• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Durante

So in my current session, we finally obtain featherfall (teleport without damage). So, the first thing we do is commit cold-blooded murder on the cheese vendor by dragging him into an isolated area. No remorse. Oh yeah, and the 'halibut. sheep's cheese. tomatoes' lady too.
I never thought about using Featherfall that way. I guess I'm just not evil enough :p

But it really is an amazingly useful spell in battle. Even more so if you design your initiative around it a bit, so that the featherfall caster's turn happens before your main melee characters.

Riposte

So in my current session, we finally obtain featherfall (teleport without damage). So, the first thing we do is commit cold-blooded murder on the cheese vendor by dragging him into an isolated area. No remorse. Oh yeah, and the 'halibut. sheep's cheese. tomatoes' lady too.

I like the way you think.

Picobrain

Banned
After playing few hours yesterday I've decided i like this game and I'm gonna buy it.
btw are there going to be any other locations like jungles?

Tash

You killed David Mitchell!!

AllenShrz

And Im done with this game.

Is good but not for me, it takes TOO LONG to do anything here. 10 hrs in and I feel I did nothing.

At my 29yrs, I just have the time to invest in these kind of games unless they grab me from the start like DAO, Witcher, DS, Xcom, Front Mission.

duckroll

Just about to start as a ranger (first game) difference between crossbow/bow? I assume crossbow hits harder?

Crossbows do more damage in general, but my experience is that they're harder to come by, and it doesn't seem worthwhile when it takes 6 AP to fire a crossbow compared to 5 AP for a bow. That 1 AP difference actually factors in quite a bit in practical terms too, since if you have 10 AP it's a difference between having one shot or two shots, and when you take Expert Marksmen skills into consideration, it can be a matter of being able to shoot once in a turn and conserve AP to allow for the use of a skill in the next turn.

Sentenza

Crossbows do more damage in general, but my experience is that they're harder to come by, and it doesn't seem worthwhile when it takes 6 AP to fire a crossbow compared to 5 AP for a bow. That 1 AP difference actually factors in quite a bit in practical terms too, since if you have 10 AP it's a difference between having one shot or two shots, and when you take Expert Marksmen skills into consideration, it can be a matter of being able to shoot once in a turn and conserve AP to allow for the use of a skill in the next turn.
it's actually 6AP vs 4AP, which makes your argument even more grounded, by the way.

Llyranor

Halibut. Sheep's cheese. Tomatoes.

No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Halibut. Sheep's cheese. Tomatoes.

Be the big cheese on your block with a wheel of the good stuff!

HALIBUT. SHEEP'S CHEESE. TOMATOES!!!!!!

---

NO MORE, you little turds!

Just dinged lvl 7 and I feel like I am not being creative with my spell elemental combos. Anyone have some suggestions? Also should I sign up my mages for the glass cannon trait? Seems like a no brainer.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This game is so dumb. It's so dumb. I love it.
Asking that statue to show you your future brought me to tears.

This is so weird, the game takes itself fairly serious for the most part but then they randomly throw stuff like this in your way.

Tommyhawk

Welp, I've finally finished the game after around 70h.

It is one of the best RPGs I've played in years and a serious GOTY contender.
Let's start with the negative points, the story was imho a bit shallow and some of the puzzles were annoying since you had to find some tiny and hard to spot switch. And yeah, that's all that bothered me.

The combat is fantastic and I will seriously miss it in other TB games.
Kirill's music is phenomenal and I'm really glad that I have it on my drive. I also liked how the set the tone throughout the game. They've managed to deliver many light hearted moments but also a lot of gruesome scenes and unpleasant consequences to some of my decisions.
I have also never felt bored or annoyed with the game or the areas (DA:O the fade and the deep roads :barf:)

All in all a truly memorable and great game which I enjoyed a ton.

I think my biggest issue is the sheer amount of inventory management and bartering I have to do, which is exacerbated by some strange inventory and bartering UI decisions.

Oh, and the writing is far too florid and over the top for most NPCs.

Apart from that, it's pretty fantastic.

danthefan

Please tell me there's some way to get rid of
slow
in the
desert
area. Because
I just got my ass handed to me on a plate by the first group of spiders I came across.

epmode

I think my biggest issue is the sheer amount of inventory management and bartering I have to do, which is exacerbated by some strange inventory and bartering UI decisions.

I feel like a lot of the strange UI decisions have to do with the way the game is always in multiplayer mode, even when you're in single player. It makes inventory and crafting a lot more fiddly than it needs to be.

I'd really like to try the co-op mode but I figure I'll finish my current game first.

This game is so dumb. It's so dumb. I love it.
Asking that statue to show you your future brought me to tears.

This is so weird, the game takes itself fairly serious for the most part but then they randomly throw stuff like this in your way.

Re: the bolded, that was a slowclap.gif moment for me. Just an incredible thing to pull off.

SO... I Leveled up in a well cave, and then my screen went black and all wonky. I have to go back to a previous save to do anything, and it happens again when I level up. Is this a known bug?

Turning on ambient occlusion might help. I was having the same problem and that seemed to resolve if.

Brakke

Banned
Wait... hired henchmen start at level 1?? I didn't even look into that until I was 7 myself... Also you can't customize? Why would I want any charisma on a henchman?

Lame.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wait... hired henchmen start at level 1?? I didn't even look into that until I was 7 myself... Also you can't customize? Why would I want any charisma on a henchman?

Lame.

Hired henchman do not all start at level 1. Keep scrolling. Higher level henchmen cost more money to recruit.

Esch

Banned
This game is too awesome man. I was just about to stop caring about gaming, now they pull me back in with this. Love everything about it.

Noaloha

Henchmen will level up to meet you, in case you weren't aware. You're level 9 and you like the look of a level 3 henchman? Recruit them, then speak to them and dismiss. Then speak to them again (they'll just hang out in that room after you've gone through the hiring process) and they'll immediately receive however much EXP they need to ding up to your level.

---

I woke up with an idea for a small single-room type scenario and decided to start exploring the Divinity Engine editor. I've never done any modding or coding whatsoever, but this looks fun. Managed to make a silly test building, etc. Hopefully I can play around with stuff to a point where this idea starts to work. Anyway, reason I say this -- as part of my poking around in guides and tutorials, I came across someone else's work in the form of this proof of concept test level:

:)

10353255_10203533777118210_8831019097745332956_o.jpg

Just picked this up, I'm a huge fan of rpgs but this game looks intimidating as hell. Went with Ranger Wizard, here's hoping I won't be restarting 5 hours in....

lol who am I kidding, theres like an 90% chance
KuGsj.gif

Brakke

Banned
Hired henchman do not all start at level 1. Keep scrolling. Higher level henchmen cost more money to recruit.

Oh huh. I just saw all the classes and then stopped. The midlevel options are lame though... Here's a cleric with no magic skills. But don't worry, they took arrow recovery talent! ...and no bow skills...

ICKE

Banned
Does someone here know where I can buy or find a lava scroll so I
can just instakill the final boss

Just want to finish the game now since there's no point wasting more hours on pointless grinding.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Oh huh. I just saw all the classes and then stopped. The midlevel options are lame though... Here's a cleric with no magic skills. But don't worry, they took arrow recovery talent! ...and no bow skills...

There are some henchman who are specced very well and others who are wonky. The balsam summerfire ranger is one of my best party members.

duckroll

Just picked this up, I'm a huge fan of rpgs but this game looks intimidating as hell. Went with Ranger Wizard, here's hoping I won't be restarting 5 hours in....

Keep in mind that classes don't really mean anything beyond being a template for early game where it gives you a set of stats and basic skills to guide a play style. It's fairly easy to disconnect from that template and just look at what other options you have based on your stats - you could decide to start using a different type of weapon, or picking up another skill set, etc. The game is pretty lenient on what is viable too, so even if it might not be a totally optimal build, if you're having fun with it, you can probably do pretty well in combat by being tactical. You can also balance out your weaknesses using other party members. Don't be afraid to look at the options the henchmen offer and hire something that would meet your needs.

danthefan

Have a bit of a problem, I need to get to
Hunter's Edge
but it seems I never activated the portal at the
Immaculate Village
and I can't remember how I got over there... was it through the
mines?
Because I can't go through them anymore.

duckroll

Have a bit of a problem, I need to get to
Hunter's Edge
but it seems I never activated the portal at the
Immaculate Village
and I can't remember how I got over there... was it through the
mines?
Because I can't go through them anymore.

There's a special warp in the basement of the church in Silverglen, which teleports you to the area where you can walk to the village. The waypoint for the village is just below the entrance.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Are there any other Man at Arms skillbook vendors besides the Legion commander and the dude chilling in the bar at silverglen? I'm trying to respec my knight but I don't want to lose cure wounds.

lilltias

Love the game, hate that you have to send all the stuff you want to sell to your character with the best bartering. Inventory is a mess =/

DagsJT

Anyone know a good beginner guide? I'm interested in picking this up but read it's VERY important to get your character right from the off.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Anyone know a good beginner guide? I'm interested in picking this up but read it's VERY important to get your character right from the off.

Nah, it doesn't matter much. You can change up your character how you please.

ICKE

Banned
Nevermind that lava scroll, finally finished the game!!!

My God the void dragon was tough to beat, had to use all sorts of knockdown arrows and spells to keep those summons in check.

The game was great but I think it flowed better when I was trying to find the white witch, the last chapter and all the puzzles were very difficult

KingKong

Quick question - I see this game is getting patched a lot, is it stable enough to buy now or still pretty buggy/missing features?

BPoole

I wish the bartering screen would have inventory management that the regular inventory as. Being ble to sort by most expensive would be pretty helpful.

Quick question - I see this game is getting patched a lot, is it stable enough to buy now or still pretty buggy/missing features?

The game is stable, and not missing anything. Those patches are just for small stuffs. The last big one is some new AI profiles for followers. But nothing game breaking bugs or anything like that.

Top Bottom