• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Videocast #7: Hands-On with Nintendo Switch

TLZ

Banned
So a very impressive handheld but underwhelming console compared to PS4/Xbox/PC. Pretty much what 90% of us knew going in.

Perfectly fine with me.
No. Underwhelming when they compared to Wii u it wasn't that different calling it Wii u 2.0. THAT is the problem. I have a Wii u so what's the incentive for me buying this? Almost same gfx in a different device? DF shared my feelings exactly. Everything I've seen so far looks Wii u quality. I wish they'd have released this as a portable only or can be played on TV not the other way around. We wouldn't have had much negatives then. But they obviously want this marketed as a home console first because they're obviously trying to get rid of a home console only device. Their portables always do well so that's where the money is and they're not competing with Sony and MS anymore. And if their portable can be the best there is and can duo as a home console (albeit a very weak one) the why not.

Makes me sad as a home console enthusiast but what can I do :( I'd have been OK if they continued supporting their Wii u level switch games on the Wii u as well so we don't feel shafted. All the games I've seen look like Wii u games so why can't I have them on my Wii u? At least I can have Zelda, but that's it. Odyssey looks like a Wii u game, wish they made it on Wii u too. (Yes I know all that unified Dev team whatever but that's not my concern)

Anyway I'll wait to the end of the year for hopefully better pricing and bundles.

Edit: If they ported all their Wii u games to the switch and available day one and downloaded for free from my nintendo account because i already own them I wouldn't feel as shafted. Would be just a matter of swapping form factors with all my games available day one. I would've definitely traded in my wii u for this then.

Edit: If they ported all their Wii u games to the switch and available day one and downloaded for free from my nintendo account because i already own them I wouldn't feel as shafted.
This feels like an incredibly obtuse form of port port begging, taking place in a nightmarish alternate timeline where Steam sales have devalued all games permanently.

I do agree though that I hope they give some confidence that they will end up porting all the major Wii U games to the switch, with an extra incentive like Splatoon 2 or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. That would at least eliminate the need to keep a Wii U around instead of trading it in.

ghibli99

It's incredibly worrying that games seem to be having so much trouble running in docked mode. I'm really hoping that a lot of this is just games not being finished yet.

I'm buying a Switch anyway because I need Splatoon and Xenoblade, but I can't say I'm not disappointed that Nintendo decided to go with the hybrid over the separate handheld and console with a shared library approach.
Wouldn't a shared library defeat the purpose of having two systems though? This is fine when your base game is something that runs well on the underpowered piece of hardware, but it doesn't work the same going the other way.

I think what the DF guys say is absolutely correct: it should have just been marketed as the replacement for everything... they were probably just too nervous to cut the cord on the 3DS, especially with Pokemon SM's recent release. But, that's not to say that that announcement won't be coming at some point in the future. I'm perfectly fine with a system that is like the Switch that can be developed for easily and can serve both markets.

Pokemaniac

Wouldn't a shared library defeat the purpose of having two systems though? This is fine when your base game is something that runs well on the underpowered piece of hardware, but it doesn't work the same going the other way.

I think what the DF guys say is absolutely correct: it should have just been marketed as the replacement for everything... they were probably just too nervous to cut the cord on the 3DS, especially with Pokemon SM's recent release. But, that's not to say that that announcement won't be coming at some point in the future. I'm perfectly fine with a system that is like the Switch that can be developed for easily and can serve both markets.

The difference is that the shared library would have still allowed exclusive games to have existed where appropriate. The need for everything to be able to run in both modes is one of the main disadvantages of a hybrid (the other obviously being the whole jack of all trades, master of none aspect).

I agree with Digital Foundry's assessments that the Switch is a very impressive handheld device, and an average set top console.

Is battery life a reason why Nintendo chose to market it the other way around?

Due to how many games reportedly look fuzzy and often don't reach 1080p when in docked mode, I have a feeling that I will play this system almost exclusively either as a handheld, or in tabletop mode.

Top Bottom