• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

Okay, so how does this compare to the Wii U, the Xbone and the PS4?

It seems to be like it always is with Nintendo hardware. We are expecting a piece of competent tech and Nintendo under delivers so severely that it makes the news and dampens their momentum.
They were on track to have mostly positive new about their new piece of technology for a change and this seems to be a big problem. Not only for enthusiasts, but also for 3rd parties that want to port games with the smallest effort possible. Now it will be harder and most likely considerably worse.

O well...

Porting tools matter just as much as specs. While it's unreasonable to expect something like the Wii U to get high end PS4/XBO ports, it didn't even get many PS3/360 ports because it was cumbersome to develop for and the financial investment wasn't worth it.

If Switch sells well and is also easy to develop for, then it will get a share of third party support. Just don't expect those versions to be the best ones, the main incentive for Switch versions will be portability.

I don't think (console)3rd party games are on the table anymore with those specs. It would be bad for multiplats actually, think dark souls 3 vs bloodborne level of visual downgrade x2 thanks to games having to run on switch hardware. I don't see 3rd party titles like mass effect or the next battlefield on this thing.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, this is disappointing.

However -

- Switch will be over 50% more powerful than the Wii U when docked.
- Will be 30x more powerful than a 3DS, and 5x more powerful than a Vita when undocked.
- Price should be quite low, around $250, possibly even $199.
- Most importantly - this most likely will be the first system in a family of Switch devices. In a 1-2 years, I can easily see Nintendo releasing a "Switch Pro" with a 1080p screen, double the GPU power (using Pascal/Volta), ARM A72 cores with higher clocks, etc.

In other words, the games will look great and I will no longer miss all of the titles that used to go exclusively to a handheld and I will also be able to play them on my TV. Sounds pretty good.

I just don't understand that after WiiU they willingly would go for niche.

Well, what's the alternative? They can't compete directly with mobile, hence Super Mario Run et al., and they can't compete directly with PS4/XB1 for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with hardware performance (third-party relations, lack of Western first-party studios, lack of existing first-party IP with meaningful appeal to Sony/MS audience, etc.)

It's far from certain that Switch will succeed, but I don't see a better option than downplaying input/display gimmicks, doubling down on first-party software as the primary differentiator from other platforms, and going for whatever market is left in between the mobile and Sony/MS/PC ends.

Do you consider this a benefit? Kind of sucks for the people who buy the Switch at launch. Also pretty skeptical it would happen.

I only see them going to 16nm post launch after a few years (assuming they are using 20nm). They wont make games better on the new device but they will offer longer battery life due to the new fab process IMO.

Maxim726X

In other words, the games will look great and I will no longer miss all of the titles that used to go exclusively to a handheld and I will also be able to play them on my TV. Sounds pretty good.

This is where I'm at.

The idea of having a great mobile library that I can dock into my TV and play at home sounds enticing to me.

Let Sony and MS fight it out for supremacy of the living room- This will be a nice dedicated Nintendo machine. I guess I'm not disappointed because it's clearly been their strategy for years now.

Blobbers

The meme that people only buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games needs to be killed. I give close to zero fucks about "Nintendo games" aside from a few franchises and have bought the DS and 3DS for the third-party offerings.

I don't think the majority of the DS and 3DS playerbase were your classic nintendo fans tbh. That number is probably much lower. Which is why the switch will find immense success. 50+ million says the optimist in me

For a handheld device these specs would be more than sufficient for my needs. As a 3DS successor this could work out just fine.

But as a home console this would be quite disappointing for my taste. I know it's all about the 1st party stuff in the end, but for any good ports from XBone or PS4 these rumours are more underwhelming than I was hoping for.

We'll have to wait and see anyway.

mario_O

But NVIDIA Gflops aren't the same as AMD Gflops right?

a flop is a flop. the difference is nvidia's hardware, with the same number of flops, runs better in dx11 --but these are all consoles, with their own low level api's.

i don't know what i'm talking about.

I thought the Switch would be a home console that you could take with you. But it seems it's just a glorified Vita that you can connect to your big ass TV.

They're making the same mistakes all over again and it's funny to see a lot of die hard Nintendo fans endorse this attitude. And btw, I bet this thing will be offensively overpriced, 300$ at least.

And when the first NX rumours started I was super pumped for a beefy Nintendo home console ://

asagami_

Banned
Do you consider this a benefit? Kind of sucks for the people who buy the Switch at launch. Also pretty skeptical it would happen.

If they follow the Game Boy way, each new Switch generation will play almost every game from the former generation. I think this is huge alone.

Tratorn

Damn, even worse than I thought. As I said before, I'd really prefer a real console rather than this compromise-box. I don't even care for the mobility and I still have to pay for that, since I don't have a choice.

maxcriden

Is there a TL;DR available perhaps regarding what this means vs. what leaks have led us to believe, the expected veracity of this leak, and any comments from other leakers now that this article has come out?

Thank you.

timshundo

Me: "Switch will be a Portable Wii U, graphics wise. Readjust your expectations."

Y'all: "BS! It'll cost Nintendo MORE to order old chips and make nvidia produce outdated processors than to just use Pascal! Some Pascal chips get up to [number] gigaflopz so the Switch will be current-gen quality at least when docked! Pascal has already been out for 6 months, totally enough time for implementation! BotW is a Wii U port so of course it won't accurately represent the Switch's power! You have the tech knowledge of an average senior citizen. You're wrong! You're embarrassingly wrong! All the leaks say you're wrong!"

EVERY Nintendo console launch...

Alienous

Come. On. Let's bring a bit of logic here : what we saw during the Switch reveal trailer was the special edition.The LKD leaks were talking about the special edition. The most recent version, and the only one that makes sense to be ported, is the special edition.

Same for DQXI, why would that be anything else than the UE4 version ? Unless they're developping a whole new version, with a completely different look, but we have no basis for that claim. The Switch is running UE4, so it will runs the UE4 version. The 3DS is not running the UE4 version because it's not powerful enough, so they had to make a different version. That's like saying that the Smash bros port will be a port from the 3DS version. That makes zero sense from any perspective.

These are not facts, but nothing in this thread is a fact either, it's either all of them or nothing.

Skyrim ran on last-gen consoles. The 'Special Edition' is an update, with DLC and some gameplay enhancements. It's very possible a Skyrim 'Special Edition' on the Switch could see those gameplay enhancements and not the intensive improvements like godrays. It's a last-gen game at heart, regardless.

And DQXI - I don't think we know what version of the game they're going with. The Switch is a handheld so perhaps it'll get a port of the 3DS version, like the rumoured Pokémon Sun/Moon 'Stars' port.

Somewhat disappointing I suppose.

The switch is still vastly more powerful than any other dedicated handheld, has a full modern (and future scalable) architecture, and gives Nintendo a unified development platform moving into the future.

So I'm still 100% hyped personally.

bomblord1

Banned
In case anyone is wonder natedrake said this in another thread

2.5 to 3x is that big of a difference? I also didn't share the info on Gaf. I'm looking into things. Tech talk is challenging since I'm not given documentation to view, I have to take info from multiple sources and compare for consistency.

3x wiiU would put the system at 500GFLOPS much higher than should be possible with 256 CUDA Cores

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But NVIDIA Gflops aren't the same as AMD Gflops right?

That statement is true for PC, but it's not really measurable for consoles. There are some features and advantages that Nvidia has, but we have no idea what features the GPU in Switch has at this point. So I wouldn't use it as an argument for now.

Nintendo is not trying to expand their fan base with platforms like this. I want to play Nintendo consoles again but their hardware is just too basic. I want something like PS4 powerful with a great online multiplayer. Appeal to your older audience.

MacTag

Banned
Vita has slightly better battery life than the 3Ds and better than the rumoured Switch battery life(which is to be expected due to the lack of fan).
If these specs are true then the 5-8 hour leak went from rumor to reality. Switch could be very competitive with Vita on that front and ahead of 3DS.

The next year and a half will be interesting, to say the least. GAF's reactions say a lot in and of themselves.
Nintendo focusing on a gimmick ("sales angle," if you want to call it that) is nothing new, but I worry about third parties more than anything now.

orioto

Good Art™
Kids play games on tablets, and the Switch has the formfactor of a tablet. If they manage to hit a toy-like pricepoint for the Switch (<$250) I think it could see success with the younger game demographic, even if it's size means it's used more at home.

Wrong logic i think.
Some kids play on tablet, sure, but what do they play, how do they play it and where do they play it ?
Are the kids playing on tablets the ones having a 3ds in their school bag to play pokemon or Monster Hunter?
And how does the Switch form factor will be received by this demographic.

