• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munkybhai

Lol why?? What's going on? It's not like he revealed anything.

So she heard October 4th too? I know Pokémon trailer news is that day, but I would be happy to see Nintendo reveal it that day.

Why is Nintendo so damn strict? I swear Japan is way too strict. These guys over in America know our pain and they want to give us some hints here and there.

Probably the fact that the reveal would come in the form of a Nintendo Direct, and not a conference or other format.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
What happens if they sell the NX at $350?
Customers turn 350 degrees and walk away.
So they turn to the right by 10 degrees and practically keep moving toward the NX?

Fredrik

He said they would reveal it in a nintendo direct.
"Most likely"
This ninja stuff on even the vaguest little info or speculation is annoying! I don't get why they're so afraid to show it, who's going to copy their idea at this point?

Robiin

GAF is going to implode the day the NX is officially revealed, isn't it?

These threads are amazing. Everyone grasping at straws.

Clessidor

Honestly, they probably removed it because the way Andrew tells David they'll probably cut the interview short if there are questions NX, might be considered as rude?
The entire NX part of the interview just doest sound so unspecific that it only irritates. I really won't read much into it.

Probably the fact that the reveal would come in the form of a Nintendo Direct, and not a conference or other format.
Maybe the NX is a Nintendo Direct and he let it slip! Either why does it matter if they say they're doing a Direct now or next week?

It's not going to impact anything.

Phoenixus

In addition to Zelda they need to launch this thing with a suped up version of Sun and Moon. I know id double dip.

I'd love that too but it would put a sizable dent in their Christmas sales methinks if they announced it with the unveiling. Better to reveal the port/third version next year.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So either he wasn't guessing and the NX will be revealed via a Direct, or just mentioning it is a big no-no right now.

Malus

Lol, my thoughts exactly.

In all seriousness, what is so bad about $300-$350 range for a new console?

There's been so many arguments about price lol. All I'll say again is that I'd be pretty iffy paying $350 for what's been rumored and I'm a big Nintendo fan. It's definitely not an appealing number.

Sendou

Maybe the NX is a Nintendo Direct and he let it slip! Either why does it matter if they say they're doing a Direct now or next week?

It's not going to impact anything.

I think it's because nerds on forums not unlike this one overanalyze everything that is or isn't said and go nuts.

So either he wasn't guessing and the NX will be revealed via a Direct, or just mentioning it is a big no-no right now.

Probably the latter.

Though, the only time I've heard of a case of Nintendo asking for a redaction involved spilling the beans on something early (playable villains in Hyrule Warriors).

And it's reasonable to read those comments as "off the record" given the preceding statement.

Neoxon

If anything, NoC may have pulled it down because people may read too much into it.

That's not to say that the NX reveal won't be in a pre-recorded format, but we shouldn't take this as rock-solid evidence.

MuchoMalo

Banned

For a powerful console it's fine. For the rumored hybrid, it's suicide.

Or he was guessing and Nintendo didn't want people getting the wrong idea.

I think it's more that what has been rumored so far shouldn't cost nearly that much to manufacture, so it's a high asking price. It's more likely to launch for around $200-$250 unless there's a big expensive feature we haven't yet heard about.

The_Lump

Banned
For a powerful console it's fine. For the rumored hybrid, it's suicide.

I think it's more that what has been rumored so far shouldn't cost nearly that much to manufacture, so it's a high asking price. It's more likely to launch for around $200-$250 unless there's a big expensive feature we haven't yet heard about.

There's been so many arguments about price lol. All I'll say again is that I'd be pretty iffy paying $350 for what's been rumored and I'm a big Nintendo fan. It's definitely not an appealing number.

Fair enough. Maybe I'm expecting something in the higher end of the 'plausibility' scale ;)

Fair enough. Maybe I'm expecting something in the higher end of the plausible scale ;)

From what I've heard the actual processors in a console don't wind up costing relatively much on a BoM, so price doesn't really increase all that much when you increase processing power. So this potentially could have a top of line Pascal based Tegra with something like 700Gflops (not that it's likely) when connected to a power supply, and still not cost much more than $200.

If I'm not mistaken, storage space (HDD/SSD) is likely the most expensive single component in a standard console. Optical drives get up there too. Having this use carts/cards, while obvious since it's a portable, will likely save a good deal of money. That and the lack of an expensive 3D screen, lack of a proprietary streaming chip, and overall likely smaller package (than the Wii U) should all lower costs compared to their previous hardware.

DrWong

Can the OP be updated with a "NX rumor" twitter research script link? Or a nx rumor website generator? It'd save a lot of time to some of my fellow gaffers. And also mine :]

This is just make take on it, so take it for what it is.

1. There are already two more powerful (reportedly) consoles on the market at $300, often with a bundled game.

2. This is supposed to be the replacement for the 3DS as well as the Wii U and needs to be marketable to a handheld audience. The 3DS stumbled out of the gate at $250 and was lowered to $170 relatively quickly.

3. Nintendo still struggles a bit with third-party support. If they can release this at a low enough price to be a compelling "second system" mainly for first-party games they'd be doing themselves a favor. $200-250 starts to get into the impulse purchase area for some people. Above that could be tough.

Again, just my current opinion, and since we don't know much yet it can change.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Something is cooking

Someone say cooking?

Peachcooking.gif

jeffers

It has gotten to the point that at work I have a tab opened to google news with 'nintendo nx' news from the last 24 hours in case I miss anything...

Woffls

*attempts to contain excitement*

"Huh, rationale, what are you doing by the window? Get back here. No don't open th- oh c'moownnn. Not again."

NateDrake

Probably the latter.

Though, the only time I've heard of a case of Nintendo asking for a redaction involved spilling the beans on something early (playable villains in Hyrule Warriors).

And it's reasonable to read those comments as "off the record" given the preceding statement.

This. They probably asked for it to be removed as the comments weren't meant to confirm a Direct, as it is being interpreted as being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom