• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Latest Assassin's Creed Unity patch boosts performance

I don't know why some people are desperately pushing those terrible, terrible nxgamer videos in Digital Foundry threads.
What's wrong with it?

I thought it explained the performance pre patch vs post patch pretty well.

It looks a lot better in general play now from those videos.

Crayon

I don't know why some people are desperately pushing those terrible, terrible nxgamer videos in Digital Foundry threads.

Put your thinking cap on. ;) DF showdowns are super popular. It's not a surprise at all that an alternative would get attention. If NXGamer is that bad, he'll have a short time in the limelight until someone better comes along.

omonimo

Banned
Bugs and optimization or lack thereof are two distinct things, they don't necessarily have anything to do with each other.
In any case, the game is pretty bug free now anyway.
Not at all. If they haven't the time to avoid evident bug for launch, I don't know how can have optimized the fps at the best, considering the tons of variables to test in such game. Seems simple math to me. In any case still xbone has advantages in performance and it's not normal. I think the cpu overclocked advantage matter can rest in peace, because it's quite proved it can't lead evident fps advantage such minuscule upgrade.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Can you explain exactly why they're not only terrible, but apparently "terrible, terrible"?
He's got a good eye for details but often improperly identifies methods used. I like his videos for pointing out little things but it's not a reliable tech analysis.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I know what u mean bruh, technical analysis is totally about subjective irrelevancy.

totally empty, hi five!

AXXFcLV.png

This is an extremely marginal gameplay case, and half the screen is still skybox. If PS4 was hitting 45fps in the middle of heavy action sequences it would be far more interesting and relevant.

Elandyll

Banned
He's got a good eye for details but often improperly identifies methods used. I like his videos for pointing out little things but it's not a reliable tech analysis.

Would you call DF reliable, regardless if you consider they have a personal bias or not?

Vizzeh

Banned
This doesn't surprise me from digital foundry, there is a market out there to be exploited where technical analysis can be the beacon for GAF + gamers to judge the game and pass on the findings to their gamer subordinates
insert humour
for that definitive edition, Is there cash to be made by their ingenious findings or are they legit?? who knows. One thing is for sure, a monopoly of anything is anti-consumer and can breed deception/corruption.

Regardless if their findings are factual or deceptive, quite a few stories this gen have found their wording to congratulate minor differences for the X1 platform and undermine or trivialize some of the PS4 versions.

ypo

This is an extremely marginal gameplay case, and half the screen is still skybox. If PS4 was hitting 45fps in the middle of heavy action sequences it would be far more interesting and relevant.

I know what u mean. Who cares about climbing in a game about climbing and stuff. Let's not let facts get in the way of subjectivity.

Cuyejo

Of course it is irrelevant, DF only cares about relevant things, yessir, just like how they ignored the removed god rays in FC4 PS4 post first patch and called the Xbone version the one with more stable frame rate when that's completely untrue. DF is truly the beacon of truth and impartiality.

That's some v.g.chartz level misinformation if DF actually missed the unlocked frame rate.

Em, well, DF does use FCAt. I have a hard time imaginging they missed something like an unlocked framerate perhaps.

Then again, I donthave this game to test out.. let alone an FCAT setup!

Wow, where did those 3 extra frames per second came from? I thought the PS4 CPU couldn't do more compared to the vastly superior XB1 CPU...

/s

Yeah, that whole explanation is bs. While the CPU is clocked 150 mhz faster on x1, x1 is contending with a less efficient memory subsystem lacking hsa/hUMA, more overhead from its OSes, and significantly less GPU & GPGPU power. The difference that was there (which now doesn't exist post patch) was more likely due to the B team working on the ps4 version and being behind on optimization relative to other platforms.

jackdoe

Yeah, that whole explanation is bs. While the CPU is clocked 150 mhz faster on x1, x1 is contending with a less efficient memory subsystem lacking hsa/hUMA, more overhead from its OSes, and significantly less GPU & GPGPU power. The difference that was there (which now doesn't exist post patch) was more likely due to the B team working on the ps4 version and being behind on optimization relative to other platforms.
It's kind of obvious considering how significant the performance increase was on the PS4 compared to the much smaller gains on the Xbox One after the Unity team spent an additional month optimizing the game.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I know what u mean. Who cares about climbing in a game about climbing and stuff. Let's not let facts get in the way of subjectivity.

It's analoguous to finding an empty corridor in an FPS game that runs at 60fps when every shootout in the game runs at 25fps. It's totally irrelevant to the gameplay, because there's nothing happening there.

But sure, it's really important that in some marginal cases where there's no meaningful gameplay or interaction, the framerate goes above 30fps. They should have included 4 or 5 paragraphs about it in the technical analysis.

jackdoe

It's analoguous to finding an empty corridor in an FPS game that runs at 60fps when every shootout in the game runs at 25fps. It's totally irrelevant to the gameplay, because there's nothing happening there.

But sure, it's really important that in some marginal cases where there's no meaningful gameplay or interaction, the framerate goes above 30fps. They should have included 4 or 5 paragraphs about it in the technical analysis.
Actually, it would make for an interesting article speculating as to how far along the PS4 version actually was if it went gold with an unlocked framerate. Take for example the DF article about The Evil Within unpatched on the PS4.

Top Bottom