• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: The Witcher 3 patch 1.10 gives PS4 the boost it's been waiting for

Graphics have been downgraded, but no one is willing to talk about it.

Version 1.08

qgVfmS3.jpg

Version 1.10

jwyiy8soembfytg4lrzr.gif

Lol some idiots will actually fall for this.

thelastword

Banned
Why do you seem to be so unfazed by CDPR releasing another patch that negatively impacts performance on Xbox One? I get the feeling that if they did this to the PS4 version that there would be hell to pay.
You're pretending I'm some type of bastion for the newly patched PS4 version. Just like things are broken on the XB1, I'm sure there are things broken on the PS4 as well, it's the nature of releasing your product in a shoddy state and trying to fix it months after.

As I've said in a prior post, the only difference I saw different was the little extra foam and ripples on the PS4 version on the water, that was always on the XB1 version and 6 months later it's on the ps4 version, yet it's just a property of the low preset for water. I can see the slight improvement to texture load-in and a reduction in pop-in, but I can't give them any praise for that since an A10 APU with an onboard GPU loaded assets much much better in this game. It's the same for the framerate, some people are saying it's massive, but it's simply a case of them getting rid of their random 20fps framelock. It's not like the game is performing at 30fps solid, and it still does not have the assets of entry level or medium pc rigs for that matter, which it shoudl.

As I've said, I wish there was a more thorough analysis of this patch to highlight what was changed, what was upgraded, what was downgraded, it's not always easy to pick up such differences via youtube videos.

In any case, I hope XB1 performance is restored to where it was, but it's such a see-saw affair from CD Project as it is.

The gen of unfinished games
If this was other developer the conversation around here would have been very much different
I imagine, there's still a lot of patching to come. Apparently this is CDPR's modus operandii, their GOTY editions of W1 and W2 was the actual finished product. I can only assume that there will be more patches going forward till their W3 GOTY.

This patch (for PS4) hopefully provides a valuable lesson to a lot of people who were claiming that "CDPR did all they could with the hardware they had, what did you expect."

We expected performance improvement. And now it is here. People should stop jumping to conclusions as to what is possible on what hardware. These comments mainly come from some PC owners which is unfortunate as, usualy it is the PC community that has better knowledge over how coding and hardware works.

CDPR didnt max out the consoles. Not even now they havent. Unfortunately it took them 5 months to fix something that should have been there from the beginning, but it still stands as proof that you can improve. Besides it was blatantly obvious that those 20 fps caps on PS4 were not due to hardware...

In any case, I hope XBOX1 owners get a patch that will put performance on par with PS4 and will alleviate the new issues that emerges with 1.10.

Again, stop jumping to naive comments about what hardware can do what. PC will always be the undisputed King, but saying that XXX developer cant do anything else to make the game run better is pure BS. Yes there will be a limit, but we are still early on this generation and CDPR sure as hell didnt max out next gen consoles with their first product. They perhaps maxed out their capabilities during the time frame they had in mind to release the game.

Game should have been delayed but I can somewhat understand that they needed to release their game during that window and they couldnt afford yet another delay.
That's usually what I see in these threads, I'm not even sure why the PC guys are trying to declare that's all the consoles can do. I realize some of them do that for every supbar port on the PS4. Strider can't do af, Unity is GPU bound on PS4, Farcry 4 is....Gta5 is....It's really disingenuous.

At least PC guys got a good port, but yet, here they are, even a dev recommended that you play the pc version, it's good. I've always maintained that the PC version is excellent, but the consoles got the short end of the stick, especially PS4. Lower end GPU's/systems just did too much over the consoles and had much better presets. They excelled and still do, perhaps in everything but performance depending on the GPU. Can you imagine if I went into a batman Ak thread on release day and said that's all PC could do.........just accept the PC port for what it is......and drop something like, "it's probably cpu bound or vram bound for textures assets or whatever else"...."rain effects are probably too tasking etc..."?

Tbh, I'm still not impressed with what CDPR have done with this patch, there's a lot that needs to improve still, ALOT more.

omonimo

Banned
Only if there was some public organ... some sort of digital channel... some sort of foundry of knowledge... that could reach out to CDPR and ask the questions as to which things were optimized via removal and which were optimized by refactoring. Or that could create screenshot and micro-detail comparisons between the versions...

On PC I did not notice the removal of any alpha effects in the swamp btw like the screens above show. I could check later though of course.
I don't know about the bog but pool in the cave with the torchlight are horribly low buffer on ps4. I don't know if they were like this before but it's terrible to see. Really blurred and compressed.

I don't know about the bog but pool in the cave with the torchlight are horribly low buffer on ps4. I don't know if they were like this before but it's terrible to see. Really blurred and compressed.

Hrm, got a picture? On PC they do something kinda interesting there that I did not think screamed low res.

Also, there are some caves where fog is in them... those would be best to see if they reduced alpha resolution in addition to the amount of it.

omonimo

Banned
Hrm, got a picture? On PC they do something kinda interesting there that I did not think screamed low res.

Also, there are some caves where fog is in them... those would be best to see if they reduced alpha resolution in addition to the amount of it.
Well I'm quite ignorant about the correct tech term but it's really noticeable just when I use the torch, not so much otherwise. When the light reflect in the water, reflection disappear and the ground appear terrible blurred and undefined with some horrible artifacts but not pixelated at all. That's annoying to see. I try to put some shot when I'm back to home.
By the way I'm not sure if it happens for this patch. Probably it was present before too because cave runs quite good.

omonimo

Banned

Is it possible to have picture? I need this with a pool reflected with a torchlight how works in the cave on PC. Out my curiosity.

Bluenoser

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-110-gives-ps4-the-boost-its-been-waiting-for

A more detailed discussion of framerate scenarios can be found in the article.

Guess it was a good idea to wait with a purchase. Kinda crazy that they are still busy fixing the game.

Kinda crazy that they don't really have to, and they still are. It was perfectly playable for most people at launch, and mostly everything they have done was to please fans. What a remarkable developer.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kinda crazy that they don't really have to, and they still are. It was perfectly playable for most people at launch, and mostly everything they have done was to please fans. What a remarkable developer.
It wasn't super buggy, I suppose, but it ran worse than Assassin's Creed Unity when it launched (and I feel it looks much worse too, though they're doing very very different things). These days, the majority of open world games on consoles are launching with a very stable 30fps (sometimes even 60). ACU and Witcher 3 were two of the only exceptions to that.

They launched a game with a lot of technical problems and are fixing it. Just like Ubi and the like. I don't get the praise they receive.

Ubi was lynched for ACU but I don't feel W3 launched in a much better state on consoles.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

YuG0TAj.jpg

Bluenoser

It wasn't super buggy, I suppose, but it ran worse than Assassin's Creed Unity when it launched (and I feel it looks much worse too, though they're doing very very different things). These days, the majority of open world games on consoles are launching with a very stable 30fps (sometimes even 60). ACU and Witcher 3 were two of the only exceptions to that.

They launched a game with a lot of technical problems and are fixing it. Just like Ubi and the like. I don't get the praise they receive.

Ubi was lynched for ACU but I don't feel W3 launched in a much better state on consoles.

I didn't play AC:U so I can't comment, but although W3 wasn't perfect, I found it fine (as did many people with AC:U). Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they have continued to improve the game, but many of the things they've improved were not really urgent, and they did it because of player feedback.

20fps was not acceptable and it wasn't done out of the kindness of their hearts. No surprise it gets fixed as they try sell DLC.

Maxximo

Well maybe the fact that one is a masterpiece made the difference. Anyway didn't acu run at 900 or something on both consoles?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I didn't play AC:U so I can't comment, but although W3 wasn't perfect, I found it fine (as did many people with AC:U). Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they have continued to improve the game, but many of the things they've improved were not really urgent, and they did it because of player feedback.

Well, we have witness many recent releases of unpolished games, where the release state of the game impacted the value of the franchise. Unity and CoD:Ghosts are good examples. They certainly do not fix their game just out of the goodness of their heart. They do it to prevent consumers, who paid $60/70€ or more for their product, from shying away from buying DLC or preordering The Witcher 4.

It's cool if the game is fine for you and others. But a sizable number of players expect more than sustained 20fps gameplay.

Mastperf

20fps was not acceptable and it wasn't done out of the kindness of their hearts. No surprise it gets fixed as they try sell DLC.
This guy gets it.There's no way it took them 9 patches just to coincidentally and miraculously end up with this significant performance improvement just in time to release their dlc.

dark10x

Well maybe the fact that one is a masterpiece made the difference. Anyway didn't acu run at 900 or something on both consoles?
Well, quality is subjective. I'm not a big fan of W3 myself. Just talking about technical quality at release.

benzy

Outside of the bog area and night time in Novigrad, vanilla Witcher 3 ran much better and more consistently at 30fps than ACU, most notably PS4 comparisons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clQfCP3NFuc

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkB8gpPzMkw&t=1m16s

ACU basically had bog area equivalents throughout the whole game, and still does.

Bluenoser

Well, we have witness many recent releases of unpolished games, where the release state of the game impacted the value of the franchise. Unity and CoD:Ghosts are good examples. They certainly do not fix their game just out of the goodness of their heart. They do it to prevent consumers, who paid $60/70€ or more for their product, from shying away from buying DLC or preordering The Witcher 4.

It's cool if the game is fine for you and others. But a sizable number of players expect more than sustained 20fps gameplay.

The "20fps" was only during cutscenes as far as I'm aware. During combat it could dip that low but if fluctuated. Not saying it's acceptable- just that the areas where it would happen represented such a small part of the game, I didn't mind it that much. I'm happy they improved the game, and some fixes were needed to get the game to a playable state for a lot of people, but so many of their improvements were just icing on the cake, and that's what I was trying to highlight.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Outside of the bog area and night time in Novigrad, vanilla Witcher 3 ran much better and more consistently at 30fps than ACU, most notably PS4 comparisons.

vs.

ACU basically had bog area equivalents throughout the whole game, and still does.
ACU's gameplay also requires lower latency than The Witcher 3, which is pretty slow paced, so the performance problems are far more noticeable. Witcher 3 may have dropped frames heavily in places at launch but never to what I'd consider unplayable for its gameplay.

ACU and Dragon's Dogma are the only games that I wanted to play more of but simply couldn't because of the performance. And neither were ever fixed.

dark10x

vs.

Witcher 3 stutters and skips like mad on PS4 (at launch). It was never smooth. ACU actually looks more consistent and fluid overall on PS4 in comparison. You have dips in many areas but it doesn't feel as jittery as The Witcher 3. The fact that it animates much better than W3 helps as well.

So this what I talked about
photo.phpfbid=1243816732310995&l=34a10c80f9.jpg

Is it low buffer water or what else?

I took some images of the water in caves, it seems to run a dof like effect on the water volume. You can see it has masking problems when geralt stands next to it.
witcher3_2015_10_14_24bkof.png

witcher3_2015_10_14_244kw7.png

I think it is trying to emulate the look of salt water pools you see in caves.
1004_625_Vaca_Ha_s.jpg

Also, going back to the swamps and my performance there... I am pretty sure any adjustments to the fog did not effect PC. Still has a shit ton:
witcher3_2015_10_14_2o6s42.png

Surfheart

I just picked up the game after hearing about the positive improvements with the latest patch.

The game runs very nicely but then sometimes an area that was totally smooth will just start to run like crap. No matter where I go after this performance drop starts the issue persists until I restart the game.

Anyone experienced this?

I just picked up the game after hearing about the positive improvements with the latest patch.

The game runs very nicely but then sometimes an area that was totally smooth will just start to run like crap. No matter where I go after this performance drop starts the issue persists until I restart the game.

Anyone experienced this?

Yup, I'm having the exact same issue. As are a few others here and on the CDPR forums. For me what fixes it is to save the game and then load that same save back up. It only lasts for around 10-15 minutes before it reappears, though.

The support team told me they'e aware of it and that they'e investigating a fix but I won't hold my breath for it to be fixed any time soon. I can wait, though, now that I've had a taste and loved it. :p

Surfheart

Yup, I'm having the exact same issue. As are a few others here and on the CDPR forums. For me what fixes it is to save the game and then load that same save back up. It only lasts for around 10-15 minutes before it reappears, though.

The support team told me they'e aware of it and that they'e investigating a fix but I won't hold my breath for it to be fixed any time soon. I can wait, though, now that I've had a taste and loved it. :p

Thanks, yeah I really loved what I played of it, but this is game breaking for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Hey Dark, what HDDs does DF test on? I genuinely think that harddrives have some effect on performance in this game. I've seen plenty of footage of this game getting real bad but outside of a few hiccups, it didn't really drop below mid 20s for me, even in a thunderstorm in the bog (which I have posted footage of before). Still rough but not like the usual bog footage. I have a SSHD.

I'm usually pretty sensitive to drops below 30 and would have been pissed if I had seen it hitting sustained 20 like in some of the footage I've seen but it never happened and some of my friends who also use SSHDs had a similar experience to myself. I also never had streaming issues in Novigrad, something I also would immediately notice. Curious if you or someone could look into it. I genuinely want to solve why performance felt more solid for me than others since I am somebody who would be very vocal if I had those massive sustained drops. Harddrives don't seem like something that would lead to a framerate difference but it's the only thing that's different about my console.

It was pretty fucked up for me the last couple months.
Never felt that way at all, not even close and I've been playing it since it released. Admittedly it dropped heavily around the swamps especially while raining, but the vast majority of the game doesn't take place in the swamps. Dipping a few frames in other places never bothered me.

Believe me, while reading this post my eyes would be popping on the floor if they'd started rolling any faster
Careful, sounds dangerous.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus this game's been out for what 2 months now and still patching up for performance? this gen man...

How is that bad? Please cast your eyes back to the first few years of the PS3's life, when many UE3 games would run like dogshit and never get patched. CD RED is doing work they are in no way obligated to do, because 99% of customers are no doubt fine with where the game was.

Top Bottom