• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's evidence-based analysis on Xbox Cloud potential

How much would it cost for Microsoft to run an actual physical server through the course of the X1 life cycle? Does that 300k number even make sense from a financial point?

Bedlam

M°°nblade;59739609 said:
Don't forget:

'If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards'
Sony at E3: "It's always sunny in Playstation land."

maybe the servers/cloud added functionality is only available to those who pay for gold

silver members will have to play the gimped version
That'd be so hilarious, I almost want it to happen just to witness the unprecedented shitstorm.

MasLegio

Banned
How much would it cost for Microsoft to run an actual physical server through the course of the X1 life cycle? Does that 300k number even make sense from a financial point?

maybe the servers/cloud added functionality is only available to those who pay for gold

silver members will have to play the gimped version

ascii42

Yes, but this is for current-type-gaming though. I don't think offloading to the cloud will be generally worth it with the games we already play.

I'm hoping they actually have some NEW ideas. Incorporating MMO ideas into single/multiplayer experiences, for example. Give us some massive worlds and cities that are alive because they are run on the server!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Watch_Dogs wants to have a city full of simulated people. With the cloud, that might actually be possible. You could have AI threads for every single person.

I just don't get how they are going to sell the power of the cloud without always-online. I mean I guess it has potential but how are they going to allow an 'offline' version of a game without severely impairing it?

Maybe that was Microsoft's original? To have an always-online console

MasLegio

Banned
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Watch_Dogs wants to have a city full of simulated people. With the cloud, that might actually be possible. You could have AI threads for every single person.

it would be interesting to get the viewpoints of developers at Bohemia and Bethesda

nib95

Banned

Except when the internet gets awry and the AI goes bonkers and messes up the game world, and potentially even parts of the proposed gameplay scenarios as a result. That or the people without good internet play a more gimped version thus splitting up your user base? Then there's server load, what happens if there are too many people using the servers simultaneously and the load is too much for them to handle? See Sim City and Diablo.

Remember, AI in open world games has already been pretty good, and GTA5 will no doubt improve it further. I'm assuming that this next gen they will make all the improvements at a local level irrespective of anything else, and try to avoid development complexity and unreliability involved with the cloud.

I don't believe there is anything preventing Sony or Nintendo from doing the same.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, and then when the outrage came out about it when it leaked, they chose to make it not always online as that's not backpedalling due to never being revealed.

Certainly a feasible theory

For the record, this is hardly a theory anymore

crazy buttocks on a train confirmed this is EXACTLY what happened. Microsoft originally was going to go with an actually fully online, always on console... that would require an internet connection just to play even single player games. After early gamer backlash against the leaks, Microsoft decided to roll back the most severe requirement and go with a once-every-24-hours check.

Satchel

Banned
people will believe what they want to believe, and 'the cloud' seems like a term that people have been fooled into believing is some magical thing, even though they can't explain how it's different to the internet, or how it works at all.

Is there anyone out there even remotely tech savvy that believes the cloud is anything other than a fancy name for a server or group of servers?

Surfheart

Massive worlds alive with NPCs being calculated in the cloud is a nice theory, but the local cpu and gpu still need to tranform, texture and light these hypothetical rich and complex scenes.

Bedlam

Is there anyone out there even remotely tech savvy that believes the cloud is anything other than a fancy name for a server or group of servers?
Unfortunately, many "game journalists" out there aren't even remotely tech-savvy. Always remember: "complex server-side calculations."

Fistwell

M°°nblade;59739609 said:
Don't forget:

'If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards'
Yeah, quality writing right there. Where do they even find these guys??

Unfortunately, many "game journalists" out there aren't even remotely tech-savvy. Always remember: "complex server-side calculations."
If you don't work at Maxis Microsoft, you literaly don't know what you're talking about.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

But then Ubisoft would have its own servers and could use this for all the consoles out there. Like an Watch Dogs Always Connected version. And even the ctos could be real time cloud based. And then we talk about a different game.

demigod

Im glad a real site called out MS on their bs. Now everyone defending xbone can hush about "the cloud". Time to fall back on your 5bn transistors guys!

Deku Tree

This "power of the Cloud" claims remind me of the original totally unrealistic claims that MS made about what you can do with Kinect.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
But then Ubisoft would have its own servers and could use this for all the consoles out there. Like an Watch Dogs Always Connected version. And even the ctos could be real time cloud based. And then we talk about a different game.

Yep, and you know who owns an industry leading cloud hosting facility that supports all the Same APIs they use for the X1 version and has all the capacity they'll ever need?

mslogo_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

scitek

I still wonder while all of a sudden in this gen it is power that matters most? When was the last time the most powerful console in a gen was the best one with the best games? In fact it is usually the opposite and this was clearly recognized until very recently.

The PS2 did fine when the Xbox was clearly producing better looking games, same with the PS1 VS N64 etc.

It's more that people here are annoyed because resources are being allocated to things that they'll likely rarely use.

Quasar

Yep, and you know who owns an industry leading cloud hosting facility that supports all the Same APIs they use for the X1 version and has all the capacity they'll ever need?

Industry leading? Aren't they behind both Amazon and Google?

Pistolero

Call me naive, but I think this is exactly the way this whole industry is heading. I believe that Cloud computing (for latency tolerant tasks) will allow MS to extend the life of the system.
Always-online would be the price to pay.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yeah, maybe if they cover for the additional development costs for a totally different game than the other versions. Otherwise the 300k sold on Xbone has no added value for Ubisoft.

Edit: not to mention the server related costs, I guess those will be covered from used games fee.

sajj316

Did we really need Digital Foundry to tell us this? They did put it nicely in the comparison of CPU response times to cloud CPU response times. Unless today's modern internet is capable of responding back within 2 nanoseconds, I don't see how cloud based CPUs can increase the throughput of XBONE's existing CPU. Can XBONE relegate some CPU tasks to the cloud, sure? I just don't see how they can depend on tasks specific to rendering, physics, and AI. Maybe stats computations or any CPU tasks away from the game OS.

TheOddOne

Hey, that's how I've, and others, been treated for saying the same thing. Just wondering if they're at least consistent.
I always feels that people who use that logic are often those who just avoiding the actual truth. I don’t indulge those people, their mind is already made up.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Industry leading? Aren't they behind both Amazon and Google?

I forgot how much fun these threads are
n't

They aren't industry leading in consoles either it didn't stop them saying otherwise in the X1 reveal.

ascii42

Did we really need Digital Foundry to tell us this? They did put it nicely in the comparison of CPU response times to cloud CPU response times. Unless today's modern internet is capable of responding back within 2 nanoseconds, I don't see how cloud based CPUs can increase the throughput of XBONE's existing CPU. Can XBONE relegate some CPU tasks to the cloud, sure? I just don't see how they can depend on tasks specific to rendering, physics, and AI. Maybe stats computations or any CPU tasks away from the game OS.

A lot of AI routines don't need to be to the nanosecond. Physics and rendering does. I'm thinking if you have a open world game, and are using the cloud to handle AI, and persist the world, most of that world isn't being directly interacted with by the player, so it doesn't need to respond that quickly.

Duxxy3

The cloud is useful in its own way, but to expect it to render graphics at the same rate the internal GPU can... well it's just not possible.

It's great for storage, but not as useful for processing. The hardware is probably capable of it, but the link isn't up to task.

Surfheart

But what would really be the use in that?
When the AI is near the player character the AI routines would need to be running locally. The cloud processing AI not in your proximity seems pointless since you can neither see or interact with them.

Looking forward to hearing some developers thoughts on it, but surely the engineering effort to farm off tasks to the cloud would make programming for the Cell seem easy in comparison.

KHarvey16

But what would really be the use in that?
When the AI is near the player character the AI routines would need to be running locally. The cloud processing AI not in your proximity seems pointless since you can neither see or interact with them.

Looking forward to hearing some developers thoughts on it, but surely the engineering effort to farm off tasks to the cloud would make programming for the Cell seem easy in comparison.

The offloading of AI is discussed in the article among a few other potential areas the cloud can be used. These sections of the article weren't quoted in the OP.

Top Bottom