• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Xbox One S

Three

So the poor designed system stays on the same sound level, even under load while the great designed system gets noticeably louder the more load it's under? I'm confused by your logic.

It gets a lot less confusing if you try to not compare it to a system with a naturally higher TDP and think about it logically. Yes a system should be much quieter and smaller when it has a much lower TDP and an external power supply. It should also be dynamic so quieter when not under load yes. A well designed system doesn't mean quieter than a system with a lower TDP. It just means well designed for what it is.

c0de

It gets a lot less confusing if you try to not compare it to a system with a naturally higher TDP and think about it logically. Yes a system should be much quieter and smaller when it has a much lower TDP and an external power supply. It should also be dynamic so quieter when not under load yes. A well designed system doesn't mean quieter than a system with a lower TDP. It just means well designed for what it is.

The system is well designed when it doesn't get noticeably louder for its main purpose, gaming. For that, it is more quiet than the competition. Is it bigger? Yes. Does it have an external power brick? Yes.

Three

The system is well designed when it doesn't get noticeably louder for its main purpose, gaming. For that, it is more quiet than the competition. Is it bigger? Yes. Does it have an external power brick? Yes.

The problem is that you keep trying to compare it to the competition but the competition naturally has a higher TDP since it is a more powerful system and they have different loads. If you stop making the comparison and consider the fact that the system could be quieter/smaller with a custom design then its idle noise and Blu-Ray playback noise level could be much improved.

Caayn

The problem is that you keep trying to compare it to the competition but the competition naturally has a higher TDP since it is a more powerful system and they have different loads. If you stop making the comparison and consider the fact that the system could be quieter/smaller with a custom design then its idle noise and Blu-Ray playback noise level could be much improved.
You seem awfully hang up on the incorrect usage of the word "custom design". Outside of your precious "custom design" you're ignoring that heatsink size, amount of copper, quality of the fan all contribute to the performance and noise production.

I'd much rather have a "poor" "custom design" that's practically silent in every situation, than a great "custom design" that's audibly when performing its main duty..

Edit: It seems this conversation will go round and round so I'll leave it with this.

Three

You seem awfully hang up on the incorrect usage of the word "custom design". Outside of your precious "custom design" you're ignoring that heatsink size, amount of copper, quality of the fan all contribute to the performance and noise production.

I'd much rather have a "poor" "custom design" that's practically silent in every situation, than a great "custom design" that's audibly when performing its main duty..

Edit: It seems this conversation will go round and round so I'll leave it with this.

Heatsink size, "amount of copper" (this is size again right? By which I assume you mean surface area of the heat exchanger it's aluminium in the One btw) do matter nobody said they don't and if you had been following the conversation instead of being hung up on my use of the word custom design you would know that it isn't "practically silent in every situation" that situation being Blu-ray playback or idle and that I believe it could be better (smaller or quiter) in all situations with a centrafugal custom fan. You on the other hand seem hung up on the competition.

Trup1aya

we all know that obsolete tech is not the reason for the updated consoles this generation...it's about VR and trying to push it to the masses...no VR and there wouldn't be any Neo or Scorpio

1) Your in a thread about the Xbox One S, talking about VR... A tech the Xbox One S doesn't support

2) if they are trying to push VR (which is a new tech) and don't have a device powerful enough to do so, doesn't that amount to there existing hardware becoming obsolete?

3) you still haven't answered the question: how does the release of the Xbox one S, Neo or Scorpio negatively impact an OG Xb1 or PS4 owner?

Hint:
it doesn't

In a world where we can test things. Again this is about blu-ray playback

PS4
PS4noise.png

XBox One
XboxOneNoise.png

The One S is even louder at 47db

source
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-hardware-test
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-playstation-4

For its power draw the XB1 has a poor non-customised cooling solution.

That's definitely the disc drive being lousy, not the cooling system. When gaming even at higher temps there's no increase on xbone like there is on Ps4

Three

That's definitely the disc drive being lousy, not the cooling system. When gaming even at higher temps there's no increase on xbone like there is on Ps4
Absolutely correct there is a 1db increase with the drive spinning. It's mainly the fan when you have 42db when idle though the drive is doing nothing. As is evident from the same increase between game install and game there is the same increase between idle and blu-ray. It's clear that the noise is constant regardless of actual temp when it needn't be. Game and idle had the same noise level but with a 15C difference in temp. Reaching 49C and making the same noise when idle doesn't mean that the cooling solution is good though I guess you are less likely to notice a change in noise than you are a constant noise as your mind drowns it out. It should ramp down really, maintain a steady temp. Reduce noise when idle and playing Blu-rays and prevent thermal cycling. The thing is running damn hot at 49C when gaming.

ZOONAMI

Seems like my Xbox one s is actually louder than my ps4 (ps4 gaming) when playing a 4k bluray. Is this not right? Should I return it?

The elite xbox one I had was virtually silent so this is somewhat disappointing.

Three

What? How cool should a device be under load in your opinion? I mean, every device I own is hotter than that with heavy load.

Well usually it is safe to be below 75. Point was that the temps varied from 35 to 49 which is hot in comparison. I'm not suggesting a given temp, any temp I could give would be mostly arbitrary. But say you ramped the fan even lower and reached 60. How would you assess how good the cooling solution is then? The point was the difference in temp is of no use to the user and the thermal cycling not a particularly good thing. They can aim for a stable temp, reduce noise or reduce formfactor while still keeping below 49C under load because 49C isn't exactly a low temp to aim for especially given the XB1s TDP. It was an assessment of the cooling solution not saying that 49C is too hot to operate or anything.

Seems like my Xbox one s is actually louder than my ps4 (ps4 gaming) when playing a 4k bluray. Is this not right? Should I return it?

The elite xbox one I had was virtually silent so this is somewhat disappointing.

No that is normal the Xbox One S is louder. What elite xbox one, was there an elite?

Novocaine

^ Yeah there was an elite. It has a hybrid SSD drive in it.

That's a shame. My fatty is silent too. Maybe the internal power brick requires it to have more fan power?

Still, if this is giving a significant boost to some games I might take a look at trade in values.

c0de

Point was that the temps varied from 35 to 49 which is hot in comparison.

Your point is not that 49 is high but the difference between 35 and 49?

I'm not suggesting a given temp, any temp I could give would be mostly arbitrary.

The whole points you are trying to make because of no custom fan and now the temperature seems arbitrary.
But say you ramped the fan even lower and reached 60. How would you assess how good the cooling solution is then?

"good"? Sufficient if the chip is designed to operate at that temperature and that was approved in a DUT and if the cooling solution is still silent.
The point was the difference in temp is of no use to the user and the thermal cycling not a particularly good thing.

Users don't care for the temperature in the system, yes. They care for a system being silent, though. And the Xbox One seems to be a silent system, no matter how hot it gets (which it also doesn't).
They can aim for a stable temp, reduce noise or reduce formfactor while still keeping below 49C under load because 49C isn't exactly a low temp to aim for especially given the XB1s TDP.

I don't know but I don't think there are many computers out there that have a stable temperature, besides Raspberry Pi and other special cases. My laptop happily jumps between 45 and 70, for example. This is just usual behavior.
Can the cooling solution be better? Of course. But this can be said with every piece of hardware out there.

It was an assessment of the cooling solution not saying that 49C is too hot to operate or anything.

It is a sufficient cooling solution. In terms of noise, in terms of temperature and in terms of user perception.
No that is normal the Xbox One S is louder. What elite xbox one, was there an elite?[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking the S was the Scorpio, but it seems that's not the case? They need to sort out their marketing. People complain about the 3DS family being badly named! Microsoft have two Xbone S consoles, one stand for slim, one stands for Scorpio. Both are more powerful than an Xbone. I'm lost.

c0de

I've been thinking the S was the Scorpio, but it seems that's not the case? They need to sort out their marketing. People complain about the 3DS family being badly named! Microsoft have two Xbone S consoles, one stand for slim, one stands for Scorpio. Both are more powerful than an Xbone. I'm lost.

Sorry but it was clear that Scorpio is going to be released next year. If there is confusion, it's not only because of the manufacturer.

Caayn

Xbox One S, just like the Xbox 360 S, are the slim/redesigned versions of the original console.

Scorpio is the project name for the next Xbox One family member.
My laptop happily jumps between 45 and 70, for example. This is just usual behavior.
Temperature differences are indeed normal for computer hardware. My watercooled CPU, 88W TDP, happily jumps between 25c and ~50c depending on the load. Most computer components can operate perfectly fine at high temperatures such as 90c. The AMD R9 290(x) for example had a default operating temperature of 93c.

Trup1aya

I think you are one of the few people who are confused by the names.

They announced that the Xbox S is a slim version of the standard Xbox one. While it has some slightly better silicon, they NEVER marketed it as more powerful: It simply runs some games with slightly better framerates

Scorpio is the code name of a system launching next year. They NEVER called the Scorpio "Xbox one S"

Three

Your point is not that 49 is high but the difference between 35 and 49?
The whole points you are trying to make because of no custom fan and now the temperature seems arbitrary.
Yes, because other factors aren't arbitrary to the user. What exactly don't you understand about what I am saying? I'm saying if they are happy about the system cycling up to a high of 49C with main use then they can make it more silent instead of aiming for 35 when idle or watching blu-rays. But it's obvious that the cooling solution isn't all that smart when it maintains its decibel level no matter what and lets temps fluctuate needlessly.

"good"? Sufficient if the chip is designed to operate at that temperature and that was approved in a DUT and if the cooling solution is still silent.
Users don't care for the temperature in the system, yes. They care for a system being silent, though. And the Xbox One seems to be a silent system, no matter how hot it gets (which it also doesn't)..
You keep saying silent but it isn't silent. it's 42db when idle. That is not the definition of silent. you can subjectively say quiet but it is not silent and it's cooling solution is sufficient and I've said so myself but I'm saying it isn't designed well. In terms of temp profiles, noise or form factor.

I don't know but I don't think there are many computers out there that have a stable temperature, besides Raspberry Pi and other special cases. My laptop happily jumps between 45 and 70, for example. This is just usual behavior.
And if your laptop was designed well it would happily turn that fan off/low, maintain a safe temp, save battery and has a small form factor to boot. It would fluctuate high on load but turn the fan to a speed that still maintains it within that ceiling but doesn't drain your battery. Fluctuations are fine when there is a disadvantage in avoiding it not when the user doesn't care between 49C and 35C. Not when you hit 49C in a large form factor low TDP machine but don't lower noise when needed.

Can the cooling solution be better? Of course. But this can be said with every piece of hardware out there.
It is a sufficient cooling solution. In terms of noise, in terms of temperature and in terms of user perception.
And that is exactly what I am saying about the OG Xbox One yet some seem to have a problem with it. In terms of noise when watching blu-rays and in terms of form factor. It is sufficient, as I already said it gets the job done but it really isn't a great designed cooling system IMO. It can be much better designed. Had they gone with a custom centrifugal fan they could have at the very least reduced its size while maintaining their noise levels, even with the external power brick with its own fan.

The One S going louder with a significantly lower TDP should also tell you that. They went for a standard axial fan/heatsink again albeit a low profile standard one still

Top Bottom