• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally VR PS4 Released

Maybe the things I didn't like change as you get deeper into the game?

I played three races of a "Preview Event" and the isolation (being the only car on the track) made it feel dull and lifeless. There was no background music whatsoever to pump me up for the action. And I got really sick of the co-pilot calls. I muted them by the third course, but that left me in a terrible spot because it was dark (night) and without a mini-map to see the next turn, I don't know, it just soured me.

I loved the original Sega Rally and Revo Arcade was awesome. The rally races in Forza Horizon 3 are really fun too. But I understand that this game is meant to be more simulation style, so maybe it's just not my cup of tea.
Man that sucks bumpkin. I was looking forward to your reaction being that you're one of the more hardcore VR guys in the threads. Personally car games started losing my interest as I began to drive IRL more and more. I'm 41 now.

Drive club VR annoyed me because of the poor distance rendering, but especially the arcadey feel which contrasted the gfx.

Even without a steering wheel setup, dirt rally VR is blowing my mind. It's super intense, and so much of my real world driving informs how I play it. And I don't even LIKE rally games! It's quite A SIMsim

Having the copilot guiding with directions a day doing your best to stay focused on the treacherous terrain...it really is quite intense.

Give it another shot.

Bollocks

is there a comparison yet between standard and pro?

I have Driveclub and it doesn't look too hot. I kinda have money to burn for the pro but only if it offers significant improvements.

bumpkin

Man that sucks bumpkin. I was looking forward to your reaction being that you're one of the more hardcore VR guys in the threads. Personally car games started losing my interest as I began to drive IRL more and more. I'm 41 now.

Drive club VR annoyed me because of the poor distance rendering, but especially the arcadey feel which contrasted the gfx.

Even without a steering wheel setup, dirt rally VR is blowing my mind. It's super intense, and so much of my real world driving informs how I play it. And I don't even LIKE rally games! It's quite A SIMsim

Having the copilot guiding with directions a day doing your best to stay focused on the treacherous terrain...it really is quite intense.

Give it another shot.
I'm trying, man. I'm trying. I finished the Preview Event, which apparently is just there while the game installs, in 2nd place. I then went into career mode, and the strikes against it (for my enjoyment) kept adding up. I didn't start with enough credits to get the car I wanted - I drive a Subaru Impreza IRL - so that was strike one. Then I tried one of the first championship events and I kept coming in last on every pace race. Strike two. I just can't wrap my head around how to effectively negotiate turns at high speed. So basically I end up getting passed by everyone on the first lap and I never see them again the rest of the race. Strike three.

Moreover I did a number on my car so I had to do repairs, which meant when I finished the pace races, I got 0 credits for the time and effort. I'm just not having any fun whatsoever.

I haven't bought the VR add-on yet, but it's interesting to see that video by "Team VVV" say that the handling is more arcade-ey in VR. I love arcade style rally games like Rally Cross 1 & 2 (on PS1), Sega Rally 1 (on the Saturn), Sega Rally 2 (on Dreamcast), Sega Rally Revo Arcade (on X360), and the rally events in Forza Horizon 3 (on XB1). But this game... I feel like it's the Dark Souls of rally racing games, and I don't like the Dark Souls of Dark Souls, so maybe this game is just too hardcore for me.

And that's a shame, because I was very, very excited about trying it in VR.

I'm trying, man. I'm trying. I finished the Preview Event, which apparently is just there while the game installs, in 2nd place. I then went into career mode, and the strikes against it (for my enjoyment) kept adding up. I didn't start with enough credits to get the car I wanted - I drive a Subaru Impreza IRL - so that was strike one. Then I tried one of the first championship events and I kept coming in last on every pace race. Strike two. I just can't wrap my head around how to effectively negotiate turns at high speed. So basically I end up getting passed by everyone on the first lap and I never see them again the rest of the race. Strike three.

Moreover I did a number on my car so I had to do repairs, which meant when I finished the pace races, I got 0 credits for the time and effort. I'm just not having any fun whatsoever.

I haven't bought the VR add-on yet, but it's interesting to see that video by "Team VVV" say that the handling is more arcade-ey in VR. I love arcade style rally games like Rally Cross 1 & 2 (on PS1), Sega Rally 1 (on the Saturn), Sega Rally 2 (on Dreamcast), Sega Rally Revo Arcade (on X360), and the rally events in Forza Horizon 3 (on XB1). But this game... I feel like it's the Dark Souls of rally racing games, and I don't like the Dark Souls of Dark Souls, so maybe this game is just too hardcore for me.

Check out the tutorial videos, they're really helpful especially the ones that explain how pace notes work, it is a hard game and you have to rely on weight transfer (use your Scandi-flicks) but practice as always makes perfect ;)

is there a comparison yet between standard and pro?

I have Driveclub and it doesn't look too hot. I kinda have money to burn for the pro but only if it offers significant improvements.
I have Pro. Drive club is not a good looking game. Aliasing issues abound and the game does a terrible job rendering track in the distance. The game is very fun if you enjoy a more arcade like feel. VR immersion will carry you most of the way past the technical limitations.

Dirt rally on the other hand...very nice.

It's funny because I've only played it in VR, and my idea of 'sim' is that it approximates real life. However, I wonder if the non VR mode is even more difficult (I've read that vr mode is easier)? I just assumed that because it was "sim enough", that I was making similar decisions to my real life choices.

If the game is so different and even more challenging, I can see how that would be a deterrent.

I couldn't enjoy this game 'flat' and in 2D. Like...not even a little. Especially if it was harder.

Also : use handbrake and slow down . Super effective for power sliding.

Slaying demon's in rally cars. But to be serious it isn't even all that difficult a sim, Richard Burns Rally is much less forgiving. Dirt Rally is more about replicating what rally actually is rather than the arcade games that have a skin that looks like rally but is really nothing of the sort. If you know how to drive then in VR you shouldn't have much of a problem, a lot of sims are horrible to play on a controller but Dirt Rally is massively forgiving in that regard even with all assists off. Start with the mini as it is very easy to drive and focus on driving cleanly rather than fast and look through corners not at them, soon you will be bombing it. Also try the Finland tracks when starting out as they are high speed with few nasty corners.

Aspiring

Dont know why you are comparing this to Sega Rally or any of the games you compared to. I mean sure they are rally but it's like comparing Asseto Corsa or Gran Turismo to Burnout. People loved this as it was a return to form of its rally roots rather than those gymkhana events and arcade style.

I say keep at it because once you get it its so bloody rewarding. But I have always loved rally in its purest form i guess.

jrcbandit

A friend of mine is going to lend me his wheel that you can hack to get to work on PS4, but I am not sure if it is even worth bothering since it doesn't include pedals? It's an older PS3 logitech wheel that does have force feedback at least. I kind of want the Thrustmaster T150 wheel, but I'd never use it outside of VR racing games so it seems a little steep at $150-200.

ManeKast

I already loved Dirt Rally but in VR it takes it to as I expected, the next level. So much more natural to play and immersive. Great job codies! Looks great to me (on a pro) but then I think Driveclub VR looks fine too. I'm more interested in smooth gameplay and the sense of immersion/realism and codies nailed it.

Love it.

Freeman76

That Dark Souls analogy is so true. This game is very tough, easily the toughest racer Ive played. Not to mention that you can spend 2 hours on a championship only to spin out on the last section, go over the edge and lose everything. Incredible rally game but so unforgiving.

It looks a lot better then those twitch videos. Racing games generally hate been streamed, the encoding just destroys the fast moving detail of the road/near objects textures etc.

Ok, i did a video earlier through my elgato with a wheel and pedal cam...quality is a LOT better, being in 60fps helps too as you can't stream in 60fps when using the PSVR.

Will drop it in here later on. People on the stream do comment about the gfx, but always tell em that it's not representative of what i see in the HMD.

I have never played DiRT Rally. Decided to pick it up last night because I was hopeful it would be a great PSVR title and WOW I was not disappointed. I absolutely loved it! It is definitely a must own title for anyone who owns PSVR and can stomach it. I don't usually get into racing games and I couldn't stop playing it.

Here is the stream of me playing last night if interested:
https://youtu.be/g856PEoFfX4

bumpkin

That Dark Souls analogy is so true. This game is very tough, easily the toughest racer Ive played. Not to mention that you can spend 2 hours on a championship only to spin out on the last section, go over the edge and lose everything. Incredible rally game but so unforgiving.
I've been sticking with it. I played for 2-3 hours last night and another 2 or so hours today. I finished the first Open Championship in 3rd place overall. I had a couple of spot 2nd place finishes and a 1st place once. There's techniques I just don't understand (like drifting) and still feel generally anxious when I get any sort of speed going on the tracks. I'm constantly worried that I'm going to lose traction and not be able to make the next turn; and it happens often. I have slightly better luck if I let off the throttle here and there and feather it on sketchy turns, but I still slow down to nearly a crawl on some turns (mainly hair-pins or acute) which costs me valuable time. I went with the MINI S as my first vehicle. Not my first choice as I just don't like MINIs IRL, but I saw others say it's one of the most balanced starter cars.

I'm not terribly surprised that I can't get my head around drifting in the game. I can't do it on Forza Horizon 3 either. I was a master at power slides in games like Ridge Racer and Sega Rally's version of drifting, but the feel is much different. Anyone have any tips/tricks?

I've been inching closer and closer to biting on the VR add-on, but I'm really worried it's going to make me feel sick. I've tried the Drive Club demo and that didn't bother me driving around, so long as I didn't end up in a wild tail-spin or flip the car a lot.

sourc3d

Tried playing using my T500RS wheel over the weekend, damn if the default settings in game are awful. FFB seems analogue, its either on or off and steering was massively heavy and not very communicative.

I'm sure there will be some settings I can dial in to make it feel more natural and i'll have a hunt through the forums when I get a chance, but out of the box its a travesty.

I'd built myself up for this life affirming out of body rallying god experience combining the wheel setup and VR, but I actually went back to playing with the pad after only a couple of goes with my wheel, quite disappointing considering its sweet as a nut in DC/VR, PCARS, and GT's without any real tweaks being needed.

CoolNumber9

I bought the VR expansion and love the way it feels now but damn I just wish I could get my VR legs. 5 min into the race I'm already getting sweaty and sick feeling. I guess I'm gonna have to try dramamine or something lol.

I love this game. Handbrake forever.

I don't like the hood cam (too far forward), but I like the view a little bit forward and above the cockpit position. So before the race I temporarily scrunch down and backwards a bit and reset the view by holding option. Then when the race starts my POV is right where I want it.

Just got the PS VR retail version of this game and god damn.

Played for 2 hours straight, no interruptions. Feeling of presence in VR is every bit as good as Driveclub's (which is spectacular), the game looks fantastic in VR on a Pro and the gameplay is so intense and so fun. Every second of it you'll be sweating bullets from the tension.

Probably the best VR game I've played thus far (Driveclub being second), and I've played every game that has a demo on PS4, and Project Cars and Redout on PC.

Absolutely essential game.

TheBear

I have a T300RS and own Dirt Rally on PC. I played it a few times but it never really clicked with me. I hesitated purchasing it again but curiosity got the best of me so I got it. I am really glad I did because it, alongside RE7, is easily one of the best VR experiences out there. Drifting sideways whilst looking out the driver's side window and doing it just naturally was just blowing my mind. As someone who is involved in motorsport it just blows my mind how much closer to the real thing it is compared to playing on a flat screen.

I do have one minor complaint. The sound effects coming through the 3D audio can sometimes sound a bit tinny? Like pulling up the handbrake on tarmac.

Anyway, game is rad, super impressed on how they managed to do it on PSVR

StaSeb

I am getting my disc-version of the game tomorrow and have one important question, before I organize a wheel and pedals from a mate in a hurry: Is everything on the disc or are any additional downloads or patches needed? This might delay things due to my crappy internet connection.

So, how many GBs are there to download?

seb

Banned
This is currently 25€ on the EU PSN. Is it worth it for an occasional player? How is the sickness factor? I can barely stand the drivelub VR demo :/

This is currently 25€ on the EU PSN. Is it worth it for an occasional player? How is the sickness factor? I can barely stand the drivelub VR demo :/

it's a great rally game. But be sure to understand what rally racing is before getting into it. Check some youtube reviews. Or pure gameplay like AnythingBut's recent one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eh1jd4EX8

It has some more comfortability options for VR but is made by the same team as Driveclub so similar sickness might occur.

Top Bottom