• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it now? It looked pretty Wii U-ish to me. Some assets like the bullet bill looked like they were lifted straight from 3D World.

Yes it does, if you can't see the difference between Mario Switch and 3D World, then you shouldn't even be worrying about numbers in a thread like this.

That bullet Bill looks perfectly round, not sure what else you could want from it.

I'm actually hoping that was placeholder.
I mean I love the Mexican theme but that short look did nothing for me.
It didn't look amazing visually or design-wise.
Needs more upside-down bonkers shit.

I thought it looked amazing, Nintendo is getting closer and closer to tha Pixar/Disney look.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Numbers aren't graphics, except in the purest mathematical sense.
It is ludicrous to declare "I'm out!" because you were told a number.

The number says something about the device's capabilities. If graphics matter to you, then this news disappoints no matter how you look at it. And yes, it can be a dealbreaker.

Especially after basically months of people speculating that this thing is going to be able to play stunning looking PS4/X1 multiplats while you're on the go. With a speculated GFLOP count of ~150 while undocked, that's beginning to look rather unlikely.

Meesh

I don't know if my thinking here is logical or not... I'm also not tech savvy, but too underpowered and won't most developers just walk away? I mean, how many more times powerful than WiiU is Switch? Best guess? And is it gonna matter? Part of my confusion may just be imagining this thing docked and playing through Skyrim... may not be too graphically impressive... but on the go it could look solid gold. I think when we see the upcoming games line up, and the Jan 12 event my worries will be laid to rest. Or I hope lol.

JB2448

and now you see the concept of the switch: One device, All the company's output.

I believe he's referring the third party output on Nintendo home consoles (or lack thereof). What remains to be seen is whether or not third party output on Nintendo's handheld consoles will migrate over to the Switch or abandon Nintendo entirely. The latter scenario seems incredibly unlikely.

MegalonJJ

Banned
So now we are arguing about how shiny a bullet bill looked in promo footage....

This is getting very scientific.

Lol, Your summation is excellent :D I can't stop laughing...the thread is regarding the reported clock speeds and people are debating how shiny bullet bill is as a yardstick for improved performance. I hope "reflective maps on Bullet Bill" is not forgotten.

Numbers aren't graphics, except in the purest mathematical sense.
It is ludicrous to declare "I'm out!" because you were told a number.

Numbers correlate to graphics, it's not ludicrous at all. It's not as powerful as the poster wanted, that's a very valid reason to not want to purchase said thing. May not be important to you, but that doesn't change anything.

I sort of imagine that the cheapest screens on the market are probably 720p touchscreens given the economies of scale involved and that being a super common smartphone size / resolution

6.2" is very uncommon phone screen size. And 720p is not the most common. It's 540p IIRC. 1280x720 IPS is considered mid range phone screen still. Mid range is 720p to 1080p now days.

Dremorak

Banned
Given that in portable mode it runs better than on wiiu, AND the eurogamer article said when its portable its 40% of total power... Doesnt that mean its at LEAST 2.5X the power of wiiu??

I know thats simplifying it a ton, but this doesnt seem anywhere near as dire as people in this thread seem to be making it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Given that in portable mode it runs better than on wiiu, AND the eurogamer article said when its portable its 40% of total power... Doesnt that mean its at LEAST 2.5X the power of wiiu??

I know thats simplifying it a ton, but this doesnt seem anywhere near as dire as people in this thread seem to be making it.

The sky is always falling when it comes to Nintendo according to GAF

aBarreras

this has been stated on pages from 40 to 50 or something, the thread is running in circles

Seik

Banned

What makes people freak out is because of the expectations they had.

When you've been dealing with Nintendo hardware since the last two generations, you (normally) don't expect them to go all-in, specs-wise.

Though I can understand how many wants to have a 'real', PS4-like, next gen experience with them, but this shall only come in 5 years I assume, considering the 'one generation behind' schtick they have.

yyr

People keep referring to Switch as a 'portable Wii U' and 'Wii U ports' but this thing has the potential to get huge amounts of last gen ports/remasters and introduce them to an all new audience.

I hope third-party publishers don't all go down this road at launch. This is exactly what happened with Wii U.

Third-party publisher: "Our launch games didn't sell. The platform must not be viable."
Voice of reason: "Um, those were ports of 2-year-old games that most people already boug--"
Third-party publisher: "THE PLATFORM MUST NOT BE VIABLE!"

I understand that portability is a thing now, but ports are still ports. I've already seen a few people say "portable Skyrim? I'll buy it" but, will millions of people actually buy it?

To be honest I believe software is what can make or break an Nintendo system. If they have software like Wii sports to showcase then things can change

Software is very important, but it's not the only factor.

Wii Sports was successful *because of* the Wii Remote. The Wii Remote was a stroke of genius: an interface simple enough for anyone to understand and use, enabling gameplay that nobody had ever experienced before.

Conversely, the Wii U GamePad was a fusion of tablet and game controller. It was the opposite: a complex-looking device that did not actually enable anything new, beyond dual-screen gaming in the living room.

The Wii may have sold millions because of Wii Sports, but Wii Sports sold because of the Wii Remote. On the other hand, the GamePad was one of the biggest reasons that the Wii U didn't catch on. These cases prove--especially when you don't have the most powerful hardware--that the interface is more important than you might think.

Oof, I'll have my popcorn ready if either were the case. I just think it's hilarious how clock speed information resulted in a 100+ page thread of... whatever you'd call this

This is what happens when a major console release is less than 6 months out and the manufacturer gives us little to no information about it.

Maybe it just didn't have the best games. There are maybe 5 games "worth" owning the system for, if you are Nintendo fan. That's pretty pathetic.

Folks, when you see garbage posts like this, do not fan the flames. Just ignore them. Don't feed the trolls.

Reminds me of the MS Surface. Tried to be two very different things at once and ended up being crap at both.

I hope you're referring to the RT-based 1 and 2. Because the Pro line and Surface 3 are actually pretty awesome machines that do a lot very well. IMO of course...

LordRaptor

The number says something about the device's capabilities. If graphics matter to you, then this news disappoints no matter how you look at it. And yes, it can be a dealbreaker.

Especially after basically months of people speculating that this thing is going to be able to play stunning looking PS4/X1 multiplats while you're on the go. With a speculated GFLOP count of ~150 while undocked, that's beginning to look rather unlikely.

Numbers correlate to graphics, it's not ludicrous at all. It's not as powerful as the poster wanted, that's a very valid reason to not want to purchase said thing. May not be important to you, but that doesn't change anything.

Okay then, rage quit over speculation. Totally not ludicrous.

You do you.

e:
For point of reference;
As of today we have seen 1 (one) title running on the Switch, offscreen on a talk show.

Completely reasonable to spit the dummy out over.

It should be fine- it's likely close to 3x the Wii U in performance if you account for RAM and more modern architecture, but this news is lower than what pretty much all of us considered to be realistic expectations:

512GFLOPS when docked and 4x A57 cores somewhere near their max clock (1.5-2GHz).

This is telling us that it will be 390GFLOPS docked (which really isn't THAT bad) and with about half the CPU capability we were expecting (which actually MIGHT be that bad). Honestly the CPU clock is the worse news here in my mind, though that's more subject to change since we don't know the final core configuration.

Seik

Banned
So this marks the end of the 3DS?

I expect Nintendo to shell out a game or two (And shared ports with the Switch, à la Pokemon Sun/Moon) for it in the next two years.

After that, it's dead Jim, everything will be on the Switch. These are pure speculations though

Dremorak

Banned

When you've been dealing with Nintendo hardware since the last two generations, you (normally) don't expect them to go all-in, specs-wise.

Though I can understand how many wants to have a 'real', PS4-like, next gen experience with them, but this shall only come in 5 years I assume, considering the 'one generation behind' schtick they have.

But the switch isnt one generation behind? The wiiu was just barely more powerful than 360/ps3 (and therefore could be considered a generation behind). It seems to me that the Switch might just be a step lower than xbone, which is already what most people expected I think.

I have to admit, even for me the 300MHz GPU clock was a shocker, and I'm the guy who's been shouting at people to manage their expectations.

But even with 300MHz GPU clock on batteries, it's gonna be performing better than Wii U. That's pretty good for a portable IMO, especially if they keep the price in check. @$199, this is very good. @$250, it's still OK.

The moment we found out what the machine was, I was very worried. The issue with what Nintendo's doing is they're trying to please everyone, and by doing so they may end up pleasing no one. I don't have a problem with their wanting to make a hybrid system as a concept. The problem is they want to price it competitively. If they want to price it at $500, I'm sure they can make a system that can compete with the X1/PS4 both at home AND on the road, and possibly have decent battery life if they use the newest 16nm architectures. But give it enough power, and it may be too expensive. Try and make it affordable and you sacrifice power, to the point 3rd parties may shy away. And when 3rd parties shy away, you lose a ton of sales.

Unfortunately, they want a system that's affordable while having it as a concept that, by its nature, is less affordable to make than a traditional home console. I think this system is asking for problems. Sure, they'll have their 1st party games, but 1st party games didn't save the Wii U. I was lukewarm about the system when it was first revealed, and now I'm very concerned. I just don't understand why Nintendo refuses to compete with Microsoft and Sony. It's like after the SNES they've continued to make foolish decision after foolish decision, and they've totally lost their dominance in the home console space. That was 20 years ago now ,and I'm very worried this may be the last non-portable system they do.

Seik

Banned
But the switch isnt one generation behind? The wiiu was just barely more powerful than 360/ps3 (and therefore could be considered a generation behind). It seems to me that the Switch might just be a step lower than xbone, which is already what most people expected I think.

But we have the PS4Pro already and Scorpio coming, these aren't your typical generation footprints, but the difference between those and the Switch will be generational levels, sure.

I have to admit, even for me the 300MHz GPU clock was a shocker, and I'm the guy who's been shouting at people to manage their expectations.

But even with 300MHz GPU clock on batteries, it's gonna be performing better than Wii U. That's pretty good for a portable IMO, especially if they keep the price in check. @$199, this is very good. @$250, it's still OK.

I won't lie, I expected a bit more power than that, but when you take a minute to realize that 300Mhz will be dedicated to a little 720p screen, it kinda makes sense. For my part, I can't wait to see how it will perform when docked, mostly.

You do you.

e:
For point of reference;
As of today we have seen 1 (one) title running on the Switch, offscreen on a talk show.

Lol rage quit? What? I'm still buying the system personally, but I'm not gonna sit here and tell people that they shouldn't be disappointed by the numbers they're seeing. Plus, looking at the thread title it says nothing about rumors, and didn't digital foundry say they have papers that show this is what the devkits numbers are?

KooopaKid

Banned

Nah the poster hadn't any intention of buying it in the first place or was expecting something impossible at an affordable price.

swit

It should be fine- it's likely close to 3x the Wii U in performance if you account for RAM and more modern architecture, but this news is lower than what pretty much all of us considered to be realistic expectations:

512GFLOPS when docked and 4x A57 cores somewhere near their max clock (2GHz). This is telling us that it will be 390GFLOPS docked (which really isn't THAT bad) and with about half the CPU capability we were expecting (which actually MIGHT be that bad). Honestly the CPU clock is the worse news here in my mind, though that's more subject to change since we don't know the final core configuration.

games will be designed for handeheld mode so all you get is close to Wii U performance + resolution upgrade when docked. Don't set people expectations regarding Switch power as 3xWii U - this topic has 100+ pages because of posts like this that set people expectations to unreasonable high levels in past few months. And you were the one (among others) who constantly argued with those with more conservative prediction.

LordRaptor

Lol rage quit? What? I'm still buying the system personally, but I'm not gonna sit here and tell people that they shouldn't be disappointed by the numbers they're seeing. Plus, looking at the thread title it says nothing about rumors, and didn't digital foundry say they have papers that show this is what the devkits numbers are?

They have some numbers, so they know what an individual component does, nobody has any idea how many components are involved, and if they do they're not saying, hence their speculation.

You can be as disapointed as you like, I didn't set your expectations.
The poster I was mocking and you were defending was literally saying "NOW IVE SEEN NUMBERS NO MORE INTERST".

Which is ludicrous.

Hoo-doo

Banned
You do you.
e:
For point of reference;

Rage quit? What are you even talking about. The only one here having a meltdown is you.

Calm the fuck down. It's really not that serious.

Malakai

6.2" is very uncommon phone screen size. And 720p is not the most common. It's 540p IIRC. 1280x720 IPS is considered mid range phone screen still. Mid range is 720p to 1080p now days.

I think the 6.2 720p size seem more common in the Chinese market than the West. Phones are starting to stop at the 5.5 inch size w/ a few barely going to 6 inches in the West.

6" 720p cheap android tablets are pretty common (This is clsoe to the size of the Amazon Fire HD6 tablet for instance), so the economies of scale should still be there in some capacity. Whether or not they can get a quality screen though, that's another story.

Hoo-doo

Banned
lol, here comes the "U Mad" card. Really? Meltdown?

Dude. I've rationally tried to explain to you why someone might think that the disappointing specs are a dealbreaker.

If you really want to continue your asinine argument on how that's somehow not allowed, feel free. Just stick that drivel in a PM or something.

That's genuinely the strawman you're going with? Good grief.

games will be designed for handeheld mode so all you get is close to Wii U performance + resolution upgrade when docked. Don't set people expectations regarding Switch power as 3xWii U - this topic has 100+ pages because of posts like this that set people expectations to unreasonable high levels. And you were the one (among others) who constantly argued with those with more conservative prediction.

I'm talking specifically about the processing power in docked mode though... 390GFLOPS / 3 is 130GFLOPS, which, while obviously not the 176GFLOPS of the Wii U, is most definitely 3x more powerful in overall performance when you account for RAM, CPU and more modern architecture and APIs. I don't think that's a controversial statement.

And it's up to developers to choose how to use that 390GFLOPS in docked mode. I very much doubt every single game will get to 1080p in that mode.

As for me arguing with the more conservative predictions, it's quite clear I was wrong. But most reasonable expectations turned out to be wrong too. I don't think expecting 512GFLOPS docked was that outrageous when the devkits were literally confirmed to be at or above that level back in July.

6" 720p cheap android tablets are pretty common (This is clsoe to the size of the Amazon Fire HD6 tablet for instance), so the economies of scale should still be there in some capacity. Whether or not they can get a quality screen though, that's another story.

Fire 6 is 1024x600. That's most definitely not 1280x720.

Oregano

Having double the RAM (and probably more than double the usable RAM) at a noticeably faster speed is going to be a huge improvement over the Wii U.

Obviously as a dev you'd know better but will it really make much difference?

With the Wii U we already had Michel Ancel saying they could throw whatever texture they wanted at it.It doesn't seem like RAM was an issue at all.

orioto

Good Art™
Reasons why Nintendo calling the Switch a portable home console is the right move:

• It would be terrible marketing to market this thing as a handheld when it truly can do much more graphically than people are used to with handhelds.
•You don’t want the perception to be that this is just another 3DS powered type of system you can plug into your TV. Perception is important and despite what half of GAF thinks, it’s not a misnomer to call it a home console despite it not being as powerful as the offerings from Microsoft of Sony.
•Plugging a handheld into your TV is not much of a selling point. You can already play your handheld systems in your living room and increasing the screen size won’t appeal to many.
•What you can’t and have never been able to do is play games designed for home consoles any and everywhere outside of your living room. This is the selling point of the Switch, not playing handheld games on the TV.

The bottom line is that it’s not Nintendo’s goal to impress GAF with its specs by marketing this thing as the most powerful handheld ever instead of an “underpowered” home console. It needs to sell the thing and like it or not taking console games on the go (a portable home console) is the most compelling argument for it.

Terrible logic, so so so wrong.
Let's face it here.

Nintendo home console market = roughly .. 15 million ?
Nintendo portable market = roughly.. 60 millions ?

No, you don't want to present the Switch as a full hd WiiU costing 250$ in 2016, no. This is close to suicidal.

Fire 6 is 1024x600. That's most definitely not 1280x720.

Fire HD6, which I believe is their new version of the cheapest tablet, is 1280 x 800.

But regardless, sourcing inexpensive 6" low-res touchscreens should not be hard even in this day and age where quad HD is becoming the norm.

Cerium

How are we at 100 pages in this thread? Good heavens.

It's pretty much the apocalypse for some of us who were expecting so much more.

You can check my history, I've been nothing but excited and positive about Switch because all the rumors and hype led me to believe that we were getting more powerful, more architecturally advanced, faster clocked hardware.

NateDrake in particular bears responsibility for pushing the Pascal misinformation for so long.

Instead we get a cautious, conservative, unambitious system that will no doubt have a great library of Nintendo games but will fall well short of the visionary revelation we were told to expect.

Obviously as a dev you'd know better but will it really make much difference?

With the Wii U we already had Michel Ancel saying they could throw whatever texture they wanted at it.It doesn't seem like RAM was an issue at all.

You use RAM for more than just textures. The Wii U had about 1GB usable RAM, whereas the XBO & PS4 are both around 5GB. Huge difference there. If the Switch is at around 3GB usable that would make it much easier to do a wider variety of XBO/PS4 ports.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Somehow, and it's surprising, we're now in the aggressive personal bickering stage of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom