• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Let's Play Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch

Tecnniqe

Banned
720p almost locked 30 is damn good for me

ZR90_f-maxage-0.gif

Josh7289

I am confused why it runs at 900p docked instead of 1080p.

I hope that gets bumped up to 1080p by launch.

Or a valid technical explanation is found for why it is limited to 900p.

EDarkness

Being the same in docked and portable does not make sense to me. I'm going to assume this will change by the time the game releases in the summer. If it doesn't, I really hope someone asks the dev team about it and figures out why they chose to do that.

We should all assume it will. They're only showing demos of the games, not final builds. Don't even worry about it (because I can already see people getting all crazy). Worry about it a week before the game comes out.

Apathy

Ok so didn't someone say nintendo confirmed 1080p while docked yesterday. Why can't we get ont he same page here

Considering optimization doesn't really go into full force until the last few months of development, it's possible both versions will have a steady frame rate by release.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Richard sounds very negative, but I kinda agree. Zelda looks great, but imagine it on better specs.
Actually he says he's disappointed from a console perspective, but ecstatic from a handheld point of view. They say it looks phenomenal on Switch screen, which is the best handheld ever created.

"Imagine it on better console specs" vs "wow crazy graphics for a handheld!". This is a debate with everyone being right.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Ok so didn't someone say nintendo confirmed 1080p while docked yesterday. Why can't we get ont he same page here
Nope, they were wrong. 900p 30fps docked is the actual and current running version and most likely the final launch version. I highly doubt they'll get it to 1080p for launch.

KHlover

Banned
Considering optimization doesn't really go into full force until the last few months of development, it's possible both versions will have a steady frame rate by release.

Are the events still ongoing? Someone should ask a Nintendo rep how old the build used for the events is. With only one and a half month until launch there isn't that much time left for optimization.

I am confused why it runs at 900p docked instead of 1080p.

I hope that gets bumped up to 1080p by launch.

Or a valid technical explanation is found for why it is limited to 900p.
Lots of theories, personally I believe it's because the game is so heavily optimized for Wii U that getting the game to perform up to spec standard for Switch was more difficult then it should have been, kinda like how the Pro version of Uncharted 4 doesn't see that many upgrades over base PS4.

I could be completely off though :/

dc89

The game deserves better specs.
I wonder if any of nintendos studios also feel the same? Must be frustrating for them if so.

I'll have to see how the game runs on cemu to compare it against the Switch.

Have Cemu games ran at a higher fps than the base game before? And I mean like if the game was designed at 30 fps, does it go above?

Me after I read this:
giphy.gif

You're the reason we can't have nice things. Slap a beloved property on something, and people will just accept any old shit.

Wait so we are at the point where accepting this game at 720p/30 FPS in TABLET mode is a bad thing?

Am I talking to people from 5 years in the future? What exactly are you expecting from a game in that form factor? It's pretty great to be honest.

Are the events still ongoing? Someone should ask a Nintendo rep how old the build used for the events is. With only one and a half month until launch there isn't that much time left for optimization.

Build could be weeks old easily. Dan on Giant Bomb even said the UI mentions Wii U Gamepad (although nowhere else has reported on that).

Rodin

Yeah, i don't believe Splatoon 2 is 720p when docked. The game looks similar to the first one, and Mario Kart 8 (which was more intensive) is 1080p on Switch.

Richard sounds very negative, but I kinda agree. Zelda looks great, but imagine it on better specs.

Richard should be against the hybrid concept then, because you're not getting significantly better hardware in this form factor.

Build could be weeks old easily. Dan on Giant Bomb even said the UI mentions Wii U Gamepad (although nowhere else has reported on that).

I don't know if he heard something or was just guessing, but ShockingAlberto said that the demo could be even as old as the Wii U one or something like that.

EDIT:
You're the reason we can't have nice things. Slap a beloved property on something, and people will just accept any old shit.

What is this post.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Keep in mind that Rich is hardcore into the PC.

In Laura Dale's video, she actually noticed frame rate drops in the docked version but not in the portable version. However, she notes it could just be random variance and she wasn't in the exact same situation int he portable mode.
Random variance is the correct assumption. The second drop I recorded in the video (while exploring near the end), for instance, did not previously occur while testing it again. I only got to capture one session but I played it twice and visited that spot twice. I wouldn't worry.

Hmm, I didn't notice that myself but it's possible. I DO think the Slate they use in the game is very clearly meant to represent the Wii U gamepad, however.

HardRojo

If it wasn't for the art direction the game would look bad. The aliasing is all over the place and there's something else I quite don't like when moving around, other than that the game looks gorgeous, again because of its art direction.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
If you were expecting Zelda to run at 1080p in portable mode, your expectations were completely nonsensical.

"but but my phone"

lol
Doubt anyone was seriously expected Zelda at 1080P portable knowing the portable screen is 720p. What we, the majority, expected though was Zelda in 1080p 30fps on Switch. And sadly, that doesn't seem likely atm.

JaseMath

Seems like the overall consensus from DF (right now) is BotW is shaping up to be an amazing hand-held experience and an underwhelming console experience.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Random variance is the correct assumption. The second drop I recorded in the video (while exploring near the end), for instance, did not previously occur while testing it again. I only got to capture one session but I played it twice and visited that spot twice. I wouldn't worry.

Think some of it might be down to slow SD card transfer rates?

Doubt anyone was seriously expected Zelda at 1080P portable knowing the portable screen is 720p. What we, the majority, expected though was Zelda in 1080p 30fps on Switch. And sadly, that doesn't seem likely atm.

That's fine. That's not the conversation I replied to is about.

Xdrive05

Well, Switch will be my console compliment to my gaming PC, so no sleep lost on my part because of 900p. But hopefully they get those rare FPS drops ironed out before the game is final. Which must be very soon actually.

If you guys recall the Wii-U version was running like total ass just like a month ago when they showed that Lets Play with Nate. It looked worse than the E3 build, though granted it was a different area of the game. I'm pretty concerned about how that version will be turning out.

Elandyll

Banned
Can't help remembering how much of a huge deal it was when the PS4 was dropping 1-2 fps in some spots @1080p in Dragon Age Inquisition.
Pages and pages going on...

Zelda looks beautiful, hopefully will benefit from some more optimization.

Some people enjoy games because of gameplay not just graphics it's crazy right?

Nonsensical argument, they are not mutually exclusive. You can have both and nothing wrong with wanting that. Graphics are a major part of games, they are called "VIDEO" games for a reason.

Nope, they were wrong. 900p 30fps docked is the actual and current running version and most likely the final launch version. I highly doubt they'll get it to 1080p for launch.

Game is 2 months out.

Demo is based on e3 code (likely very dated)

Aonuma says it'll be 1080p.

Hmm, I didn't notice that myself but it's possible. I DO think the Slate they use in the game is very clearly meant to represent the Wii U gamepad, however.

thanks for the heads up on the random variance man, sounds like it's even more of a rare occurrence.

Game is 2 months out.

Demo is based on e3 code (likely very dated)

Aonuma says it'll be 1080p.

but he hasn't though. The IGN article didn't have a direct quote from him

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Richard should be against the hybrid concept then, because you're not getting significantly better hardware in that form factor.

I think he said so in a manner of speaking in the video. A highly impressive handheld, but he struggles to see the argument for this as a home console.

Game looks fantastic, so I'll probably hunt down a WiiU, play this and then munch on some Wii / WiiU back catalogue that I've been meaning to get around to.

Rodin

If it wasn't for the art direction the game would look bad. The aliasing is all over the place and there's something else I quite don't like when moving around, other than that the game looks gorgeous, again because of its art direction.

I bet you watched the video in full screen.

Good to know, thanks.

I think he said so in a manner of speaking in the video. A highly impressive handheld, but he struggles to see the argument for this as a home console.

Game looks fantastic, so I'll probably hunt down a WiiU, play this and then munch on some Wii / WiiU back catalogue that I've been meaning to get around to.

Sure, but that isn't what he claimed when DF presented their leak about the Switch specs. Zelda is also a Wii U port, so it hardly shows the full potential of the system (like Richard and John said themselves in the video).

Tecnniqe

Banned
Nonsensical argument, they are not mutually exclusive. You can have both and nothing wrong with wanting that. Graphics are a major part of games, they are called "VIDEO" games for a reason.

You also want videos to run fine and not randomly turn into a slideshow during combat scenes or whatever.

Analogy fail.

Top Bottom