerate will be even better and the price will be even lower.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Haha so DF purposely held back on footage where the PS4 version goes way above 30fps. What a scam DF has become.
I knew it was going above 30fps and people laughed at me.

Denton

Wow this is a first, bragging about 30fps on PC. Setting the bar that low might as well be playing on console.

I was not bragging, but describing how it runs on a PC. Framerate never dipping below 30 (with 45+ in averages, if left unlocked) is fairly far from the 17-30 on console.
On release the game ran like dog on PC too though, on AMD cards. It took new Omega drivers to double the framerate. This patch increased framerate extremely mildly, almost unnoticeably.

Of course, with a more powerful hardware how you can't ? But it's not my point. Blame the console hardware when this game it's a buggy mess until four patches,seems really unfair, considering it struggle even in a monster rig.

The thing is...we do not know if the game is badly optimized, or if it is as optimized as it can get and the hardware performance simply isn't there to power it. They could probably get that stable 30 on consoles and 60 on PC, if they downgraded it. I would even welcome it, since 60 is so much more pleasant for me.

The 2500K was released less than 4 years ago, don't make shit up to validate your point.

I wasn't "making shit up" (why so hostile?), I misremembered. Thanks for correcting me, I actually bought it in february 2011 for $250 so yes, that will be 4 years in two months. Still quite old.

dan2026

Why the hell did they have these huge crowds of npcs when the engine clearly cannot cope with them?

Its not rocket science. These developers need to engage their damn brains.

vpance

Sounds like you got a huge CPU boost.

Anyway looks like PS4 got a nice CPU boost.

awesome sauce.

Somehow the game seems less ambitious now that it's not chugging as much though. Lost some respect for Ubi here.

I knew it was going above 30fps and people laughed at me.

I never saw DF point out the PS4 running unlocked as high as 45 fps with the XBO locked at 30. Tells me there could have been lots of room for optimization on PS4 to lock it down at a more consistent 30 IMO... Oh well, they are probably done patching it so we will never know..

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Probably because it hits 40+fps when you're climbing a building and 60% of the screen is empty sky. In other words, it's basically irrelevant.

omonimo

Banned
I was not bragging, but describing how it runs on a PC. Framerate never dipping below 30 (with 45+ in averages, if left unlocked) is fairly far from the 17-30 on console.
On release the game ran like dog on PC too though, on AMD cards. It took new Omega drivers to double the framerate. This patch increased framerate extremely mildly, almost unnoticeably.

The thing is...we do not know if the game is badly optimized, or if it is as optimized as it can get and the hardware performance simply isn't there to power it. They could probably get that stable 30 on consoles and 60 on PC, if they downgraded it. I would even welcome it, since 60 is so much more pleasant for me.

I wasn't "making shit up" (why so hostile?), I misremembered. Thanks for correcting me, I actually bought it in february 2011 for $250 so yes, that will be 4 years in two months. Still quite old.
Considering the tons of bug this game had at launch, I don't know how can be well optimized.

Struct09

I started playing again on PS4 last night, and it definitely feels smoother. And I remembered how much I actually like the game itself - the assassination missions in this are a blast.

ypo

Probably because it hits 40+fps when you're climbing a building and 60% of the screen is empty sky. In other words, it's basically irrelevant.

I know what u mean bruh, technical analysis is totally about subjective irrelevancy.

totally empty, hi five!

AXXFcLV.png

Crayon

Has an NXgamer video ever gotten it's own thread? Because he's becoming a pretty nice "compliment" to df face-offs.

You know nobody's perfect. Everyone can miss stuff.

espher

Because virtually every other game I've played so far this generation is either a cross-gen game or could have been one.

This game probably should have been, since it's not much of a current-gen one, either. It might have kept them from overstepping their boundaries.

I'll definitely be waiting and watching for the next AC game.

Denton

Considering the tons of bug this game had at launch, I don't know how can be well optimized.

Bugs and optimization or lack thereof are two distinct things, they don't necessarily have anything to do with each other.
In any case, the game is pretty bug free now anyway.

CozMick

Banned
Has an NXgamer video ever gotten it's own thread? Because he's becoming a pretty nice "compliment" to df face-offs.

Not sure DF could miss an unlocked framerate on ps4 and fps parity post-patch.

edit: PS4 version has better framerate handling large crowds post patch. Up to 5fps PS4 advantage. Thank you CPU boost.

k1yD1GN.png

.....not sure if you're joking.

DjRalford

Obligatory cherry-picked example.

f5WuMav.jpg

The game definitely feels smoother overall, but that still sucks. Look at how consistently shitty the framerate is in those seconds.

This should not be accepted, that kind of framerate on either platform is completely unacceptable in this day and age.

Crayon

Not sure DF could miss an unlocked framerate on ps4 and fps parity post-patch.

Hey well you know. Mistakes happen. lol. I'm surprised there aren't more alternatives than NXgamer but he seems to do an alright job for just one guy. It's not wise to give over all the authority to a single outlet like df. There needs to be some competition.

So you are blind, cool nothing wrong with that.

Think about this rationally....What the hell does DF have to gain by "holding back" footage to make one version look better than the other if it actually wasn't? DF has rated the PS4 versions of games the best on console a bunch of times.

ypo

Think about this rationally....What the hell does DF have to gain by "editing" footage to make one version look better than the other if it actually wasn't?

lol you can't serious can you? Tell me this how the hell did they miss all these parts where PS4 version goes above 30? Tell me why did they alter the screenshots of PS4 version of Metro to make them look worse? All these *mistakes* only happened to PS versions of games.

Actullay they did made a *mistake* about a Xbone game though, totally missed sustained massive framedrops in Far Cry 4, but *just happened* to record the one second drop in the PS4 version.

lol you can't serious can you? Tell me this how the hell did they miss all these parts where PS4 version goes above 30? Tell me why did they alter the screenshots of PS4 version of Metro? All these *mistakes* only happened to PS versions of games.

Actullay they did made a *mistake* about a Xbone game though, totally missed sustained massive framedrops in Far Cry 4, but *just happened* to record the one second drop in the PS4 version.

So microsoft is paying them off?

Elandyll

Banned
lol you can't serious can you? Tell me this how the hell did they miss all these parts where PS4 version goes above 30? Tell me why did they alter the screenshots of PS4 version of Metro? All these *mistakes* only happen to PS versions of games.

The editing .. well.. cherry picking things is one thing (not that I agree with it, but it's like a white lie by omission). I'd even go as far as saying that when they were caught swapping one version for another of another game a while ago (seemingly always to the benefit of the XB) but got caught due to key prompts, it was probably a mistake. But do we have proof of that?

That is a damn serious accusation imo.

ypo

The editing .. well.. cherry picking things is one thing (not that I agree with it, but it's like a white lie by omission). But do we have proof of that?

That is a damn serious accusation imo.

They did, after being pointed they quickly swapped in the *correct* version of the exact same screenshots. Since it took them no time to swap in, that only means they had the correct version all along, which also means they purposely altered the screenshots.

edit: they also had the correct screenshots in a prior article where they didn't compare PS4 to Xbone.

BigDug13

lol you can't serious can you? Tell me this how the hell did they miss all these parts where PS4 version goes above 30? Tell me why did they alter the screenshots of PS4 version of Metro to make them look worse? All these *mistakes* only happened to PS versions of games.

As for the Unity framerates. Was DF's article about Unity in its pre-day-one-patch state? NX Gamer's unlocked framerate on PS4 video was when sticking the game disc in and NOT patching it. Once you patched the game, the framerates got locked. Are you absolutely sure that DF's original face off video was from a pre-patched state and therefore got edited to give a pro MS bias?

SerTapTap

...people aren't seriously believing Sony overclocked their CPU 10% for a third party single title, post launch, without a firmware update I might add, on a console that now has >10 million units in consumers homes? It's not the damn CPU. Unity was just broken. It's less broken, so it runs better. No conspiracies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I still don't get how the framerate on XBO holds up that much better than on PS4. The difference is still larger than that of the CPU clock difference and they're running the same visual settings.

Elandyll

Banned
...people aren't seriously believing Sony overclocked their CPU 10% for a third party single title, post launch, without a firmware update I might add, on a console that now has >10 million units in consumers homes? It's not the damn CPU.

I think "that's the joke", as DF was placing the XB1 avantage over the PS4 version at release squarely on the "CPU boost". To their credit, that was also the apparent explanation by Ubi as well.

I still don't get how the framerate on XBO holds up that much better than on PS4. The difference is still larger than that of the CPU clock difference and they're running the same visual settings.

Where?

In the NXGamer video they look pretty much identical.
Edit: Ah, the DF video. Funny the framerate of the NXGamer video seem so much more stable in every instance (roofs or crowds) than in the DF video, for both machines. Wonder why...

DjRalford

...people aren't seriously believing Sony overclocked their CPU 10% for a single title, without a firmware update I might add, on a console that now has >10 million units in consumers homes? It's not the damn CPU.

Given the framerate discrepancies are over the percentage of difference of the CPU's I'd say it was more poor optimisation than any hardware difference.

martino

i have more faith in technical choice and editorial independance of df than tehcnical choice and independance choice of a networked youtuber....

Top Bottom