• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Xbox One S

John Wick

In the past, node shrinks produced cost savings, but you do realize its been getting more and more expensive right? Node savings don't reproduce the same kind of cost to performance ratio that they did in the past.

In addition to that, they have already been making the current PS4 model's internals cheaper to produce under marginal number revisions, 16nm isn't going to make it that much cheaper. Its more about power savings moving to 16nm.

As i said before. a slim PS4 and NEO is not happening because Sony is focusing on NEO as the alternate PS4 and are not going to introduce another PS4 into the equation

Did you read the OP?
Panello states they've shrunk the original APU by 33%. That's including the ESRAM. So I would assume Sony and AMD might get the same or even better result with the PS4 APU. That's less silicon per chip. More chips per wafer etc. The cost saving over time will easy recoup any design costs. Less power equals less heat etc. So smaller power power supply and cooling etc.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yup! That makes perfect sense. They'll release a slimline model of the Neo before they'll release a die shrink model of the PS4???? Lol

If NEO is the penultimate PS4, yeah, i think NEO getting a 10 or 7nm revision is more likely than Sony devaluing NEO with a slimline model of PS4 at the same time they launch the NEO.

Don't think its smart for MS to launch an S model with Scorpio coming out next year and def don't think it would be smart for Sony with NEO supposedly coming out this year along with PSVR

Also, why triple post just to respond to my arguments one after another? Atleast put them all in the same post.

In the age of phones, people buying up the shit that is newest and most shiny is even more important to sales

Sure, that's why Apple holds a massive event for a 10 second presentation saying, "It's new, shiny. One more thing...Shiny". The newness is obviously plays a roll. I buy things to just buy something all the time, but no company releases products without selling points. UHD bluray playback will be huge for this device, and was almost necessary for an underpowered console refresh.

goonergaz

For gamers only, maybe. When your step-dad calls you up and asks what the downside is for a $300 UHD BluRay player when companies are selling them for $400 with less features, then media is a bigger deal. Not sure how you market "newness." Not a lot of people are keen on being told they are wasting money, they want help rationalizing purchases.

If 4K is that important then I would suggest noise might also me important

a.wd

I am so looking forward to getting my 4k tv and my S, looks like it will be a worthwhile upgrade all around.

sense

Competing with XB1 S is unnecessary if they price OG PS4 right. I don't know when you expect this 16nm PS4, but i already expect an official 299-249 price drop of the OG PS4 when NEO is announced without any major SKU revisions of OG PS4. i think NEO may get a slimline model before OG PS4 ever does, but that's years away IMO

just to add to the argument for a new version alongside Neo, someone on the media create thread just posted that Sony is narrowing PS4 shipment heavily for some unknown reason as per credible japan blog. apparently there are some killer deals going around in EU as well from the PAL thread so Sony could be cleaning up remaining stock at the moment.

goonergaz

“
Console noise is indeed more noticeable across the room compared to the older model, but by and large, it's still a relatively quiet machine.
“
This is literally it. Both sides can take from it what they want.

Well it's not silent (which is what you said) and I will quote "the pitch of the noise from the drive and indeed the machine as a whole is definitely audiable from across the room, it's a touch anoying for a media machine which you would want to be as descrete as possible".

Ceratinly doesn't sound ideal...and that's when it's new, what will it be like 'down the line' when it's clogged up with dust?

timberger

Guess they finally got around to that future beta testing they promised at the XB1 launch.

Sucks for those of us who've been beta testing for them with the older console up to now of course.

c0de

Ceratinly doesn't sound ideal...and that's when it's new, what will it be like 'down the line' when it's clogged up with dust?

How much louder did the old bone get? How much louder does the competition get?
I mean, we have to use old and other data as we can't take a look in the future.

goonergaz

How much louder did the old bone get? How much louder does the competition get?
I mean, we have to use old and other data as we can't take a look in the future.

I'm just saying it's not going to get quieter and it's already "a touch anoying for a media machine"

TitusTroy

this new console refresh from Sony and Microsoft is a terrible precedent...one of the biggest advantages of consoles over PC was their lifespan...now we're getting mini-PC refreshes not even 2 years into their life cycle...

Impulsor

silent but you can hear it? have you tried a 4k film yet where it get's even louder?

I have, and it does get louder because the drive is continuosly reading the disc.

Have you watched movies on the OG Xbox One? The drive made more noise too. When playing videogames the drive isnt used so it stays silent.

Vashetti

Banned
this new console refresh from Sony and Microsoft is a terrible precedent...one of the biggest advantages of consoles over PC was their lifespan...now we're getting mini-PC refreshes not even 2 years into their life cycle...

Both PS4 and XB1 were released in 2013.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Its been almost 3 years. Also the generation stays the same. If you want to continue how things usually are, don't pick up NEO and buy PS5.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
silent but you can hear it? have you tried a 4k film yet where it get's even louder?

Maybe you should get both a one S And the Samsung drive and compare them then! No one will care or ask about the noise when looking to buy one. What I can tell you is i can't hear my Xbox One S when watching 4k movies on it as my TV/sound system is louder and it should be the same for most people.

TitusTroy

And nothing changes with Neo and S, as many have pointed out above and has been confirmed by Sony and Ms!

everything changes...more power efficient, better graphics, guaranteed 60 fps, 4k support etc

And PS4 will last 6 years or more, problem?

it's not the same, as the old PS4 (and Xbox) will not be the 'best' PS4...previously with consoles you were guaranteed the best and only version for the life of the console

goonergaz

Maybe you should get both a one S And the Samsung drive and compare them then! No one will care or ask about the noise when looking to buy one. What I can tell you is i can't hear my Xbox One S when watching 4k movies on it as my TV/sound system is louder and it should be the same for most people.

I'm only going by the review - he stated clearly audiable...not sure what you're running to create more than 49db? TV, Amp and One is all you need surely?

either way, glad it's ok for you!

GorillaJu

I'm happy that they bumped the specs a bit along with the new form factor, but if this generation has taught me anything it's that I really don't care about the absolute cutting edge of graphics.

Scrawnton

Guys I sit 12 feet from my Xbox One S and it doesn't make a sound that I can hear, even when game volume is muted. If I walk within three feet of it I can hear a slight fan noise.

I watched a UHD Blu Ray last night on it and I heard no disc noise at all.

psychotron

It's not though, in the review he said you can hear it across the room - listen to the review from 5:10 to 5:55

This actually has me reconsidering getting it. I deal with my PS4 being as loud as it is, because it's only on when I'm gaming. The XB1 however, is on when my wife and I are watching tv. I can't hear my current XB1 across the room, even though I can hear a bit of squeaky fan up close. If I can hear this thing across the room, it might very well be a deal breaker.

dealer-

Guys I sit 12 feet from my Xbox One S and it doesn't make a sound that I can hear, even when game volume is muted. If I walk within three feet of it I can hear a slight fan noise.

I watched a UHD Blu Ray last night on it and I heard no disc noise at all.

I think noise levels may vary, some reviews have mentioned louder fan noises while others have said it's comparable to the OG One.

Scrawnton

This actually has me reconsidering getting it. I deal with my PS4 being as loud as it is, because it's only on when I'm gaming. The XB1 however, is on when my wife and I are watching tv. I can't hear my current XB1 across the room, even though I can hear a bit of squeaky fan up close. If I can hear this thing across the room, it might very well be a deal breaker.

You can't hear it from across the room. I just turned mine on without the tv on and I can't hear it. It's definitely more quiet than my PS4, which I can hear even when gaming.

EagleEyes

You can't hear it from across the room. I just turned mine on without the tv on and I can't hear it. It's definitely more quiet than my PS4, which I can hear even when gaming.
I second this. Some people are trying to make a bigger deal than it should be. It is a bit louder than original Xbox One but is a non issue really.

Scrawnton

I second this. Some people are trying to make a bigger deal than it should be. It is a bit louder than original Xbox One but is a non issue really.

Really. When you walk up to it and listen to it from a foot away it's more audible than the OG version. But even digital foundry said it's only a 4db increase, which from far away (as in if you sit six or more feet from your console) is practically the same volume.

EagleEyes

Really. When you walk up to it and listen to it from a foot away it's more audible than the OG version. But even digital foundry said it's only a 4db increase, which from far away (as in if you sit six or more feet from your console) is practically the same volume.
It is nowhere even close to my PS4 when it is under load.

Top Bottom