• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: X1 memory performance improved for production console/ESRAM 192 GB/s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayu26

Look arguing about tone and/or rhetoric of Leadbetter's articles is not going to take us anywhere. They are just too subjective.

I agree with the notion that questioning DF's credibility is the logical progression for this OP but there needs to be something substantial.

Of course you're out now after falsely attributing posts to me and not backing it up, even with a free PS4 on the line. It makes me question your credibility if the truth isn't important to you.

And how can you NOT see the irony of you constantly throwing around the "fanboy" term? :)

Okay, I will make this one last post in this thread only to address this.

When I responded to it, I was too hasty and didn't even look at who posted it. I thought you were SPE when I replied, and therefore I falsely attributed things he said to you. Therefore, I apologize about that. Regarding my "credibility", I don't write articles for Eurogamer in one of their big technical sections, so my "credibility" means fuck-all here. Take what I say or leave it, I don't give a fuck either way.

Now I'm really out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oops, crap. Didn't see you posted this and posted his whole blurb. He does specifically say it's better for some things, but I'm wondering if that's true. Only because I've read everywhere that Sony's solution is not only more powerful, but more elegant. But I'm no techie.

If it turns out Xbox has the better GPU solution again, I think a lot of folks will be munching on crow.

It won't be

- If the esram is 102GB/s that is still slower than the GDDR5 on PS4.
- If devs use it smartly (or MS automates it smartly) you can do some additive stuff like transferring from main memory while working on esram. That'll boost your effective bandwidth in some situations but still to less than Ps4 and then only in specific circumstances. You can't simply add both numbers up for all situations. Effectively Xbox one can become the more difficult to develop for console, putting hoops in place to jump through to get the most out of it. That was an issue for PS3
- is the esram enough? MS put 10Mb in 360 expecting it to be enough but game engines changed and it became less useful than initially anticipated. Will 32MB be enough for complex deferred rendering engines with multiple buffers worked on?
- PS4 has more fine grained compute scheduling so for small numbers of compute tasks you can more easily use part of a CU. on Xbox one you may need to reserve entire CUs. So PS4 GPU should be more efficient at mixed graphics/compute tasks. And with the relatively lower powered CPUs, you'll be seeing a lot of that I think.
- PS4 GPU is still 50% more powerful

Interesting news, this bandwidth increase brings up XBones theoretical speed to unlimited from unlimited (when you add in the infinite power of cloud)

I2amza

Yeah, I've done my part in this thread too. Now that it's been established that Leadbetter has no credibility and a long history of fanboyism, the rest of this thread can be left to fanboys and paid shills. I'm out.

I am not sure where you see that anything has been established lol. Unanimous or majority agreement = established. As of now nothing has been established.

To be honest, I never found Leadbetter to be that biased. I mean everyone has preferences so of course he has his own too, but he does try to stay more neutral than other journalists imo.

Massa

Leadbetter was specifically talking about how the the alpha effect from the PS3 version are intact in the 360 version. Alpha transparencies have always been an issue in PS3 games, as they require high memory bandwidth. Even first part PS3 games suffer from this - see the 8-bit style rain drops in GT5, or even the blocky shadows in TLoU (which is the most technically advanced console game ever).

The EDRAM of the 360 should mean that alpha transparencies should be better. But they weren't. It wasn't DF bellyaching that their beloved Xbox has been robbed of a port of majestic quality it deserves, but just highlighting how the devs hadn't used a basic 'free' hardware benefit in the 360 to make an improvement. He was berating lazy devs.

FWIW the terrible "lazy devs" term and bias pretty much always go hand in hand when it comes to face-offs. It was just interesting that it was part of the article for once, instead of the comments section where the fanboys usually respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom