• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity Canceled; Disney Exits Console Publishing; Avalanche Shut [Statement]

2699626-hkofq.png

His Twitter is super sad. :(

Hope he lands on his feet. He really, really loved that job.

Terrible to hear. I'm pretty sure one of my favourite teachers this semester at the UofU worked closely with them, at least a while ago. Bummer :/

Disney is sitting on a gold mine. They have pretty good synergy with their products, except console games. The thing is, the blue print for critical and commercial successful games similar to their IPs is out there (Uncharted - Indy, Nintendo games - Disney/Pixar games, Marvel/LA can be pretty much any genre so inspiration from any story driven game)

I'm not mad at the licensing model, for now, and even if they had a full in house publishing house, a licensing model might still be good given the amount of IPs to be exploited. I think LA games actually got revived after the acquisition, would still hope for original sequels and games from LA eventually. Star Wars is doing well with EA, Battlefront 2, Hennig's game, and Asmussen's game are coming, plus more we don't know about. I would really hope for a KOTOR 2 or original RPG game from Bioware.

Besides SW though, all other Disney brands are poorly represented in the videogames realm and maybe this would start up a change.

Yeah, but this is very similar to what preceded their acquisition of Marvel when they sold off the rights to Power Rangers and scuttled a bunch of other projects that were more 'boy-centric'.

Disney has tried the publishing/developing video game business 3 or 4 times, always half assing it. If they are going to try again, I would think they would go big or go home, i.e. get a major publisher or two and leave them the hell alone to do what they do best (i.e. like LucasFilm, Pixar, or Marvel). I'm talking about Nintendo, Activision, EA, or at the very least something like WBIE or Take 2. I don't think Eiger will try half assing it again. Most industries that Disney competes in, cruises notwithstanding, they are in it to be #1 and dominate.

Also they got rid of their adult movie subsidiaries (Miramax, Hollywood, and Touchstone is just distributing dreamworks movies now, who knows what will happen to them once the contract is over and Comcast finalizes the acquisition) and never replaced them. So I wouldn't take this to mean they are going for a purchase in the gaming industry.

If no one officially handles Disney games anymore, that bring the Nintendo / Disney rumor to mind.

Interesting rumor. Only way I see Disney licensing to an exclusive provider though is if they get more than just royalties back. They have no reason to license their properties to only reach a limited audience. Either higher royalties, or more likely, something like the ability to use Nintendo characters in their other properties or, in the case of spidey rumors, get full spiderman movie rights from sony after giving them all the shit they are giving them.

Will be interesting what will happen at E3, we know they have a Marvel game licensed to TT. Probably think it's a point and click avengers game, which could be good if the quality is like that of TWD games.

One idea I just came up with is Nintendo and Disney working together to have TT Fusion (the Lego City Undercover team most specifically) to work on Pixar games as the main Traveller's Tales team did long ago. TT Fusion made non-Lego games before like Spy Hunter 3DS and Vita.

That or have Nintendo and Disney get Heavy Iron Studios back on them. They did the Wii U versions of Disney Infinity 1.0 and 2.0 (maybe also 3.0), now what are they going to do? This would let them go back to their Pixar game days.

I'm honestly not surprised. Lego had arguably the biggest IP power behind it but it came late into a market that already had three competitors against it in a genre that requires significant financial and spacial investment, meaning you can't really regularly keep up with more than one. I would be very, very surprised if Lego Dimensions didn't also peter out by the end of the year.
Maybe, but we got Lego Dr Who out of it, so it was worth it.

Saw that people were throwing around the idea of Disney licensing their IPs for LEGO Dimensions?
WB has Star Wars Legos but it seems like Disney blocked them from adding them to Lego dimensions.
They're releasing LEGOs based on classic disney characters as well
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202408
WBIE needs to jump on this shit ASAP.
Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Marvel and Disney classics for Dimensions 2!

WBIE needs to jump on this shit ASAP.
Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Marvel and Disney classics for Dimensions 2!
Not that it'll happen, but I think people would give the lack of X-Men and Fantastic Four (still reckon after that abysmal reboot SOMETHING has gotta give there with Fox) a pass if instead of MvsC3 we got a full-on Marvel Vs. DC.

Read the news as well. Sad indeed. Hope everyone from Avalanche manages to find other companies to work at. :(

Would have wanted to buy a lot of those DI figures (I only have Elsa from Disney Movie Rewards), but alas not seeing Captain Marvel in DI figure form is a huge bummer for me. :(

I'm still hoping for more remastered Disney-Capcom games and if Capcom can do another Marvel fighting game. But as mentioned, they would have trouble obtaining a license to use said characters,

Top Bottom