• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Videocast #7: Hands-On with Nintendo Switch

Mario will be 720p when docked? That can't be right and if so that is embarassing for a new system that is $300 coming out in 2017.

In the Zelda Switch DF video, Richard speculated that what they may be doing is initially building games to make sure that they work perfectly in the handheld mode before putting in additional work into the console form. So, that would explain why some games are being shown in 720p right now. At least that's the hope.

Rncewind

I think it's for the best if Switch gets a better 3DS version instead of the Ps4 version.

when Nintendo throws some money in maybe they can have a downscaled ps4 version and a upscaled 3ds version in one game, where you can switch when you press a button

this would be a selling point for me for the switch version

Taker666

Again, Switch really is Wii U 2.0. It essentially just doubles down on the original Wii U concept, except you can actually take the thing anywhere you go, rather than only being able to do off-tv play. The joycon controllers do little to change the equation either since the mainstream interest in motion controls died years ago.

Frankly, as someone who just wants a home console... it's a worse concept than Wii U for me.

At least with the Wii U the second screen had an actual use in games like Splatoon and ZOMBIU etc. The screen on the Switch is an entirely useless addition for me as I have no need for gaming on the go.
I just want the Vita TV version...I'm unlikely to buy this "home console" until that happens (unless it gets a big price cut).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hehe, my expectations about it being a lightly modified TX1, if it all modified seem to be right. As that is about 2x the 360 in performance. Nintendo are going to make quite the margin in profit on each unit sold. At least they have plenty of room to lower it if it flops and still make a profit. They probably won't though.

The chip is only one part of the machine tho. the included dock, joycon and such all feed into the price they set. Without the dock which is almost 100 on its own, i think it could have been cheaper

Cartho

Do we think it could be theoretically be possible for Nintendo to release a special dock, in a year or two's time, which has got additional processing grunt in it that allows full 1080p etc to supporting games when in docked mode? A sort of "pro dock" for the real enthusiasts. Games would need to support it, but if they did they would run at the standard 720p in portable mode but the docked profile would be updated to allow native 1080p (or even higher perhaps depending on the hardware in the dock) when docked.

Is this something which is technically even possible? Or would it necessitate an entirely new Switch tablet too?

S1kkZ

so far, handheld and docked versions look identical (aside from resolution).
it will be interesting to see if this is a mandate from nintendo or if there will be games that lose some significant graphical features (aside from resolution) when played in handheld mode.

@cartho: the current dock, which is just a hunk of plastic, is almost 100,- . i dont want to imagine how expensive an upgraded dock would be...

azyless

Positives:

- must perceive it from a handheld perspective. Ultimately, the Switch is stunning as a handheld, but underwhelming if you only look at it as being a home console.
I don't know why anyone would think differently, the console is litterally a tablet with an HDMI output.
Tbh I think the only reason Nintendo is marketing it as a home console is because 330€ for a handheld would never work.

Do we think it could be theoretically be possible for Nintendo to release a special dock, in a year or two's time, which has got additional processing grunt in it that allows full 1080p etc to supporting games when in docked mode? A sort of "pro dock" for the real enthusiasts. Games would need to support it, but if they did they would run at the standard 720p in portable mode but the docked profile would be updated to allow native 1080p (or even higher perhaps depending on the hardware in the dock) when docked.

Is this something which is technically even possible? Or would it necessitate an entirely new Switch tablet too?

Nope - but they can release Switch Pro with more powerfull Nvidia chip inside.

The docked observations are alarming.

words like "disappointing, low resolution a lot of the games were, looked kind of awful, a lot of games were very disappointing, not sure about the value proposition"

the more they talk, they worse it gets.

when Nintendo throws some money in maybe they can have a downscaled ps4 version and a upscaled 3ds version in one game, where you can switch when you press a button

this would be a selling point for me for the switch version

Since I'm not sure if the Switch version will release at the same time as the 3DS and PS4 versions I guess that would be the best possible scenario.

I don't know why anyone would think differently, the console is litterally a tablet with an HDMI output.
Tbh I think the only reason Nintendo is marketing it as a home console is because 330€ for a handheld would never work.
That and they're still trying to squeeze out sales for the 3DS.

In the Zelda Switch DF video, Richard speculated that what they may be doing is initially building games to make sure that they work perfectly in the handheld mode before putting in additional work into the console form. So, that would explain why some games are being shown in 720p right now. At least that's the hope.

Zelda i can live with 900p but 720p is no longer acceptable imo for a game console releasing in 2017. I understand it will be 60fps but still. Handheld sure, the screen looks bright and beautiful but it appears they are sacrificing too much when in docked mode.

Inuhanyou

Including hardware into the dock like that would severely boost the price beyond what would be feasible for a home console OR a handheld.

This is why they made sure that everything hardware wise was packed into the tablet and the dock was just there to provide power, in order to let the Switch turn on the low spinning fans and bring it back to max clock.

What you should know is that the dock is not providing power to the tablet, it is only allowing it to go back to its normal clocks. Off the dock it runs underclocked significantly.

pulsemyne

Mario will be 720p when docked? That can't be right and if so that is embarassing for a new system that is $300 coming out in 2017.

Mario is 1080p 60fps. Just watch the trailer for it. Also Zelda MAY, and I say may, be 1080p as the video is 1080p however it's certainly not 60fps.

Mario is a ver early build and not even playable at any of the events yet, so I wouldn't take too much notice this soon, there is a lot of time for it to improve.

But even if it's 720p when the game is released, if the game is fantastic then it really shouldn't matter.

If gamers have gotton to the point where they won't play a great game just because of it's resolution, then it really is a sad state of affairs.

7threst

Eveybody losing their shit on 720p docked. I have pretty low standards on visuals it seems. Or very bad sight, because I just like what I see.

That said, I feel bad for people disappointed by this when they were looking forward to the Nintendo Switch.

Inuhanyou

Mario is 1080p 60fps. Just watch the trailer for it. Also Zelda MAY, and I say may, be 1080p as the video is 1080p however it's certainly not 60fps.

neither of them are 1080p. Have you been keeping up with the thread?

Antagon

so far, handheld and docked versions look identical (aside from resolution).
it will be interesting to see if this is a mandate from nintendo or if there will be games that lose some significant graphical features (aside from resolution) when played in handheld mode.

@cartho: the current dock, which is just a hunk of plastic, is almost 100,- . i dont want to imagine how expensive an upgraded dock would be...

Are you sure about that? I've read somewhere that BotW has improved draw distance (and probably some other stuff as well) when docked. That would also explain why the resolution is not bumped to 1080p like for example Mario Kart.

Irminsul

I don't quite get why a game releasing in eleven months is a sign of things to come whereas a game releasing in three months (i.e., Mario Kart) isn't.

azyless

Because that's what Nintendo is positioning and marketing it as.
I mean I mention that literally in the next sentence. I meant why anyone on Neogaf, who will know what the Switch actually is rather than blindly following Nintendo's nonsensical marketing, would think that this is a home console. Like, why ? Because it connects to the TV ? That's ridiculous to me.

Rncewind

Yes, meaning if the port can achieve 1080p/60, surely the flagship title cannot... err, what?

if you thinking that a wiiu port is visually more taxing and impressive (which isnt even the same type of game/genre) and we should take this as in indicator, hey. all power to you

i think this is stupid tho and it seems i am in the majority

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Even on Xbox One many titles arent 1080p - feels weird that so many are surprised that unfinished early games on a less powerful system wouldnt have many build running at 1080p.

Expectations when it comes to Switch are all over the place.

I mean I mention that literally in the next sentence. I mean why anyone on Neogaf, who will know what the Switch actually is rather than blindly following Nintendo's nonsensical marketing, would think that this is a home console. Like, why ? Because it connects to the TV ? That's ridiculous to me.

I think that's one of Nintendo's mistakes with the Switch, it's clearly a handheld system and a really great one too but Nintendo want to push it as a home console first and handheld second when it really should be the other way around.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think I'm out. I want to play Zelda, but I don't want to reward Nintendo for this system, at this price. I could take that $360+ that I would have saved for this, and play such a variety of games between now and April. This value proposition just isn't worth it. Throw in pay to play online and I just can't do it (this totally kills Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 for me.)

Schnozberry

Even on Xbox One many titles arent 1080p - feels weird that so many are surprised that unfinished early games on a less powerful system wouldnt have many build running at 1080p.

Especially Digital Foundry, knowing everything they did prior to release about clock speeds and being based on a Tegra X1.

They are clearly speaking to a specific consumer though, and this is probably what those people are interested in hearing. If you sat down non-core gamers in front of a Digital Foundry video, they would find it pretty pedantic.

Rncewind

"even on xbox one"

i get a xbox one with 500 gb and battlefield 1 at best buy, without any offers (and they are plenty) at the same price as switch

There's a huge part of the Switch audience that's just looking for a home console experience. The fact that it's a good handheld doesn't lessen the sting of it being a pretty bad home console.

This hybrid approach was a mistake.

13 million people bought the Wii U.
61 million people bought the 3DS.

Their handheld systems have always outsold their home systems by a substantial margin each generation. Not even when the Wii was selling gangbusters it managed to reach the heights of the Nintendo DS.

There's no reason to believe that they would be able to expand their home console base significantly by making a Nintendo Scorpio. That audience expects Nintendo to step out of their comfort zone of modest production- and marketing budgets, which is something I think they'll never do. BotW is seemingly their most ambitious title to date (open world, voice acting, lots of detailed animation), yet it's going to compare unfavourably in the eyes of that audience to something like Horizon and The Witcher, because Nintendo cut corners on textures, dialogue, and other production values.

I was down on the hybrid concept at first, but the gulf between the tech you can fit in a portable, and what fits in a console, is large enough that it'd be contrary to their goal.

opricnik

Banned
Thing is to hide lack of power you would think they should have priced console more cheaper , include games in pack , no online paid and lots of games at launch but no they literally did against all. I still cant believe something like USF2 exist . That should have been 10$ VC game.

Rncewind

13 million people bought the Wii U.
61 million people bought the 3DS.

Their handheld systems have always outsold their home systems by a substantial margin each generation. Not even when the Wii was selling gangbusters it managed to reach the heights of the Nintendo DS.

There's no reason to believe that they would be able to expand their home console base significantly by making a Nintendo Scorpio. That audience expects Nintendo to step out of their comfort zone of modest production- and marketing budgets, which is something I think they'll never do. BotW is seemingly their most ambitious title to date (open world, voice acting, lots of detailed animation), yet it's going to compare unfavourably in the eyes of that audience to something like Horizon and The Witcher, because Nintendo cut corners on textures, dialogue, and other production values.

I was down on the hybrid concept at first, but the gulf between the tech you can fit in a portable, and what fits in a console, is large enough that it'd be contrary to their goal.

i would agree with you if the switchs line up would not be 95% console games and 3ds would be supported at least 1 full year. And i dont mean reggies dumb talk but stuff like a new SMT comming to 3ds with no switch version this year while we got a Early concept of a SMT game for wiiu where we even dont know if its exclusive, i would bet its not

this looks more of a wiiu replacement then a handheld by far

I think that's one of Nintendo's mistakes with the Switch, it's clearly a handheld system and a really great one too but Nintendo want to push it as a home console first and handheld second when it really should be the other way around.
I think they had to market it as a console otherwise it would be even harder to justify the paid online, games at full price, and the overpriced accessories.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Especially Digital Foundry, knowing everything they did prior to release about clock speeds and being based on a Tegra X1.

They are clearly speaking to a specific consumer though, and this is probably what those people are interested in hearing. If you sat down non-core gamers in front of a Digital Foundry video, they would find it pretty pedantic.

Yeah you are probably right about that - still hope that the performance on stuff like Bomberman or Disgaea improves until launch - thats def. not on the system
"even on xbox one"

i get a xbox one with 500 gb and battlefield 1 at best buy, without any offers (and they are plenty) at the same price as switch

Cool, buy a Xbox One w. BF1 then - its a good system.

Tyaren

I will wait until they port Ni No Kuni 2, Final Fantasy XV and VII: Remake and Draqon Quest XI to Switch.

There is no way FFXV will run properly on Switch without massive (and I really mean massive) downgrades. Already PS4 and Xbox One are struggling and they are a good deal more powerful than Switch.

The chip is only one part of the machine tho. the included dock, joycon and such all feed into the price they set. Without the dock which is almost 100 on its own, i think it could have been cheaper

The dock is expensive sold on it's own but I bet there is a large profit margin on that thing.

Amneisac

You are correct, I got mixed up, I should have put Splatoon 2 (here in the video at 11:12 mark) I have now corrected.

Are they going to buy though?

Is wanting to play MK8 with a few extra tracks and Splatoon with some extra weapons and maps or Zelda BotW on the go enough to warrant the cost, when buying Zelda BotW for £40 on their WiiU and playing the house would maybe suffice?

For launch, perhaps, but this is where the Nintendo games will be going forward. That's why I bought one.

900p on BOTW was already disappointing but Mario and Splatoon running at 720p in docked mode is not acceptable. I'm not going to pay 320€ for that old hardware.

Ryuuga

Banned
See most of the reports praise the handheld experience, but I'm buying this primarily for the home console experience. I've always held the opinion that this is a home console compromised by it's portability, that appears to be the case.

Top Bottom