• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Let's Play Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Wonder what the bottleneck is for this to be 900p where stuff like MK8 and FAST have bumped up to 1080p(although in both cases FAST is sub-native and doing temporal stuff).

Aren't there reports of greater foliage and draw distance when docked? It looks like they opted to go for some improved visuals due to the larger screen over higher resolution. Which seems short sighted.

Astral Dog

Is that guy in the video really asking why Zelda docked is running at 900p and MK8 running at 1080p?
Erm.......maybe because Zelda is a huge open world game with tons of physics?
Yeah but the Switch is supposed to be top of the line Maxwell tech Nvidia 500 Man Years 4GB RAM 4X Fan on Dock,etc. If it can't handle a Wii U @900p what does that tell us?

Remember the early leaks calling 900p graphics at 60 fps on Switch?

Im sure handheld mode will look lovely however

That means something different than the Switch version actually being compared to the Wii U version. That was just an old build of the game that happened to be running on the Wii U.

Won't be able to make accurate comparisons until launch, unless Nintendo wants to let people play the Wii U version before then.

Also, Wii U version has gamepad support, right? That's a plus.
it was only in that gameplay reveal at the game awards a few years back that the Wii U version had second screen support.

Rodin

Gamespot

giphy.gif

Worried about the Wii U version

720p 30fps with dips worse textures/draw distance/shadows

3D zelda games never, ever, ever, ever target 60FPS. This has been by design since OOT. I don't know why anyone ever expects them to be 60.

Well, does Link Between Worlds count? They made a big deal about targeting and achieving 60fps in that game. But that's a 3D Zelda the way Super Mario 3D World is a 3D Mario.

That said, it was plainly obvious this game would never be 60fps.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sounds pretty good - hope the framedrops will be as rare in the final build.

LordKano

I'm really glad the framerate got mostly fixed. I'm happy with how the game looks since E3. The framerate was my only big problems. It's still not quite locked, but it is finally a playable game.

spekkeh

Banned
Game looks beautiful, framerate is really solid too. Unless the Wii U version changed considerably in the last two months, the Switch version is vastly superior.

-shadow-

Can't wait for the full analysis. Really impressed with the game so far.

Edit: So the Splatoon 2 screenshots are accurate at 720p? What the hell!?

The shimmering is insane in these Switch games. I wish Nintendo would take stuff like that (aa) more seriously. Their own tv screens in stores are indeed always horrible. Waaaaayyy too much sharpening making the jaggies even more noticeable.

Anyway, gameplay and world look amazing.

Watching the video they say that the drops mostly happen when there's depth of field from combat on the screen, or large transparent effects.

Watching the footage its smooth 30 every other moment of the gameplay.

Alienous

I'm interested in how well the Wii U version runs by comparison. The Switch might beat it in terms of specs, but it's playing a port of the game (assuming the Wii U version remained lead SKU throughout development) so I wonder how that might impact the performance.

13ruce

Banned
Holy shit, what? Are you serious? Have they made this information widely available? Because this is the first time I'm hearing about it.

Haven't heard anything since they showed off gamepad support back in 2014, and just assumed it was still in.

Fucking Nintendo.

Was confirmed at the last e3.

If the Wii U version doesn't have too bad of framedrops I'm comfortable going with that and holding off on the switch for a while

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Devs *can* choose to use the handheld clocks in docked mode.
I see, but what dev in their right mind would chose base clocks over higher clocks? Why would you NOT use the full potential of the actual hardware? Just seems very very strange to me.

When I'll finally get my hands on Zelda I'll be playing this 95% in handheld mode. For a handheld game it looks awesome. For a 2017 home console game, not so much (tech-wise, art style is stil amazing).

Tecnniqe

Banned
I see, but what dev in their right mind would chose base clocks over higher clocks? Why would you NOT use the full potential of the actual hardware? Just seems very very strange to me.

Maybe they already are and just scale visuals docked?

KingV

It looks pretty great in terms of graphic style. When undocked, it's pretty damn great for a portable. But isn't locked the gpu gets like 2x boost in power or something? Wonder why the 900p when docked.

Some of the leaked unreal engine profiles showed that other settings are also compromised when going undocked.

I suspect that the smaller screen size and lower resolution help mask that and it's difficult to really see the thst the other settings are being sacrificed.

In other words, when docked you are actually getting more than JUST the resolution boost, even if it is hard to tell.

That said, this thing is pretty impressive when you consider the size and that it's portable.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

maybe the game is still in development and the docked mode was not stable enough for such an event?

or there is another reason and we will only get 720p. who knows. splatoon 2 is months away.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Maybe they already are and just scale visuals docked?
And 720p docked is the best they currently have for Splatoon 2? Disappointing as fuck if true.

maybe the game is still in development and the docked mode was not stable enough for such an event?

or there is another reason and we will only get 720p. who knows. splatoon 2 is months away.
Yea, this would make the most sense to me since the game still got time for optimization.

LordKano

Don't freak about Splatoon 2 (yet), it's still in development and I really doubt that they would make it a 720p game when Zelda is way more ambitious visually and is running in 900p.

They may just have used a lower resolution since the real docked mode is unstable.

nOoblet16

Is that guy in the video really asking why Zelda docked is running at 900p and MK8 running at 1080p?
Erm.......maybe because Zelda is a huge open world game with tons of physics?

That....is not how it works. lol
It's still using the same hardware with the same drawbacks.

Zelda is a "huge open world" and as such the performance compromise comes in the form of 30 frames per second instead of 60FPS of Mario Kart 8. Both Zelda and Mario Kart are 720P on WiiU, yet one ended up 1080P on Switch while the other ended up 900P, which is why it is a curious case because both WiiU and Switch are fixed hardware...and as such the answer to this isn't "because it's a huge open world" but rather something that can only be figured out once we look more into it.

13ruce

Banned
I'm really glad the framerate got mostly fixed. I'm happy with how the game looks since E3. The framerate was my only big problems. It's still not quite locked, but it is finally a playable game.

I share the same opinion in that. The treehouse footage looked very choppy at e3, but it looks very stable and natural now.

Effect

Watching the video they say that the drops mostly happen when there's depth of field from combat on the screen, or large transparent effects.

Watching the footage its smooth 30 every other moment of the gameplay.

The dips also seem so fast in the footage I don't think they'll be that noticeable as you're playing. Now the dips on the Wii U version are very likely to be noticeable though.

I am curious of the direction they go for in the future. Target the docked mode and then tone down for the hand held mode. Or target the hand held mode and then upgrade for the docked mode. Or will it be game by game basis. That this started as Wii U game I think they might have just targeted the hand held mode from how it sounds.

The game looks beautiful regardless in both modes though. Even with the issues the Wii U has it still looks amazing and likely will be worth playing if you don't pick up the Switch at launch but also have a Wii U.

Top Bottom