Smo21

It's probably fine. I imagine you're gonna get a lot of the 3ds and Vita devs from Japan on this and with Nintendo's full effort behind it

eaise

Neo Member
Nintendo fan delusionnal 6 states:

1.Get excited over next console, with crazy high expectations
2.Dismiss most reliable rumors about the console being underpowered
3Start to negociates and thinks that it is all part of a big plan to surprise everyone"Nintendo manipulating the press"
4.Nintendo never confirms specs
5.Multiples website confirm how underpower next nintendo console is
6.Close eyes hands on the ears screaming and not hearing how everyone confirms it's underpowered

1. Got excited. Still excited. My expectations weren't super high (but higher than these specs)
2. All the rumors till this article stated XBone power
3. It was a joke
4. They probably never will
5. Have to wait and see...
6. *hands over ears* LALALALALALALALALALALA

ffdgh

Oh well. Better to learn this now rather than much later.
KuGsj.gif

Wish them the best of luck this go around compared to the U
get pokemon on this thing asap

Genio88

I just can't wait for Switch, is gonna be awesome, i don't care about the specs, also i think it'll manage multiplatforms with PS4 and XB1 well, though i think the heavier games will run at like 480p upscaled to 720p when undocked and 900p upscaled to 1080p when docked

Chindogg

If only such a mythical platform existed! Or two such mythical platforms! Or even three such mythical platforms!

Yeah it's called a PC.

Is this less powerful than most mobile phones? Oh dear.

Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds. Phones are not consoles or handhelds.

If the Switch isn't that powerful, wouldn't it run into massive problems with ports of PS4/Xbone games?

Developers probably aren't going to put in all the extra work to make their game run on it.

Isn't this the exact same problem the Wii U had?

Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support. Power is not toolset support.

dan2026

If the Switch isn't that powerful, wouldn't it run into massive problems with ports of PS4/Xbone games?

Developers probably aren't going to put in all the extra work to make their game run on it.

Isn't this the exact same problem the Wii U had?

ZOONAMI

So basically it's a Wii U.5 (1.5)

Continuing the trend of GC < Wii < Wii U marginal increases

This should really be the portable only and there should be a more powerful home console only system. I just think Nintendo doesn't want to deal with the budgets of AAA HD titles, and without the hardware to even make anything on a Nintendo platform, 3rd parties won't put in the effort of porting anything

Jumeira

Banned
This isnt going to perform well in the West imo, doubt 3rd parties will bother with all the sacrifices needed to get it to run on those specs. Will be interesting to see how Pokémon impacts the sales as I feel that's thier only hope for it performing stronger then Wii U

Maxim726X

I just don't want the rumors about the battery life to be true... 2-3 hours is unacceptable, particularly with something this underpowered.

LordKano

Skyrim ran on last-gen consoles. The 'Special Edition' is an update, with DLC and some gameplay enhancements. It's very possible a Skyrim 'Special Edition' on the Switch could see those gameplay enhancements and not the intensive improvements like godrays. It's a last-gen game at heart, regardless.

And DQXI - I don't think we know what version of the game they're going with. The Switch is a handheld so perhaps it'll get a port of the 3DS version, like the rumoured Pokémon Sun/Moon 'Stars' port.

The Special Edition is a visual remaster, there's not a single gameplay enhancement in it. It's literally the same game, but remade so it looks better, runs better so it's appropriate for current consoles. It may be a last-gen game in heart, but it would never run on a last-gen console, or something with the specs of a last-gen console.

Have you seen the 3DS version ? It won't get ported to the Switch. Even if it's an handled. It's like asking if it makes sense to port the GB version of Mario Tennis to the Wii U, and claim that it makes sense, as it's kinda an handled too. As I said, there's not a single reason to even consider porting the 3DS version. It makes absolutely zero sense. Even less than zero. Negative sense.

Bulzeeb

For what I read, this is quite disappointing for a home console but the switch still looks great as a handled if they deliver the same battery life as the 3ds, as someone whose gaming habits this year consisted of PC and 3DS I think I should be fine if they price the thing right (expecting no more than 250 if it has a game bundled)

Man if Monster Hunter 5 looks like an up-ressed 3DS game I'm going to slap Tsujimoto around the face.

dont forget to take pictures as evidence, however I think that Capcom is just pleased with this option.

So if I'm reading the specs right this thing is only marginally more powerful than the Nvida Shield tablet from a couple of years ago when docked? And significantly less powerful when used as a handheld? That seems pretty crazy as the Shield Tablet is over 2 years old now, and wasn't particularly pricey on release.

Genio88

Is this less powerful than most mobile phones? Oh dear.
That's what i thought too, what a shame, never gonna buy it, i don't care about Beath of the Wild, Mario, Splatoon etc, just gonna play Clash Royale on my 1TFlops and 1440p screen phone

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
1. Got excited. Still excited. My expectations weren't super high (but higher than these specs)
2. All the rumors till this article stated XBone power
3. It was a joke
4. They probably never will
5. Have to wait and see...
6. *hands over ears* LALALALALALALALALALALA

Don't forget to mention a few posts after I also said then finally play games and be happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom