• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

75 hours later and the credit finished rolling just now. Now I am feeling empty inside.
The final boss was kinda disappointing. But overall one of the best games I've played in the last decade.

Oops, I was rather vague. Specfically gear, although I honestly am not sure of the relative depth of the system. Can you give weapons
elemental damage
or is it all just
+stats, +skills, etc.?

Yes, you can, use the essence.

Yes, you can, use the essence.

Ok, thanks.

One more question, I'm not sure if I'm going crazy but I swear I'm getting a few random ability points (not the +1 per level or w/e it is) as I have been leveling up. I swear I don't remember spending my earned points on the abilities. Am I crazy?

Edit: Tacking on another question.

I'm aware I can
teleport
my own characters. Do they
suffer damage
from doing so?

justjim89

I will say in spite of some of my misgivings, I put a few more hours into the investigation quest today and I'm really having a lot of fun with it. I love the stealth mechanic where you can have the girl talk to someone and distract them while my dude sneaks around looting the joint in a barrel like a medieval Solid Snake. I must've stolen everything tied down in Esmerelda's place and then sold it back to her. So so satisfying. It actually gives the stealthier classes meaning instead of just being back-stabby dudes in combat. I will say I was spoiled a bit about one tip because on the Giant Bomb QL they said how valuable paintings were and damn they weren't kidding! Gonna swipe every one I see from now on.

The quest itself is interesting too thus far in that no one seems to be the clear cut culprit, it could be anyone, though I still need to find one of the suspects I passed her house but it was locked. I also apparently need a shovel to dig up Jake's grave, though I did find a note from the mortician saying that the body was gone. And damn it I love the writing for the dog, it's just like how I'd imagine a dog would talk.

Still haven't found any other companions, though I did turn down the offer to join some kind of guild because the dude outside the tavern seemed extra shady.

Can I buy lockpicks anywhere? I invested a point in lockpicking but I guess I still need to actually get picks somewhere.

SRG01

So... Is it possible to solve the main-quest line in Cyseal involving the murder without stealing, breaking and entering? It feels out of character for Torcher and Selena. With one exception;
Stealing the Orc's necklace to save her life.
If a key lies around or if a door simply opens, though...that's another story. :p

The only lead I have is gathering smelly stuff for Jake the dog. I think I can get Esmeralda arrested, i've found enough evidence in her basement, but I don't think she actually did it. I might just continue exploring the wilderness, maybe level up to 8 and perhaps even find the source of the undead outbreak, which I figure is connected to Soure magic which in it's turn might reveal the people using said magic in town.

Regarding that quest:
Explore enough of the city until you find someone that tells you the suspects. After that, it should be pretty straightforward.

And I heavily suggest clearing all of the surrounding areas before going any further down the main plot line. One big problem with D:OS is that the level requirements aren't clearly laid out so be prepared to reload lots.

Ok, thanks.

One more question, I'm not sure if I'm going crazy but I swear I'm getting a few random ability points (not the +1 per level or w/e it is) as I have been leveling up. I swear I don't remember spending my earned points on the abilities. Am I crazy?

Edit: Tacking on another question.

I'm aware I can
teleport
my own characters. Do they
suffer damage
from doing so?

Yes, they'll take damage until you get the safe-teleport spell or the self-teleport abilities

I will say in spite of some of my misgivings, I put a few more hours into the investigation quest today and I'm really having a lot of fun with it. I love the stealth mechanic where you can have the girl talk to someone and distract them while my dude sneaks around looting the joint in a barrel like a medieval Solid Snake. I must've stolen everything tied down in Esmerelda's place and then sold it back to her. So so satisfying. It actually gives the stealthier classes meaning instead of just being back-stabby dudes in combat. I will say I was spoiled a bit about one tip because on the Giant Bomb QL they said how valuable paintings were and damn they weren't kidding! Gonna swipe every one I see from now on.

The quest itself is interesting too thus far in that no one seems to be the clear cut culprit, it could be anyone, though I still need to find one of the suspects I passed her house but it was locked. I also apparently need a shovel to dig up Jake's grave, though I did find a note from the mortician saying that the body was gone. And damn it I love the writing for the dog, it's just like how I'd imagine a dog would talk.

Still haven't found any other companions, though I did turn down the offer to join some kind of guild because the dude outside the tavern seemed extra shady.

Can I buy lockpicks anywhere? I invested a point in lockpicking but I guess I still need to actually get picks somewhere.

Companions:
Madora in the Inn, and the spellcaster on the second floor of the Mayor's house. Can also hire party members later

Lockpicks:
The ingredients merchant sells lockpicks. Or you can craft them with Nine Inch Nails + Hammer, or Needle + Needle. They get pretty cheap later in the game, and NII are pretty useful for other things...

There is an option for that in the menu.

There's a WHAT in the main menu?! :( And I only find this out after I finish the game?

No, you are not. It's from your traits.

There's a WHAT in the main menu?! :( And I only find this out after I finish the game?

It's advised against though because the game visual is optimized to be viewed from a certain direction. Looking at it from other directions might get weird, and ugly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man... I'm really having a hard time staying interested since entering the second big area. Is this story ever going to get interesting? The last few play sessions have been me just walking around the map and slaughtering every enemy goblin/whatever that comes in my path, but the combat is starting to get a bit same-y.

I'm also starting to dislike how easy it is to exploit the environment by setting up objects to block the path of enemies. It would be fine if the AI could cope with it by breaking boxes and such, but they just stand there dumbfounded.

This is turning into another Skyrim situation for me where the first 20 hours seemed so magical, but the illusion began to fell apart after that point. Maybe I just don't do so well with games that offer immense freedom. They tend to end up feeling so pointless after you test their boundaries and get results that are less than satisfying.

Man... I'm really having a hard time staying interested since entering the second big area. Is this story ever going to get interesting? The last few play sessions have been me just walking around the map and slaughtering every enemy goblin/whatever that comes in my path, but the combat is starting to get a bit same-y.

I'm also starting to dislike how easy it is to exploit the environment by setting up objects to block the path of enemies. It would be fine if the AI could cope with it by breaking boxes and such, but they just stand there dumbfounded.

This is turning into another Skyrim situation for me where the first 20 hours seemed to magical, but the illusion began to fell apart after that point. Maybe I just don't do so well with games that offer immense freedom. They tend to end up feeling so pointless after you test their boundaries and get results that are less than satisfying.

The story is getting better, if you actually follow the quest line and pay attention.
Everything else I kinda agree. But still an amazing game in my opinion.

huxley00

I can understand why people complain about the lack of direction. I think the problems is that there is good information somewhere in the stack of generic chatty dialogue, people talk and talk and talk and talk and you really need to pay attention. I wish certain chat options were one-time only unless they are important.

huxley00

This is turning into another Skyrim situation for me where the first 20 hours seemed to magical, but the illusion began to fell apart after that point. Maybe I just don't do so well with games that offer immense freedom. They tend to end up feeling so pointless after you test their boundaries and get results that are less than satisfying.
I was in the same boat, about 1/3rd of the way into the
White Witch
storyline, I think it got much more interesting.

nbthedude

I can understand why people complain about the lack of direction. I think the problems is that there is good information somewhere in the stack of generic chatty dialogue, people talk and talk and talk and talk and you really need to pay attention. I wish certain chat options were one-time only unless they are important.
There is a solution for that.

Speed read/skim the dialog you arent invested In. The journal always keeps a summary of the most important bits.

nbthedude

I think I finally warmed up to the world a bit, the whimsical nature really annoyed me at first, but I think I really hit my stride with it in
The Faerie area with the snowmen wardens, the criminals are funny and the snowmen are pretty hilarious. I love the whole area, so well done. I think the game falls a bit flat when its trying to be serious and funny at the same time, this area really does a good job of not taking itself too seriously and being over the top and humorous,

I put in about 25 hours so far, decided to start over as a rogue/wizard combo and try to roleplay the characters a bit more (my girlfriend and her sister are the heroes, forever bickering lol). Fun times
That was definitely my favorite area so far. Madora comments about the snowmen are hilarious.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I probably should've rerolled sooner but now I'm almost 50 hours in and there is no going back. I benched Madora and didn't even realize Jahan could be recruited until much much later on. I feel like I'm probably missing out on some interesting story revelations without them in my group.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I probably should've rerolled sooner but now I'm almost 50 hours in and there is no going back. I benched Madora and didn't even realize Jahan could be recruited until much much later on. I feel like I'm probably missing out on some interesting story revelations without them in my group.

Not really, they both have little stories but they don't really go anywhere.

One's racist against magic users and the other it a mad hippy who is racist against demonic things. That's all I gathered by the time I hit level 9 on my longest run ..

nbthedude

Not really, they both have little stories but they don't really go anywhere.

They are really charming though. Especially Madora. I love the way she is written as a kind of folksy country folk warrior who exhibits prejudices but is willing to back down gently when she offends you newfangled city folks and your ways.

She's great.

I FINALLY beat this!

101 hours. Rung every last quest dry.
Loved it, though I HATED the last boss. Only reason I beat him was a random Lava scroll I had in my pack, since every single member of my party would miss every single time they attacked. I don't understand what they were thinking here.
I'm exhausted.

Sothpaw

They are really charming though. Especially Madora. I love the way she is written as a kind of folksy country folk warrior who exhibits prejudices but is willing to back down gently when she offends you newfangled city folks and your ways.

She's great.

Plus anyone out for revenge is OK in my book.

Brakke

Banned
So what's the deal with the bloodstones? Are they missable? I solved the murder last night but I only have the one--for Hall of Heroes. I have two inert stones... are those related?

d1rtn4p

Late game question

How many Star Stones do you need to get past the Ascension door that blocks you in the Source Temple? I have 14 so far...

epmode

So what's the deal with the bloodstones? Are they missable? I solved the murder last night but I only have the one--for Hall of Heroes. I have two inert stones... are those related?

When used, bloodstones become star stones which are the same thing that affected you when you first unlocked the homestead. Star stones are activated automatically and they become inert. You'll probably want to hold on to the inert stones.

edit: I'm not sure if the inert stones are actually required for anything.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was in the same boat, about 1/3rd of the way into the
White Witch
storyline, I think it got much more interesting.

Thanks for the reply!

I think I'll check out that bit in the spoiler when I play tonight. I haven't been there yet, but it's on my map.

Brakke

Banned
When used, bloodstones become star stones which are the same thing that affected you when you first unlocked the homestead. Star stones are activated automatically and they become inert. You'll probably want to hold on to the inert stones.

Wait so... if I have a second inert stone then I must've gotten a Star Stone without noticing? Is it one stone per room in The End of Time? The are bloodstones like... side quest rewards?

epmode

Wait so... if I have a second inert stone then I must've gotten a Star Stone without noticing?

Sounds like it. Every time you see that crazy blue spell effect on everyone in your party, a new inert stone has been made.

Is it one stone per room in The End of Time?

I believe so, yes.

I'm not sure how all of the blood stones are acquired since I'm only in act 2 but the ones I found were pretty sidequesty.

Saprol

Am I supposed to be picking those up? I haven't done anything in the main quest yet besides find the first
two inside the town.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Aww crud.

Special C

SO... I Leveled up in a well cave, and then my screen went black and all wonky. I have to go back to a previous save to do anything, and it happens again when I level up. Is this a known bug?

DMiz

... Wait, what?!

epmode

... Wait, what?!

I've read a few posts from people advising players to hold on to their inert stones since you'll need them to finish the game. Now that I'm looking it up, there's conflicting information. Does anyone know for sure if inert stones are required for anything at all?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The most hardcore RPG I've played is probably New Vegas, and I didn't enjoy the original Dragon Age much... Would I like this game?

What would you say made you not care for DA:O? Divinity: OS is much quicker and a little more active than DA I'd say but I don't know if that would really get to the root of the problem for you.

For what it's worth, from a pure gameplay perspective I vastly prefer D:OS.

As an aside, I really wish co-op saves weren't dependent on a single player. My co-op buddy pinko marx's laptop shit the bed and ate our save. With no cloud saving enabled, this kinda left us out in the cold. I feel like the game should have at least been making redundancy saves to my computer in the event that something bad happened. I know it isn't Larian's or his fault, but it just makes me wish for more robust systems in place to prevent loss. Especially when the save is 35 hours in.

What would you say made you not care for DA:O? Divinity: OS is much quicker and a little more active than DA I'd say but I don't know if that would really get to the root of the problem for you.

For what it's worth, from a pure gameplay perspective I vastly prefer D:OS.

I would say the potion chugging aspect of early Dragon Age bothered me significantly.

Less so was the art style, which I didn't care for, but would have put up with if I enjoyed the gameplay.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I would say the potion chugging aspect of early Dragon Age bothered me significantly.

Less so was the art style, which I didn't care for, but would have put up with if I enjoyed the gameplay.

Potions are pretty difficult to come by compared to the bountiful poultice chugging in DA:O. Battles are much more about strategy. Positioning, using the elements to your advantage, good combos of classes that bounce off of each other well. It's a very different beast.

Potions are pretty difficult to come by compared to the bountiful poultice chugging in DA:O. Battles are much more about strategy. Positioning, using the elements to your advantage, good combos of classes that bounce off of each other well. It's a very different beast.

Okay I think I'm going to dive in... Thanks!

Llyranor

So in my current session, we finally obtain featherfall (teleport without damage). So, the first thing we do is commit cold-blooded murder on the cheese vendor by dragging him into an isolated area. No remorse. Oh yeah, and the 'halibut. sheep's cheese. tomatoes' lady too.

Pancakes

Max intelligence on my debuffer is making this game a breeze now. 150% chance to inflict blind is amazing (at least when they aren't immune).

Hardest fight so far has probably been the
Immaculate chapel fight, only because you get ambushed by 6 enemies at once who are all immune to poison, fire, and have massive debuff skills and healing abilities. My main dude was basically invincible thanks to leech but my backline got swamped.

syko de4d

So finished the game on hard.

Was pretty good but not epic. I would give it a 7/10 (thats not a IGN 7/10, where 7 means crap :p). Story is nothing breath taking, writing is okay, combat ist fun but maybe to easy/unbalance, the inventory system is not that great and the loot/items are not that special.

Pancakes

My only gripe with the game is the clunk inventory system and terrible puzzle design.

Vyer

So I'm fairly early on, first area. Got a question about character deaths.
During the fight with Evelyn, Madora died. So should I just reload? If I go and find a Resurrect Scroll I take it her remains will be gone? Does it even matter? I have the Hall of Heroes or whatever and I know you can create another character I'm just curious if that's a good idea.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I'm fairly early on, first area. Got a question about character deaths.
During the fight with Evelyn, Madora died. So should I just reload? If I go and find a Resurrect Scroll I take it her remains will be gone? Does it even matter? I have the Hall of Heroes or whatever and I know you can create another character I'm just curious if that's a good idea.

The body will actually go to the nearest petal I think. It will stay there indefinitely until you resurrect it.

Top Bottom