• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Unreal Engine 4 PS4 vs. PC

Pretty good and balanced article from DF.

Last week's GDC reveal of Unreal Engine 4 running on PlayStation 4 hardware gave us a revised look at 2012's Elemental PC demo - at the time operating on Core i7 in combination with Nvidia's powerful GTX 680 - and after the dust settled we were curious to see how the two renditions compared directly. This should give us some idea of the ways in which Epic has reshaped its code to better suit the new console platform. Of course, it's early days and UE4 in itself is still in development, but the question remains - to what extent can PS4 match up to a top-end PC?

You'd think that answering that question would be as simple as running the footage side by side and playing spot the difference, but while there's plenty we can learn by doing that, it quickly becomes obvious that Epic hasn't just "ported" over its demo - it has extensively retooled certain elements, sometimes giving the impression of increased detail, sometimes falling short. On a technological level, it's clear that the more computationally expensive effects-work in the original PC version of the demo has been pared back - not surprising bearing in mind that the raw power of the GTX 680 is a significant leap beyond that offered by the new console generation.

Cutbacks aside, the overall impression from the PlayStation 4 showing is positive - in terms of detail, physics and effects, Elemental on PS4 is still a very cool piece of work, and we expect Unreal Engine 4 to pick up on the new wave of consoles exactly where UE3 left off on PS3 and Xbox 360 - as the preferred middleware of choice for next-gen AAA games development.

So just how has the first UE4 tech demo transitioned across from PC to PS4? The biggest casualty is the omission of real-time global illumination, which produced some really impressive lighting in the original presentation - specifically in the way that light sources "bounce" off different materials. Dynamic generation of shadows also appears to be an issue, but we can't really read too much into that as positioning of the sun appears to have changed significantly from PC to PS4, altering the way the scenes are lit.

While the lack of real-time GI is a bit of a blow, we get the impression that this really heavy tech proved too much for the new console hardware (and bearing in mind the power of the PS4, an array of lower/mid-range PC graphics cards too) because it's been replaced with an enhanced solution of the "baked", pre-computed lighting system used in Unreal Engine 3: Lightmass. This works in combination with a form of real-time global illumination on objects - not exactly a new approach, as the same basic principles were in place on Halo 3.

Other effects have definitely been scaled back, but not to an extent that has much of an impact on the presentation - GPU particles are fewer in number, depth of field has been significantly retooled and isn't quite as impactful on PS4, while object-based motion blur appears to have been removed. The flowing lava effect had real depth and texture to it in the original PC version - on PS4, it's significantly flatter.

One curious aspect concerns the sweeping flyby outside of the Elemental Knight's fortress - this was one of the most spectacular aspects of the original demo, but it's been excised from the PS4 version, which in turn gets an extended outro sequence we didn't see on PC, where the physics and destruction tech really gets a thorough workout, culminating in the arrival of the fiery Elemental Knight's more icy nemesis.

Aside from this new content, we also noticed that there's been a fair amount of retooling to assets throughout the demo - the fortress gets completely re-lit and the bare walls of the PC version are replaced with more detailed texture-work, with the reveal of this exterior backed by fiery volcanic rocks streaking through the sky. Base geometry on the fortress interior has been changed too - even down to individual rock formations being somewhat different to the original PC version. It's hard to imagine that Epic had artists redraw minimalist detail like this so we wonder whether tessellation effects (the process of dynamically generating extra geometric detail) have been tweaked for the PlayStation 4 presentation.

On the one hand, seeing a year-old PC demo scaled down a tad to work on PlayStation 4 hardware probably isn't what console gamers would expect, and doesn't quite tally when other developers are talking about PS4 out-powering most PCs for years to come. But it is important to put all of this into context. The DirectX 11 API is very mature while the PS4 tools and APIs are still in their initial stages of development - it's going to take time for devs to fully get to grips with the new hardware. Over and above that, assuming this is the same demo that was shown at the PlayStation 4 reveal, we know for a fact that most studios only received final dev kits in the weeks beforehand, the suggestion being that most of the UE4 work will have been produced on unfinished hardware.

With all of this in mind, the fact that PS4 is within striking distance at all is a fairly substantial achievement. Only the omission of Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination tech (SVOGI) comes across as a disappointment - and from this, it's difficult to avoid the conclusion that at a base-line level, the next generation of console hardware isn't quite as powerful as Epic was hoping for this time last year.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-unreal-engine-4-ps4-vs-pc

Be sure to read the last two paragraphs.

sTeLioSco

Banned
vs alpha ps4 devkits

" ...while the PS4 tools and APIs are still in their initial stages of development - it's going to take time for devs to fully get to grips with the new hardware. Over and above that, assuming this is the same demo that was shown at the PlayStation 4 reveal, we know for a fact that most studios only received final dev kits in the weeks beforehand, the suggestion being that most of the UE4 work will have been produced on unfinished hardware."

the news are that unreal engine 4 supports ps4 (and xbox next)

game-play from killzone looked better than the quickport elemental demo.....
thats self-explanatory

vs alpha ps4 devkits

" ...while the PS4 tools and APIs are still in their initial stages of development - it's going to take time for devs to fully get to grips with the new hardware. Over and above that, assuming this is the same demo that was shown at the PlayStation 4 reveal, we know for a fact that most studios only received final dev kits in the weeks beforehand, the suggestion being that most of the UE4 work will have been produced on unfinished hardware."

the news are that unreal engine 4 supports ps4 (and xbox next)

Yeah. They clearly mention that in the article and I made sure to bold it.

Respawn

Banned
Didn't even realize their sun was repositioned.
Not final kits so I'll wait. Nevertheless it was a good demo.

for some reason i dont think you know better than mark rain....

Oh yeah, he's an expert:

2007 Mark Rein interview about UT3 on PC (among other things):

“DirectX 10 lets us do some things in the engine we can’t normally, but we won’t be using it at launch. Maybe a patch later, I suppose.”

I was aghast and wanted to know a bit more – by ‘things’ did he mean finding a way to use anti-aliasing in the Unreal Engine 3 as well as using Multiple Render Targets? This seemed to be what we saw in Gears of War PC…

“Ha! Um, that stuff is all a little over my head nowadays. I guess you’d have to ask one of the tech guys or programmers.”

But what about all those people who said PS4 would be impossible on a PC for at least 2-3 years...

----------------------

Seriously though it is a bit disappointing, but its UE4 so not exactly an exciting engine; but I am increasingly worried that next gen will not lead to new art styles, freedoms or choices.

Just programmers jobs will get a bit easier :(

This was expected the engine still needs more time and tuning for PS4 but PC hardware still above it .
Still consoles games going to look great so people should not be angry everyone wins both PC and console gamers win .
Looking forward to seeing games using UE4 and other engines .

But what about all those people who said PS4 would be impossible on a PC for at least 2-3 years...

----------------------

Seriously though it is a bit disappointing, but its UE4 so not exactly an exciting engine; but I am increasingly worried that next gen will not lead to new art styles, freedoms or choices.

Just programmers jobs will get a bit easier :(

But it is an extremely popular engine. Save for a few games (Bioshock Infinite, Bulletstorm, Arkham City) UE games tend to be rather bland but it's easy to use and very popular with developers of all sizes.

Randy

So few differences on a non-final PS4-devkit. Not to mention that other PS4-games shown were a tad prettier than the PC-Unreal 4 Elemental showing.

Pretty impressive given the delta in power and price between the two platforms. Strangely, DOF and particle effects are present in some scenes and missing in others on the PS4. If they add those back and put in motion blur as well, it'll be 90% there. It'll look even closer now that SVOGI is out, too. Frame rate takes a crap when physics get heavy, too. Hopefully they can optimize that more.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Pretty impressive given the delta in power and price between the two platforms. Strangely, DOF and particle effects are present in some scenes and missing in others on the PS4. If they add those back and put in motion blur as well, it'll be 90% there. It'll look even closer now that SVOGI is out, too. Frame rate takes a crap when physics get heavy, too. Hopefully they can optimize that more.
PLevqKUl.png

But it is an extremely popular engine. Save for a few games (Bioshock Infinite, Bulletstorm, Arkham City) UE games tend to be rather bland but it's easy to use and very popular with developers of all sizes.

I know I just mean I never expected it to be anything great. The UE4 developer demo was very 'meh' for me. UE4 isn't the only engine that will be available or used so am not going to cut down PS4 on it alone.

I just wasn't expecting it to show me what any of the new consoles could do frankly. Well, not until devs start putting their own spin on it.

Early tech demos are unotimized and runnning on devkits, hell even the new Killzone looks better than the UE4 PS4 demo imo

Yup.

Meh. Bit disappointing. But at the end of the day, PC Gamers are still going to get ports of higher-quality bases, so it's merely a question of how much better than current gen they're going to be.

Majanew

Banned
SVOGI not making it, is the only thing that makes me sad. Still impressed how good it looks. And on non-final dev kits, too. Games are going to look fantastic for years to come on PS4. Can't wait to see how well Durango runs the Elemental demo if they show it on the system. Hopefully, the same, if not better.

We all knew (even if some refused to accept it) that next-gen console hardware is middling in terms of performance. I just hope Epic keeps SVOGI as an option for the PC version of the engine, although I have no idea if it's feasible to include it as a toggle or if it is easy to flip this on and off at will.

nbthedude

Early tech demos are unotimized and runnning on devkits, hell even the new Killzone looks better than the UE4 PS4 demo imo

And look at the UE3 demo form last gen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plnh28ykavQ

Early gen games maybe did not look this good. But GoW3, Uncharted 3, KZ3, Skyrim etc look better imo

But that is also somewhat true for the UE demo on current PC graphics cards. The support may be more mature but the month over month gain many cards get in performance from new driver updates for in new released games is indicative of the same kind of thing. These videocards are not optimized for UE 4 yet either. Even if they may be further along, it is not like their performance gains suddenly stops and waits for PS4 to catch up.

V_Arnold

That is fine for me. I would not expect mass to the flowing of lava and bouncing light in the games I play on PC either. *still plays SCII on everything set on minimum*

Tomcat

exactly
ue was the winner of this generation. many great games are on this engine so people should show some respect.

Durante

I can feel a lot of hate from pc fanboy just like nvidia
Yes, that must be it. Digital Foundry, who purposefully use a low-end PC in multiplatform comparisons, is secretly staffed by an army of horrible PC fanboys. Rather than just people who care about technology.

JB1981

People that care about tech and what the new consoles can do?

Doesn't seem like a very accurate indication of what the console can do though. Just an accurate indication of what the programmers can do based on their limited time with the architecture

I can feel a lot of hate from pc fanboy just like nvidia

Not hate, just cynicism. No one likes being told that 1.8 Tflop hardware is as good as/better than hardware that produces 3.5+ Tflops unless they are so emotionally invested in seeing the PS4 succeed that they'll just nod blithely.

The marketing men are saying nice things to make you buy it because their business model relies on you buying it.

stryke

I hope they'll do the Agni philosophy demo comparison because that shit looked exactly the same on PS4 and PC.

I'm pretty sure they just ran the PC demo. After Agnis finished, Hashimoto said it was the "quality we are targeting for our next generation titles".

JB1981

Not hate, just cynicism. No one likes being told that 1.8 Tflop hardware is as good as/better than hardware that produces 3.5+ Tflops unless they are so emotionally invested in seeing the PS4 succeed that they'll just nod blithely.

The marketing men are saying nice things to make you buy it because their business model relies on you buying it.

There is emotional investment on both sides

Mario007

I'm pretty sure they just ran the PC demo. After Agnis finished, Hashimoto said it was the "quality we are targeting for our next generation titles".
And before the demo he clearly said that it was running on PS4 hardware. I interpret his second statement as meaning 'we want FF to look like this this gen'.

People that care about tech and what the new consoles can do?

Still it's not like this tech demo going to give us a full picture of what the console can do it was done on unfinished hardware .
If your talking about comparing it to PC well that is no contest since PC should win 100% thanks to it's hardware .
Consoles games will look great but they can't match up to high end PC if you have the hardware.

There is emotional investment on both sides

Quite right. I'm sure there are PC guys who spent a lot of money on their hardware who don't like being told that their machine has been caught up/superseded by a £400 console, or are at least being told as much by marketing men.

Still it's not like this tech demo going to give us a full picture of what the console can do it was done on unfinished hardware .
If your talking about comparing it to PC well that is no contest since PC should win 100% thanks to it's hardware .
Consoles games will look great but they can't match up to high end PC if you have the hardware.

It may not give us a full picture, but it gives us a picture. People like discussing upcoming tech, I don't see the big deal.

Hawk269

It is very impressive still, even at the PS4's early stage. For me the big question is if games will run at full 1080p or are we going to get scaled 720p to 1080p. If we get Native 1080p, I will be happy.

orioto

Good Art™
And that's why good graphics is more about art and smart use of ressources than raw rendering power. This demo is almost a living proof of how you use the most computing possible for a crappy graphical result.

Top Bottom